Smoking areas GONE starting may 1st Pinned so people can still see the announcement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Castle Cake Apologist

I don’t, either. I’ve always seen it as a weak, follower type thing to do.

“But it’s cool.” Seriously?

I hate when I accidentally hire a smoker. Then we have to accommodate them with constant breaks while everyone else works.

I have no use or tolerance for it.

This seems like such a weird thing to say.

Like, do your employees not have regularly scheduled breaks? Seems to work just fine in millions of offices.

draybook

OK. You seriously believe fellow guests -- you know the people who have paid the same entry fee as you and yours -- should be inconvenienced, shunned etc. What sort of mixed up value system are you proposing in which a commercial entity should inconvenience or shun its customers?

Ok, so let's use your logic. Non-smokers and smokers pay the same price for entry. Smokers HAVE(about to be had) their own areas specifically for their habit. Now, they'll be on an even playing field in terms of having the same useable space and you're acting like they're having something taken away?

And this isn't the Scarlet Letter, nobody knows you're a smoker unless they peep you at the new smoking section. Even then, nobody cares.

Phil12

OK. You seriously believe fellow guests -- you know the people who have paid the same entry fee as you and yours -- should be inconvenienced, shunned etc. What sort of mixed up value system are you proposing in which a commercial entity should inconvenience or shun its customers?
The system Disney is now wisely imposing. And, they should have implemented this policy years ago.

Tony the Tigger

As a smoker I would agree with you 100% on both points. The smoke stink is real...but so is the stink of too much cologne.

Even worse: too much cologne trying to cover up the smoke stink!!

Some shaky ground, if you discriminate against hiring smokers...

29 states and the District of Columbia prohibit discrimination based on legal activities outside the workplace, which includes smoking tobacco.

About half smoke, so that's a non-starter.

Calmdownnow

[Q
Ok, so let's use your logic. Non-smokers and smokers pay the same price for entry. Smokers HAVE(about to be had) their own areas specifically for their habit. Now, they'll be on an even playing field in terms of having the same useable space and you're acting like they're having something taken away?

I don't think you understand logic. The removal of freedom from one group (smokers) does not validate the freedom of all to be free of smoke. It may actually, in logic terms, free smokers to smoke everywhere. If, of course, you are using the classical logical definition. But then you might have been using the term logic to mean "what I think is".

draybook

[Q

I don't think you understand logic. The removal of freedom from one group (smokers) does not validate the freedom of all to be free of smoke. It may actually, in logic terms, free smokers to smoke everywhere. If, of course, you are using the classical logical definition. But then you might have been using the term logic to mean "what I think is".

And I don't think you understand freedom. You don't have the freedom to determine what behavior is acceptable on private property. Smoking is not a right and if it interferes with other's lives then yes, it IS something that should be restricted if possible. Science shows us that secondhand smoke IS a real thing and impacts others.

You also don't understand the whole scenario of everyone paying the same price for the same thing. You can run around in circles all you want, but you're in way over your head with this one.

jklakeview

And you should know better than to have the attitude you do. Not everyone is you ;)

Apparently you weren't truly addicted ;) Do you get how that comes across?

It's always the ex smokers who are often the most harsh or judgemental towards someone. "Well I quit" ... and good for you on doing that! :)
I don’t want to judge anyone but I will share a personal experience. I have NEVER smoked nor would I. I think it’s disgusting all the way around but my father who was like my best friend growing up did. It would make me practically vomit when I was a kid. He smoked from about 14 until one day when he was in his late 30s. He was truly addicted. Anyway, his brother who was a drinker to the extreme and a nasty drunk at that was watching the super bowl with him at our house. They began to argue about something and my father told his alcoholic brother that he could quit smoking before he could quit drinking. Just like that he stopped - cold turkey. He would rather never smoke than lose an arguement with his brother. He replaced cigarettes with lollipops. Bottom line is honestly anyone can quit. You just have to find the situation that is more important than the cigarette. And let the record show, even though I’m very opinionated about smoking in the park and smokers in general, I have never told anyone in this discussion to “just quit” nor am I now. Just sharing a personal story

Calmdownnow

And I don't think you understand freedom. You don't have the freedom to determine what behavior is acceptable on private property. Smoking is not a right and if it interferes with other's lives then yes, it IS something that should be restricted if possible. Science shows us that secondhand smoke IS a real thing and impacts others.

But you have not shown that smoking in isolated designated smoking areas has any impact on other guests.

My questions to everyone on this thread are two-fold: 1) why would Disney, a commercial organization, want to put barriers in the way of some of its customers smoking in isolated designated smoking areas when smoking is legal; and 2) why would your view, as a customer, take preference above other customers?

draybook

But you have not shown that smoking in isolated designated smoking areas has any impact on other guests.

My questions to everyone on this thread are two-fold: 1) why would Disney, a commercial organization, want to put barriers in the way of some of its customers smoking in isolated designated smoking areas when smoking is legal; and 2) why would your view, as a customer, take preference above other customers?

I already told you that people are still smoking in areas RIGHT OFF OF THE WALKWAY. We're not talking about jungle treks, we're talking about being able to extend your arm and touch them.. This is Disney's decision. Suck it up and carry on. Either go to the parks and do without or walk out to the new spots. Or don't go, whatever. Your bad habit doesn't trump their right to set policies as they see fit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tanna Eros

Maybe it's part of the tiered experience business model.

VJ

i am now taking bets on how long it'll take for this thread to be moved to politics and social issues!

...then again, we're on page 47 and nothing yet...
...then again again, it's been two days...

oh well, place yer bets now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom