So why weren't there many strollers back in the day?

BoarderPhreak

Yes, but so are bike paths, AND drivers who expect to share the road with bikes.
In Europe, absolutely... Thankfully that's slowly changing in the USA. But you're right, it's tough to compare.

Let us also not forget, the cost of gasoline and tolls is at least double what it is in the USA. France is also full of nasty electronic speed cameras these days (Plus fines are not very popular).
Tolls are comparable, but gas is easily 2-3x the cost. France is probably the worst with those things, but Germany's no stranger either.

Europe also has very different public transportation options. In theory, we could also have high speed rail in the USA, but we have not made the same kind of transportation choices as Europe.
In metro areas, you can't beat European mass transit. Trams, busses, trains... Largely very efficient, cheap and reasonably clean. Plus all the connecting routes in between. This is where the USA starts to fall down.

You have valid points. It comes down to a matter of scale. The USA is just a lot, lot bigger. This impacts everything from cross-country rail to pedestrian traffic. With the scale also comes cost. So sure, one could argue that it's fruitless to compare.

Last edited:

FettFan

The backpack thing is getting crazy. I saw a bunch of kids skiing with them on, I think because they thought it looked cool. I get it if you are planning on doing some backcountry skiing, but when its a slope in the poconos or catskills and there are only 15 trails, I think it is unnecessary lol.

"Going Full Link".

LOZ-Ocarina-of-Time-Gifs-the-legend-of-zelda-22100244-486-254.gif

Gitson Shiggles

There was me, that is Mickey, and my three droogs
Strollers are one thing, it's ill prepared adults that don't know how to collapse them and attempt to board buses and the launch boats with them fully loaded that drive me bonkers.
However, what's the deal with people bringing these things into parks now?

How and why did this become an acceptable thing to do?

I’ve seen a handful of these this week, especially at MK. It was kinda neat seeing all the configurations and accessories, to be honest. These take up about the same space as a tandem stroller.

FettFan

I need explanation what this means lol

Well, the "Legend of Zelda" series is the undisputed king of Role Playing Games.

And like any RPG, Zelda games require the player to collect certain items throughout the game for their quest to continue....you might use the items yourself, or you might trade for other items.

For instance: Need to collect fresh water from a lake or stream? First, you need to get a bottle to carry that water.
How do you get a bottle? Go to a ranch and do a favor for the farmer and he gives you a bottle of milk in return.
Drink the milk, and voila, empty bottle.

Now some RPG's actually ramp it up....Legend of Zelda gives the main character Link a set inventory.
ocarina_of_time_inventory_by_blueamnesiac_d6wamuk-pre.jpg

Once the inventory is filled, if you want to carry anything else, you have to drop an item. Certain items have to be dropped to upgrade....you can only carry one shield in the game, so if you are carrying a basic wooden shield, you have to get rid of it to use the Hylian Shield.

Other RPG's, such as the old Windows 95 "Castle of the Winds", allow you to carry different sized packs...to carry more items, you have to get a bigger pack.
50737_10707.jpg

ABQ

I’ve seen a handful of these this week, especially at MK. It was kinda neat seeing all the configurations and accessories, to be honest. These take up about the same space as a tandem stroller.
Wait till you see a knucklehead with all the accessories give a bewildered look to a bus driver when they are asked to collapse it before boarding. For some reason, some people think that because it's not a stroller, that it can just be wheeled on, fully deployed. They try to leave all the junk they've collected inside it and "collapse" it, which it doesn't collapse when all full of whosits and whatsits.

MickeyLuv'r

I'll make my point a little shorter:
Baby gear and WDW have both changed significantly over the last 48 years.

Trying to say they are the same is pointless.

MickeyLuv'r

The USA is just a lot, lot bigger.

Actually it isn't.

Land mass of total USA = 9,833,000 square kilometers

Land mass of Europe = 10,180,000 square kilometers

(And just for fun:
Land mass of the lower 48= 7,663,942 square kilometers of land + 416,522square kilometers of water =8,080,464 square kilometers total)

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Actually it isn't.

Land mass of total USA = 9,833,000 square kilometers

Land mass of Europe = 10,180,000 square kilometers

(And just for fun:
Land mass of the lower 48= 7,663,942 square kilometers of land + 416,522square kilometers of water =8,080,464 square kilometers total)
Be careful... most web sites include about a fourth of Russia as "Europe."

I'm pretty sure Mr Putin doesn't consider himself "European."

Michaelson

Having just recently returned from a 2 week visit with a 3 year old grandson, I can say there are a MULTITUDE of reasons for and against a stroller.

One thing I have not seen mentioned is many times our grandson ASKED to be in the stroller, as he wanted to be able to look around and study things....something he was unable to do while walking. He also had one of the Mickey Mouse bubble making wands and loved sitting as we rolled along and having a bubble party. Kids walking around us LOVED the thing and played with the bubbles....but I digress.

We did a LOT of study and found a great stroller that we could immediately collapse and had a built in carry strap. It is light weight, and easy to carry. We were light a light cavalry moving across the parks.

I can't add much more to what has already been said, but having one allowed us to cover a LOT more ground with a toddler in tow than NOT having one, and we did not experience one, single melt down the entire trip. He preferred to walk, so we DID use the stroller to carry our day packs....but when he finally got tired, which was actually rare, he climbed in the stroller and passed out. 30 minutes later after a power nap, he was ready to go again....and I mean GO! Like riding Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, and anything else his 42 inch height allowed him to get on.....and I DO mean everything! In the meantime, we kept moving and did a LOT more than just having to sit around waiting for him to wake up.

So, there are plus and minus's to it, and I'm sure sooner than later he'll not want to get in the conveyance, as when he makes up his mind about something, that's it! Right now, though, when it comes to covering a lot of ground, a stroller can really help at WDW.

Incomudro

A stroller is for transporting one's children.
These wagon abominations are for making one's outing a rolling camping trip.
They have no business being in the parks regardless of whether or not their footprint compares with that of a double stroller.

Michaelson

I saw a couple of those wagons on this trip, and yes, it was amusing to see their confusion when they were told to fold them up before getting on a tram....which puzzled me. How in the world did they think they were going to put them on a tram opened?

Regard! M

NickMaio

Strollers - - ECV's - - - wheelchairs - - - - Walkers - - - AT AT's - - AT ST's - -- Falcons.....ect
All cool with me - - - - - -Everyone should be able to enjoy my favourite place in whatever comfort they choose.

Even if they bump me and my family occasionally - - - -

Out of a 14 hour day I get bumped maybe 3 times - - - -

TongaToast21

Slightly off topic, but I couldn't believe the spectacle someone made it at the boat launch between Poly/GF and MK when they were told by CM's that they couldn't load their scooter onto the boat... I thought I was in the middle of a my 600 lb life episode

Rev.Hill

I remember the strollers in the early 80's you could rent. Much smaller and compact compared to today, which most people bring in from home. I also remember preferring to walk when I was that young and not liking them for some reason. Sea World rental strollers on the other hand, you couldn't get me out of those.

JillC LI

The age distribution of the typical WDW Guest was different back in the day.
I recall there being significantly fewer preschoolers at WDW back in the day, fewer children of stroller age. 8 to 14 year olds were much more prevalent than 1 to 7 year olds.
Agreed.

We waited until our kids were 5 and 7 to make their first trip to WDW because we did not want to deal with strollers (and we wanted them to fully remember it). We saw a lot of kids their age in strollers but we never considered it. Our kids were so excited to be there that they walked around nonstop from sun up til sun down, and it wasn't until the last night of the trip that the younger one became overcome with exhaustion and laid down on the ground in EPCOT. I simply carried her to the bus back to the resort, no stroller needed.

I also agree with the person who said that strollers are used as moving lockers these days, but boy is that a hassle over a simple backpack (or an actual locker) unless you have an infant or young toddler.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom