News Smoking locations updated at the Magic Kingdom

selbymic

It is still legal to smoke. Frowned upon, socially unacceptable, unhealthy, and generally considered rude and disorderly - but still legal. As long as people only smoke in designated areas - where I don't have to be exposed to them - I'm fine with it. Or do we want to make a law banning it, and turn millions of previously law abiding citizens into criminals overnight?

Many states already have laws about smoking in public areas including parks and recreation areas. You cannot smoke in restaurants, airplanes, hospitals, public buildings, etc., etc. Every time I go into the parks, there are people smoking in areas that are not designated as smoking areas who pretend they can't read English or understand the internationally known no smoking emblem. The cast members will not do anything about it. So regardless of your: "I don't have to be exposed to them", we all are exposed to it. If this was any place other than Disney, I would not go there. I don't care if someone wants to smoke; but I don't understand why I have to be exposed to it.

Jay & Sue

I really think expecting smokers to not smoke in their own car during the summer with their windows down is really ridiculous.

Not picking on you at all but why have their windows down? Don't smokers like to breath second hand smoke? Maybe they find second hand smoke offensive. Maybe they prefer fresh clean air instead.

21stamps

I’m kind of laughing at this thread..obviously smoking is unhealthy, I’m just wondering how many overweight people are walking by a smoking section, Dr Pepper in one hand, Mickey Bar in another.. and complaining about getting a sniff of second hand smoke, that’s going to be the cause of their health problems.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I’m kind of laughing at this thread..obviously smoking is unhealthy, I’m just wondering how many overweight people are walking by a smoking section, Dr Pepper in one hand, Mickey Bar in another.. and complaining about getting a sniff of second hand smoke, that’s going to be the cause of their health problems.
Second-hand fat is not an issue.

jaklgreen

A person being fat is not going to give ME health issues.

LAM378

IMO, there are plenty of out of the way spaces for DSAs in the parks and resorts. Places you’d have to actively seek out in order to find. If this new Tomorrowland DSA is where I’m thinking it is, it’s tucked out of the way, and if a non-smoker stumbles into it, well, they can find another spot to chill for a minute, which comprises the other 95% the park.

The smoking section between Norway and China is a good example. It’s an alleyway. No shops, no restrooms, no food service. It’s not on the pathway. You can go into the alleyway and light up, or you can keep walking. There are many such spots resort-wide, and those should be the smoking areas.

I get the reasons why they’ve gotten rid of the majority of the DSAs. Many of them were stupidly located in the first place. Anyone remember the one on the walkway to Adventureland? I don’t understand who even thinks these things up. As of last year, there was a smoking section right outside Niue at the Poly, dead on the path to the Great Ceremonial House and right smack in front of the fake grass area where they run the children’s activities. I would only use it very late at night and very early in the morning, when there was no foot traffic. There was another lovely spot right under the monorail beam that no one came near...unless they wanted to smoke. Easy!

These smoking threads always spiral real fast, and I don’t get it. We all live and work somewhere, and pretty much every day we pass by a place where someone is smoking. People are smoking outside your job and outside the mall and outside the movie theater. It’s part of living in the world with other people, whether we all like it or not. In the real world, we just keep moving if we don’t like it. The same should be the case in WDW.

The DSAs have been cut and cut and cut, and it doesn’t stop anyone from smoking. Pick some good out of the way spots and contain it as much as possible, and everyone else can move along, same as we do in everyday life.

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

IMO, there are plenty of out of the way spaces for DSAs in the parks and resorts. Places you’d have to actively seek out in order to find. If this new Tomorrowland DSA is where I’m thinking it is, it’s tucked out of the way, and if a non-smoker stumbles into it, well, they can find another spot to chill for a minute, which comprises the other 95% the park.

The smoking section between Norway and China is a good example. It’s an alleyway. No shops, no restrooms, no food service. It’s not on the pathway. You can go into the alleyway and light up, or you can keep walking. There are many such spots resort-wide, and those should be the smoking areas.

I get the reasons why they’ve gotten rid of the majority of the DSAs. Many of them were stupidly located in the first place. Anyone remember the one on the walkway to Adventureland? I don’t understand who even thinks these things up. As of last year, there was a smoking section right outside Niue at the Poly, dead on the path to the Great Ceremonial House and right smack in front of the fake grass area where they run the children’s activities. I would only use it very late at night and very early in the morning, when there was no foot traffic. There was another lovely spot right under the monorail beam that no one came near...unless they wanted to smoke. Easy!

These smoking threads always spiral real fast, and I don’t get it. We all live and work somewhere, and pretty much every day we pass by a place where someone is smoking. People are smoking outside your job and outside the mall and outside the movie theater. It’s part of living in the world with other people, whether we all like it or not. In the real world, we just keep moving if we don’t like it. The same should be the case in WDW.

The DSAs have been cut and cut and cut, and it doesn’t stop anyone from smoking. Pick some good out of the way spots and contain it as much as possible, and everyone else can move along, same as we do in everyday life.

THANK YOU :). Total agreement, and I'm one of those old, 66'ish that does smoke - but NEVER wants to upset another :(.
I'm hoping the new Tomorrow land DSA is where I THINK it is. Oddly? It was there before - a blind alley. The DSA on the "path" between TL and SBC was a HORRIBLE idea: People innocently walking strollers got trapped :(. I used it - but only because WDW mandated it.

Now - "the one on the walkway to Adventureland" - we may be thinking of different locations. The one I remember WAS a "dead end turnout" that replaced the previous "dead end" going to Tiana's M&G? That DSA actually WORKED - until the other DSA's got eliminated, and it started to suffer from overcrowding :(.

As always.... I'll suggest DSA's within the SOUTH and NORTH bypass entrances - active during the day, shut down when the Bypass is needed for crowd control. VERY similar to one of the HS DSA's, around TOT.

Chef Mickey

It is still legal to smoke. Frowned upon, socially unacceptable, unhealthy, and generally considered rude and disorderly - but still legal. As long as people only smoke in designated areas - where I don't have to be exposed to them - I'm fine with it. Or do we want to make a law banning it, and turn millions of previously law abiding citizens into criminals overnight?
I mean, that’s true, but there are lots of legal things that have no place at Disney. Strip clubs are legal too.

Taking that further, Pot is legal in some states. If it makes it to Florida, should they be legal too?

Like I always say, time and place for everything.

Disney is private property and they should implement the rules that benefit the most guests, particularly children.

Smoking should be completely gone in the parks.

I mean, that’s true, but there are lots of legal things that have no place at Disney. Strip clubs are legal too.

Taking that further, Pot is legal in some states. If it makes it to Florida, should they be legal too?

Like I always say, time and place for everything.

Disney is private property and they should implement the rules that benefit the most guests, particularly children.

Smoking should be completely gone in the parks.
Then alcohol should be banned too, yes?

DisneyGentlemanV2.0

burningcabin_wdw_2004.jpg

My favorite former smoking area...

jaklgreen

I understand that, the comment was- if those people thought that second hand smoke was the riskiest of their could-be health problems.
Read it again, it had nothing to do with people passing other fat people.lol

People understand that other things affect their health but they choose to do those things. Walking through cigarette smoke is not their choice. And for some like those with asthma and allergies, it really does affect them instantly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom