So why weren't there many strollers back in the day?

aliceismad

I don't really care if people use strollers or don't use strollers. I can't judge whether a kid might be able to walk the whole time or not. Maybe they have a medical or other issue. Maybe they find a stroller convenient or a nice place to nap. Maybe little Sally wants to be a princess in her rental Cinderella stroller.

I only get to go to Disney every few years, so I try to focus on my own experience. Most people don't affect my vacation at all (unless they obviously push to the front and stand in front of me when I've waited for a spot at the parade). If I went all the time and noticed a lot of influx of people blocking traffic or whatever, maybe I would care. I figure Disney has rules and can enforce them.

jaklgreen

Especially these monstrosities which are meant to be pulled behind, not pushed, and therefore you have no idea what's going on behind you. They are not a substitute for a stroller.

I never liked those pull behind wagons and did not use them for my kids. I want to be able to see my kids. I have seen at my local zoo people using them with 1 year old kids that start to stand up and almost fall out and the parents are oblivious.

Goofyernmost

I never liked those pull behind wagons and did not use them for my kids. I want to be able to see my kids. I have seen at my local zoo people using them with 1 year old kids that start to stand up and almost fall out and the parents are oblivious.
Theoretically, they are not allowed in Disney anyway. If one got through, someone wasn't paying attention.

Paper straw fan

Has anyone seen these monstrosities lurking about? Nothing screams “high maintenance family” like seeing one of these things, roughly the size of a Fiat, clogging up walkways with little Payzleigh inside.

Willmark

Just a random thought, as I recall kids under a certain age get in free correct?

If that changed I bet the stroller issue solves itself.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Just a random thought, as I recall kids under a certain age get in free correct?

If that changed I bet the stroller issue solves itself.
Kids under 3 get in for free, mainly because they are too small to ride a large percentage of rides.

I can’t speak for everyone else, but the one time I went and got my youngest in for free because he was under 3 that had no bearing on my decision to go. If I had to buy him a park ticket I would have still taken the trip. After spending money on airfare, hotel room, meals and park tickets for the rest of the family buying one additional children’s park ticket is a drop in the bucket. Charging for infants may be more of a deterrent for locals who wouldn’t want to have to buy them an AP, but I don’t think it would slow down the number of tourists showing up. It also wouldn’t have any impact on the number of 3 year olds and up in strollers.

MattFrees71

Here's a thorough look at Magic Kingdom back in mid-August 1982. Good walking tour of the park with surprisingly nice quality home video for then. There are several strollers, but most are smaller with none of the big honkers you see today. Although I know one day may not be representative of how it was most of the time back then- this does fit the description of what many have said of this time period earlier on this thread. Is definitely a stark contrast to today with the sea of strollers and numerous parents with infants.

Minnesota disney fan

Here's a thorough look at Magic Kingdom back in mid-August 1982. Good walking tour of the park with surprisingly nice quality home video for then. There are several strollers, but most are smaller with none of the big honkers you see today. Although I know one day may not be representative of how it was most of the time back then- this does fit the description of what many have said of this time period earlier on this thread. Is definitely a stark contrast to today with the sea of strollers and numerous parents with infants.

Matt: Thanks so much for that blast from the past! I forgot what it was like back then. We visited for the first time in l983.
The contrast to today's WDW is amazing. Besides no huge strollers, wagons, and little babies, I noticed that people walked along in no hurry taking it all in. Also No Cell Phones!!!! What a revelation, we did just fine without them. Also noticed the fashion trend of short shorts, for men and women:)
Again, thanks for a glimpse at the WDW that was and will never be again.

MickeyLuv'r

Be careful... most web sites include about a fourth of Russia as "Europe."

I am careful.

Part of Russia IS located in the continent of Europe.
Russia isn't part of the "European Union."

One is a geographic designation the other is more of a economic and political partnership.

Switzerland, Monaco, and Norway are also not members of the EU, but are clearly located in Europe.

I know, it is a bit confusing, but the Volga River is considered to be a European River.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

Cool video. Also highlights the point about how much more crowded the parks are today.

1982 Main Street

Vs Today:

If there were more strollers in 1982 they wouldn’t have been as noticeable since the crowds were lighter.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Matt: Thanks so much for that blast from the past! I forgot what it was like back then. We visited for the first time in l983.
The contrast to today's WDW is amazing. Besides no huge strollers, wagons, and little babies, I noticed that people walked along in no hurry taking it all in. Also No Cell Phones!!!! What a revelation, we did just fine without them. Also noticed the fashion trend of short shorts, for men and women:)
Again, thanks for a glimpse at the WDW that was and will never be again.
Sigh. I got a small tear in me eye as they passed the Frontierland Shooting Gallery... that's one of my family's favorite places to spend a few moments--and a few dollars--in friendly competition to ring bells, shake tombstones, spin vultures and knock off train cars.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I am careful.

Part of Russia IS located in the continent of Europe.
Russia isn't part of the "European Union."

One is a geographic designation the other is more of a economic and political partnership.

Switzerland, Monaco, and Norway are also not members of the EU, but are clearly located in Europe.

I know, it is a bit confusing, but the Volga River is considered to be a European River.
Well, I think the whole "Europe" thing is way overblown... in many respects. "Europe" as a continent is entirely arbitrary, and an anachronistic vestige of a time when Europe was the cultural and population center of the Earth.

Incomudro

Kids under 3 get in for free, mainly because they are too small to ride a large percentage of rides.

I can’t speak for everyone else, but the one time I went and got my youngest in for free because he was under 3 that had no bearing on my decision to go. If I had to buy him a park ticket I would have still taken the trip. After spending money on airfare, hotel room, meals and park tickets for the rest of the family buying one additional children’s park ticket is a drop in the bucket. Charging for infants may be more of a deterrent for locals who wouldn’t want to have to buy them an AP, but I don’t think it would slow down the number of tourists showing up. It also wouldn’t have any impact on the number of 3 year olds and up in strollers.

I'm struck by how thin the average person was!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom