So, is Unleash the Villains still happening?

LucyK

If Disney's TDO do not take their heads out of their behinds and finally create a Villains Party or something similar for the whole month of October at DHS, the future of Disney entertainment is bleak.

I would gladly pay MNSSHP prices to go for an event like this one. It's fun, unique and attracts more of an adult crowd, which could really compete with Universal's Horror Nights (which is just way too much for me).

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
If Disney's TDO do not take their heads out of their behinds and finally create a Villains Party or something similar for the whole month of October at DHS, the future of Disney entertainment is bleak.

I would gladly pay MNSSHP prices to go for an event like this one. It's fun, unique and attracts more of an adult crowd, which could really compete with Universal's Horror Nights (which is just way too much for me).

Yeah you would never see me at Horror Nights I'm to big of a chicken. I would gladly pay twice to attend a Villains Party and MNSSHP.

JimboJones123

Not a HHN person either. This was a pinch edgy, could use a bit more edge.

JimboJones123

The Hades musical sets were downright fun.

Meg and Hades really too Disney entertainment to a whole new level.

Meg was all kinds of sexy-sass. I mean, wow. WITH a long dress. Major thumbs up. If you have not watched the video, you really should.

But Hades was mind-blowing. Is sure hope face character Hades sticks around. It was like being in an alternate universe where Disney really let their property unleash himself. Hire more real talent like this guy and build these characters. 2 perfect examples of lesser characters that just flat out lifting an entire event on their shoulders.

I mentioned it before, but Shadow Man is RIPE for the same treatment. And not just a lame meet and greet guy. Hire real actors. There is HUGE demand for Shadow Man. I mean HUGE. By far the most popular guest costume at the event.

Piebald

My gal commented on how sexy Meg was. hades was great. Great dj. Band was awesome and if it truly was mulch sweat and tears then they are very good when not lip synching like they do in the park. Disney was retarded for not dispersing the characters around. They literally all met on lake echo and in front of the hat. Throw some back to streets of America but I guess the fireworks deter them from doing that.

LucyK

Yeah you would never see me at Horror Nights I'm to big of a chicken. I would gladly pay twice to attend a Villains Party and MNSSHP.
Me too! They are very different from one another and have their own stronger points. While I'm really looking forward to my first MNSSHP, it's a very tame concept geared towards kids. I don't want a parade nor treat or trick trails at a Villains Party, I want to hear colorful jokes (Disney approved, of course!), maybe Hades hosting a talk show where villains could bad mouth their respective heroes, special things like that. Plus those fireworks looked awesome, we need more of that as well.

FrankLapidus

But Hades was mind-blowing. Is sure hope face character Hades sticks around. It was like being in an alternate universe where Disney really let their property unleash himself. Hire more real talent like this guy and build these characters. 2 perfect examples of lesser characters that just flat out lifting an entire event on their shoulders.

I mentioned it before, but Shadow Man is RIPE for the same treatment. And not just a lame meet and greet guy. Hire real actors. There is HUGE demand for Shadow Man. I mean HUGE. By far the most popular guest costume at the event.

I liked the Hades face character but couldn't stop sub-consciously telling myself "he sounds nothing like James Woods" :p. Woods is just too good in that role.

I completely agree with you about Facilier, he is a great character. If they could get performers with the same kind of charisma and showmanship that the character had in the film then he would be a great addition to the parks.

GiveMeTheMusic

Wow - that Meg NAILED Susan Egan's speaking voice. Phenomenal work.

Went to DL's event and arrived early because I knew Anaheim gridlock would happen shortly thereafter. I don't know why the popularity of something like this surprises Disney so much - not everyone is into Princesses and Cars. DLR ran out of its special treats for the event at almost all locations. Town Square was pandemonium - 3-4 hour wait to meet two villains who rotated constantly. DCA got an afterthought - two ghostly bellhops stood in front of TOT taking photos with guests.

The only unique part of the event occurred from 10pm - 1am in New Orleans Square. Billed as a villain dance party, we didn't know quite what to expect, except that we were reminded repeatedly by cast members it was NOT a meet-n-greet. No queue was allowed to form until it opened, and we happened to be there right after the ropes dropped and were within the first 100 people or so. We were ushered up to the train station, where we went through like we were going to board the train.

Instead, a semi-transparent dance floor had been built out over the tracks, with two small stages, some go-go cages and a DJ. Three villains at a time boogied on the two elevated stages - while we were there we saw Hook, Frollo, Cruella, Queen, Maleficent, Facilier, the Tremaines, Shan Yu and the Queen of Hearts. The music was fun and the atmosphere was killer - great lighting, trains parked on either side of the station, searchlights in the sky, energetic dancers in the go-go cages. Guests were allowed in until it hit capacity and then were held until people left the dance floor.

The only problem with this is that very few people danced. It was mostly wall-to-wall people holding up their iPhones to try and get pictures of the villains. 2013 everyone!

Ops deserves a hand for just ATTEMPTING this New Orleans location with Fantasmic showing to capacity crowds and a Haunted Mansion Holiday extended queue taking up every last inch of space (lines were over an hour much of the evening for the ride). They did a great job considering the logistical difficulties.

Town Square also had a dance floor and DJ with some great lighting (no characters). It was much more crowded.

Overall it was fun because we arrived before the crowd hit and didn't have a problem parking. Some locals who live less than 15 minutes from the park reported a 2 hour 45 minute journey from home to Disney parking space - insane.

PhotoDave219

Some of the music was good, I just felt it had no place at a Disney "Villians" event. With the musical talent they have at their disposal, surely they could trance up a few Disney songs... I dunno. Each to their own I suppose!

Budgets. You have to pick your poison.

IMO, the point was that this was more Villans and not Disney. But if you listened to his set, there was a few Disney songs in it.

JimboJones123

Budgets. You have to pick your poison.

IMO, the point was that this was more Villans and not Disney. But if you listened to his set, there was a few Disney songs in it.
The tone was to be less "pixie magic" and more "party". I thought the music selection was fantastic. It wasn't the same pandering to the 40 year old too old to be rockers, nor was it to the "I'm and 80s kid" crowd, nor current Top 40.

You are right, to each their own, but I get tired of "worn out" or "trying to keep too fresh" sport stadium music. And Disney music would kill the vibe of the party. If one wants that, MNSSHP is right up their alley. They play "This is Halloween" every 18 minutes.

71jason

Random observations ...

Took the World Drive entrance around 5:30. Exactly one lane at the toll booth was open. That was my first "uh oh" moment.

By 6:00, had a text from a friend. On Buenavista, she'd moved 20 feet in 30 minutes. She was the first to bail. By the end of the night, twice as many friends tried to get to the event and didn't make it as actually got in. The picture I got from texts and the Hub and anecdotes from other guests was not pretty. PhotoDave said NYE crowd--having been caught in the early January 1 mess a few times in my life, this sounded worse.

A friend waited in line an hour for a T-shirt, only to be told they'd gone on sale at 9:00 am, had sold out hours ago.

Entertainment rumor--show started so late because a key character was stuck in traffic. Even with the delay, he didn't make it until half-way through the show.

There was one temporary bar set up, near the stage. It had at least a 60 person line an hour before showtime. Line for High Octane stretched down the handicapped ramp. Tune In Lounge had to be in violation of the fire code. None of the other temporary bars you see Christmas week has been set up.

Food locations all shut down fairly early--by 11:00 (probably even sooner), only Fairifax was left open. Meanwhile, the tiny little gift shop between Mermaid and Animation was open until 1:00.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Random observations ...

Took the World Drive entrance around 5:30. Exactly one lane at the toll booth was open. That was my first "uh oh" moment.

By 6:00, had a text from a friend. On Buenavista, she'd moved 20 feet in 30 minutes. She was the first to bail. By the end of the night, twice as many friends tried to get to the event and didn't make it as actually got in. The picture I got from texts and the Hub and anecdotes from other guests was not pretty. PhotoDave said NYE crowd--having been caught in the early January 1 mess a few times in my life, this sounded worse.

A friend waited in line an hour for a T-shirt, only to be told they'd gone on sale at 9:00 am, had sold out hours ago.

Entertainment rumor--show started so late because a key character was stuck in traffic. Even with the delay, he didn't make it until half-way through the show.

There was one temporary bar set up, near the stage. It had at least a 60 person line an hour before showtime. Line for High Octane stretched down the handicapped ramp. Tune In Lounge had to be in violation of the fire code. None of the other temporary bars you see Christmas week has been set up.

Food locations all shut down fairly early--by 11:00 (probably even sooner), only Fairifax was left open. Meanwhile, the tiny little gift shop between Mermaid and Animation was open until 1:00.
Would that be Pain? I noticed he was introduced with Meg but didn't come out?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom