Smoking ban at Disneyland and Disney World thoughts..

Status
Not open for further replies.

celluloid

The comment I was addressing was to the point about not allowing lighters and e-cigs through security, which isn't feasible given that people don't have someplace to leave it outside of the park.

I personally think where they are is fine. They're close enough to the park entrance so most people will choose to use it instead of smoking wherever, but they're also easy enough to avoid.

The only one I think could be better is the one outside International Gateway. It's both cramped for smokers and in the way of a path (the smoke floats right to the bridge above), not to mention I used to like using that path when going back to BC to avoid climbing the bridge. It would be better if there were a dedicated area built for smokers off to the side, though I doubt that would happen.

Lockers is an option if a car is not wanted or available. They do this with other guest items all of the time.

Again, we are likely a decade from that kind of thing, but smoking is not what it used to be in numbers.
What the proposed situation would nearly guarantee is no vapes on property, which is a common abuse issue people use with the rule and have had lithium situations that others have brought up seeing snuck commonly and not enforced.

pigglewiggle

Our last visit, I didn't notice any smokers around the parks. I even looked in my old smoking sections. Seriously, I would know as I'm an ex-smoker for 11 years and I would smell it, instantly.

Just my observations.

celluloid

Our last visit, I didn't notice any smokers around the parks. I even looked in my old smoking sections. Seriously, I would know as I'm an ex-smoker for 11 years and I would smell it, instantly.

Just my observations.

For sure. The crazy part is in Tokyo, where the tobacco and smoking rate is high, you don't smell it in as many public places as most cities in the United States, and I did not see it once in the theme parks there where it has sections.
Saw it more in Osaka on a couple streets but really never on a main area where laws are likely enforced and never saw it at Universal there either.

Vapes are a nicotine product more than Tobacco, and either have added scents or little at all.

Ayla

Disclaimer: I have asthma; I am extremely anti-smoking, I believe smoking is a privilege, not a right. I also recognize that smoking is an addiction, one that is incredibly difficult to overcome.

The only issue is that most people in WDW aren't driving. So it's not as though they have someplace to leave their things when they do step out for a quick smoke. It's also punishing those who are following the rules because some people aren't.
Anyone under the age of 55 knowingly started that "addiction". Smoking is a choice and we all know the consequences.

NelleBelle

Agree that where the smoking section is located now is much preferable than smoking in the parking lot. I have asthma as well and I don’t need someone standing next to my car smoking either (rhetorical comment). Confiscating or banni g someone’s cigarettes/baling device, mat he’s or lighters is unrealistic. Those who smoke are allowed to exit the park to light up and there are designated smoking areas at the resorts. I hate smoking but understand why individuals do it. My brother smoked and would quit numerous times, often going long periods with smoking or vaping. He did it as a way of dealing with his anxiety disorder (certainly not the healthiest of ways). But if he wasn’t allowed to smoke in his vacation, he’d never leave the house!

celluloid

Agree that where the smoking section is located now is much preferable than smoking in the parking lot. I have asthma as well and I don’t need someone standing next to my car smoking either (rhetorical comment). Confiscating or banni g someone’s cigarettes/baling device, mat he’s or lighters is unrealistic. Those who smoke are allowed to exit the park to light up and there are designated smoking areas at the resorts. I hate smoking but understand why individuals do it. My brother smoked and would quit numerous times, often going long periods with smoking or vaping. He did it as a way of dealing with his anxiety disorder (certainly not the healthiest of ways). But if he wasn’t allowed to smoke in his vacation, he’d never leave the house!

Why is it realistic to not allow a monopod for a camera in but not a lighter?

SourcererMark79

In the Parks
No
I never understood the placement of the smoking locations inside the parks. As a smoker I would gladly walk a few hundred feet off the main walk to be away from n/s guests.

Some of my favorite conversations with guests took place in these areas!

lemon peeler

Having just spent time at Disney, I have to say that I did not see anyone smoking, however it was a different story at SeaWorld where it seems everyone was smoking.

celluloid

Having just spent time at Disney, I have to say that I did not see anyone smoking, however it was a different story at SeaWorld where it seems everyone was smoking.

Sea world has always had horrible placements for their smoking areas as well. Luckily the one under Journey to Atlantis I think is finally gone.

nickys

Premium Member
The smoking area could be central in the parking lots, which are less hazard and easier to clean up.

This keeps it out of the park, and keeps the central location provided similar to how it is now.

Lockers is an option if a car is not wanted or available. They do this with other guest items all of the time.

Lockers at MK at least are after security, Not sure about the other parks.

So that would mean onsite guests without cars would have to go back to their resort to smoke or vape. Treating their onsite guests worse than offsite might not go down well.

celluloid

Lockers at MK at least are after security, Not sure about the other parks.

Treating their onsite guests worse than offsite might not go down well.
They couldn't possibly change the way it is with separate locker area in designated smoking area?
Let's not act like things are locked in and never change.

To your second point, that has happened a lot. Everyone would have the same situation im this case. No one would have to go to their car to smoke? TTC would be a distance for sure but all the others cpild have a corner outside the plazas before parking that has people ensuring they are not bringing lighters or Vapes in the parks.
The car comment was where to keep unwelcome items, like selfie sticks, squirt guns and Star Wars blasters. If you want to have them to smoke, locker it is.

AndyS2992

Can’t say I’ve ever seen anyone smoking at Disney World, Disneyland Paris was a different story. Despite the designated smoking areas, the French smoke wherever they please, even in lines and CMs turn a blind eye. Fortunately it has gotten less and less with each trip however.

Last edited:

JoeCamel

Can’t say I’ve ever seen anyone smoking at Disney World, Disneyland Paris was a different story. Despite the designated smoking areas, the French smoke wherever they please, even in lines and CMs turn a blind eye. Fortunately it has gotten less and less with each trip however.
Sleepy Hollow to the castle path still reeks of smoke and it's been redone twice

Goofyernmost

Seriously, if you enforced or tried to enforce no smoking in France, the park would be empty. Other countries don't always just fall in line with what we might think is the "right thing to do". Europe is not North America.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom