Trip Report So, This Just Happened! A Very Late and Unexpected Turn (In More Ways Than One).

Just arrived at Disney Springs. More details to follow.

5D81BE00-3F82-41EC-BF59-9CFF4D232CDF.jpeg

Updates after lunch.

coachwnh

Original Poster
Hey @coachwnh Mobile fireworks are on the fourth! Here are some events.

Thanks for the info. I’ll read it this morning

coachwnh

Original Poster
Thanks for sharing!

How did you like Savannah? I’ll be visiting it for the first time in about a month as we make our way down to WDW by car.
It was nice. We enjoyed the ability to walk everywhere. No need to drive. I suggest using the hop on hop off green trolley tour one day. We also did that in St Augustine before getting Brayden at Jacksonville Airport. Easy way to get your sense of the city. I also highly recommend the sunset riverboat cruise.

coachwnh

Original Poster
I’ve never been to Mobile for the 4th, but I’m 90% sure they’ll have something down near the battleship (USS Alabama).
If you stay at the Battle House hotel (or somewhere nearby) you might be able to see the fireworks from their rooftop pool/ bar and avoid the traffic and crowds. (But I’d call the front desk to confirm view before taking my word for it!)
It’s a great city - enjoy!
(PS- even if you decide to just drive on toward home - one of my family’s favorite 4th of July memories is driving home from the Badlands/ Mt Rushmore many years ago, across South Dakota - watching all these random, small town firework shows pop up on the horizon - it was memorable and special in a totally ‘different’ kind of way)
Haven’t booked a hotel yet. I’ll do so before we leave today. I’ll check this out. Thank you 👍

pkkurz

Just a bit of background on how we ended up in Disney. Brayden just finished his first year at Arizona State and did very well; however, he's not sure he wants to return to Tempe. His senior class lost so much, college visits included. So the plan was for Crystal and I to leave last Sunday and drive from PA to Savannah for a night, then meet Brayden in Jacksonville (he did not want to take a road trip with his parents) and drive to Tallahassee to see Florida State, After talking with a co-worker, he said leave early and visit Savannah for two days. So we left last Saturday and that's what we did. The plan was to then drive to Mobile and circle back to Tuscaloosa and visit Alabama. Brayden would fly home from BIrmingham, and Crystal and I would stop in Tennessee before heading home.

Prior to this change, Crystal had suggested Disney for a day. The last thing I wanted to do was drive back from Birmingham. Then Brayden said it was either ASU or FSU. So, I made a quick change and moved his flight to Mobile and figured we'd make the drive from FSU to Mobile and drive home from there.

That's when Disney got real. One day at Epcot became a day at MK and Epcot. Soon there was potential for a tropical storm in the gulf, and Brayden had his flight changed from Mobile and moved up a day out or Orlando. One day at Epcot became a day at MK and Epcot. Now what was once a joke was real, and Disney became two park days and three days at Coronado. No plans until days before and it all worked out as if we spent months on this trip. In actuality, we booked it just days before we left.

Now to make it even more interesting, we have no plans for tomorrow. We still may backtrack to Mobile, then visit Mississippi (we've never been to either state), then still make our way to Tennessee. I hope Mobile has fun on the Fourth of July.

Thanks for those who followed along.
Love traveling along with you. We also love Savanna, especially Tybee Island.

Swissmiss

Premium Member
It was nice. We enjoyed the ability to walk everywhere. No need to drive. I suggest using the hop on hop off green trolley tour one day. We also did that in St Augustine before getting Brayden at Jacksonville Airport. Easy way to get your sense of the city. I also highly recommend the sunset riverboat cruise.

Thanks for the tips!

MickeyCB

Thanks for sharing!

How did you like Savannah? I’ll be visiting it for the first time in about a month as we make our way down to WDW by car.
Despite the many many fine dining places in Savannah, I'll throw in a recommendation for the best pizza I've ever eaten.
It's near the SCAD freshman dorms.
It's called Stoners Pizza 🤣 and is amazing!

cgersic

Just got caught up after the 2 days of WDW with the kids! Oh my gosh, you had me laughing with the commentary but the one that really got me was the profile pic on Spaceship Earth. Sooo much fun! You kids seriously rocked these 2 unplanned days and I'm so glad you shared them! Count me in as a Savannah fan! The best dueling pianos bar I've ever experienced - and I've been to a few!

lindawdw

I love these spurs of the moment trips because sometimes we all preplan our WDW too much and it creates too many high expectations. Glad you had such a fun trip! What school do you think your son will end up going to? Thanks for sharing this entertaining Live TR! 🥰

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom