smokers

SilentRascal

Account Suspended
Personally I think smokers should be burnt at the stake...but thinking about it, they're already doing it to themselves, from the inside out. Disney should do away completely with designated smoking areas as there's simply almost no way that non-smokers won't be affected.

TURKEY

Like I said before, I am not a smoker, but am respectful of those smoking in a DESIGNATED AREA.

If Disney bans all smoking, then they better ban all fireworks and other effects that cause smoke. That smoke bothers me as well.

MrPromey

Originally posted by MobileBadBoy

As I previously said, I visit the smoking areas. Always. In fact, I usually go out of my way to find one, due to respect of those who don't smoke. But I guess it's a one-sided respect thing.

Anyway, I'm not going to debate about it. I've had this conversation too many times before, and it goes nowhere.

Hmm... Respect a person for sticking a lit piece of paper in their mouth and willfully inhaling toxic gasses?.. Let me guess - you also walk around with a big red plastic nose on, don't you?

Oh, I'm sorry. Did you mean respect your right to put that lit piece of paper in your mouth and inhale it's toxic gasses? Well that's another story altogether. I don't respect your right to do that but if you want me to, swear on everything that is sacred to you - swear on the life of your loved one or child that you will NEVER make me pay for your habit. Swear to me that in 20 years when you have any of the dozens of smoking related illness that I will not end up paying any part of the hundreds of thousands of dollars or millions of dollars for your treatment. Swear that you will pay 100% of all treatment expense out of your own pocket and that if you can't afford to, you will insist that the doctors allow you to die a slow agonizing death so that I don't have to pay a penny in taxes or in raised insurance premiums to cover what you don't pay for. If you do that, and stick to the designated smoking areas I will not only respect your decision to kill yourself in one of the slowest and most painful ways known to man but I will champion it. In fact, if more people took that route, we would possibly kill two birds with one stone. Not only would medical expenses go down worldwide, we would also get a little help with that whole overpopulation thing :)

I know I'm probably going to make a few enemies over this but smokers always get so upset and act like they are being persecuted. Well maybe it's because you have a nasty, filthy, disgusting habit that kills you, kills the people around you and costs people that don't smoke billions of dollars each year. If Disney banned smoking in all of the parks it wouldn't be like putting a sign up saying "Smokers Not Welcome". You could still go into the parks. Come on, you can go through an enjoyable day without taking a puff, can't you?.. Or should Disney also offer Methadone clinics so that people with other drug addictions can have a nice enjoyable day in the parks as well?

NowInc

I am the only one of my friends who DOESNT smoke....I have nothing against it...as long as its done in its proper place.

As an ex smoker, I know how hard it is to quit, and i DONT expect someone to "stop" as soon as they enter the gates of WDW....

MrPromey

And yet nobody who smokes seems to see a problem with not being able to spend an enjoyable eight hours awake without smoking....

And just so that none of you get the wrong idea about where I'm coming from let me explain myself: I watched my grandfather come home from the hospital to die when I was five years old. His skin hung loosely around his bones and he could not breath without the aid of a machine. The kemo therapy had robbed him of all his hair. I watched my mother hold a cigarette to his mouth because the doctors said that there wasn't anything that could be done and that he should just be made comfortable... Four years later they found cancer cells in my grandmother's lungs. She had never been a smoker but had been married to my grandfather who had been smoking for nearly fifty years. Six months later she died of heart disease with complications that the doctors believed could have been linked to second hand cigarette smoke (incidentally, this was before the idea of second hand smoke had become much of a public issue)... You might think that this would have been enough to get my mother to quit but she kept on going for about another five years before she stoped... then another 3 before she stoped again... then another two... and finally another two before she stoped with the help of prescription drugs. Today she is suffering from the early stages of emphysema and can no longer walk up a flight of stairs without having to stop to catch her breath at the top and the doctors say it's almost certainly because she was a smoker. She isn't even 50 yet. Even though they have told her that it could have been damage that was done years ago when she did smoke catching up to her, she still insists that she felt better and was able to do more back when she smoked... I have nothing against smokers themselves. In fact, some of the people that I have loved most in my life have been smokers. You people go through life doing this and get angry with everyone who tries to tell you to stop. You go on about how it's your right and why doesn't everyone leave you alone, then you roll over in bed one day and say "why me?". You sit there and ask how this could have happened. You say if only you hand known how bad it would be, how much it could hurt and how miserable every day feels, you would never have done this to yourself. You're like teenagers who think "that could never happen to me" and THAT is exactly why this kind of conversation "goes nowhere". For that I am sad :(

castlecake

Thank you Mr. P,

I do not enjoy waiting in lines and have people smoking around me, it makes me sick to my stoumache, my eyes water, and gives me a head ache. A blind man could find the designated smoking areas in WDW, they have a stench, that could be smelled from a distance. You wouln't eat rat poisining, or tar but you will pay money to buy it wrapped up in paper and smoke it. I am glad the Goverment of Canada requires that at leat half of a cigerrette box has to show graphic pictures of rotting teeth and lungs and a warning such as: " each year more Canadians die from smoking then car crashes, murders fires and diseases combined" Maybe the USA will follow our lead. I will only respect smokers when they smoke in their own home so I dont have to put up with it in public areas. OKay, I will step off my soap box now:eek:

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
MrP,

I liked your posts...

1st let me say, the people who sue big tabacco...(as opposed to little tabacco?...LOL) Are idiots!..."yeah...I knew these things were bad for me...but I'm dumb and need money!"...

I respect those who do not smoke... I live with non-smokers, and I take it outside away from the house.... I even plan on renting my own house next month....and I do not want to smoke in it..... I hate smoking in resturants...food and smoke do not mix...and I hate it around me when I am eating ....as I am sure most of you do...but when in a bar...that is diffrent...

I watched my grandfather die this past august because of his smoking...not fun....the person who was more of a father to me than my own father..I watched him die...They told me there was nothing more they could do....and that was it....you think I would of quit by now....but I use my job and the massive amount of stress that comes with it as my crutch....its not that I am a weak person...but working in any news room type atmosphere for any amount of time...one needs an escape...and that is mine...it become a ritual...the buying...the packing of them...the holding and the lighting... its relaxes me....
I know this is not highly logical...but it works for me...in my mind...

I will quit eventully.... Have you seen the prices of these things....yikes....I could spend more money on WDW trips with the money I am spending....;)

I can however go 8hrs w/o a smoke...and I do...quite often...
I do not go out of my way...and I try quite hard not to smoke around others...other than those who are smokers. I have and do respect the non-smoking population....and there rights....to want to breath and live..

I will shut up now...
Take Care

DisneyPhD

:sohappy:
Bravo Mr. P. Well said. I know you might have made a few enemies for taking a stand on this, but then again, maybe you just made some friends. I respect what you said, and for sharing your experience with us. I am sorry you lost so many loved ones to the effects of smoking. That is what I was talking about when I said no amount of consideration can shield the inocent from the effects of smoking. You made the point more clearly then I ever could. Thank you.

Belle13

I am right there with you MrP. The group on this board is taking this far better than other boards that I have visited. Having watched my grandfather die from smoking, and having taken care of patients dying of any number of smoke related illnesses, you can bet I hate smoking.

All I have to do is visit the pediatric ward in any hospital and watch those kids with Cystic Fibrosis or premmies who have suffered due to respiratory distress syndrome who have machines breathing for them from the time they are born, until they finally die...too early, try to breathe, who will never know what it is to have healthy lungs, and think how arrogant of the smokers are to take the healthy lungs that God choose to give them and ruin them with smoke. So before you even think of lighting up, think of someone else...the spouse, kids, parents, friends and strangers who are paying in more ways than one for your habit, for those who, due to no fault of their own, don't have healthy lungs and would love to...just to live a normal life...for those you will leave behind when you die that untimely death.

Just think about it...is it really worth it?

Scooter

I smoked for 27 years.

It's a funny thing smoking...it's ill effects are accumulative.
When you are young and stupid, you wanna be COOL like all the other kids that smoke...so you start...and you think you're COOL.:cool:

Then a funny thing happens when you get to be middle aged.

You notice that you're huffing and puffing when you get to the top of a flight of stairs...you can't run as fast or jump as high as you used to. That ISN'T cool.

Then you try to quit smoking...but you can't.

You are addicted.
So you smoke..and you smoke..and you smoke some more.

Then you start coughing...and that aint Cool.

At this point..if you continue to smoke...you DIE

and that REALLY aint cool.

I finally quit smoking after waking up every night and coughing until I turned blue. That was 5 years ago and I can tell you this. I aint NEVER EVER touching another cigarette again...and THAT, my friends, IS COOL.:cool:

Coronado

I think there should be separate areas for people who eat burito's and beans!.....And a separate line for those obese waddlers who take up too much space in the regular line. And while we are at it.....a no stroler, no wheel chair, and definitely no motorized chair sections.....Ban all Brazilian teens from any park that has a ride in it....and finally...a no corporate credit card luxury hotel for those who actually take money out of their own pocket to stay in the place! Smokers.......please quit.....but if you can't..... put your butts out in those whiners ears!:mad:

DisneyPhD

Originally posted by Scooter
I smoked for 27 years.

I finally quit smoking after waking up every night and coughing until I turned blue. That was 5 years ago and I can tell you this. I aint NEVER EVER touching another cigarette again...and THAT, my friends, IS COOL.:cool:

Scotter,

GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

So Cool.

SilentRascal

Account Suspended
Smokers should be burnt at the stake. Or, at the very least, be forced to suck on the tailpipe of a city bus. See how they like the smoke then.

Scooter

This is gonna shock Ya'll....

After having said what I said earlier on this post, that I have not smoked in 5 years, and that I think starting smoking is one of the DUMBEST things I have ever done, I believe that as long as buying and smoking cigarettes is LEGAL, then smokers should have the the right to smoke.

If the Federal Government decides to quit allowing cigarettes to be sold, then, and only then should smoking be totally banned.

If a smoker can purchase a pack of cigarettes at the sundry shop at his or her Resort hotel, or buy cigars at Sosa's Cigar Shop in Downtown Disney, then they most certainly should have the right to smoke them there.

Non-smokers could be a little more tolerant and understanding of the addiction that is associated with smoking.

Now having said that, I also believe that ALL smoking facilities should all contain ventilation fans that suck and filter the smoke up and away from non smokers. They should also contain catalytic converters so it doesn't polute the air...Sound expensive and unreasonable? I'm sure it IS...but if the Government wants the revenue from cigarette taxes, then they should be responsible for insuring non-smokers safety...or make smoking illegal...one or the other.

SilentRascal

Account Suspended
Originally posted by Scooter

Non-smokers could be a little more tolerant and understanding of the addiction that is associated with smoking.

Since it's utter stupidity that leads a person to start smoking in the first place, non-smokers don't need to be tolerant. Why tolerate stupidity?

The Mom

Premium Member
Originally posted by Coronado
I think there should be separate areas for people who eat burito's and beans!.....And a separate line for those obese waddlers who take up too much space in the regular line. And while we are at it.....a no stroler, no wheel chair, and definitely no motorized chair sections.....Ban all Brazilian teens from any park that has a ride in it....and finally...a no corporate credit card luxury hotel for those who actually take money out of their own pocket to stay in the place! Smokers.......please quit.....but if you can't..... put your butts out in those whiners ears!:mad:

Any and/or all of the aforementioned people might be annoying, but none of them are doing something that might threaten MY health! That said, if smokers must smoke, (and I was also one of them, a lifetime ago) please give ME fair warning by having designated areas. Then I can also make a choice whether to subject myself to their smoke, or not.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom