So, is Unleash the Villains still happening?

DicksonGR

Well that's us just back to the hotel now. I have to say that it was very smooth on the way out so they may have called a few more bodies in because of the crowds. I was on a bus within 5 minutes.

The event itself was mixed for me. It was cool seeing some unique characters, but for me the ridiculous dj made the park feel like a bad nightclub. While this may be enjoyable for some, I certainly don't see what it has to do with villains.

Fireworks were amazing and they should do this more at the studios. It's the first time I'd seen fireworks out with Fantasmic so for me I think it was worth the 2 1/2 hour bus ride for that alone.

All in all not a patch on MNSSHP but I suppose that's what you pay for.

Sped2424

Hopefully if this turns into a regular thing (Which I have no doubt it will) they will be able to spread it out more.
Please don't let this be a regular thing. This was madness. Like I promise you it was almost not even enjoyable had I not been with amazing people in line waiting, and 45 minute waits for everything (Excluding the actual meet and greets which were 2+ hours) . And for what? A one picture with a rare character that for all intensive purposes should be meetable at any time and any day? While the fire works and dj party were cool these are offerings that TDO could make happen all the time. The only reason why tonight was special was because they don't shell out the cash to have these characters out regularly. WHICH they totally could. After waiting for the villains I found myself saying "So were done right", if they are looking for this to become a regular event they need to have actual special things that take time and effort to make because TDO wouldn't be able to do it on any other day if they just wanted to. Halloween horror nights is an experience that justify paying admission. This event is a nice add on to being at the park already. But it shouldn't be a separated ticketed event.

PhotoDave219

Please don't let this be a regular thing. This was madness. Like I promise you it was almost not even enjoyable had I not been with amazing people in line waiting, and 45 minute waits for everything (Excluding the actual meet and greets which were 2+ hours) . And for what? A one picture with a rare character that for all intensive purposes should be meetable at any time and any day? While the fire works and dj party were cool these are offerings that TDO could make happen all the time. The only reason why tonight was special was because they don't shell out the cash to have these characters out regularly. WHICH they totally could. After waiting for the villains I found myself saying "So were done right", if they are looking for this to become a regular event they need to have actual special things that take time and effort to make because TDO wouldn't be able to do it on any other day if they just wanted to. Halloween horror nights is an experience that justify paying admission. This event is a nice add on to being at the park already. But it shouldn't be a separated ticketed event.

I'm 99% sure we were near each other for oogie

PhotoDave219

From anyone who came in from the BVD side, what was the issue? Everything I read said that the World Drive entrance was fine.

I'm guessing it will be viewed as a one time event and all lessons to be learned will be ignored, but maybe this will prompt them to build a new entrance.
It's my understanding that operations and upper management thought this would be a flop.

One cast member told me that they were projecting in the neighborhood of 32 but got close to 50.

Once the fireworks happens, everybody left.

smp2k6

Absolute chaos all around the Studios tonight. Traffic at a stand still. They had us drive through the entire parking lot and then out the exit with no indication that we should go to Epcot. Sat at the exit/intersection with Boardwalk for at least 30 mins with traffic moving nowhere. Traffic was backed up past POP. Finally gave up, headed back to I-4 and DTD. Although I missed the Villains and was really looking forward to enjoying the event, in the end I'm glad I didn't make it in. Sounds like it was just as crazy inside. I enjoyed all the great live music in Downtown instead (the vibe there were really good tonight). Then headed to EoS for a late, late sandwhich. Much more relaxing. I'm sure the fireworks will be on YouTube shortly....

They really need to let the Villains out more often.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
What park Operations, once they are done tallying the numbers, will miss, I suspect, is that there is demand there that is untapped, and that this means that HS needs investment and still is a strong brand.

Instead, they'll pat themselves on the back in the boardroom and say it was a job well done...and go on to planning their next special event.

It's like a Boy Scout troop who doesn't collect regular dues because the parents think it's silly, but then does a trip to Philmont and collects a lot of money.

It's sheer lunacy.

rct247

...meanwhile at Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party tonight, the park was completely dead. All rides were walk ons including Space Mountain which had been closed earlier this week. Lines for candy weren't bad at all!

I know many many friends who were all very disappointed in how everything panned out at Hollywood Studios tonight between the traffic, crowds, merchandise, food, and meet & greets. Being a local, half of my Facebook Newfeed was people who were stuck in traffic and gave up and the other half were people who made into the park but were miserable. Those who were "happy" thought the fireworks were awesome and were so proud of there photo with a villain they wait 2+ hours for. o_O

Last edited:

PhotoDave219

...meanwhile at Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party tonight, the park was completely dead. All rides were walk ons including Space Mountain which had been closed earlier this week. Lines for candy weren't bad at all!

I know many many friends who were all very disappointed in how everything panned out at Hollywood Studios tonight between the traffic, crowds, merchandise, food, and meet & greets. Being a local, half of my Facebook Newfeed was people who were stuck in traffic and gave up and the other half were people who made into the park but were miserable. Those who were "happy" thought the fireworks were awesome and were so proud of there photo with a villain they wait 2+ hours for. o_O

Well that's a two hour long week for a character that has only appeared in Disneyland approximately 10 years ago and never met at the Walt Disney World resort. Oggie boogie was flown in from California special for this. That's why people met him.

It's like Ahab's white whale.

NearTheEars

Just returned home. We planned to be 3 hours early, but it ended up being only 2 after taking about 45min to park. The key to a good time tonight for sure was to get there way early, luckily we got in.

We got near the front of the stage and had an awesome time. Plenty of the villains walked through the crowd. We did, however, skip the meet and greets after seeing the lines.

I thought the fireworks were pretty amazing, and after we headed over to ToT and RNRC.

By the time we left the lot was empty.

I could imagine for someone being on vacation or driving a long distance the night would have been pretty stressful, but we went into knowing the crowds would be huge and we'd have to wait. So we just relaxed, rolled with it and had a great time.

I don't, though, want them to do it again because I want to feel like we got to see something special.

Acoffeeman

It was definitely a "New Year's Eve" level of crowds tonight, but the event was still amazing! Unfortunately with all the activity at the stage, moving the meet and greets to somewhere else, like streets of America would not have eased the congestion near the hub...

Parking was a disaster...luckily while waiting for 30 minutes after the Hollywood lots were full, I looked to wdw magic and found out we could park at Epcot and we were in the the park in less than 30 minutes...

Last edited:

novawildcat18

This event was poorly organized and way out of hand. Understaffed and underestimated. However, I think most people had a blast. It was great to see some of these characters. Yes, I waited about 2.5 hours to see Oogie Boogie but since I've already ridden ToT and RnRC at least 15 times each on my college program so far, I didn't mind waiting around.

Didn't get to watch Hades and crew very much, but from what I saw, they were great. Fireworks were incredible. Too much Pirates music at the end (didn't really fit the theme too well), but it was a spectacle for sure. As much as I like the Mulch, Sweat, and Shears guys, I have grown tired of seeing them in at least 3 different costumes playing the same songs for the past couple of months.

Overall, a great event though. CM's did their best to handle the rabid fanbase. Hopefully this shows Disney that there is a huge demand for villains in the park, especially ones from Nightmare Before Christmas and Hercules....

Edit: One more thought, I don't understand why they didn't put the M&G areas in a different area of the park, maybe even spread out from each other. Did they not forsee the lines to get as insane as they did? Even if there were only half the people over there, it would've still been a nightmare.

Sped2424

Did anybody go inside princess fairy tale hall at the magic kingdom tonight? Supposedly it was open for guests ala "Dress rehearsal" style. Also a video (Albeit a stupid one) was put up showing off more details.
If this is all there is I have to say I am disappointed.

NearTheEars

The band looked like the same guys that have been playing the Monsters U stuff this summer. Is that correct? I kept picturing them in those monster costumes. They are very talented and entertaining, though. But like you said they played some of the same songs.

They still did a good job and it felt like a real concert. I bet they had a blast playing for the huge crowd.

PhotoDave219

Managed to get a pic with boogie only took 2 hrs!!! Besides that this place is packed. Worst yet the poor cms have to deal with the poor planning from tdo and all the angry guests.

I heard Dan Cockrell (vp/gm for DHS.... I think) was out fielding complaints by the line for Oogie.

There was a lot of line cutting. There was a lot of people joining friends in line.

I'm amazed you made it in 2 hours based on where you were in line....

PhotoDave219

The band looked like the same guys that have been playing the Monsters U stuff this summer. Is that correct? I kept picturing them in those monster costumes. They are very talented and entertaining, though. But like you said they played some of the same songs.

They still did a good job and it felt like a real concert. I bet they had a blast playing for the huge crowd.

Yes. Thats "Mulch, Sweat and Shears." They are the DHS house band. They're entertaining and thankfully they added a Beatles set.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom