Snow White's Scary Adventures

Scuttle

When you remember how unbelievably upset people were at the loss of Mr. Toad, you can understand why someone might think you were serious. There were websites, petitions, talks of boycotts, you name it...

Which I'll never understand. Listen I loved Toad and it was a great dark ride, but come on. Some of these people went overboard. They acted like TDO was getting rid of Pirates or the Haunted Mansion. It was a good short dark ride, but that's it, no more no less.

RSoxNo1

it's higher.

(Re: Snow White's capacity) I can't imagine it's too different than Pooh. Is 600-800 more accurate?

The term "dark ride" traditionally meant a small car traveling along a busbar ride system past simple sets, usually set in the dark and lit with black-light fixtures to give the sets more dimension. They were a staple of Disneyland's Fantasyland in the 1950's, and have been included in at least one form in all the Fantasyland's built since then.

A "dark ride" in the traditional sense is Snow White, or Mr. Toad, or Peter Pan. A newer 21st century dark ride would be Winnie The Pooh on either coast, or Monsters Inc. in California. Even with the newer dark rides, they still don't use animatronics, but rather very simple manequins with only basic movements. Fantasyland dark rides required a B or C Ticket at either Disneyland or Magic Kingdom.

The Little Mermaid falls into a different category. It's bigger, bolder, on a much grander scale, using advanced animatronics and cutting edge special effectsThe Little Mermaid is bigger and bolder than Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin, but not quite on the scale of Haunted Mansion, mostly thanks to its scale and special effects. Although, at Disneyland at least, they have been upgrading the effects used on the older classic dark rides lately. Fiber optics in Disneyland's Peter Pan, digital projections on Alice In Wonderland, or the exciting new "digital mapping" imaging technique added last year to Snow White's Scary Adventures in Disneyland.

Using the traditional definition of a "dark ride", Magic Kingdom's Fantasyland will have only two of them left when Snow White's Scary Adventures closes next year.

I'm not a big fan of Peter Pan's Flight in Florida - I think it's a better ride in California but it seems to be wildly ineffecient in Disneyland (no conveyor belt). I think Alice in Wonderland is the best dark ride in Disneyland, but had a question about the digital mapping in Disneyland's Snow White. What was it that this effected? Was it the rain drop scene or something else entirely?

pax_65

Which I'll never understand. Listen I loved Toad and it was a great dark ride, but come on. Some of these people went overboard. They acted like TDO was getting rid of Pirates or the Haunted Mansion. It was a good short dark ride, but that's it, no more no less.

I agree. I think some people just love the parks so much, they don't want anything to change. But of course, the parks should change and MUST change to keep people interested and excited about new attractions. Otherwise the park becomes a museum to it's own past.

Obviously you want to see new attractions that are better than the old ones. Test Track is better than World of Motion. Buzz Lightyear is better than Dream Flight. Pooh is (arguably) better than Toad. I'm confident 7DMC will be better than SWSA - which I'm seeing as the replacement. Then hopefully we'll get something cool and new in SWSA someday instead of just a meet and greet.

Spike-in-Berlin

When you remember how unbelievably upset people were at the loss of Mr. Toad, you can understand why someone might think you were serious. There were websites, petitions, talks of boycotts, you name it...

Exactly. I have to admit I don't understand why because I found it quite mediocre but it seems to be one of those beloved classics that have still a huge fan group, like Horizons.
But the reaction of worldkey is quite a good reason to ignore such statements the next time.

Scuttle

Exactly. I have to admit I don't understand why because I found it quite mediocre but it seems to be one of those beloved classics that have still a huge fan group, like Horizons.
But the reaction of worldkey is quite a good reason to ignore such statements the next time.

Ya, but Horizons was a way better ride than Toad. It had incredibly detailed show scenes, a lot of Audio Animatronics and a sound track that was flawless. It also gave you so much optimism about the future.

RSoxNo1

Ya, but Horizons was a way better ride than Toad. It had incredibly detailed show scenes, a lot of Audio Animatronics and a sound track that was flawless. It also gave you so much optimism about the future.

Exactly. This is coming from someone that made a Mr. Toad tribute video - Toad was a C-ticket fun house style dark ride whose biggest appeal was nostalgia/kitschiness.

Horizons on the other hand was an E-Ticket on a level at or above Spaceship Earth. At the time it closed, it needed an upgrade in the same way that Spaceship Earth needed an update when it changed from Jeremy Irons to Judy Dench (the opinions of the actual update are irrelevent). The problem at this tme was, Epcot also needed thrill rides so we ended up with Mission: SPACE. In hindsight, Horizons should have been retained and Mission: SPACE should have replaced Wonders of Life, or been attached to the Horizons building sandwiched between Test Track and Horizons.

Horizons is the most substantial attraction ever replaced in Disney World, that's why so many people are upset about its removal.

ob1thx1138

I wish they would have updated Horizons and added Space in. That would have been awesome.

disneycraze

Original Poster
I think SWSA would be great as a tangled ride or maybe even princess and the frog( jk lol) but some movies that are fantastic and should be made into a ride. Who wants a meet and greet don't they have 2 meet and greets next to Tonys town square resturaunt??

nemofinder22

I think Alice in Wonderland is the best dark ride in Disneyland, but had a question about the digital mapping in Disneyland's Snow White. What was it that this effected? Was it the rain drop scene or something else entirely?

Starts at 1:01 in the video below you can see the new projections, it happens pretty fast, and the rain drops at the end are also new.
[youtube]yuFhJHwD6-g[/youtube]

If I remember correctly Mr. Toad received new fireplace effects some time this year. It certainly looked newer and improved last time I was there.

aladdin2007

I agree. I think some people just love the parks so much, they don't want anything to change. But of course, the parks should change and MUST change to keep people interested and excited about new attractions. Otherwise the park becomes a museum to it's own past.

Obviously you want to see new attractions that are better than the old ones. Test Track is better than World of Motion. Buzz Lightyear is better than Dream Flight. Pooh is (arguably) better than Toad. I'm confident 7DMC will be better than SWSA - which I'm seeing as the replacement. Then hopefully we'll get something cool and new in SWSA someday instead of just a meet and greet.

Really? I beg to differ some there, but then of course its personal opinion afterall.

RSoxNo1

Starts at 1:01 in the video below you can see the new projections, it happens pretty fast, and the rain drops at the end are also new.
[youtube]yuFhJHwD6-g[/youtube]

If I remember correctly Mr. Toad received new fireplace effects some time this year. It certainly looked newer and improved last time I was there.

Thanks, I don't believe those effects were working on Snow White when I went on it. Toad did seem to have some LED effects when you came through the fireplace but it seemed to be more for the people in the queue than those on the ride (it gave the impression that there were burning embers coming from the fireplace).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom