So why exactly did Disney ruin Journey Into Imagination?

OliveMcFly

I think that was also the last time Billy Barty voiced Figment since this was made in 1999 a year before his death.

I didn't know that :(

I always found it fascinating that part of the original track sits under the new queue. Every time I walk on that hollow floor I smile thinking "it's still there...bring it back!".
At least I believe it's there...someone told me that once LOL.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I knew you'd have the answer for me...thanks! :D
A good few years ago I was doing some..... research. Stomping on the floor between the Imageworks and the store where I knew the track used to be. Sure enough solid. Hollow. Solid. Hollow. Viewed at the right angle you can see the outline of the pit. I've some photos somewhere. So anyway the CMs come and ask what I was doing. I was like a teacher speaking to his class.

The rest of the Imageworks gives plenty of clues. The changes in floor height. The shapes in the ceiling. The original effects projectors access hatch in the roof that's still there today. All this and more I've covered in my forthcoming trilogy video series :)

OliveMcFly

A good few years ago I was doing some..... research. Stomping on the floor between the Imageworks and the store where I knew the track used to be. Sure enough solid. Hollow. Solid. Hollow. Viewed at the right angle you can see the outline of the pit. I've some photos somewhere. So anyway the CMs come and ask what I was doing. I was like a teacher speaking to his class.

The rest of the Imageworks gives plenty of clues. The changes in floor height. The shapes in the ceiling. The original effects projectors access hatch in the roof that's still there today. All this and more I've covered in my forthcoming trilogy video series :)
Wow! Now I'm gonna be stomping around in Image Works come February :hilarious:

brb1006

Looks like the upcoming update Imagination video is going to be more fun and interesting to watch.

raven

The ride system and in particular the rotating Flight to Imagination interlock never fully functioned as designed. The latter was still a constant issue. It was ahead of its time in 1982 and was never revisited (today it would be simple)
A smaller overall floorspace would be easier and cost less to maintain.

...so in a nutshell, they wanted to save money by offering less of an experience but raise gate prices. AKA Disney Business Basics 101 for the New Millennium. ;)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Wow! Now I'm gonna be stomping around in Image Works come February :hilarious:
Here`s what to look for. Best viewed with a light source behind the area. It`s lines, or more of ripples, in the floor. The backlight will make it stand out more.

IW floor example.jpg

This particular area was after unload as the track curved back into the atrium and into load.

PorterRedkey

Can't wait!

montyz81

He was in one projection in the finale of Journey into Your Imagination.

Guest and management complaints forced the next overhaul as an emergency measure.

Eisner in particular was less than impressed with JIYI.
With all the changes coming to FW and Figment being sort of an IP, Why don't they just poor money into this and get some of the original feel back but include new technology. Maybe as a tribute to the original, they could put the table back in play as well as the original ride track.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
With all the changes coming to FW and Figment being sort of an IP, Why don't they just poor money into this and get some of the original feel back but include new technology. Maybe as a tribute to the original, they could put the table back in play as well as the original ride track.
It would be relatively simple to build a modern version of the original suitable for modern audiences. And to improve on virtually every area and aspect of the original.

But like you said, money.

Cmdr_Crimson

At least they decided to ditch the Re-imagining of the of the Pavilion to Phineas & Ferb since the show ended..There was even concept art of the dancing fountain area where the Figment Topiary stood and the now Visa Chase photo spot...Also Notice the lady in the concept art.. The image is the same woman from Spaceship Earth in the 80's section of Computer technology....They may have had plans to have her as a face character at one point perhaps?
image_zps9b01c15e.jpg
7469099e4d9176819a17b3f3a33aa33f.jpg

Last edited:

Sketch105

As I am typing this, my mom and I are standing in line for journey and got into the discussion about the original. We're just stunned Disney would take a classic and turn it into something so crappy. I did a google search but couldn't find anything about why they changed it, just that they did change it. Has Disney ever said why?

I just listened to the JimHill podcast on this recently- basically Kodak had a contract that said the ride needed to be drastically updated every 15 years or so. Problem was this was near the dawn of the digital age, and Kodak had just made some massive layoffs and was in need of restructuring, so they couldn't pony up enough cash for a fantastic redo of the ride, so "Journey into YOUR Imagination" was born, and the most problematic parts of the ride (the turntable, for example) were eliminated. After Journey 2.0 opened, the ride got HORRIBLE reviews from guests and fans alike, and was rated the lowest attraction at Epcot. The Imagineers were given a budget to redo the ride AGAIN, and one crafty Imagineer went back and found all the original Figments that were left to rot backstage and inserted them back into the ride (fully refurbished mind you). The ride was a much improved over the "YOUR" version, but Figment hasn't been the same since.

Haymarket2008

At least they decided to ditch the Re-imagining of the of the Pavilion to Phineas & Ferb since the show ended..There was even concept art of the dancing fountain area where the Figment Topiary stood and the now Visa Chase photo spot...Also Notice the lady in the concept art.. The image is the same woman from Spaceship Earth in the 80's section of Computer technology....They may have had plans to have her as a face character at one point perhaps?
image_zps9b01c15e.jpg
7469099e4d9176819a17b3f3a33aa33f.jpg

I wonder if the Phineas and Ferb revamp was strictly for the garden area/the Magic Eye theatre. I doubt they were planning a full overlay.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom