So, You Want to be an Imagineer Season 15: Uniting Universal (Official Hub Thread)

Poe Dameron

There's no set timeline yet. Been working on secret with @DisneyFan18 on select parts of the park, with a focus on making things swiftly but also to a high standard.

What are your ideas?
I remember reading about a Don Bluth land back in the summer. Not exactly sure how that could fit into either of the parks so far, but since people have been concerned about options for kids in the parks, that may be a way to find a balance. The Land Before Time and Anastasia both have attraction potential.

D Hulk

I remember reading about a Don Bluth land back in the summer. Not exactly sure how that could fit into either of the parks so far, but since people have been concerned about options for kids in the parks, that may be a way to find a balance. The Land Before Time and Anastasia both have attraction potential.
Thanks for the input! Don Bluth's work certainly has some theme park potential. As UniSEA presently stands, however, it no longer needs new lands I'm afraid.

@DisneyFan18's work on Pokémon: The Kanto Region is great. It's shaping up to be exactly the child-friendly land the park needed! Near it is Zelda's Hyrule, and an expansion pad where we're considering How to Train Your Dragon, and amongst those 3 lands I'd say there's plenty to draw in families. The rest is more teen-focused, in contrast to the younger-skewing UniMK.

Right now, to anybody, UniSEA is a skeleton which needs meat on its bones. With Pokémon nearing completion, that leaves:

Hogsmeade (especially the Hogwarts boutique hotel - @kmbmw777, I think you had some thoughts there?)

Victorian London (no-IP entry land, with possible Potter expansion)

Skull Island (King Kong 1933 theme)

Wells Laboratories (19th century sci-fi, direct literary adaptations, not film-based)

Zelda's Hyrule

Transylvania (Universal Monsters, 30s & 40s versions)

Expansion pad (earmarked for HTTYD, also considered for a LOTR license, an original Greek myth land, or other possibilities)

spacemt354

Chili's
For me the drawback of including Land Before Time as a land would mostly be that it's a favorite of a generation - but I would wager it isn't as memorable to other generations. Which makes it difficult to slot in over things that, if a new theme park was being built, would probably slide ahead of it like what seems to be being built over in Bejing.
la-trb-universal-studios-beijing-china-2019-20150218

A lot of the ideas first presented were more steeped in nostalgia and classic Universal, Don Bluth, Jaws, E.T., Back to the Future, etc... and I think the project as a whole ended up drifting away from that and went more towards a combination of 'what would the parks look like today' and 'what can we do differently than what has been done before' For the most part I think both parks have stuck to those notions, but classic Uni monsters are in Worlds of Wonder, and I added in the Minion Mayhem ride from past Uni parks.

However -- there is one thing I might be able to do in order to still be able to appease your ideas (which I don't think are bad ones, just kinda late in the process, as WoW is landlocked and Uni Sydney is pretty much done)

I had this idea before, but ended up scrapping it because I wasn't able to visualize it. Production Plaza as the entrance to Uni Sydney is a bit varied, (intentionally), but still reading over it once again - I'm someone who is more prone to enjoying cohesiveness in lands rather than disorder...and I think I can tweak it a little to fit your suggestions.

Ax the 'main street' itself having eclectic shows - Ax Jimmy Fallon - but keep the art deco facades of NYC and NBCUniversal - and instead enter a theater on Broadway, for a Universal Classic Great Movie Ride.

This would include --- Silent films, black and white films, Jaws, Back to the Future, Land Before Time (animation), Jurassic Park, E.T. and more -- focus on classic films and how they shaped the film genres.

Which is essentially what Uni Sydney is about -- a celebration of all film genres, put on display in each of the various lands. This central icon ride, would epitomize all of the themes of the park, bringing it together, with the NBC shows, as a 'backlot tour' off the main street to the left, and Fantastic Beasts, off the main street to the right.

spacemt354

Chili's
The Great Universal Movie Ride

I only have one scene planned out (the finale) but I think this ride will work well as the anchor of the whole park -- brings everything together and makes each land more meaningful while still including the old universal films.

Scene 1 - The Phantom of the Opera (1925 - Silent Film, Beginnings of Universal Pictures)
Scene 2 - Frankenstein (1931, B&W, one of first breakthroughs, monster, pre-code hollywood.)
Scene 3 - To Kill a Mockingbird (1962, Drama)
Scene 4 - Spartacus (1960, Epic Historical/Drama - tangentially to Westeros)
Scene 5 - Psycho (1960, Suspense/Horror - American Mystery)
Scene 6 - Jaws (1975, Suspense/Horror - American Mystery)
Scene 7 - Animal House (1978, Comedy - Production Plaza)
Scene 8 - E.T. The Extra Terrestrial (1982, Science Fiction, Fantasy - New York Square)
Scene 9 - Back to the Future (1985, Action/Adventure)
Scene 10 - Field of Dreams (1989, Fantasy, Drama)
Scene 11 - The Land Before Time (1988, Animation - Illumination/Nintendo)
Scene 12 - Jurassic Park (1993, Special Effects, Action, Adventure)
-- Finale Scene --
Scene 13 - Apollo 13 (1995, Special Effects, Drama, Adventure)

Out in deep space, you pass the Apollo 13 spacecraft as they orbit the moon. As the craft makes its way back to earth, several other Universal films and productions light up in the stars around you and as you begin to descend back to earth for a splashdown, the earth has turned into the Universal Logo and the attraction ends with the famous Universal intro as now its your turn to see how the films of tomorrow have influenced the entertainment of today

Poe Dameron

The Great Universal Movie Ride

I only have one scene planned out (the finale) but I think this ride will work well as the anchor of the whole park -- brings everything together and makes each land more meaningful while still including the old universal films.

Scene 1 - The Phantom of the Opera (1925 - Silent Film, Beginnings of Universal Pictures)
Scene 2 - Frankenstein (1931, B&W, one of first breakthroughs, monster, pre-code hollywood.)
Scene 3 - To Kill a Mockingbird (1962, Drama)
Scene 4 - Spartacus (1960, Epic Historical/Drama - tangentially to Westeros)
Scene 5 - Psycho (1960, Suspense/Horror - American Mystery)
Scene 6 - Jaws (1975, Suspense/Horror - American Mystery)
Scene 7 - Animal House (1978, Comedy - Production Plaza)
Scene 8 - E.T. The Extra Terrestrial (1982, Science Fiction, Fantasy - New York Square)
Scene 9 - Back to the Future (1985, Action/Adventure)
Scene 10 - Field of Dreams (1989, Fantasy, Drama)
Scene 11 - The Land Before Time (1988, Animation - Illumination/Nintendo)
Scene 12 - Jurassic Park (1993, Special Effects, Action, Adventure)
-- Finale Scene --
Scene 13 - Apollo 13 (1995, Special Effects, Drama, Adventure)

Out in deep space, you pass the Apollo 13 spacecraft as they orbit the moon. As the craft makes its way back to earth, several other Universal films and productions light up in the stars around you and as you begin to descend back to earth for a splashdown, the earth has turned into the Universal Logo and the attraction ends with the famous Universal intro as now its your turn to see how the films of tomorrow have influenced the entertainment of today

I like this idea a lot better than mine. @D Hindley you said there's room for ideas for the Potter resort?

D Hulk

I like this idea a lot better than mine. @D Hindley you said there's room for ideas for the Potter resort?
There are many UniSEA Potter opportunities.

At the park's center is Hogwarts Castle as a boutique in-park hotel, like WDW's proposed Star Wars hotel, with guests playing Hogwarts students with a complete role playing curriculum.

The Hogsmeade land, while largely an IOA clone, is to have a new E-ticket. We've been considering a FOP-quality flight sim based on either Quidditch or Hippogriffs.

Lastly, a proposed later expansion alongside Victorian London is to be either a Diagon Alley clone, or more likely an all-new Ministry of Magic attraction/mini-land.

spacemt354

Chili's
Going to try within the next few days to flesh out that outline for the Great Universal Movie Ride and insert it on the site.

In the meantime -- looking over Universal Plaza -- I get the feeling it just seems kinda....boring? o_O I like the Barcelona architecture theme - then again isn't Barcelona known for having a lot of nightlife? I feel like we can make it into more than just an outdoor mall. Sort of like Universal's version of 'Pleasure Island'

Thoughts?

Suchomimus

Going to try within the next few days to flesh out that outline for the Great Universal Movie Ride and insert it on the site.

In the meantime -- looking over Universal Plaza -- I get the feeling it just seems kinda....boring? o_O I like the Barcelona architecture theme - then again isn't Barcelona known for having a lot of nightlife? I feel like we can make it into more than just an outdoor mall. Sort of like Universal's version of 'Pleasure Island'

Thoughts?

D Hulk

Thoughts?
For Spain, there can be nightlife stuff like a tapas restaurant with live Flamenco dancing and such.

We could somehow stage bullfights or a Running of the Bulls without using live animals or being cruel. (Not sure how to, just a really Spanish activity.)

If we're playing a little looser with geography, what about something like the Moulin Rouge? Or some other form of cabaret entertainment?

And naturally we'd need stuff like a Cirque du Soleil theater. If the Uni Plaza has a central icon like a fountain, nighttime fountain shows then.

This is all as-I-type brainstorming. Totally off topic, expect to see a full War of the Worlds coaster writeup for UniSEA within the next hour! (I'll get to F&F next, I just wanted to do UniSEA's big outdoor rides early.)

DisneyFan18

For Spain, there can be nightlife stuff like a tapas restaurant with live Flamenco dancing and such.

We could somehow stage bullfights or a Running of the Bulls without using live animals or being cruel. (Not sure how to, just a really Spanish activity.)

If we're playing a little looser with geography, what about something like the Moulin Rouge? Or some other form of cabaret entertainment?

And naturally we'd need stuff like a Cirque du Soleil theater. If the Uni Plaza has a central icon like a fountain, nighttime fountain shows then.

This is all as-I-type brainstorming. Totally off topic, expect to see a full War of the Worlds coaster writeup for UniSEA within the next hour! (I'll get to F&F next, I just wanted to do UniSEA's big outdoor rides early.)
Maybe we can also do festivals, like the Tomatina. And instead of a Stage Bullfighting, we can a Running Bull film in a motion theater to make you feel you’re running as well?

D Hulk

36955465984_4c3825b22f_o_d.jpg

THE WAR OF THE WORLDS

Board a Victorian subway train in an attempt to escape the deadly Martian invasion, and instead come face-to-face with their Tripod warships in this thrilling steel roller coaster!

In the late summer of 1898, a meteor crash-landed in rural Surrey, England. At least mankind first thought it a meteor. Within the steaming crater, responders discovered a massive metal cylinder of unearthly origin. Soon the whole world knew…there was life on Mars.

Our planet’s foremost scientists assembled to both study the Martian craft, and to syphon its incredible power source to fuel their own inventions. Thus was Wells Laboratories created, a shining steampunk metropolis of glass and steel built around the still-smoldering crater.

But little did Man realize that the Martian cylinder was but a scout. Within its thick hull, Martian scientists secretly studied us. And soon, Wells Laboratories would be ground zero for a war between planets…a War of the Worlds!

36955466164_19d8079baf_z_d.jpg

In the innocent years prior to battle, guests flock to the Wells Laboratories International Exposition. Much like the World’s Fairs of the 19th century, new inventions are displayed around every corner. Automatons, rocket ships, time machines. And at the Exposition’s center is the Martian Pavilion, where Professor Ogilvy presents his (naïve) hypotheses on Martian technology and culture.

Thick pipeline cables lead overhead from the crater to the Pavilion, their innards pulsing with the green glow of Martian energy. This powers the Martian Pavilion, whose cylindrical minarets and domes are inspired by the crashed cylinder itself. Though manmade, the Pavilion – modeled after the Catholic Life Pavilion from the Brussels International Exposition – feels eerie and alien. It hides the coaster to come. Only one helix is visible, atop an elevated metro track. Victorian subway trains speed past.

36955219214_8b190f1df2_z_d.jpg

The queue gathers under the Pavilion’s grand central dome. Here, energy cables feeds assorted devices. At the center is a mechanical model of the Solar System, all revolving bronze planets, with Earth and Mars alone lit up. Above, the dome’s tile mosaics depict the constellations. Décor is like Beaux Arts meets Futurism. All around the central cylindrical model are displays imagining life on Mars. We see scientists’ ideas about its canals, people and cities, all misinterpretations cheekily in the vein of Edgar Rice Burroughs’ “Princess of Mars” books.

A phonograph cylinder cranked by an automaton plays a marching band medley interspersed with a bold announcement: “Welcome to the Wells Laboratories International Exposition, where Martian energy powers Science’s wildest fantasies. Come, discover a new century…today!

37616448766_764f8db111_o_d.jpg

The queue continues into a cylinder-shaped antechamber with a panoramic bay window. Views are presently hidden behind metallic blinds. A boarded-up arched passageway nearby declares “London Underground extension to open December 1899.” Opposite it is a side passage, with an overhead sign declaring “Prof. Wells’ Time Chambers.” The queue continues.

This vaulted hallway teems with murals imagining a vintage steampunk future of scientific progress. Framed newspapers on the walls tell the land’s backstory:
“METEOR LANDS IN SURREY”
“LIFE ON MARS? (CRASHED CYLINDER OF UNEARTHLY ORIGIN)
“SCIENTISTS HARNESS POWER OF MARTIANS’ CYLINDER”
“WELLS LABORATORIES INTERNATIONAL EXPOSITION OPENS TO THE PUBLIC”

At the end is a lobby leading to Prof. Wells’ four time chambers, all powered by the crashed cylinder. While Wells’ personal Time Machine features in a nearby dark ride, he is glad to contribute to Prof. Ogilvy’s mighty pavilion. A spotless velvet banner declares: “Time chambers – Come witness a new century!”

As labcoat-clad cast members explain, Ogilvy’s idea is to transport his guests ahead into the 20th century, to the year 1901, to see what incredible technological wonders Wells Laboratories can achieve in such a short span of time.

36955697694_e4d74738d4_o_d.jpg

Two time chambers load at once – each holding half a train’s capacity (16). These cylindrical capsules resemble colorful Tiffany glass elevators. They are elevators, carrying guests up one floor. From guests’ perspective, though, they remain in place…and travel into the future.

The chamber seals shut. An chronometer spins forward from Dec. 31st, 1898. There is a whirring sound as time passes by. The chamber’s colors desaturate. A deep and distorted voice pipes in, floating in time’s void, a dire pre-show warning:

“No one would have believed in the last years of the 19th century, that human affairs were being watched from the timeless worlds of space. No one would have dreamed that we were being scrutinized as someone with a microscope studies creatures that swarm and multiply in a drop of water.”

All light fades away. Guests are trapped in a pitch black chamber.

“Few men even considered the possibility of life on other planets. And yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this Earth with envious eyes, and slowly, and surely, they drew their plans against us…”

Pre-show spiel, followed by concept footage of a Victorian era War of the Worlds

Light and color returns. It is now Jan. 1st, 1901. The doors slide open to reveal a glorious future…

Chaos! Destruction! A gigantic pounding noise echoes from overhead. Air raid sirens sound.

Welcome to Earth under the Martians!

36955700164_1450b52ac9_z_d.jpg

Through a duplicate vaulted hallway, with cracked ceilings and flickering lights, guests pass another set of newspapers. This time they aren’t framed, but hastily pasted on the walls:
“MARS INVADES EARTH!”
“HEAT RAYS EVAPORATE ARMIES!”
“CITIES CRUMBLE!”

Back in the “same” cylindrical atrium, the blind are gone, granting guests their first full view of the roller coaster they’ll soon be riding! Here is the village of Surrey, overrun by Martian Tripods 100 feet high – insectoid machines on three spindly metal legs. The village has been reduced to ash and rubble. Soldiers’ skeletons surround an abandoned Maxim machine gun. This arena is bounded by a pine forest and by the Martian Pavilion’s crumbling rear façade.

Then there’s the coaster – London Underground metro tracks, bent within the Tripods’ claws. (In fact the coaster’s support legs are the Tripods, in a clever design trick.) Subway trains hurtle through a tangled course, narrowly avoiding the Tripods’ attacks.

The once-sealed London Underground passageway is now an evacuation route. Panicky cast members in weathered uniforms direct us down into a bombarded tube station. We hear the Tripods attacking above, in a scene reminiscent of the London Blitz. (H.G. Wells’ novel is a metaphor for military invasion of England, so these influences are not chosen arbitrarily.)

37407909040_fe5ec4cb3a_o_d.png

The loading station is severely damaged. Dust falls from cracks. Lodged in the ceiling is the hull of a collapsed Tripod, its busted death-eye firing sparks. Wartime posters line the walls. An empty evac train roars in. Open-air steel carts sit 4 across. Imagine a steampunk version of the Incredible Hulk coaster. But this is no clone, with a unique set of surprises in store for riders!

Ride stats:
Type: Steel launched
Manufacturer: Bolliger & Mabillard
Height: 105’
Speed: 70 mph
Length: 4,500’
Capacity: 1,920 riders per hour (32 per train)
Height restriction: 54”

37616448516_a96ff3ea20_o_d.jpg

With LSM propulsion, the train proceeds slowly – like a dark ride – into a darkened subway tunnel. Pitch blackness. The constant Tripod pounding grows louder…louder. An alien spotlight shines on a subway track to our right, which bends unnaturally towards the light. Another spotlight then illuminates the lift hill straight ahead, with sound effects suggesting our track has also been freshly twisted.

The train is caught in a tractor beam. It slowly rises towards a Tripod’s eye. The robotic eye dilates open – and we launch forward!

The train hurtles outside, straight into a dive loop! Downwards towards a war-torn earth.

The loop redirects trains racing over blasted rubble, straight into a heartline roll!

37407905900_fafd3c9464_o_d.jpg

As we charge breathlessly – with a remorseless pace reminiscent of Cedar Point’s Maverick – the towering Tripods never cease their attack. Explosions burst alongside the tracks. At night, lasers fire from the Tripods. Their mechanical tentacles grasp blindly.

The train flings around a 270 degree helix, into a corkscrew inversion! A Tripod ahead fires.

Through another helix, the train enters a vertical loop – which intertwines with the previous corkscrew! Flying upwards, Tripod cabins peer down at us.

The train plunges into a foggy tunnel! A mechanical mandible maw engulfs us.

36955695034_f5ffbabdd5_o_d.jpg

We enter a brake run (running parallel to the initial subway launch) within the belly of the Tripod Mothership. The train slows long enough for riders to witness an organic Giger-like interior teeming with living Martians – oily blobs with a hundred tentacles each.

The chamber spins in both directions like a funhouse tunnel. A row of lights changes from red to green. A surprise second launch propels us uphill and outdoors!

37633563922_3cb0e60a80_z_d.jpg

With an airtime drop, the hill dives into a canyon! The train forcefully navigates hard banked turns. Right! Left! Right! Growing allover – not that we have much time to notice it – is a kudzu-like “red weed.”

Then just as forcefully up! Down! An aggressive camelback airtime hill! (On-ride photos.)

Ahead looms a climactic cobra roll in a Tripod’s claws!

37666447931_6d1e43871a_o_d.jpg

The train wends this disorientating tangle of metal, then plummets. It charges through an overbanked turn back into the Martian Pavilion, into a tiny blasted hole where we barely fit!

Another overbanked turn indoors carries us through the colors of Wells’ busted time chambers. By this lucky break, riders travel backwards to 1898, back to a time of peace.

Slowing down, trains travel the elevated helix seen from the ride’s entrance. Within a pristine London Underground tunnel, trains stop on a brake run as the pre-show voice delivers a closing epilogue:

“The Martians had no resistance to the bacteria in our atmosphere. The end came swiftly. The Martians were slain, after all man’s devices had failed, by the humblest things upon this earth.”

36955467904_f416897d00_z_d.jpg

The unloading station is a duplicate of the former loading station…only brand-new, free from the damage of war. On the far corridor (which connects to the unseen loading station) is a fresh, familiar banner: “London Underground extension to open December 1899.” That settles it. We’re back in 1898.

The subway corridor exit ushers guests to “Store of the Worlds,” a post-ride shop teeming with Martian artifacts set in a Victorian metro station.

spacemt354

Chili's

Maybe we can also do festivals, like the Tomatina. And instead of a Stage Bullfighting, we can a Running Bull film in a motion theater to make you feel you’re running as well?
Really like these suggestions. Was able to do a quick edit before work...add some more asetheic features like a stream going through -- and also to separate more adult areas into the bottom right corner - so that parents with kids going in and out of the theme parks can go without having to walk through those areas.

Central icon/fountain installed in the center plaza...and cirque du soleil as well as more 'large scale' attractions on the left hand side where there's more room. Hard Rock across the water as is in Orlando. :bookworm:
1.22.JPG

spacemt354

Chili's
hey guys, if you guys want to help with some houses for the hhn event you could [ itś a group project don´t be shy ]
Most of the mazes I'm not too familiar with the subject material -- though The Babadook, Insidious (already a maze in HHN, so a copy), and Ouija I've seen so I could write those.

Also I believe we had plans for mazes - maybe for when Worlds of Wonder opens -- since these seem to fit more with that park:bookworm:
-Creature from the Black Lagoon
-Abbot and Costello Meet Frankenstein
-The Man of 1,000 Faces
-Nosferatu
-Van Helsing
-Translvania scare zone
-Wolfman Woods scare zone

themazethinker

yeah babadook will be kinda difficult since where letś admit the monster in that movie has like what 2 minutes of screentime. so im thinking of designing the maze to look like itś from a book [ sorta like the black and white lighting of hhn 22 house of horrors ]

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom