Smoking areas GONE starting may 1st Pinned so people can still see the announcement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony the Tigger

C68E64F3-CC43-49B9-8105-D59075231A92.jpeg

UncleMike101

But we do have restrictions and punishment Boarder. Well at least in pa, you drive drunk, it ain't pretty. And many states and municipalities are making stronger laws if you do kill someone while driving drunk.
All of the laws in existence, and any laws enacted in the future, are meaningless to those who choose to ignore them.
I spent the larger part of my adult life enforcing those laws and I can tell you that if a person wants to drive under the influence of alcohol, or some other substance, they will do so with zero regard for the consequences, feelings of others, or mayhem caused by their actions.
Alcohol is responsible for 88,000 or more deaths per year in the U.S. and that figure continues to rise.
Stronger laws are nothing more than a placebo that makes righteous people feel good.
Mankind is not hard wired to obey laws.
They must want to obey those laws in order for them to be effective.
Disney's smoking laws will only drive those determined to smoke to new levels of stealth to accomplish their desire to feed their addiction.

wdwjmp239

Starting May 1st, All smoking areas inside the parks will be removed. The only spots to smoke will be outside the parks. I wonder how this will work in epcot with everyone drinking around the countries.

It's going to suck if you're waiting 3 hours in line for Flight of Passage and you have the need to smoke. To the front of the park you go! Happy trails! #NotASmoker

DisneyGigi

Bet Disney is going to see an increase in gum use and snack purchases.
Gum yes... food not so much- most people crave a cigarette more after eating. I will avoid food or snacks if I cannot smoke after I eat. I don’t smoke very much either, but would like to be able to without exiting the park. I sent an email just now, but from a reply on Twitter asking whether or not cigarettes or vapes would be banned inside the park, the reply was this-

using them is prohibited, having them apparently is not. It is not on the listing prohibited items that the official Walt Disney World Twitter posted.

Paper straw fan

I don’t really smoke, I’ll have one as a sort of night cap at the end of a long week, or day at WDW, usually back at the resort. I get that not everywhere you put a designated smoker area (DSA) will be a spot non smokers can avoid- I’ve walked thru the winding paths at AK because that area is pretty, but I’m not going to walk thru there when it’s covered in smokers either.

It’d be nice if they could just find a spot behind a wall or divider in the parks so that people can still just duck out and have one without having to exit the park. And, I agree that if you outright ban it in the park, you’re just going to have groups stand right outside exits (where people will have more unavoidable encounters with smokers than they would in park DSA’s)

And unfortunately some people will, due to their addiction, have to keep leaving the parks to go to whatever outside the park DSA’s to go smoke, which in turn will kind of screw up the day of whomever is with them.

It’s one thing to have to walk right thru a smoking area as a non smoker. That sucks. Even as an extremely light smoker I hate walking thru it. It’s another thing to just catch a whiff of smoke and flip out like some people do.

“Ugh, smokers! This is outrageous I have CHILDREN! - oh hey, let’s go wait an hour to ride at Tomorrowland Speedway!”

If they outright ban smoking everywhere is exactly when you’ll be getting people lighting up on ferry boats, bathrooms, next to your car in the parking lot, outside your resort hotel room, etc, and you’ll wish they were back in their little sections in the park.

Patcheslee

Gum yes... food not so much- most people crave a cigarette more after eating. I will avoid food or snacks if I cannot smoke after I eat. I don’t smoke very much either, but would like to be able to without exiting the park. I sent an email just now, but from a reply on Twitter asking whether or not cigarettes or vapes would be banned inside the park, the reply was this-
View attachment 359770

using them is prohibited, having them apparently is not. It is not on the listing prohibited items that the official Walt Disney World Twitter posted.
I ate more when I attempted to quit because the smoking is an appetite suppressant.

DisneyGigi

I ate more when I attempted to quit because the smoking is an appetite suppressant.
That it is, but if you are not quitting and only having to not crave a cigarette as much while at a theme park- don’t eat as much and you won’t have that longing for an after snack -meal smoke. Anytime I have quit I actually lose weight, because I am terrified of gaining weight. 😂

dreamfinder912

I think it'd be much easier from an enforcement standpoint to just...not let cigarettes and e-cigs IN. Granted that would require a security team that did more than jostle your belongings a bit and shoo you in, but it would keep the burden off the lone CM trying to get someone to stop smoking.

jaklgreen

One thing I'm genuinely curious about. All these people so adverse to those foul smoking heathen and their stench when "walking past smoking areas..."
  1. You know the smoking areas are there, why get so close, and
  2. How are you even getting so close when they're tucked away?
Okay, granted - some spots like Norway are a little close to the path, subject to wind direction, yada yada. I'm talking about the FL/TL walkway. The hidden trail in AK. Heck, even at AKL the smoking area is outside of the front door, way off to the side and hidden behind foliage.

I submit, that if you're smelling smoke from these locations... You have no business being there in the first place. But that's none of my business. <insert tea-sipping frog>

The trail in AK you can not only smell the smoke on the walkway, but also sitting in the Harambe Market eating. Smoke does not just stay in the area where people are. I had no idea that there was a smoking path back there because you can not see it until I kept smelling the smoke walking by and checked the map. This is just walking the path from Africa to Asia. And I could always smell the smoke while in the People Mover(one of my favorite rides) from when they had the smoking area by SM and from the walkway. Some people can't smell anything to save their lives, but I can smell very well, which is a curse.

Scrooged

Enforcement on this will be incredibly difficult, but it is a great move for those of us who don’t smoke. I also hope that e-cigarettes count as smoking for Disney.
That was going to be my question- does this extend to e-cigs. I’m tired of the “do you even vape, bro?” people in lines. I love your smoke tricks.. that’s real nice- but I didn’t pay to stand in a line that smells like a fruit flavored smog machine.

jaklgreen

We're looking at this policy from the POV of guests and visitors because that's what most of us are at WDW, guests and visitors.

I'd hazard a guess this could be more of a thing employees requested. Or demanded.

Most of us have indoor jobs where smoking is not allowed anywhere. At my job in NYC not only can you not smoke in the office you have to be a minimal distance away from entranceways when you go outside and smoke, a policy many people skirt because they want to try to be close to the rush of heat seeping out in the winter and AC seeping out in the summer.

But I'll bet many cast members who work in the parks complained that they had to be exposed to second hand smoke as part of their job, and whether WDW wanted to actually treat their employees with dignity (it could happen) OR they just didn't want to deal with a future lawsuit when a worker who doesn't smoke somehow gets lung cancer that could be tied, even in a small part, to a frequent exposure to second hand smoke, they made a decision to accommodate a smoke-free environment for their employees.

I'd wager eventually the entire resort complex will become smoke-free as is the company's right as the owner of the property. Don't know if DVC members would be able to make a stink (heh) regarding their temporary claim as owners, if enough of them say "I want a portion of my maintenance fees to go to maintaining smoking areas" to skirt the policy. Also don't know if enough DVC owners would want it that it would make a difference. Maybe one day there will be a DVC resort just for smokers, it'll be the only place on property where anyone can smoke and the lounge will go by the name of "Wheezy's" and there will be a backstory of an eighth dwarf no one ever saw because when Snow White came upon the dwarf's cottage he was in the hospital getting part of his lung removed.

That is a very good point. No one should be subjected to smoke while on the job.

BoarderPhreak

I think it'd be much easier from an enforcement standpoint to just...not let cigarettes and e-cigs IN. Granted that would require a security team that did more than jostle your belongings a bit and shoo you in, but it would keep the burden off the lone CM trying to get someone to stop smoking.
Being that neither of those are illegal, or a safety issue (with additional legalities) like guns and knives - there's no legal basis for confiscating them. Can they not let you into the park? Sure. But why have an area outside of the park to smoke at all, then? And what about people staying at resorts on property - or worse, off-property? Will lockers be provided outside of the parks? No, none of that will work. More importantly, these people won't be in the parks, spending money.

It's going to be up to the $15/hour worker. 🤷‍♂️

Yert3

This is so ridiculous. Obviously non-smokers came up with this ban. I don’t see what the problem is with having one smoking section. Or how about build a separate secluded indoor room like they have at airports. So I am seriously going to have to leave the park every time I go for a smoke break? Ugh.

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

All personal opinion - I'm not necessarily right, no one else is necessarily wrong.....

Arguing with Disney rarely works. May 1, 2019? No DSA's. Oh yes, I DO smoke.
There are likely two solutions:

1. Don't go.
  2. Something few people know exist :). A Nicotine Inhaler. Not a Cig, not an ECig, no smoke, no vapor...
https://quicknicmist.com/product/quick-nic-mist/

We've known for YEARS that WDW was going down this path, as they reduced DSA's from 12 to 2 in the MK.
Their announcement is their prerogative - but it is HIGHLY ill-timed. Just coming clean a year in advance of the policy change, instead of (roughly) 30 days, would have allowed people to CHOOSE to go to WDW, or not. Instead? People already booked were denied a choice.

Again, All personal opinion - I'm not necessarily right, no one else is necessarily wrong.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom