Skyway Station Area Redesign

wickedfan07

Could someone please post a photo of the Skyway terminus we're discussing? I can remember the area only slightly and would love to see it, especially because it will be gone before I can get there again.

I understand those who are sad to see the old attractions gone forever. My parents took me to the MK the first year it was open and I've visited many times over 40 years. Each time it's a thrill to see some things almost exactly as they were on my first visits (especially Tomorrowland), and it's a big disappointment to find new(er) attractions that aren't as creative or well-themed (Stitch!). That said, progress can be good, and it looks like this will be a much-needed renovation.

Via Google: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3215/3534119700_56d8f16c3f.jpg

As to a Mansion gift shop, I'd be first in line. Of all the rides that have them, this is one I really wish did. Well-themed, it could be awesome - and an even better excuse to get some more Mansion-specific merchandise.
As one of the staple and most popular attractions, I'm VERY surprised Mansion doesn't have a gift shop. Seems like it would be a true cash cow to me.

Juliaz3

Thanks for posting the photo link, WickedFan07! I've been to DW 4 times in the past 6 years and yet I can't remember actually stopping to LOOK at that terminus. I would have pointed it out to my husband and told him about the Skyway, which he never saw. I did show him the terminus in Tomorrowland, but this one is much more ornate and interesting.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Since this is a project that has been a few years in planning, here are some views I took to document the area when I first heard about the plans back in September 2009:

pana1web.jpg

pana2web.jpg

pana3web.jpg

pana4web.jpg

IMG_7584.JPG

IMG_7583.JPG

IMG_7582.JPG

IMG_7581.JPG

IMG_7580.JPG

IMG_7579.JPG

acr123

^ It is a beautiful area isnt it? I dont remember it looking like that when I was there. I guess all the strollers littering the area kept it from being all that memorable. Thanks for sharing your pics!

jmuboy

Well...on the outside, anyway...

Wow LEE - that's crazy looking on the inside.

As long as the current Alpine beauty (both landscape and architecture) is maintained in the new buildings I think this will end up as a win-win. Alpine architecture, more open walkways, steep hills will landscaped / rolling streams all sound really nice to me. My only hope is that the IASW and HM show buildings are not exposed in the process.

Juliaz3

^ It is a beautiful area isnt it? I dont remember it looking like that when I was there. I guess all the strollers littering the area kept it from being all that memorable. Thanks for sharing your pics!

Excellent photos! I also think that the mass of strollers made me think "nothing to see here, move along" but I wish I had stopped and taken it in. I well remember riding the Skyway now that I've seen these.

Bork Bork

Wow LEE - that's crazy looking on the inside.

As long as the current Alpine beauty (both landscape and architecture) is maintained in the new buildings I think this will end up as a win-win. Alpine architecture, more open walkways, steep hills will landscaped / rolling streams all sound really nice to me. My only hope is that the IASW and HM show buildings are not exposed in the process.

Please forgive my ignorance, but why must the alpine motif continue? I thought, while beautiful, it seems a little out of place with the whole medieval renaissance faire theme. There's really nothing else similar in FL.

I'm sure the area will end up looking great when it's done, regardless. I'm looking forward to seeing how the Imagineers develop this new transition between lands.

Glasgow

Maybe I missed a post, but has anyone done a possible overlay for the PPF bathrooms? ha ... will chalk this up in my "words I thought I'd never say" list. Maybe that's too much thread drift, but it is kind of related .. I'm having difficulty picturing those changes in relation to the overhead view

BTW - nice overlays, everyone!

EPCOTCenterLover

BEAUTIFUL photos! I always imagined a fondue restaurant or cafe inside it. I agree with the earlier poster that this can be a win/win if done excellently.

jmuboy

Please forgive my ignorance, but why must the alpine motif continue? I thought, while beautiful, it seems a little out of place with the whole medieval renaissance faire theme. There's really nothing else similar in FL.

I'm sure the area will end up looking great when it's done, regardless. I'm looking forward to seeing how the Imagineers develop this new transition between lands.

Absolutely not out of place. The current Skyway structure, PPF restrooms, Pinnochio Village Haus and the PPF fastpass area all sport a Alpine theme. The Alpine motif is very much IN THEME and allows a smoother transition zone to the New England style wood structures in the northern portions of Liberty Sq around CHH and the HM.

Bork Bork

Absolutely not out of place. The current Skyway structure, PPF restrooms, Pinnochio Village Haus and the PPF fastpass area all sport a Alpine theme. The Alpine motif is very much IN THEME and allows a smoother transition zone to the New England style wood structures in the northern portions of Liberty Sq around CHH and the HM.

Thanks for the clarification. I had always associated the Tudor/Bavarian half-timbering with more of a "village" feel, as opposed to the clear swiss chalet style of the Skyway Station.

I'm looking forward to see what's put in place.

eilie

Martin - those photos are gorgeous, thanks so much for posting. It's nice to have a good photographic record of this lovely area.

Here is an updated plan, showing the new water feature. This is based on some new info I received about the project from some wonderful people who are in the know, as I am not an insider by any means:

skywayoverlaywithwateroverall.jpg

The water will be pumped up to the top of the hill back by HM, and will then drop over the two retaining walls. The first drop is 15' and the second is 4-5', so it should be a pretty impressive waterfall. The two retaining walls will also be clad with some sort of stone (or faux-stone) treatment. I don't know if they're going with a more naturalized stone hillside look or a more polished/constructed look (like what is currently there), or both. The water will travel in a stream under a bridge and collect in a shallow (1-2') pool behind the Yankee Trader building (as others have correctly surmised from the topo).

Also, for those of you who were curious about the location of the pumps for the new water feature, my reading of the plans indicates that the existing pump house will remain and be reused. Since the pump house is alpine themed, I would quess that the new theming would follow suit (unless of course they retheme the pump house, which is very possible). Personally, I love the alpine theming and hope they keep it.

This is a photo of the pump house that is to remain in place (along with its location in the new plans).

SkywayPumpHouse.jpg

skywayoverlaywithwaterzoom.jpg

flavious27

It is a good thing that the stroller parking lot is getting redone, but I hope that the plans will incorporate the existing theme of the skyway building because it frames a great look.

flavious27

Since this is a project that has been a few years in planning, here are some views I took to document the area when I first heard about the plans back in September 2009:

pana1web.jpg

pana2web.jpg

pana3web.jpg

pana4web.jpg

IMG_7584.JPG

IMG_7583.JPG

IMG_7582.JPG

IMG_7581.JPG

IMG_7580.JPG

IMG_7579.JPG

Much gratitude for documenting the look of a disney attraction that was timeless but time will come to an end soon.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom