So-long stupid Noodle Station!

AEfx

You are aware that there are few places nowadays where you can't easily find a burger and fries or Pizza? It may not be as cheap as here (although in some place cheaper), but it's not exotic. That's kind of a limited view of the world, no?

No, it's not a limited view. I never said it was exotic. However, as others have mentined in this thread, yes, many international visitors want that type of food. Some people were insinuating that international people expect more variety, i.e. things they'd expect at home. That was why it was brought up.

You keep throwing in Hot and Spicy. I never got to eat there - it was always closed. So I have no idea how theirs tasted. But noodles are not always hot and spicy. Noodles are pretty much a standard fare all over the world - Ramen, mac and cheese, Mein, Pad, Kluski - it's simple fare that can be infinitely varied by changing toppings, sauces, and broths.

If it's standard fare...then why would anyone want it if they come to Disney World supposedly to experience exotic fast food?

I think you are missing the larger picture.

Most people do not want a hot cup of noodles in the blistering Florida heat. Making an entire eatery out of that one food, again, which is part of one of the LEAST popular foods for health concious people these days (carbs), was a recipie for disaster. That's why you never got to eat there, because when it was open no one else bothered so it wasn't worth it for them to keep it open.

And I was hoping you would draw a connection, but to clarify - the other thread is pages long about people who think Disney is just for kids, or think it is childish and simple-minded. Which I think is perfectly appropriate here. The food is simple minded. Yes they eventually decided to overdo the turkey legs. Yet it took them 20 years to do that, so no, I would not say they immediately respond to things like that.

For future reference, when you are trying to make a point, it's best to actually type something and not just leave a link to another thread. Use your own words.

Your arrogance is really what I'm responding to at this point - there is a difference between "simple-minded" and not being complex. One is not a choice, the other is; simple-minded implies one doesn't know any better, versus not always choosing the richest, most complex thing just because you can. Throughout this thread you and a couple of others have used language and made snitty comments but skirted the actual facts. We can argue about what people want all day, but the facts of the matter speak for themselves.

1. Noodle Station was not open regularly. Disney isn't known for spending a ton of money refurbishing and building a new eatery and then keeping it closed unless people aren't going.

2. Any restaurant that only carries one type of food inherently limits it's audience; no one in this thread has spoken out against variety, but by making an establishment devoted to one food-type (not to mention one like noodles, which are NOT generally considered a "healthy" food these days, especially as an entire meal) it's going to be difficult for groups to choose to eat there as every member may not be up for a cup of hot noodles.

3. There is ASTOUNDING variety at Walt Disney World for food. Check out the menu to virutally any non-character sit-down meal - Boma, Brown Derby, anything in World Showcase, sit-downs in the mod and deluxe resorts. If you don't see it, you aren't looking hard enough. Even the so-called "greasy burger joints" have other, healthier options for those that want them : wraps, salads, creative sides.

There is lots of variety at WDW, and my opinion remains that when it comes to fast food, when people visit a theme park they often want what is traditionally simple comfort foods. That doesn't make them simple-minded, or not health concious - it means they are on vacation and eating things that may be available at home but not what they'd normally choose to eat. For those that don't want that type of food (burgers, pizza, chicken fingers, etc.) there are options there as well, including an entire 1/2 a theme park devoted to exotic dining.

Again, we can sit and argue what people want all day, though, it's obvious our opinions differ. I think variety is great, although some have tried to peg me otherwise; but I think people are ignoring the variety that is actually available, and since Disney is hitting record high attendance these days I don't think the lack of hot noodles is going to drive away the market as some extremists seem to believe.

AEfx

dxwwf3

There is ASTOUNDING variety at Walt Disney World for food. Check out the menu to virutally any non-character sit-down meal - Boma, Brown Derby, anything in World Showcase, sit-downs in the mod and deluxe resorts. If you don't see it, you aren't looking hard enough. Even the so-called "greasy burger joints" have other, healthier options for those that want them : wraps, salads, creative sides.

There is lots of variety at WDW, and my opinion remains that when it comes to fast food, when people visit a theme park they often want what is traditionally simple comfort foods. That doesn't make them simple-minded, or not health concious - it means they are on vacation and eating things that may be available at home but not what they'd normally choose to eat. For those that don't want that type of food (burgers, pizza, chicken fingers, etc.) there are options there as well, including an entire 1/2 a theme park devoted to exotic dining.

Couldn't have said it better myself :sohappy:

cloudboy

Most people do not want a hot cup of noodles in the blistering Florida heat. Making an entire eatery out of that one food, again, which is part of one of the LEAST popular foods for health concious people these days (carbs), was a recipie for disaster. That's why you never got to eat there, because when it was open no one else bothered so it wasn't worth it for them to keep it open.

First, you are aware that Florida is not all sun and heat the entire year. Have you been down there during the late fall and winter? It can get pretty cold. However, as I pointed out, noddles are not necessarily something that has to be hot, heavy, or exotic. In fact, they are simple food that can be cooling or warming. Also, there is a lot more to healthy eating than carbs and diet trends. People today are looking for less greasy, non-meat alternatives. NOt for special diet considerations, but as a wholesale change in eating habits.

Your arrogance is really what I'm responding to at this point - there is a difference between "simple-minded" and not being complex. One is not a choice, the other is; simple-minded implies one doesn't know any better, versus not always choosing the richest, most complex thing just because you can. Throughout this thread you and a couple of others have used language and made snitty comments but skirted the actual facts. We can argue about what people want all day, but the facts of the matter speak for themselves.

I think I have presented my feelings quite well, whether or not you agree or respect them. While I understand that for you this is not the type of food you would like to enjoy, ofor many of us it is. And I think it is time we stood up and said so instead of being driven away from the parks because of a increasing tendency to service only a certain market segment.

There are a number of (perhaps now ex-) Disney World fans who enjoyed coming to the parks not just to go on rides and meet characters, but because we enjoyed a magical world, walking around, spending time enjoying our meals, and enjoying shopping. But over the last 10 years that has significantly eroded away. I am trying to point out that park decision makers are not giving that market enough attention and when they do it is half-hearted at best.

1. Noodle Station was not open regularly. Disney isn't known for spending a ton of money refurbishing and building a new eatery and then keeping it closed unless people aren't going.

3. There is ASTOUNDING variety at Walt Disney World for food. Check out the menu to virutally any non-character sit-down meal - Boma, Brown Derby, anything in World Showcase, sit-downs in the mod and deluxe resorts. If you don't see it, you aren't looking hard enough. Even the so-called "greasy burger joints" have other, healthier options for those that want them : wraps, salads, creative sides.

Disney is notorious for strange hours and spending. Remember Adventureland from a few years ago - when they totally redid all the shops but they were not open, and they had an absolutely poor merchandise selection. I wish I could say Disney is perfect, but it isn't. It's a big company, and from time to time they do strange things. But if no one speaks up, they don't know what to fix.

Disney's selection is terribly unvaried. If you look at the menus you notice that most menus are simple repeats of other locations, but with a different sauce or a different side. The menus onnly offer a few items, they offer one alternative item, and they have a hard time dealing with changes. While Iwould be willing to say Boma may have a differnet menu (I have not had a chance to go there yet), I cannot say that there is a really outstandingly wide variety of establishments. 20 years ago the restaurants in Epcot would have been unique. Today the local mall food court has at least half of those ethnicities covered. And, in many cases with much less "americanization".

I realize that for you that the noddle station was an insignificant location, and that the meal selection is not a big deal to you. For some of us Disney has lost a lot of the magic and special elements that we so loved. Instead of simply drifting away and joining the ranks of the Disney haters, I want to speak up about it so that others who also may start loosing their faith in the parks might have a bit of hope that things will get better.

wannab@dis

Didn't get a chance to try the Noodle Station, but I have to say that it's a shame it didn't work out. I would like to see more variety at the MK... something similar to Sunshine Seasons. MK has some decent CS locations, but they still offer the normal everyday fast food selections. That's fine, but it would be great to have something different.

We want to try new things on vacation and get away from the same ol' same ol' that you see in a mall or main strip in any town. While some of the CS locations may have one item that is atypical of "fast food", they need a location that gives a good selection similar to Sunshine Seasons.

I think the main problem with the Noodle Station... not enough selection. Just noodles. While some liked it, they could have pulled in a wider (and much bigger) audience by having other items. They should have kept the "noodles" but had it as part of a varied selection of other items.

dxwwf3

While some of the CS locations may have one item that is atypical of "fast food", they need a location that gives a good selection similar to Sunshine Seasons.

I don't really think that a Sunshine Seasons clone would do very well in another park, but a few of the more popular menu items there could be added to one or two of the already established spots.

wannab@dis

I don't really think that a Sunshine Seasons clone would do very well in another park, but a few of the more popular menu items there could be added to one or two of the already established spots.
Of course you wouldn't... since you don't like it. :p

To me it just makes sense. Have several locations that serve the typical fare and have one location that serves a nice variety. I bet it will do just fine. Maybe they can add PB&J just for you. ;)

dxwwf3

Of course you wouldn't... since you don't like it. :p

To me it just makes sense. Have several locations that serve the typical fare and have one location that serves a nice variety. I bet it will do just fine. Maybe they can add PB&J just for you. ;)

Why do you choose to be so difficult with everyone? It has nothing to do with my preference about Sunshine Seasons. We've seen that a wholesale change at a restaurant to go in a different direction in the Magic Kingdom has failed once. So why would Disney be so quick to put up something like Sunshine Seasons when something in a similar set up just didn't work? That's why I said a few of the menu items could be added to other spots. I'm on your side here! There does need to be more variety in the MK counter service spots, but it will probably work best in smaller doses around the current CS spots instead of a whole new restaurant.

It sounds to me like YOU are the one talking selfish and I'm the one looking at the business side of things. And as far as I know it isn't topsy turvy day on WDWMagic. I can't really see why you have no intention to look at the big picture here.

wannab@dis

Why do you choose to be so difficult with everyone?

Nothing difficult was meant... I'm not sure why you posted that. We've always goofed off with each other. :veryconfu

dxwwf3 said:
It has nothing to do with my preference about Sunshine Seasons. We've seen that a wholesale change at a restaurant to go in a different direction in the Magic Kingdom has failed once. So why would Disney be so quick to put up something like Sunshine Seasons when something in a similar set up just didn't work?
No, we saw a location with a SINGLE item fail. My post mentioned a VARIETY of items... not one.

dxwwf3 said:
That's why I said a few of the menu items could be added to other spots. I'm on your side here! There does need to be more variety in the MK counter service spots, but it will probably work best in smaller doses around the current CS spots instead of a whole new restaurant.
You may be right... but it seems to me that they should let their CS locations specialize in items that are similar. That way people can pick and choose based on the type of food and probably get better quality since there's no need to have so many different types of choices at each location. Most people seem to already plan their meals for specific locations based on what they like more than just location.

dxwwf3 said:
It sounds to me like YOU are the one talking selfish and I'm the one looking at the business side of things. And as far as I know it isn't topsy turvy day on WDWMagic. I can't really see why you have no intention to look at the big picture here.
See above... just a different way of looking at it. Casey's specializes in hot dogs. Pecos Bills specializes in burgers. Columbia Harbor House specializes in fish. It just makes sense to let the current locations keep their menus intact instead of trying to make ALL of them add other items. Well, it made sense to me. ;)

polynesiangirl

OK, I realize I am WAY late to the party on this thread and it's gone down a few winding paths at this point, but I just want to chime in and say that I found it hilarious that when I booked our trip, I said to my husband "And we can finally try that Noodle Station!" and then like a day later I saw this thread. We've been there maybe 2-3 times now where it's closed like a week before we got there. :lol:

I have to say I am a little let down by this because I tend to edge more towards the variety end of the menu in WDW these days. Years of going to WDW and eating the Same. Exact. Pizza. for days on end has kind of worn me down. I can't say the Noodle Station was a good or bad idea since I never got to try it :rolleyes: but I would have at least liked a chance to sample! :animwink: Oh well.

dxwwf3

Nothing difficult was meant... I'm not sure why you posted that. We've always goofed off with each other. :veryconfu

I know, but it gets frustrating sometimes when I'm trying to basically defend your foundation that more options need to be available in the MK and you turn it around to make it sound like I'm not trying to think of something that would work in the parks and I am only looking on my own tastes.

See above... just a different way of looking at it. Casey's specializes in hot dogs. Pecos Bills specializes in burgers. Columbia Harbor House specializes in fish. It just makes sense to let the current locations keep their menus intact instead of trying to make ALL of them add other items. Well, it made sense to me. ;)

The thing is, wouldn't it be best to expand their current menus and create CS spots with something for everyone instead of creating a Sunshine Seasons/Noodle Station-type of place that only caters to a small group of people? Ok, the Harbor House specializes in fish. Why not add the grilled salmon sandwich from SS with the other "higher quality" sides? Pecos Bills has burgers and BBQ sandwiches and stuff like that. Why not add the flatbread sandwiches and the oak-fired chicken salad there?

Now I don't know how the kitchens at these places work so that might not be feasable. But I just have a hard time seeing how a place like Sunshine Seasons would work in the other parks when it doesn't have something like Soarin' right next door.

wannab@dis

I know, but it gets frustrating sometimes when I'm trying to basically defend your foundation that more options need to be available in the MK and you turn it around to make it sound like I'm not trying to think of something that would work in the parks and I am only looking on my own tastes.

My apologies... I honestly did not mean it that way at all. :eek:

The thing is, wouldn't it be best to expand their current menus and create CS spots with something for everyone instead of creating a Sunshine Seasons/Noodle Station-type of place that only caters to a small group of people? Ok, the Harbor House specializes in fish. Why not add the grilled salmon sandwich from SS with the other "higher quality" sides? Pecos Bills has burgers and BBQ sandwiches and stuff like that. Why not add the flatbread sandwiches and the oak-fired chicken salad there?

Now I don't know how the kitchens at these places work so that might not be feasable. But I just have a hard time seeing how a place like Sunshine Seasons would work in the other parks when it doesn't have something like Soarin' right next door.

You may be right and it would work just fine. I've just read reports from other establishments (i.e. large franchised fast food locations such as Burger King, Hardees, McD's, etc) where they have had major problems introducing products that were "different" from their main fare. Pizzas at McD's, Fried Chicken at Hardees, and other examples have proven to be an issue since they had to re-tool the kitchens and train the workers for new items. They had sub-par quality and it usually ends up to be a failure... not primarily due to acceptance from the public, but because of the economics of scale and poor training.

WDW may have quite the same problems, but my reasoning was that it may be a fairly decent factor when trying to work out the details of new offerings outside the normal items for a location. You're correct, if the "variety" items match the current offerings (such as the salmon at Harbour House) then it makes sense. You're also correct that location will have a big part in the final product. However, the walkway from Main Street to Tomorrowland gets a lot of traffic, so it might work out just fine.

Once again, I'm sorry that you felt I knocked your input... but no malice was meant. We've always been able to take friendly jabs at each other in the fashion it was meant. :wave:

dxwwf3

My apologies... I honestly did not mean it that way at all. :eek:

No problem :wave:

You may be right and it would work just fine. I've just read reports from other establishments (i.e. large franchised fast food locations such as Burger King, Hardees, McD's, etc) where they have had major problems introducing products that were "different" from their main fare. Pizzas at McD's, Fried Chicken at Hardees, and other examples have proven to be an issue since they had to re-tool the kitchens and train the workers for new items. They had sub-par quality and it usually ends up to be a failure... not primarily due to acceptance from the public, but because of the economics of scale and poor training.

That looks like apples and oranges to me though. The bigger chains have competition and at a theme park your choices are very limited compared to what the chains have to compete with. Because of Sunshine Seasons, it looks like the kitchens will at least have people that have experience in dealing with the unique offerings. They could also get experience by working at SS for a bit. Again, I don't know if this is feasable because I do not know how Disney runs their restarurant operations so I'm just going on speculation.

To me, I think that the best chance to get different types of food to the public is to add them to familiar spots with familiar menus. It is much easier for "Mommy and Daddy" to get higher quality items as long as others in the party can get their chicken strips or burger all in the same line and at the same time.

AEfx

First, you are aware that Florida is not all sun and heat the entire year. Have you been down there during the late fall and winter? It can get pretty cold. However, as I pointed out, noddles are not necessarily something that has to be hot, heavy, or exotic. In fact, they are simple food that can be cooling or warming. Also, there is a lot more to healthy eating than carbs and diet trends. People today are looking for less greasy, non-meat alternatives. NOt for special diet considerations, but as a wholesale change in eating habits.

Cooling noodles? Come on, you really are reaching here. Besides, that's not what Noodle Station was selling.

What you are missing is that you are not typical of a Disney visitor. People looking regularly specificly for non-meat alternatives are in the extreme. (However, it's ironic you'd mention that because it's much harder for someone to find high protein/lower carb dishes at WDW than it is to find non-meat dishes.) While I've personally known quite a few vegitarians because of my background, but if you take a look at the statistics only 1-3% of Americans subscribe to that lifestyle consistently.

That doesn't mean that the other 97% of families eat meat every single meal, but just the sheer chances of an entire familiy choosing that at once are why Noodle Station was not popular. This was coupled by the fact that there was no variety there; again, if the Noodle Station had been a booth at Cosmic Ray's it would have done better. But in that location, with only one product (however you want to dress it with spices, it's still a cup of noodles), are why it wasn't popular.

Now, again, notice I said families. That's because the TYPICAL visitor is part of a group of friends and/or family (usually the latter). I am not a typical visitor, because I go several times a year, sometimes even by myself. But I recognize that I am not typical, and don't think that Disney is going to cater to me. I expect them to cater to their largest audience, because that's what a business does. I don't believe the larger audience at WDW comes there to find exotic fast food - and, btw, just what kinds of food do you want that aren't available? You keep being so abstract, but when I go to AllEarsNet and look at the menus I find food for every taste you could imagine. What aren't they giving you that you want, besides noodles?

If it comes back, great. I don't care. I've been replying because the way you have presented your arguments has been rather offensive, as someone who enjoys the food at WDW and as an American since you keep using that as a slur for "simple minded". I agree, there are a lot of sheeple out there, but that's as offensive as assuming all rude people are French.

There are a number of (perhaps now ex-) Disney World fans who enjoyed coming to the parks not just to go on rides and meet characters, but because we enjoyed a magical world, walking around, spending time enjoying our meals, and enjoying shopping. But over the last 10 years that has significantly eroded away. I am trying to point out that park decision makers are not giving that market enough attention and when they do it is half-hearted at best.

Then write them letters. You seem to have a real big overall problem with how Disney runs things that is far beyond noodles, and not a discussion I feel the need to have with you as it's not really the topic here.

I think you are missing the little picture here when it comes to FAST FOOD. That is the discussion at hand, not your gripes with how Disney runs itself over the past decade. If you look beyond fast food (even though there are great, healthier options at most of the fast food locations that you continually ignore in this discussion), there are many, many options at WDW for those that want more adventureous tastes. Apparently they aren't "exotic" enough for you, but to the average American I really believe they are. If you are looking for experimental haute cuisine and that's your #1 concern, then Walt Disney World may not be the first vacation destination of choice. I wouldn't go to New York City looking for the world's best theme park, but I would go there if I was looking for exotic, authentic non-typical cuisine.

I'm not trying to discourage you from going to WDW, far from it, but in this thread I keep hearing about all the variety in most cities now, and that's great; Walt Disney World is a resort destination based around theme parks, and an entirely different audience than is available in, say, Chicago or Boston. Remember, we are weird in that we love WDW, LOL - most adults don't think about WDW as a vacation destination without children. Now, I don't have kids and I love WDW, no need to tell me people like us exist by giving me a link to another thread, ;) , but you can't ignore that the LARGER audience at WDW, the ones that bring in the majority of the bucks, are families with kids, unlike a city where the typical visitor and resident is looking for something much different.

People also make different choices on vacation. I am a definate meat eater, but I don't get burgers at home very often, and I can't remember the last time I had a chicken finger (or where I'd even get them). That kind of conventional, comfort food is what people are looking for in fast food FOR THE MOST PART. No everyone, all the time, but for the most part. People eat food on vacation they wouldn't at home, and sometimes that means more exotic, and sometimes it means eating a hamburger and worrying about being healthy the other 51 weeks out of the year you aren't on vacation. When they want more exotic, World Showcase, Boma, Brown Derby, the deluxe resorts, etc., are usually enough to satisfy people in a theme park setting.

I realize that for you that the noddle station was an insignificant location, and that the meal selection is not a big deal to you. For some of us Disney has lost a lot of the magic and special elements that we so loved. Instead of simply drifting away and joining the ranks of the Disney haters, I want to speak up about it so that others who also may start loosing their faith in the parks might have a bit of hope that things will get better.

You see, again, I'm not going to argue about the larger issues, and I don't entirely disagree in some ways with the fact that they aren't always going in the right direction. However, arguing with me isn't going to help that cause. I'm not against variety, and I never had anything against the noodle station being there; I simply didn't go there as a cup of noodles is not what I want in the Florida sun, or ever, really. However, in this thread I've recognized the reasons why it didn't do well and was never open, and how I feel the variety at Disney is there, and you are looking for something that I don't believe a whole lot of people are when it comes to fast food specificly. You believe otherwise, and you need to speak up to Disney if that's the case.

As I said in my last post, it's the arrogance of how you have presented the fact that you are not satisfied with the food at WDW. You have consistently called it "simple minded" and gone on about "Americanization". I hate to break it to you, but NOTHING is more American than Disney. Americanization is a scary thing that happens to native cultures when exposed to American culture, not something that happens to fast food at an American landmark theme park.

So be dissatisfied, and let your wants be heard. You haven't made any suggestions in all these posts, just debated noodles until we finally got to the bottom of the fact that you don't like a lot of the direction Disney has taken. What kinds of food do you want them to have? What don't they offer that you want? Let them know that, it's completely your right. But sitting here and using buzz-words like Americanization that don't really apply (it's actually an oxymoron in this case, the "Americanization of Disney Theme Park Food"), and implying that people that enjoy the food offerings at WDW are simple-minded and unhealthy simply because they eat some typical fast food on a theme park trip isn't necessary.

So instead of arguing, how about listing some of the things you wish they would give you. Make some ideas of what WOULD satisfy you. Be pro-active. Stop thinking about the big picture for a moment, and think about the realities : walking into the MK, what kid of fast food do you want them to have for you? See if other people agree and would like those choices as well. Just be careful to keep in mind that AP holders, locals, and people that travel to WDW more often than once per year (i.e., the largest audience at this message board) are not always going to want the same things as your average theme park guest. We're weird that way. :)

And when you've come up with some ideas of what you'd like, let Disney know. It might make you feel personally satisfied to debate it on a message board, but the only way you are going to see real change is if you, and others, contact them directly. They do read boards like this, but with the knowledge that while they can get some good information here, but by the very nature of the medium the visitors here (people that would actually regularly go to a site about a single vacation destination) are not automatically typical guests.

AEfx

cloudboy

I have to say I am a little let down by this because I tend to edge more towards the variety end of the menu in WDW these days. Years of going to WDW and eating the Same. Exact. Pizza. for days on end has kind of worn me down. I can't say the Noodle Station was a good or bad idea since I never got to try it :rolleyes: but I would have at least liked a chance to sample! :animwink: Oh well.

Well, if you have a car, there is a place called Mama Fu's up by Mall of Millenia that has quite a few noodle dishes.

cloudboy

AEfx-

You are aware that adults outnumber kids four to one at Disney? It's not just families, and that the whole point - anytime someone says something about wanting something a little more adult oriented we get yelled at, and then people turn around and wonder why their friends say Disney is for children. It isn't, but if people keep playing up the family aspect, it starts to look that way. You complain about me being offensive, yet you say Disney is supposed to be for families, and that my ideas of variety are invalid. It goes both ways. Just because I don't have a family doesn't mean I shouldn't be able to enjoy the parks.

As far as ideas, we have discussed that many years ago in some detail, but a few summary points, at least from my side - something like Sunshine Terrace (or food food fair or whatever it was called back when) was definitely somethign to try. As far as variety, noodles are the way to go - done right. There are cold noodle dishes - pasta salad, anyone? You offer noodles, with a choice of toppings, and a choice of sauces. While I thought it might do as a kind of buffet-type thing, I think now it might not work. But it is an easy way to get a huge amount of variety without having to complicate things. I also think an italina place along the lines of a Sbaaro or something would do well, too. And decent sandwhich places like Panera seem to do quite well, I don't see why they wouldn't in the MK.

Oh, and no, Walt Disney World really isn't, or rather wasn't, an American thing. That was at one point the whole concept - thus WORLD. There are hordes of foreign visitors who come, and in fact Disney pulls great numbers of visitors for states all over the country. It isn't just an American Familly park.

Oh, and offering a salad in addition to the 3 burgers and chicken fingers option is not really giving a wider selection

dxwwf3

As far as ideas, we have discussed that many years ago in some detail, but a few summary points, at least from my side - something like Sunshine Terrace (or food food fair or whatever it was called back when) was definitely somethign to try. As far as variety, noodles are the way to go - done right. There are cold noodle dishes - pasta salad, anyone? You offer noodles, with a choice of toppings, and a choice of sauces. While I thought it might do as a kind of buffet-type thing, I think now it might not work. But it is an easy way to get a huge amount of variety without having to complicate things. I also think an italina place along the lines of a Sbaaro or something would do well, too. And decent sandwhich places like Panera seem to do quite well, I don't see why they wouldn't in the MK.

I agree with you, but I personally still think the best bet would be slowly adding these type of items into the already established eateries.

AEfx

Just because I don't have a family doesn't mean I shouldn't be able to enjoy the parks.

You are preaching to the converted. I travel to WDW with family, with friends, and solo just about equallity. I'm first in line for more adult experiences at WDW, so please don't direct your general anger towards me from previous experiences you've had on message boards. However, I can't help but recognize the realities. You and I just seem to have different ideas of what is reality at WDW.

Oh, and no, Walt Disney World really isn't, or rather wasn't, an American thing. That was at one point the whole concept - thus WORLD. There are hordes of foreign visitors who come, and in fact Disney pulls great numbers of visitors for states all over the country. It isn't just an American Familly park.

Um, you aren't understanding here. Walt Disney World is one of the most iconic American landmarks, and more people around the world know what Disneyland and Walt Disney World are than know what the White House is. I never said international visitors were not part of the audience, LOL. But those international visitors aren't traveling around the world to experience their homeland's cuisine.

You keep saying "the americanization of food!" and it's just silly. The Disney park experience is quintessential Americana, which is one of the reasons they've had a hard time adapting it to other cultures (with the exception of Tokyo Disney, which fills the Japanese appetite for American entertainment exquisitely). Your arguments are cyllical and don't follow, and I think you wholly underestimate the appetite people from other cultures have for the American theme park experience when they visit.

So yes, it's really bizzare that you keep accusing Disney of being "Americanized", because that's just the most outlandish statement I can imagine reading. It's like going to a big-budget action movie and complaining about it being "too Hollywood" - what in the world do you expect?

Oh, and offering a salad in addition to the 3 burgers and chicken fingers option is not really giving a wider selection

/sigh, there's a lot more than that if you actually look, especially at menus from all over WDW. There are options everywhere that you just refuse to see.

It's clear we simply aren't going to agree. You keep assigning ideologies and arguments I'm not making. I simply understand why Noodle Station was not successful. Again, I implore you to make your wishes known to Disney instead of arguing with me like I'm some "Disney is for kids" freak who hates choices in food. I'm not. But there is no need for you to be so insulting by constantly using terms like "simple minded" and such just because of your varying food tastes.

I take you are American, and this disdain you have for being so is just off-putting. If you aren't an American, then it's just plain insulting. Not all Americans eat burgers and pizza everyday, but an awful lot of them like to eat it on vacation which is why they are plentiful at WDW. And WDW is smart and offers many options. It just baffles me that if you are an American, then how can you ascribe the perjorative way you've used the term if you yourself don't fit the box you've assigned it to mean?

It's all a pretty moot point anyway, as there is tons of variety for the vast majority of people at WDW. For most of us it's not a matter of searching for a place to eat, it's being able to fit in all the great options available with limited time.

Again, I encourage you to write to Disney and let them know your feelings. You are wasting your time lecturing to me about people who like to go to Disney without kids (that's really a laugh if you knew my posts at all, as I'd be the first in line for a $100 adults-only party without strollers at the MK, or an adults-only restaurant), and you just can't grasp that outside of the two burger joints at the MK there really is alot of variety. I guess you don't have much experience dining at Disney, or you are looking for something that is simply outside of the scope of the Disney experience (much like someone who complains that there aren't 300-foot tall triple-loop inverted open air coasters at WDW, it's just not what they do best). Go to AllEarsNet.com and check out some of the menus from the 100's of restaurants, it goes far beyond a salad at a burger joint.

I understand what you want, I just think your expectations for theme park food are a bit unrealistic, and not typical of the average guest.

AEfx

AEfx

I agree with you, but I personally still think the best bet would be slowly adding these type of items into the already established eateries.

As I've been saying throughout the thread, yes, I think that is a GREAT idea. Who doesn't like variety? But one food location that may provide a greater overall variety to the park but only carries one type of food just isn't going to be very successful in a theme park enviornment.

A noodle station attached to Cosmic Ray's would have provided groups (families, friends, enemies, whatever) yet another option in that location so everyone can be satisfied and still stay together.

AEfx

dxwwf3

As I've been saying throughout the thread, yes, I think that is a GREAT idea. Who doesn't like variety? But one food location that may provide a greater overall variety to the park but only carries one type of food just isn't going to be very successful in a theme park enviornment.

Exactly

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom