News Smoking locations updated at the Magic Kingdom

Kman101

It sounds like you found "Cancer Row." I agree 100% that this was a definite mistake. This location is actually a relocated smoking section that used to be between Africa and Pandora. My family and I used to eat in the surrounding area (Harambe Market, etc.) and now we cannot for this very reason. Moreover, if you want to avoid it and go to Asia you have to leave Africa through the main entrance and go through Discovery Island; a path that is at least three times the length of Cancer Row. It is a main thoroughfare. If anywhere, it should be away like where the meet and greet for Baloo and King Louie are.

They pick such awful locations. I don't get it. Is it on purpose? Are they just dense?

Kman101

No, I think it is still legal. But that does not mean that it stays in their own car. As someone with a severe allergy to cigarettes, if someone in the car ahead of me or next to me is smoking then I can smell it and it sets off and allergic reaction. So basically I am unable to have my car windows open and always have to have my recirculated air on in my car so no cigarette smoke comes in while I am driving. Most people do not realize that there are plenty of people out there with this issues. At times you feel like a prisoner because I can not go to any outdoor venues because it is legal for people to smoke outside. And like I said, even going to the grocery store is hit and miss because there will be times that someone is walking to/from their car to the entrance still smoking. I just wanted to put it out there that there are those of us that have this severe allergy and we are not just trying to "shame" a smoker, but would just like to be able to do our every day things without having an allergic reaction. My symptoms are getting worse as I age. Just recently my throat started to close up. I might have to start carrying and epi pen if it gets worse. Society is usually really good about allergies like peanuts but no on seems to care about those with cigarette allergies.

And that's why I'm a respectful smoker. No one else wants my smoke. It's not hard to be respectful but so many aren't. I'm sorry about your allergy, I suffer from a peanut allergy, ironically enough (and spinach; go figure that one out - I ate both as a kid no problem). I sympathize totally with the allergy.

Scuttle

And easier said than done in some cases. I swore up and down I'd never smoke.
As did I. The war on drugs scare tactics worked on me right up until I hit high school. Where real social esteem issues arise. Took years to finally wind to an occasional celebratory or drunk smoker. But it was a struggle and still is to not pick it up full throttle again.

Kman101

As did I. The war on drugs scare tactics worked on me right up until I hit high school. Where real social esteem issues arise. Took years to finally wind to an occasional celebratory or drunk smoker. But it was a struggle and still is to not pick it up full throttle again.

Yep, it started casually, and probably "because I could" (social/drunk smoker as well, now I barely have a drink but smoke, go figure). It's stupid, we all know this. I know people try to be helpful by talking about the health risks (and many of you likely have genuine care and concern, and some of you having lived through seeing someone battle an illness and lose their life; I understand you have very passionate feelings) but in all truth, most of us know this and still stupidly do it. Just let people live their lives as long as they're respectful (if they're rude, I wouldn't hesitate to point out some things, personally, lol, but that's me). I'm actually surprised the amount of people who still smoke cigarettes. I don't think people realize it's still a very popular habit.

And in a similar vein, I notice an alcohol shaming as well sometimes on here. As long as someone is responsible, and respectful, and still in control, let someone do them. Alcohol kills too.

But I'm rambling ...

Scuttle

Yep, it started casually, and probably "because I could" (social/drunk smoker as well, now I barely have a drink but smoke, go figure). It's stupid, we all know this. I know people try to be helpful by talking about the health risks (and many of you likely have genuine care and concern, and some of you having lived through seeing someone battle an illness and lose their life; I understand you have very passionate feelings) but in all truth, most of us know this and still stupidly do it. Just let people live their lives as long as they're respectful (if they're rude, I wouldn't hesitate to point out some things, personally, lol, but that's me). I'm actually surprised the amount of people who still smoke cigarettes. I don't think people realize it's still a very popular habit.

And in a similar vein, I notice an alcohol shaming as well sometimes on here. As long as someone is responsible, and respectful, and still in control, let someone do them. Alcohol kills too.

But I'm rambling ...

Your rambling right up my mostly Libertarian Tree.

I totally agree that non Smokers should be a little more understanding. Don’t be mad at the smoker be mad at the companies that have zero ethics and would sell tobacco to kids if they could.

MsAnniee

Glad they moved the Tomorrowland one. The other areas are moderately out of the way and condensed, but walking the trail to Storybook the other night the smokers were spread out throughout a majority of it.

If someone wants to smoke, it is their life. Everbody has their own thing which may not be particularly healthy. However when someone decides that I should become a smoker and forces me to breath in their smoke.....

All for designated smoking areas, but I find once people are outside of the park itself lighting up and forcing those around them to smoke is an issue.

I always politely thank those individuals for sharing their smoke with me.

geekza

If someone wants to smoke, it is their life. Everbody has their own thing which may not be particularly healthy. However when someone decides that I should become a smoker and forces me to breath in their smoke.....

All for designated smoking areas, but I find once people are outside of the park itself lighting up and forcing those around them to smoke is an issue.

I always politely thank those individuals for sharing their smoke with me.
And I'm sure they provide a polite, non-passive-aggressive response using a single digit.

MsAnniee

And I'm sure they provide a polite, non-passive-aggressive response using a single digit.

Actually no. They look quite shocked. Just like a child who gets caught doing something naughty.

Why should I be forced to smoke so they can get their fix. If this post was about drinking and then driving home, everyone would be worried about an accident. Me breathing in smoke is just as dangerous to my health as someone drinking and driving. The outcome isn’t just as immediate.

jaklgreen

One guest got really upset because it was, as he pronounced it, “Daaaaaah-scriminatory” for making people walk so far away. I just apologized and said that that was where’s it is. He wasn’t happy and went out saying how Disney was discriminating against smokers.

I love this line that smokers use, as if smoking is a right. I would think that it is the opposite, people should have the right to breath clean air.

geekza

Actually no. They look quite shocked. Just like a child who gets caught doing something naughty.

Why should I be forced to smoke so they can get their fix. If this post was about drinking and then driving home, everyone would be worried about an accident. Me breathing in smoke is just as dangerous to my health as someone drinking and driving. The outcome isn’t just as immediate.
It really isn't. Still.

I understand if someone is blowing plumes of smoke in your general direction in a crowded space. However, you're outside and, presumably, walking, so saying something like you did just comes across as passive-aggressive and a bit holier-than-thou.

ppet

It is still legal to smoke. Frowned upon, socially unacceptable, unhealthy, and generally considered rude and disorderly - but still legal. As long as people only smoke in designated areas - where I don't have to be exposed to them - I'm fine with it. Or do we want to make a law banning it, and turn millions of previously law abiding citizens into criminals overnight?
I don't mind the smoking in designated areas, but I despise people who throw their butts on the ground. That is illegal and called littering which I wish was enforced.

jaklgreen

It really isn't. Still.

I understand if someone is blowing plumes of smoke in your general direction in a crowded space. However, you're outside and, presumably, walking, so saying something like you did just comes across as passive-aggressive and a bit holier-than-thou.

That is true, but why is there a need for people to remind smokers to not smoke while they are walking to the buses. There are dozens/hundreds of people walking in that area. Can't they wait to get back to the resort and a designated smoking section?

trainplane3

Your rambling right up my mostly Libertarian Tree.

I totally agree that non Smokers should be a little more understanding. Don’t be mad at the smoker be mad at the companies that have zero ethics and would sell tobacco to kids if they could.
Amen to that. A friends dad wouldn't stop smoking until he had a stroke. He quite literally quit in two days after that. Before that though, he said he tried smoking a long time ago and couldn't stop. He wanted to stop but never could until the stroke.

And I like the idea of a "luxury" area for smokers. It would give them an incentive to go out of their way and smoke in the "right" spot then in front of Small World.

And a note, I've never been a smoker. My reason is, quite literally, it costs too much (never had a reason to try either) and I'd rather spend my money on Lego, computer parts, and car parts :p arguably worse addictions...

geekza

That is true, but why is there a need for people to remind smokers to not smoke while they are walking to the buses. There are dozens/hundreds of people walking in that area. Can't they wait to get back to the resort and a designated smoking section?
They can and in a crowded situation, should. With that said, it was the nature of what was said that was my issue. It served no productive purpose.

jaklgreen

Amen to that. A friends dad wouldn't stop smoking until he had a stroke. He quite literally quit in two days after that. Before that though, he said he tried smoking a long time ago and couldn't stop. He wanted to stop but never could until the stroke.

And I like the idea of a "luxury" area for smokers. It would give them an incentive to go out of their way and smoke in the "right" spot then in front of Small World.

And a note, I've never been a smoker. My reason is, quite literally, it costs too much (never had a reason to try either) and I'd rather spend my money on Lego, computer parts, and car parts :p arguably worse addictions...

It is funny how smokers are able to stop when they get scared enough. My dad stopped cold turkey after my mom died of lung cancer. Just like that. It all comes down to a choice. Yes it is an addiction but you can choose to fight the addiction.

jaklgreen

They can and in a crowded situation, should. With that said, it was the nature of what was said that was my issue. It served no productive purpose.

It is the "bigger" thing to not say anything but you know human nature, sometimes you just feel like your point should be made. I think some people don't even realize how much it bothers others unless they are told. But in my experience, a good amount of smokers just don't care about others around them. You see how many smoke right by their kids. I think Disney should do a better job of educating guests on where it is appropriate to smoke and have them ban it on property other then DSAs. They definitely should not allow it on the walkways/bus stops.

Goofyernmost

The best cure is dont start. Teach your children
Apparently you never had children, because if you did you would know that once they hit a certain age what you teach them has little impact. In fact, an argument can be made that the more it is forbidden the more curious they are to try it. And the more distant the parents and the children are the more likely they are to do it just to tick you off.

Also, is the very essence of telling people that since they freely started the habit, that they should just quit because YOU don't like it. The more you enforce no, the more likely they are to flip the bird and go about doing whatever they want. But, then again you were smart enough to never start, so you must also be smart enough to already know that.

The implication in your post that people do everything they can to encourage their children to smoke is not only insulting, but, so far from common sense that if is laughable. I was a smoker when my kids were home, just about all of it. I never encouraged them not to smoke, I never had too. Neither one of them either tried it or started it. I know about teaching by example, but, that doesn't work with everything. The example I gave them didn't stick.

So if it applies to smokers it should apply to drinking as well. If you don't ever drink you will never be involved in an accident with alcohol connected on your part. No one will ever die again in a head on collision with a drunk driver. Teach your children not to drink or do drugs. That will stop it.

Scuttle

It really isn't. Still.

Second hand smoke being worse than first hand smoke is a fallacy anyway. Especially in an outdoor setting. No worse than the exhaust fumes you inhaled on the way in on i4.

ppet

I can see it now. Disney will soon be adding a new hard ticket option. After hours in a Haze. Pay one large sum and be able to smoke on any ride or in any line. Get your tickets soon.
I am a reformed smoker. It was not easy to quit but it can be done. If you can't quit at least be respectful and smoke in designated smoking areas and clean up after yourself. that's not too much to ask.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom