Skyway's return?

Tim G

sseguin613 said:
Could this actually happen? I mean the monorail in Disneyland california, goes through Tomrrowland near the Matterhorn or something right? I'm not too familiar with it myself. What do you people think?
I think... I was asked for just being here, if I would be here to think, I wouldn't be here... :lookaroun (I think)

BrittanyRose428

GarryandLindy said:
Where would they put the strollers?
i think thats why it closed in the first place, i coul be wrong but i think it closed because it was difficult for people in wheel chairs and strollers because theyd either have to make a round trip, or somehow get the wheelchair and stroller to the other side of the park...

TinkerBelle8878

The lines were always insane for the Skyway as much as I liked it. Why not extend the TTA to Fantasyland instead? Use those empty roofs for something.:D

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
dxer07002 said:
Ok, let's start a new CORRUS SAID YOU NEVER KNOW SO THAT MUST MEAN MONORAIL EXPANSION IS HAPPENING thread....

Corrus said the Monorail`s being extended? Hey, Keith, did you here the monorails being extended for certain??!.....

WOW, Marni! Let me tell Ed......

Here we go.... :lol:

disnyfan89

Original Poster
KevinPage said:
I think the blue hair coloring seeped into your brain :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: well there is a topic I haven't heard in awile!

Just to refresh everyone! I never said it was coming back. I only wanted to know if anyone had heard this as well and what was going on in those buildings

Bluewaves

LIke all unused spaces in all places its being used for storage of various things, most likely bathroom supplies like toilet paper, deorderizer, toilet bowl cleaner and mops brooms and other such stuff.

jmvd20

nelsonj3 said:
There's also the "small" issue of the fact that the supports for the cables are all completely gone, and even the places where they stood throughout Fantasyland and elsewhere have been covered over.

Sorry but you are mistaken. The towers, cables, and supports all remain completely intact and in their original locations. They have been painted with invisibility paint because it was cheaper than complete demolition of the structures.

Still don't beleive me, well just try a batch for yourself.

http://www.mud.co.uk/richard/sbos18.htm

NO NO NO NO NO...ALL Of you are way off. I know whats really going on in the skyway buildings :D ...Disney has been working on this for quite along time, Walt wanted to unvail it at Epcot when it opened but they couldn't perfect it in time so alas the Imagineers have been working with it and and puting in overtime work and hiding in secret during the Eisner era to finish it, now that Iger has taken over it can be unvailed to the world. What might you ask is so Amazing and special that it would take two buildings to complete and all those top secret years of planing and overtime? Well its not just in the two skyway buildings, It's in a bunch of buildings all over the Disney Empire .......(drum Roll PLEASE) ................................................................................................. ............ It's the First TRANSPORTERS in the world..... They will first be used to transport the winner of the Grand Marshal for all the Parades at every Disney park, So Disney can save on all the air fair around the world. Rumor has it they have some fancy name for it too like "Super Molecular Atom Spliting FastPass"

jedimaster1227

disnyfan89 said:
So I was at MK Friday with a friend. While on the TTA we started talking about the skyway. My friend said she was recently talking to an Imagineer and the Imagineer said they where thinking about returning the Skyway. During this I was of course thinking "ya right! Im sure they are. Not!" But then we came out of Space Mountain and I looked over at the skyway building and there was an open door. Inside the lights where on and you could clearly see the buckets. Then later on we where walking in Fantasyland and there in the cottage the lights where on and a bucket was also out! I didn't have my camra on me at the time so I have no pics. Has anyone else heard anything?

Somebody had come on this forum a couple of months ago with a scanned blueprint of a new skyway car straight from WDI's latest. The car would actually change theme when transferring between Fantasyland and Tomorrowland.

Even though these came out, I highy doubt that they will make a new sky way when they removed it for a pretty good reason. If you are really in need of seeing the last skyway in Florida, go to Busch Gardens Tampa. I felt alot of nostalgia when riding their skyway.

NO NO NO NO NO...ALL Of you are way off. I know whats really going on in the skyway buildings ...Disney has been working on this for quite along time, Walt wanted to unvail it at Epcot when it opened but they couldn't perfect it in time so alas the Imagineers have been working with it and and puting in overtime work and hiding in secret during the Eisner era to finish it, now that Iger has taken over it can be unvailed to the world. What might you ask is so Amazing and special that it would take two buildings to complete and all those top secret years of planing and overtime? Well its not just in the two skyway buildings, It's in a bunch of buildings all over the Disney Empire .......(drum Roll PLEASE) .................................................. ............................................... ............ It's the First TRANSPORTERS in the world..... They will first be used to transport the winner of the Grand Marshal for all the Parades at every Disney park, So Disney can save on all the air fair around the world. Rumor has it they have some fancy name for it too like "Super Molecular Atom Spliting FastPass"

Will this one be sponsered by X-S Tech too? Skippy can fly with you! Yah!!!

jedimaster1227 said:
Somebody had come on this forum a couple of months ago with a scanned blueprint of a new skyway car straight from WDI's latest. The car would actually change theme when transferring between Fantasyland and Tomorrowland.

Even though these came out, I highy doubt that they will make a new sky way when they removed it for a pretty good reason. If you are really in need of seeing the last skyway in Florida, go to Busch Gardens Tampa. I felt alot of nostalgia when riding their skyway.

If you are here during the florida state fair then you can ride their skyride there but during the rest of the year its just sits and rusts.

jedimaster1227 said:
Will this one be sponsered by X-S Tech too? Skippy can fly with you! Yah!!!

Yep X-S Tech is going to be part of this and Skippy will fly with the first family.

8<:-)

Its not returning.
Besides, it was an eyesore and you could see too much backstage.
Just walk...it's not 'that' far.:rolleyes:

-thedisneycast

CSUFSteve

dxer07002 said:
Yes.. this is part of the monorail expansion for WDW... :zipit:

Haha, now THAT would be interesting! I'd ride that monorail - as long as it would still be free for resort guests and, well, they'd have to speed it up beyond "a comfortable 35 mph".

Por favor mantenganse allejado de las puertas!

CSUFSteve

Oh, somebody mentioned CA monorail expansion... it's unlikely but the possibility remains open. Aside from the new monorail cars we're about to get, Disney every now and then comes back to look at the Monorail and costs.

Grand Californian does have an area that could be converted for use as a monorail station. That would be the most likely scenario if they ever did something. Original WestCOT plans called for a re-routed monorail track (re-using the existing track) that would no longer have stopped in Tomorrowland. It would have stopped at the Esplanade between both parks as well as a Hotel District South stop (near Paradise Pier, between it and DL Hotel) and another one further north where the "Magic Kingdom Hotel" was to have been. Incidentally, the Magic Kingdom Hotel eventually got built at Hong Kong Disneyland instead.

At this point, it's very unlikely any elements from the WestCOT plan would be implemented due to a) cost and b) what would now be heavy disruption to in-use guest areas. But parking areas north of DL Hotel are still earmarked for future hotel expansion and areas south of Downtown Disney are still earmarked for Downtown Disney expansion. There's actually a lot that still can be done at the Disneyland Resort when financial and market conditions improve for such things.

There was wild talk during the WestCOT days that we'd get Florida's Monorails and Florida would get never "driverless" cars similar to what Tokyo eventually got. I don't know how true that really ever was since our cars and tracks are entirely different. We'd completely have to replace all of our beams to get Florida's cars. I can't imagine Disney would go that expense. I'd imagine that Florida's track is not compatible with Tokyo's cars either, although maybe the design was different at the time.

Anyway, in short, possibly, in the future, Grand Californian would be adapted. Very unlikely, but not impossible, if we ever build a hotel north of DL Hotel, maybe another station there. That'd be about it.

I don't think we'd have business case for being able to charge for the Monorail like Florida can. Like someone said, ours, even though a more viable "transporation" system nowadays, is still really an attraction for most people.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom