Smoking areas GONE starting may 1st Pinned so people can still see the announcement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eliza61nyc

Wait...isn't crack a smoked drug? Also, there are more and more illegal drugs becoming popular that affect the user so much that people are being attacked by drug users. So smoking is far from the only addiction that harms people other than the user.
Crack can be smoked or injected. Lol crack heads robbing people are no where a blip on the statistical kill list.
And that's just in the US. Smoking related deaths is becoming a global issue now.

My company implemented a surcharge on smokers Insurance premiums. Those that don't smoke and get bloodwork get a 18% discount. Smokers also do not get the HSA bonus the company gives.
It's a nasty expensive addiction.

Last edited:

Patcheslee

Thank you for your story and honesty. I really am curious as to why people even start.
I grew up with a dad that smoked and done alot of other things. So by 13 I was already smoking and it was nothing to bum one from him. Honestly the fact that I haven't done hard drugs is more an amazement. So while ppl ask why I smoke I just tell them with the way I grew up if this is the worst thing I do I'm ahead.

aliceismad

Ahem, alcohol WAS banned. It was called Prohibition. Which is why we will never see cigarette smoking made illegal.
I meant in Disney. (Because they're adding or have recently added alcohol to Disneyland and Magic Kingdom. Which is the opposite of what they're doing with smoking. ) But your point still stands.

BoarderPhreak

This is #FloriDUH... There are bath salt ZOMBIES here, man. People hanging from traffic lights defecating on motorists below. 😲

I'll take the secondhand smoke for $200, Alex. 🤣

The difference, at least to me is that cigarette smoking is the one addiction that not only kills the addict but also the person around them. Second hand smoke has been proven just as bad.
If someone has an addictive personality and snorts crack or shoots up, it kills them.
If someone smokes and im inhaling their toxic smoke it harms me.

Alcohol in moderation can actually be good for you. There is no amount of tar and nicotine that is good for you.
With all due respect, I get where you were going. But consider that a drunk driver can kill themselves and a family of four in the opposing lane should mean that we ban alcohol. It was a little before my time, but I've heard a few things about the last time this happened.

tissandtully

One thing I'm genuinely curious about. All these people so adverse to those foul smoking heathen and their stench when "walking past smoking areas..."
  1. You know the smoking areas are there, why get so close, and
  2. How are you even getting so close when they're tucked away?
Okay, granted - some spots like Norway are a little close to the path, subject to wind direction, yada yada. I'm talking about the FL/TL walkway. The hidden trail in AK. Heck, even at AKL the smoking area is outside of the front door, way off to the side and hidden behind foliage.

I submit, that if you're smelling smoke from these locations... You have no business being there in the first place. But that's none of my business. <insert tea-sipping frog>
Well, before Tron construction started, there was a really nice path between Tomorrowland and Storybook Circus, but in the middle was the smokers den, It kinda sucked.

eliza61nyc

This is #FloriDUH... There are bath salt ZOMBIES here, man. People hanging from traffic lights defecating on motorists below. 😲

I'll take the secondhand smoke for $200, Alex. 🤣

With all due respect, I get where you were going. But consider that a drunk driver can kill themselves and a family of four in the opposing lane should mean that we ban alcohol. It was a little before my time, but I've heard a few things about the last time this happened.
But we do have restrictions and punishment Boarder. Well at least in pa, you drive drunk, it ain't pretty. And many states and municipalities are making stronger laws if you do kill someone while driving drunk.

BoarderPhreak

Well, before Tron construction started, there was a really nice path between Tomorrowland and Storybook Circus, but in the middle was the smokers den, It kinda sucked.
Right - what I referred to as "the FL/TL walkway" - which is a smoking area. Knowing that, why "go down that path" as they say?

But we do have restrictions and punishment Boarder. Well at least in pa, you drive drunk, it ain't pretty. And many states and municipalities are making stronger laws if you do kill someone while driving drunk.
Fair enough. Smoking where it's banned can subject you to fines. As can littering. There is crime and punishment to go around. Both also incur health-related costs.

slappy magoo

I totally get what you are saying. On the flip side of things is that you have a right to smoke, that is the choice that you made, that is fine. But others do not want YOUR choice visited on them. That is all people are saying, is that you made that choice to smoke, others did not and should not be subjected to your smoke. I don't see that as unreasonable. It think it gets heated when smokers get offended that others do not want to be around their smoke and seeing it as a personal attack. Plus those that are very blatant about how "it is my right to smoke and I will do it wherever I want" kind of attitude. Like I said, if it was a pill you were taking and it did not affect others, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

We're looking at this policy from the POV of guests and visitors because that's what most of us are at WDW, guests and visitors.

I'd hazard a guess this could be more of a thing employees requested. Or demanded.

Most of us have indoor jobs where smoking is not allowed anywhere. At my job in NYC not only can you not smoke in the office you have to be a minimal distance away from entranceways when you go outside and smoke, a policy many people skirt because they want to try to be close to the rush of heat seeping out in the winter and AC seeping out in the summer.

But I'll bet many cast members who work in the parks complained that they had to be exposed to second hand smoke as part of their job, and whether WDW wanted to actually treat their employees with dignity (it could happen) OR they just didn't want to deal with a future lawsuit when a worker who doesn't smoke somehow gets lung cancer that could be tied, even in a small part, to a frequent exposure to second hand smoke, they made a decision to accommodate a smoke-free environment for their employees.

I'd wager eventually the entire resort complex will become smoke-free as is the company's right as the owner of the property. Don't know if DVC members would be able to make a stink (heh) regarding their temporary claim as owners, if enough of them say "I want a portion of my maintenance fees to go to maintaining smoking areas" to skirt the policy. Also don't know if enough DVC owners would want it that it would make a difference. Maybe one day there will be a DVC resort just for smokers, it'll be the only place on property where anyone can smoke and the lounge will go by the name of "Wheezy's" and there will be a backstory of an eighth dwarf no one ever saw because when Snow White came upon the dwarf's cottage he was in the hospital getting part of his lung removed.

ImperfectPixie

Right - what I referred to as "the FL/TL walkway" - which is a smoking area. Knowing that, why "go down that path" as they say?
That was actually a nice, very little-used, out-of-other-people's way spot to smoke without bothering anyone before people realized it was there.

Tanna Eros

Question: if you don't have a park-hopper ticket would you have to repay to get back in after going out for a cigarette?
Good question. I was wondering that, myself.

(One memory keeps standing out from my childhood while reading these posts.
My dad worked on Tom Sawyer's Island, and I'm sorry to all you people that pay for tickets, we got a trip to see it.
Something about the caves set off my asthma, and this was 1976, and my dad and found a bench, he lit a cigarette and handed it to me.
Some fellow asked, "Aren't you a little young?" I shook my head 'no', and my dad explained the asthma and he walked away. Now I look back, and see what a Tom Sawyer thing it was for me to do, be 13 and sitting on a bench, smoking.)

eliza61nyc

Fair enough. Smoking where it's banned can subject you to fines. As can littering. There is crime and punishment to go around. Both also incur health-related costs.
and truthfully I don't think it's going to make a whole heck of a lot of difference. I think pretty much anyone who decides to smoke will simply be told, hopefully politely that smoking is no longer allowed in the parks. I don't think it will cause boat loads of smokers to stop going to wdw.

Smokers today already are felling the pinch so I doubt it would faze them

ImperfectPixie

You're thinking of bath salts (the aforementioned zombie). With Krokodil, your face rots off by itself. 🤣
HA! Thanks. I read so much I get stuff mixed up often. :hilarious:

EDIT: And don't even try to talk to me if I'm reading or typing...my brain can't process language in two forms at once, so you'll just end up getting a blank stare.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom