So I'm becoming one of those and a little miffed

The Empress Lilly

Well here is your problem.

Why would you ask about 'grace periods' anyway? You are given an hour to get back to the ride, if you planned properly then this would not be an issue.

I am not surprised she got angry although she was wrong to shout it out so that you could hear it though.
Really? An employee is entitled to get angry at a guest because he has the nerve to ask for information about the Fastpass system?

Really?

The Empress Lilly

Your question to the cm was rhetorical. If you are on this site, you know the answer already. While the cm had some issue with it after the fact is wrong, the op still went looking for trouble. Forget about it and enjoy the trip.
Really? A customer 'goes looking for trouble' if he has the nerve to approach a CM with a question about the workings of the fastpass system?

AndyS2992

Really? An employee is entitled to get angry at a guest because he has the nerve to ask for information about the Fastpass system?

Really?

I work a similar job and I too get a little annoyed at silly questions. If the ticket clearly states '12:00 - 1:00' why would you ask if you can come in at 1:15? Of course you are going to get annoyed if you get this asked a hundred times a day when it clearly states on Fastpasses that you must come in your window.

And why you have felt the need to quote different people to say the exact same thing is also annoying lol

The Empress Lilly

I work a similar job and I too get a little annoyed at silly questions. If the ticket clearly states '12:00 - 1:00' why would you ask if you can come in at 1:15? Of course you are going to get annoyed if you get this asked a hundred times a day when it clearly states on Fastpasses that you must come in your window.

And why you have felt the need to quote different people to say the exact same thing is also annoying lol
I was simply left a bit speechless by both comments, so I quoted both.

If you work a service oriented job, then you are paid to answer questions hundreds of times a day. It's what you do. It's not silly, the questions aren't silly, the people asking them them aren't silly. People simply have a question, therefore somebody paid you to stand there and answer these questions. It is your job. I've worked those jobs too.

spacemt354

Chili's
I'm starting to look for things wrong or missing. I'm starting to raise the bar on what I see and hear.

Walt Disney said "Whenever I go on a ride, I'm always thinking of what's wrong with the thing and how it can be improved."

To that point, I can't really say you are wrong for being critical on your trip. However, there is a fine line to walk, imo.

I tend to enjoy the moment at Disney, because it is over before you know it. Disney World is a special place, and I always feel so fortunate to be there. Complaining and critiquing while in Disney World rarely ever happen since I only have a certain amount of time in my favorite place in the world. I wouldn't want to waste any of it specifically looking for things to fail.

However, I'm always critical after the trip. I judge what was great and what effects were either broken or not working.

To each his own I guess, but if I could offer some advice from experience, enjoy your time at WDW. It's a real treat to be there and I try not to take a moment for granted, because again, it goes by very fast.

Have a great trip!

spacemt354

Chili's

As a tour guide for my college, I get the same questions several times a day. To myself and other students, questions like "Where is the dining hall?" Or "How do I get to the admissions building" etc seem like very basic questions. However to people coming on campus for the first time, they might not have the whole place memorized. And even though they have a map that tells them where the building is, maybe they still are confused (even if the building they are looking for is right down the street)

These types of questions are asked all the time. I never give a arrogant response. I'm always respectful, even if I've answered the question 100 times already.

Same principle with CM's or any other job in general. Your job is to answer these questions no matter whether you find them annoying or not.

jlsHouston

If you work a service oriented job, then you are paid to answer questions hundreds of times a day. It's what you do. It's not silly, the questions aren't silly, the people asking them them aren't silly. People simply have a question, therefore somebody paid you to stand there and answer these questions. It is your job. I've worked those jobs too.

I think what has happened...and we can see by this thread that WDW is suffering from this malaise also within the ranks...as to what all constitutes customer service...I would include answering redundant questions with a smile and while refraining from uttering slams at the intelligence of the question too...just part of the job of customer service. Otherwise if it's annoying why work customer service...do like me and be self-employed with no employees. That way when someone annoys me I can tell them they are bothering me.. if I don't mind the way it might affect my paycheck.:D

ParentsOf4

I find it ironic that several have suggested to the original poster that they should be more positive and not go looking for negative things while simultaneously choosing to focus on the most negative aspects of that person's post, completely overlooking the fact that the post included "So far, pretty good ...":D

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
I was taught there is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers. It only takes a moment to give an answer to a question and you can choose to be rude or polite. I enjoy helping our clients become educated about our process where I work and have made some great friendships in the process. I see other people being rude or short with clients and I think to myself, " what good will that do?" I have modeled my customer service after Disneys CM's because even as child I recognized how much better customer service was at Disney. (that was in the 90's lol)- I agree that CM service has gone way down hill in recent years. Recently my parents got back from a Disney trip where they had experienced more than one rude CM. My mom made a comment that stuck with me, she said, "back in the day you could drop your hat at Disney and CM would be there to pick it up, now your lucky if they dont step on it."

Yert3

I hear ya. I try not to look for the bad, but when it seems like every attraction goes down at least once, it's time to start complaining. Even simple things like Mickey's Philharmagic have been having troubles lately.

Photo taken Dec 21st:
photo1_zps15616cd3.jpg

Bloopers

I'm sorry, but contrary to popular belief, there are such things as 'stupid' questions. I wouldn't call the fast pass ticket question a stupid one though because some people still have the misconception that they can arrive at the ride and use the fast pass even if hours have passed by, since it DID work in the past, regardless of what the ticket said.

ThankstoMOM

I too get annoyed when any employee or CM for that matter gets snotty with me. Yet at some point it has to be beyond frustrating to CMs when guests ask dumb questions repeatedly, everyone seems to want to push the envelope just a little farther. So much that there is a joke about 3oclock parade and it still lives on today. I don't believe jealousy plays into comments like this one, normally they would quietly talk about you, and yes they do talk about the dumb

My son looks at how some are raising their kids and that is his daily breaking point, parents encouraging their kids to do what they shouldn't be doing. Not thinking he is jealous of the little misbehaving parents and their spawn.

I think when you are looking for trouble you get trouble. Everyone by now knows the FP time rule, what if someone said yes 5 minutes and the next CM didn't honor that?
I vote for not asking CMs annoying questions.
I agree with you 100%, I ment it in a fun manner like, forget the CM and carry on with your vacation!!. Unfortunaly people don't feel the need to be informed about where they are vacationing so they ask really dumb questions. I wouldn't last long as a CM I'd be screaming at people over there rediculous questions.

luv

I'm sorry, but contrary to popular belief, there are such things as 'stupid' questions. I wouldn't call the fast pass ticket question a stupid one though because some people still have the misconception that they can arrive at the ride and use the fast pass even if hours have passed by, since it DID work in the past, regardless of what the ticket said.
It doesn't matter if the question is stupid or not. If you are paid to nicely answer stupid questions, then you should do that. If you cannot manage to answer stupid questions in a polite and friendly way, you should quit that job and go find one that you ARE capable of doing.

If you feel that knowing FP rules or having extensive Parade Time Knowledge makes you smarter than the person asking what time the parade will hit the hub, so be it. Brag about what a genius you are to your friends and family. But exercise some self-control and keep the insults to yourself while you are working.

Of course, I don't mean YOU you, lol. I mean, You Disney Employee Out There.

luv

Disney Cast Members should have their own version of Tom Wilson's "Back to the Future Questions" song.

OMG, that is so funny. He's actually much better looking there than he was in the movies...and has a good voice.

Adam Sandler seems like a nice guy. :)

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I agree with you 100%, I ment it in a fun manner like, forget the CM and carry on with your vacation!!. Unfortunaly people don't feel the need to be informed about where they are vacationing so they ask really dumb questions. I wouldn't last long as a CM I'd be screaming at people over there rediculous questions.

Gotcha! :) But in the example of the FP, we are aware, yet the need to pin a CM down on a 5 minute lead way. Some leads might say don't enforce 'till 5 minutes have past, others might hold tight. If there is a 5 minute wiggle on some attractions it is courteousness not something that should be demanded to be clarified, the clarity is in the time window itself. I understand the CMs annoyance, the error was not using a quiet voice when speaking to fellow CMs.

Bloopers

It doesn't matter if the question is stupid or not. If you are paid to nicely answer stupid questions, then you should do that. If you cannot manage to answer stupid questions in a polite and friendly way, you should quit that job and go find one that you ARE capable of doing.

If you feel that knowing FP rules or having extensive Parade Time Knowledge makes you smarter than the person asking what time the parade will hit the hub, so be it. Brag about what a genius you are to your friends and family. But exercise some self-control and keep the insults to yourself while you are working.

Of course, I don't mean YOU you, lol. I mean, You Disney Employee Out There.

Well yeah, I'm just saying there are stupid questions, not saying cast members should publicly announce one when they hear it though, lol. I just keep it in my head cause I honestly don't really care if I have to answer repetitive questions, I'm basically getting paid to stand around and talk to guests, can't find an easier job than that. I didn't see the point in the cast member overreacting, it's not like he/she had to go out of his way to answer the question. Maybe standing outside in the hot Florida sun makes some cast members a bit touchy :eek:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom