So why exactly did Disney ruin Journey Into Imagination?

Yert3

Original Poster
As I am typing this, my mom and I are standing in line for journey and got into the discussion about the original. We're just stunned Disney would take a classic and turn it into something so crappy. I did a google search but couldn't find anything about why they changed it, just that they did change it. Has Disney ever said why?

brb1006

Something about Kodak's sponsorship along with the removal of Dreamfinder and Figment for 1.0 (1999-2000) then the return of Figment but with a different personality compared to the original voiced by Billy Barter. Without Dreamfinder, Figment comes across as a character straight out of a Looney Tunes series.

For those that missed out on the original here's a good tribute video by @marni1971 from 2009.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I'm happy to say there's far FAR better versions of those videos coming next fall :)

What we do know about the closure of JII;

Futureworld was undergoing its first overhaul
JII was expensive to maintain
Kodak wanted to go "hip" (see Food Rocks)
The ride system and in particular the rotating Flight to Imagination interlock never fully functioned as designed. The latter was still a constant issue. It was ahead of its time in 1982 and was never revisited (today it would be simple)
A smaller overall floorspace would be easier and cost less to maintain.

Yert3

Original Poster
I'm happy to say there's far FAR better versions of those videos coming next fall :)

What we do know about the closure of JII;

Futureworld was undergoing its first overhaul
JII was expensive to maintain
Kodak wanted to go "hip" (see Food Rocks)
The ride system and in particular the rotating Flight to Imagination interlock never fully functioned as designed. The latter was still a constant issue. It was ahead of its time in 1982 and was never revisited (today it would be simple)
A smaller overall floorspace would be easier and cost less to maintain.
Thanks for the reply, Martin. :)

OliveMcFly

I heard a long time ago that Figment wasn't even included in the redo but that guest comments brought him back to the version we have now.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I heard a long time ago that Figment wasn't even included in the redo but that guest comments brought him back to the version we have now.
He was in one projection in the finale of Journey into Your Imagination.

Guest and management complaints forced the next overhaul as an emergency measure.

Eisner in particular was less than impressed with JIYI.

OliveMcFly

Guest and management complaints forced the next overhaul as an emergency measure.

Maybe mouse ears will hear what's been said in the past how many years and reincarnate Dreamfinder with Figment in an updated version. One can hope...purple dragon fingers crossed.

brb1006

Don't forget that while your in the queue for JIYI Figment shows up at one point much to the annoyance of the host.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom