Skyway Station Area Redesign

eilie

I know someone was wondering whether there would be one earlier in this thread, but looking closer at the plans I'll bet that this is a Companion Restroom:

restrooms.jpg

And for those who need it, I'm sure it'll be a welcome addition to the area. Right now, the closest Companion Restrooms are inside the Castle (and it may even be within CRT, the info I found isn't totally clear) or over by Splash or Pirates.

-Rob

Nice catch! I think that's definitely what that is. The sink would be in the lower alcove and the toilet off to the left, backing up to the plumbing wall (the long narrow space for plumbing fixtures).

eilie

What I want to know is what the room on the otherside of the men's room is, back behind the stairs. :shrug:

Hmm, good question. I suspect that the room behind the women's room is a mechanical room, as that light rectangle is likely some piece of HVAC equipment. One of those smaller rooms is probably an electrical room - likely the one with the double doors, since that's usually needed for code. And another would function as storage space (for toilet paper, cleaning supplies, etc.) so custodial doesn't have to schlepp those items all the way from the utilidors or wherever. But it does seem like a decent amount of backstage space.

Slowjack

Rob562

The room with the rectangle could be a pump room for the water feature(s).

And another possibility came to mind a little whle ago... With the fact that there will be a tall retaining wall to the west, and an odd-shaped pool next to it right alongside the building, what if it's not a waterfall (as I earlier supposed) but a water wheel of some kind, with the water sluice coming off the top of the retaining wall? The water would then come down over the wheel, run under the walkway bridge, and pool at the bottom behind Yankee Trader.

-Rob

Slowjack

I AGREE! I am sentimental but wanting to keep the empty Skyway building instead of better traffic flow in a REALLY congested area is crazy.
I think the plan looks good -- the current restrooms are small and hard to find (my wife always just goes to the Harbor House) but I'm not sure I agree they will help the traffic flow. If you were heading from FL to to the Mansion specifically I can see taking the path through the woods, but it just looks like everyone else will take the original path, because otherwise it's just going out of the way for nothing.

TP2000

Reading the sentiment expressed in this thread makes me understand why Disney largely disregards the desires of fervent fans.

You guys seriously want old, vacant buildings that clearly are remnants of former attractions just sticking around indefinitely?

Thank you for bringing sanity and clarity to this thread! :wave:

TP2000

With the fact that there will be a tall retaining wall to the west, and an odd-shaped pool next to it right alongside the building, what if it's not a waterfall (as I earlier supposed) but a water wheel of some kind, with the water sluice coming off the top of the retaining wall? The water would then come down over the wheel, run under the walkway bridge, and pool at the bottom behind Yankee Trader.

That would not only look nice, but also encourage some of the undecided folks to go ahead and make that pit stop at the facilities before they get in line for Peter Pan. :D

SeaCastle

Original Poster
So you can go off-topic about retention ponds but someone else can't go off about fastpass? Are you the captain of the thread police or just a cop with a beat? :)

Given the fact that retention ponds and the Florida watershed are directly related to this project, I can't say that he's wrong in talking about retention ponds. :shrug:

GymLeaderPhil

So you can go off-topic about retention ponds but someone else can't go off about fastpass? Are you the captain of the thread police or just a cop with a beat? :)
Never seen a thread locked because of a heated debate on retention ponds.

Yet.

I'm sure one of our resident trolls will come in soon discussing the dangers of drowning guests and how Phil Holmes is digging up a sinkhole into the heart the sacred Skyway station grounds. :lookaroun

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Last time I checked the economic feasibility of water tanks vs. retention ponds did not have a reputation for derailing perfectly decent threads and getting them locked. Pointless fastpass debates on the other hand do. If you don't like my post then use the little red triangle in the upper right hand corner and report it.

Slowjack

Last time I checked the economic feasibility of water tanks vs. retention ponds did not have a reputation for derailing perfectly decent threads and getting them locked. Pointless fastpass debates on the other hand do. If you don't like my post then use the little red triangle in the upper right hand corner and report it.
For Pete's sake, I liked your posts fine. I just think the discussion of Fastpass (as it arose in this thread) was as legitimate as your discussion of retention ponds. Man, I'm not even going to bother putting the smile-y any more.

JustInTime

People are quick to jump to interactive with this. I could totally happen. But this ride REALLY needs more Queue space. Sometimes it spills out.

And I would LOVE for Trader's to be turned into something Mansion themed. WE need more merch. And rumor has it, we will be getting on ride photos with the new update. Perfect spot for that.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
For Pete's sake, I liked your posts fine. I just think the discussion of Fastpass (as it arose in this thread) was as legitimate as your discussion of retention ponds. Man, I'm not even going to bother putting the smile-y any more.
My apologies. I did not catch it.

Tom

Beta Return
For those of you still following along at home, I've spent a bit more time analyzing things, and have the following hypotheses:

• There will be some significant grade changes in the area between the new mens restroom and where the path comes out by the HM. Not in the path, but in the landscape.
  • The hill will steadily climb along the west (left) side of the walkway as you go from the HM toward the restrooms. There will be a retaining wall with a top elevation the follows the hill.
  • The hill will peak behind/to the west of the Mens RR. At the top of that hill, which will be about 20' above the nearest point on the path, will be the top of a waterfall.
  • The waterfall will follow the hill down, pass under the retaining wall off the southwest corner of the Mens RR, and then flow under a new walking bridge, which is part of the path.
  • It will end up in a little pool down next to the Trader, which would be on your immediate right as you walk from FL to LibSq. Perhaps even where that little pond is now - hard to say for sure.
  • Going along with what others have said, it appears that there will be a companion restroom connected to the Men's RR building.
  • Going along with what others have said, the large rooms behind the buildings will likely be an assortment of electrical, mechanical, storage and a pump room for the waterfall.
  • The long paths leading up behind the buildings are ramps, with an assortment of steps. However, CMs will be able to get from that back alley up into the park via that 10' wide path between the Women's RR and Small World. There are large gates at the on-stage end of the path.
  • The kidney-shaped islands out in the open space/path will have little mounds in them, so they're not ponds as I originally thought. I think the only water feature will be the waterfall and creek.
  • The elevation of the new restroom floors will be essentially the same as the current path elevation in front of Small World. And since the hill actually drops behind the Men's RR, the facades on the new buildings will need to be pretty tall to hide the HM show building. They will likely appear to be 2-story buildings to replicate the height of the current Skyway and Small World buildings.
  • My official guess is that they'll use this building to make a thematic transition. The Women's side will look more like Small World's stone/castle exterior with a turret, and it will gradually give way to the old world Germanic architecture of Trader/CHH.

I think the new path will almost become a secondary thoroughfare. People who exit HM and are headed to FL will use it, and vice versa. The waterfall and softscape will be a "weenie" to draw some of the crowd that way, but I think the main course of travel will remain under the CHH overpass. Nonetheless, it will provide a nice alternate route and will make the area feel more open.

hpyhnt 1000

For those of you still following along at home, I've spent a bit more time analyzing things, and have the following hypotheses:

• There will be some significant grade changes in the area between the new mens restroom and where the path comes out by the HM. Not in the path, but in the landscape.
  • The hill will steadily climb along the west (left) side of the walkway as you go from the HM toward the restrooms. There will be a retaining wall with a top elevation the follows the hill.
  • The hill will peak behind/to the west of the Mens RR. At the top of that hill, which will be about 20' above the nearest point on the path, will be the top of a waterfall.
  • The waterfall will follow the hill down, pass under the retaining wall off the southwest corner of the Mens RR, and then flow under a new walking bridge, which is part of the path.
  • It will end up in a little pool down next to the Trader, which would be on your immediate right as you walk from FL to LibSq. Perhaps even where that little pond is now - hard to say for sure.
  • Going along with what others have said, it appears that there will be a companion restroom connected to the Men's RR building.
  • Going along with what others have said, the large rooms behind the buildings will likely be an assortment of electrical, mechanical, storage and a pump room for the waterfall.
  • The long paths leading up behind the buildings are ramps, with an assortment of steps. However, CMs will be able to get from that back alley up into the park via that 10' wide path between the Women's RR and Small World. There are large gates at the on-stage end of the path.
  • The kidney-shaped islands out in the open space/path will have little mounds in them, so they're not ponds as I originally thought. I think the only water feature will be the waterfall and creek.
  • The elevation of the new restroom floors will be essentially the same as the current path elevation in front of Small World. And since the hill actually drops behind the Men's RR, the facades on the new buildings will need to be pretty tall to hide the HM show building. They will likely appear to be 2-story buildings to replicate the height of the current Skyway and Small World buildings.
  • My official guess is that they'll use this building to make a thematic transition. The Women's side will look more like Small World's stone/castle exterior with a turret, and it will gradually give way to the old world Germanic architecture of Trader/CHH.
I think the new path will almost become a secondary thoroughfare. People who exit HM and are headed to FL will use it, and vice versa. The waterfall and softscape will be a "weenie" to draw some of the crowd that way, but I think the main course of travel will remain under the CHH overpass. Nonetheless, it will provide a nice alternate route and will make the area feel more open.

Nice summary and analyzation! I agree, the new path looks like it will be a secondary one, but as you said, the landscaping and water feature (and the restrooms themselves) will act as weenies to bring people off the main path and onto the new one. Even if only 15% to 20% of people are diverted it will make a noticeable difference.

Tom

Beta Return
Are we sure that the old restrooms are going to become the queue for PPF? What about a Fairies meet & greet?:shrug:

There have been stronger rumors that it will become extra queue for Pan. I don't think they'd offer enough space for a MnG and it's associated queue.

Besides, won't they go in with the princesses in the old Snow White? Maybe not.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom