Smoking in Non-Smoking Rooms

Disney for Bonk

My wife and I are diehard Disney fans and go to the World at least once a year.
We just came back from the World after a 5 day vacation and stayed at POP Century. Since my wife has lung disease, we always call Special Needs, in advance, and request a non-smoking room closer to the buses and main building. Unfortunately, Disney has no provision for people with serious medical issues and would not offer us a close room without charging us the extra fee. The best that they could do was offer us a room in the 50's building on the 3rd floor near the parking lot.
Like clockwork, at 7-7:30am each morning, we were awoken by cigarette smoke coming from the bathroom venting.
On the way to the park that morning, I brought this to the attention of Concierge. They told us that there was no way of determining the originating room since they share the same venting. Their suggestion was to move rooms or they could ozone clean the entire room. I opted for the ozone, since we didn't want to disrupt our park visit, along with our 1st timer friends. It already took us over an hour to get settled into the room. We didn't want to have to re-pack, then un-pack again. Our stay was too short as it was. Also, I was hoping that the person smoking in one of the bathrooms wouldn't be staying long and go away. That didn't happen.
Before checking out on our last day, we talked to a cleaner and he acknowledged that he smelled the smoke and had reported the room to his supervisor. At Check-Out, we again brought this to the attention of the resort management. Their suggestion was that we should have moved. But, our reasoning was: Why should one bad apple ruin it for the entire bunch? What if others complained about the smoke within the same building? Would Disney rather move everyone out and let the smoker stay?
Yes, smokers have the right to smoke, if they choose to, but do it in the smoking rooms and sections! Who's to say that a new room would have been any better for us? Someone could be smoking in that area as well.
We suggested that Disney install cigarette smoke sensors, like other hotels, in select rooms, in 1 building, that share the same venting, with warning signs posted within. I realize that the resorts are meant to have a friendly atmosphere, but this would deter others from smoking in non-smoking rooms and allow the problem to be addressed right away, instead of telling us that they have no way of finding out which room is the culprit. This is Disney...they have the resources!
What do you think? How do you think this problem could be resolved. I realize that smokers are just as frustrated because they are limited to where they can smoke, but this is not fair. We give you your space, please let us have ours...:hammer: :brick: :dazzle: :veryconfu

3fordisney

I do not smoke, but my DH does. We always get nonsmoking rooms and he has to go outside to smoke or out on the balcony. I make sure he stays as far away from the doors at the values. We have been to hotels where the nonsmoking room either smelled like smoke or the smell of smoke was coming in through the vents. I can't stand that. It drives me nuts. My Dh has to smoke outside of our home and can't smoke in our vehicles. I'm just hoping he'll quit soon. Its just a bad habit that isn't good for you and those around you.

Upvote 0

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I think people who smoke in non smoking areas and tamper with smoke detecting equipment should have to run the risk of being attacked by killer snakes like the two were in Snakes on a Plane. :lookaroun

This was a joke....:D

Upvote 0

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
oy vey... people need to learn to read.. but not read into what's not there.

How on earth does two wrongs make a right? Just because the hotel couldn't accomodate your request doesn't mean that it gives one a free pass to break the rules. That is terribly inconsiderate of that person, especially when the guests in the room next to you have to smell the smoke as well. If the sign says no smoking, they mean it, the rules apply to everyone, not everyone but me.

If a smoker books a smoking room but does not get a smoking room like they had reserve, and is in turn placed into a NON SMOKING ROOM, then they are free to smoking in the room they have been given.

Even though there are many variables that could have led to this, it is ultimately the hotels fault because the hotel has defaulted on what has been agreed to at the time of booking.

And to further explain:

I hope you're kidding!! Your reasoning here doesn't make much sense to me.

Basically, if a smoker books a "smoking" room but doesn't get it, he/she can smoke in there anyway because they didn't get the room they reserved. But, if a non-smoker gets a "smoking" room because that's all that's available, we have no right to complain?

Maybe you meant to word it differently? Doesn't make much sense to me!

At the time you are making the reservation, you are told what is available. If only smoking rooms are available, you're stuck. You can request a non-smoking room, but the hotel is under no pressure to give you a non-smoking room.

If you reserve a nonsmoking room, and get a smoking room... you have every right to be upset and complain. However, if you reserve a smoking room in hopes of getting a nonsmoking room and get a smoking room... tough. You reserved a smoking room, and know the implications of that. The hotel is under no obligation to provide you with anything more than what you reserved. A request is just that, a request. You don't order a Burger at McDonalds and hope to get a happy meal. Just because you requested it doesn't make it available... either due to already having been sold, or plan nonexistance.

Unfortunately, it is much easier to turn a nonsmoking room into a smoking room than vice-versa.

And for the record, I am not a smoker.

Upvote 0

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
If a smoker books a smoking room but does not get a smoking room like they had reserve, and is in turn placed into a NON SMOKING ROOM, then they are free to smoking in the room they have been given.

I agree with that statement unless there was/is no disclaimer at the time of booking that states that there are no guarentees on room preferences.

Upvote 0

Diane Hughess

I consider myself to be a 'considerate' smoker. i don't smoke in my home or in a hotel room in consideration of my family. However, it is not very easy to find all of the smoking sections in the "World". By the Haunted Mansion, the 'smoking' area has been changed at least 3 times over the last few years. I look on the map, think I find the area, then see a "no smoking" sign. Then I ask cast member after cast member where the area is and they don't know. My last visit, a cast member said "oh, here it is!" so I sat to light up, and another cast member told me that I needed to go to a smoking section to smoke...I asked where it was, then, and he said he didn't know!!!! What also gets my goat is when I am in a smoking section, and people walk by, fanning their faces DRAMATICALLY and making rude comments about the smoke. GIVE ME A BREAK!!!
Smoking issues aside, my biggest complaint about my last visit was the high number of obese people!! They were standing around, blocking every doorway, taking up every bench and blocking every path I was trying to steer my stroller around!! I guess I really noticed the high number of large behinds because as a stroller pusher, My vision was aimed waist high. I'm not talking about a few people who may have medical conditions, but young parents with young children. I wonder how all of these extremely large people even fit on the rides?? I can't imagine what visitors from other countries must think of the States when their "snapshot" of Americans are XXXL people!!

Upvote 0

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I consider myself to be a 'considerate' smoker. i don't smoke in my home or in a hotel room in consideration of my family. However, it is not very easy to find all of the smoking sections in the "World". By the Haunted Mansion, the 'smoking' area has been changed at least 3 times over the last few years. I look on the map, think I find the area, then see a "no smoking" sign. Then I ask cast member after cast member where the area is and they don't know. My last visit, a cast member said "oh, here it is!" so I sat to light up, and another cast member told me that I needed to go to a smoking section to smoke...I asked where it was, then, and he said he didn't know!!!! What also gets my goat is when I am in a smoking section, and people walk by, fanning their faces DRAMATICALLY and making rude comments about the smoke. GIVE ME A BREAK!!!
Smoking issues aside, my biggest complaint about my last visit was the high number of obese people!! They were standing around, blocking every doorway, taking up every bench and blocking every path I was trying to steer my stroller around!! I guess I really noticed the high number of large behinds because as a stroller pusher, My vision was aimed waist high. I'm not talking about a few people who may have medical conditions, but young parents with young children. I wonder how all of these extremely large people even fit on the rides?? I can't imagine what visitors from other countries must think of the States when their "snapshot" of Americans are XXXL people!!

I think the issue is more a case that smoking damages the health of the smoker and those who inhale the second hand smoke. Being in the presence of overweight people does not kill others. That is quite a difference.

Upvote 0

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member

Thats quite astounding. Every bench, every doorway and every path was blocked by a non medically obese person. When did you have a chance to smoke? I would think it would take up a whole lot of time asking each obese person if they were medically obese or not. As the famous wrestler Ron Simmons once stated...."Damn!"

Upvote 0

JPVonDrake

oy vey... people need to learn to read.. but not read into what's not there.

Even though there are many variables that could have led to this, it is ultimately the hotels fault because the hotel has defaulted on what has been agreed to at the time of booking.

And to further explain:

At the time you are making the reservation, you are told what is available. If only smoking rooms are available, you're stuck. You can request a non-smoking room, but the hotel is under no pressure to give you a non-smoking room.

If you reserve a nonsmoking room, and get a smoking room... you have every right to be upset and complain. However, if you reserve a smoking room in hopes of getting a nonsmoking room and get a smoking room... tough. You reserved a smoking room, and know the implications of that. The hotel is under no obligation to provide you with anything more than what you reserved. A request is just that, a request. You don't order a Burger at McDonalds and hope to get a happy meal. Just because you requested it doesn't make it available... either due to already having been sold, or plan nonexistance.

Unfortunately, it is much easier to turn a nonsmoking room into a smoking room than vice-versa.

And for the record, I am not a smoker.

Remember, one cannot "reserve" a non-smoking room or a smoking optional room, they can only request one or the other. As the room assignment is done by the Resort, not the Reservation Center, we can neither guarantee a non-smoking room, nor a smoking optional room. The only exception is some select room categories at our Resorts are all non-smoking or all smoking optional.

Upvote 0

davidpw97

You might consider yourself a considerate smoker, but I hope you don't consider yourself a considerate human being. I've had many more problems at WDW with STROLLER PUSHERS than I have had with oversized people of which I am one. And what is so wrong with being oversized anyway? Noone that I know of has ever died from second-hand obesity, however people like you have killed many. I believe that there are now more overweight people in this world than there are hungry people, so you better get used to those of us who might be XXXL because it is only getting worse, soon you won't be able to leave your house without running into one of us. Also it is not just an American problem, i'm guessing anyone who visits from other countries are well aware of the fact that obese people exist. There may even be people who's "snapshot" of Americans comes from reading what Americans have to say on boards like these and I think your intolerance of other people's personal situations says more about America and Americans than the size of our waistlines.

Upvote 0

mkt

Premium Member
Remember, one cannot "reserve" a non-smoking room or a smoking optional room, they can only request one or the other. As the room assignment is done by the Resort, not the Reservation Center, we can neither guarantee a non-smoking room, nor a smoking optional room. The only exception is some select room categories at our Resorts are all non-smoking or all smoking optional.
So I reserve the nonsmoking room category. Plain and simple. If the resort doesn't offer it, I go to another resort.

If no Disney resort offers it, I stay off-site. Disney likes to think they're the only game in town, but they aren't. In theme parks, yes... in the eyes of this website yes. But it's 2007, not 1971. There are other options for lodging, which many arel comparable or superior to Disney.

As much as I detest how Disney resorts do business, I have a sick admiration in that they protect themself from so much liability and heartache by essentially not guaranteeing anything EXCEPT a room.

Upvote 0

justducky78

If Disneyland can do it, why can't WDW?

--------------------------------------

02 Jun 2006 12:12 PM
Hotel Rooms-Smoking or Non-Smoking: The Choice Is No Longer Yours
by Michele Cheplic | More from this Blogger

When you make a hotel room reservation do you request a smoking or non-smoking room? Depending on where you book a room, that option may no longer exist. Two major hotel chains and hotels surrounding the "happiest place on Earth," have recently extinguished the option of lighting up indoors.

As of March 1, 2006, Disney's three California hotels, Disneyland Hotel, Disney's Paradise Pier Hotel and the Grand Californian are 100% smoke-free establishments. The Grand Californian had already been a non-smoking property since its opening in 2001, but you can now breathe easier at the other two hotels as well. Disney officials say the reason for the change is simple. In reservations booked from now until 2010 there were just 35 requests for smoking rooms. Guests will still be allowed to light up outside the hotel in designated areas.

Sponsors (article continues below)

Among the other major hotel groups clearing the air for guests is Westin Hotels, which went smoke-free at its 77 properties in the United States, Canada and the Caribbean in early 2006. Hyatt Hotels isn't going 100% non-smoking as Westin did earlier this year, but it is guaranteeing a smoke-free room to anyone who reserves one. As you know, when you book a hotel room you can state your preference for a smoking or non-smoking room, but you are never given a guarantee that your request will be granted. To that end, Hyatt is offering guests a $100 Hyatt gift card or 5,000 reward points if a non-smoking room isn't available upon check in. It's an effort made in good faith, but personally, I rather be guaranteed a non-smoking room. I have always been frustrated with the "you-can-request-a-non-smoking-room-but-it-doesn't-mean-you-will-get-it" policy that many hotels employ.

So where does the policy change leave guests who do smoke? In most cases, the hotels have designated "smoking" areas in and around their properties. While smokers deal with the growing trend of snuffing out smoking indoors, one New Orleans hotel is putting its own spin on the ban by catering to guests who want to kick their smoking habit. The International House boutique hotel has just announced a "kick the butts" promotion for smokers who want to quit (semi) cold turkey. For $259 a night, you will receive a quit-smoking CD; tip book, hard candies, stress ball and other aids. If that's not enough, for an extra $250 a hypnotherapist will come to your room to help squash your nicotine cravings.

Upvote 0

Ashitaka

So, by the same logic - If someone requests a room at the Wilderness Lodge with bunkbeds, and is in turn placed in a room without bunkbeds, then they are free to whip out a chainsaw, hammer and nails and turn it into one with bunkbeds? :p

Diane Hughes said:
Smoking issues aside, my biggest complaint about my last visit was the high number of obese people!! They were standing around, blocking every doorway, taking up every bench and blocking every path I was trying to steer my stroller around!! I guess I really noticed the high number of large behinds because as a stroller pusher, My vision was aimed waist high.
Hey JP- Is it possible to request a room in a wing that is non-smoking, non-obese, non-stoller pushing? 'Cuz I think that is what I want on my next trip. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
You might consider yourself a considerate smoker, but I hope you don't consider yourself a considerate human being. I've had many more problems at WDW with STROLLER PUSHERS than I have had with oversized people of which I am one. And what is so wrong with being oversized anyway? Noone that I know of has ever died from second-hand obesity, however people like you have killed many. I believe that there are now more overweight people in this world than there are hungry people, so you better get used to those of us who might be XXXL because it is only getting worse, soon you won't be able to leave your house without running into one of us. Also it is not just an American problem, i'm guessing anyone who visits from other countries are well aware of the fact that obese people exist. There may even be people who's "snapshot" of Americans comes from reading what Americans have to say on boards like these and I think your intolerance of other people's personal situations says more about America and Americans than the size of our waistlines.
:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

Upvote 0

csaribay

I'm very happy that those in the hospitality industry are starting to wake up.

Take for instance, all Marriott brand hotels and resorts worldwide are completely non-smoking facilities. As time goes forward, I imagine that this will become more a standard than an exception, and we should not have to worry about smokers smoking up the joint'. I empathize with those who smoke, but honestly, there is no need to subject others the effects of second hand smoke. Head outside to a designated area and light up.

Upvote 0

mkt

Premium Member
So, by the same logic - If someone requests a room at the Wilderness Lodge with bunkbeds, and is in turn placed in a room without bunkbeds, then they are free to whip out a chainsaw, hammer and nails and turn it into one with bunkbeds? :p

No. If they reserved it however, that is questionable.

Request = not guaranteed
Reserved = guaranteed

Upvote 0

hrmom26

I'm with you on this one. I say they put all the smokers in one building in every resort. This way they can stink up the entire building and leave us non smokers lungs to our selves.

the only problem with that is people very often don't respect others and you would have many more rude people smoking in non-smoking rooms if you tried to put them all in one hotel. i often wondered if a smoker doesn't realize it smells so bad when they smoke, because no offense but they smell real gross all the time. I've never smoked and when someone comes up to me who does i will often gag because of there smell.

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

Uh...no. The smoker has a right to complain up the chain of command until he/she is either given the type of room that he or she booked (and I was always under the impression that requesting smoking rooms was just that, a request, one that will try to be accomodated but can't be guaranteed), or a smoking room at another resort OR some other type of recompense for the inconvenience which would be up to the discretion of the resort's managment. Once anyone starts to complain that the room they're assigned is wrong-all-wrong and risks ruining the vacation, management will make some degree of effort to make the situation as right as possible. If every single smoking room is booked, and you're not getting what you want, talk to the manager, than talk to the manager's manager. Sooner or later, if they can't offer you a smoking room, they'll offer you a discount, some free dining, extra Fastpasses (so you'll have extra time to smoke) something to make you happy for not honoring your request, and so that you don't smoke in the room. (and I know you're not a smoker, I'm talking the hypothetical smoking "you").

Once a smoker lights up in a non-smoking room, situations like the OP's arise. The smoke gets into the ventilation and suddenly an entire section of rooms has become de facto "smoking rooms." The selfish decision of the smoker to show Disney who's boss possibly results in the dissatisfaction of all the other guests now forced to deal with the smell of secondhand smoke in their rooms as well. This is the act of a petulant child, not a grownup who can't walk the extra couple of yards necessary to find a smoking area. Kind of a "Your rights end where the rights of the public begin" or if you prefer "The needs of the many outweight the needs of the few or the one" kinda thing.

Upvote 0

hrcollectibles

Thats quite astounding. Every bench, every doorway and every path was blocked by a non medically obese person. When did you have a chance to smoke? I would think it would take up a whole lot of time asking each obese person if they were medically obese or not. As the famous wrestler Ron Simmons once stated...."Damn!"
:p lol... ahhh anytime someone get get a wrestling reference in a post.. it makes me smile.. Especially one of a Florida State Alum.....To quote another Wrestler.... Whooooo...
As a smoker trying to quit. I am a courtious smoker... I find the smoking areas and smoke either on the Balcony or outside. When someone pases by I put my Cig to the side and try to avoid hitting them in the face with smoke

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom