Skyway Station Area Redesign

JustInTime

There have been stronger rumors that it will become extra queue for Pan. I don't think they'd offer enough space for a MnG and it's associated queue.

Besides, won't they go in with the princesses in the old Snow White? Maybe not.

I am with the extended Peter Pan Queue rumor. The last thing we need is a extremely popular Meet and Greet in that area. It is already too congested.

Studios Fan

I'm glad that Trader isn't getting demo'd. I like the new path and bathrooms. It should do wonders to help one of the biggest bottlenecks in the Magic Kingdom.

eilie

The room with the rectangle could be a pump room for the water feature(s).

And another possibility came to mind a little whle ago... With the fact that there will be a tall retaining wall to the west, and an odd-shaped pool next to it right alongside the building, what if it's not a waterfall (as I earlier supposed) but a water wheel of some kind, with the water sluice coming off the top of the retaining wall? The water would then come down over the wheel, run under the walkway bridge, and pool at the bottom behind Yankee Trader.

-Rob

Hmm, interesting thought! I think you were correct with your original idea of the waterfall over the retaining walls, though I do like the idea of the water wheel.

I actually think that Disney will probably repurpose their current water feature pump house, as the new pond or stream terminus is located near the location of the existing skyway pond. Since the pump housing is usually located at or near the lowest elevation of the water feature (at least in recirculating designs with water reservoirs at the base), I would imagine that the current pump system could be reused or upgraded if needed. I'm not sure it makes a whole lot of sense to locate the pumps in the new building, away from where the water would be collecting at the base.

rct247

Disney really is taking note of their infrastructure with the restrooms. There have been major restroom refurbishments all over property over the past few years. At the Magic Kingdom alone, we've seen Tomorrowland (old skyway) restrooms get a major overhaul as well as the Adventureland (breezeway) restrooms. The restrooms near Pirates of the Caribbean are currently under refurbishment and I believe Columbia Harbor House had one not too long ago. With growing crowds, it is nice to see that they are taking care of this.

I'm really curious to see how this affects traffic flow. While the new pathway will provide additional access to Fantasyland/Liberty Square, I'm not sure if it will divert people as well. I almost wonder if they would close the existing walkway for any reason. They really do need to do something with Stroller Parking. Would part of the old path turn into stroller parking?

I'm also very impressed on the group thinking going on in this thread. The Photoshop skills and deductive reasoning have been great. Having worked custodial before, it was fun trying to figure out the restroom plans, but again, I was amazed that everyone was able to figure them out.

Dizmentia

Excellent job! I was really having trouble picturing this but the drawings solved that. And a few points...

This was probably inevitable as the new FLE would have made this bottleneck downright dangerous.

I understand some people lamenting the loss of the beautiful skyway building but others are just trolls here who lie dormant and pop up to dismiss these type changes. I don't think Disney has a choice though but to widen the path(s).

My biggest concern is the HM show building. I am thinking the elevations of these new buildings are going to have to be quite high to hide the building. More interesting though is perhaps the HM building facade on the FL side will receive some sort of theming to blend it into the area. Hmmm :)

And finally, that is quite a plot of land remaining between the HM exit and this new area that could be utilized. Hmmmm again :lookaroun M&G?

Wasn't there talk of a proposed Haunted Mansion store at the attraction exit years ago? I know there's a gift cart nearby (I got some Hitchhiking Ghost bobbleheads there) but I think a real, themed shop would be nice.

tirian

Wasn't there talk of a proposed Haunted Mansion store at the attraction exit years ago? I know there's a gift cart nearby (I got some Hitchhiking Ghost bobbleheads there) but I think a real, themed shop would be nice.

Yes, it would have been in the same location. There really isn't any other place; the HM and SW buildings are about ten feet apart.

MotherOfBirds

Maybe it'll be "interactive" like the bathrooms in Hogsmeade. But instead of Moaning Myrtle watching you p ee , it'll be Constance :lol:

jt04

Oh yeah. Thanks for the reminder. Makes perfect sense.

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
Both skyway stations demolished for RESTROOM purposes!! What is this blatant disregard for original theming, park history, classic attractions! It's truely sickening :cry::cry:

Whoever makes these executive decisions should be OVERTHROWN. Disney desperately needs to get back to basics!

I'd rather have a functional clean bathroom in that area that is easy to find for most guests...let's face it, the ones by Pan aren't exactly well marked and easily missed...

Also...let's put a FUNCTIONAL building in instead of an old dead building. Makes sense to me. That area gets really congested in the afternoons, and this will help clear up some of that.

NewfieFan

There have been stronger rumors that it will become extra queue for Pan. I don't think they'd offer enough space for a MnG and it's associated queue.

Besides, won't they go in with the princesses in the old Snow White? Maybe not.

Wasn't the last word on the Fairies that they were staying at Epcot? Not sure how permanant that is!?! :shrug:

Loving the info in this thread by the way!

WDW-Crazy

Reading the sentiment expressed in this thread makes me understand why Disney largely disregards the desires of fervent fans.

You guys seriously want old, vacant buildings that clearly are remnants of former attractions just sticking around indefinitely? That seems more than a little ridiculous to me. Did you honestly expect the Skyway to come back or something? I know the building is far from the eyesore that River Country is, but people seem to be clamoring for RC's removal because it no longer has a purpose and doesn't fit the area. Likewise, a Skyway building with a large opening in it, while pretty, no doubt, doesn't fit.

There are ways to embrace the past without having relics of it around that obstruct future progress. The Skyway buildings (are and) will be missed, no doubt, but does anyone honestly think that the best use of the limited Fantasyland real estate in this area is for an old attraction building that serves no purpose beyond that of an aesthetic reminder of days past? These changes will open up this area, allow for much needed expansion of the PPF queue, and allow for a better use of the space. Saying that the Skyway is being replaced with a bathroom, and that's disgusting, is reducing this to overly simple and misleading terms. The Skyway is being removed to allow for important infrastructure changes to Fantasyland that will allow for PPF to have a better queue, will facilitate traffic flow in this area, and will also bring newer restrooms to the area.

Plus, who knows, the new building design might actually be quite gorgeous.

I agree 110% with this. While I was upset with the Tomorrowland station's removal, there really isn't a purpose leaving old abandoned structures sitting there with no use to them. I do agree that this area does get congested and I'm guessing they see that this area could be of better use at traffic flow rather than turning it into a meet and greet or letting an empty building sit there. I guess with some of the Toontown tents staying, isn't one of those housing a meet and greet like before?

At least I have tons of pictures of it, both with and without the ride there, so this isn't a really big deal to me.

Magenta Panther

Especially if it were heavily themed, with flickering chandeliers and ghostly sounds. Maybe even with ghostly images appearing in mirrors. Cool!

lazyboy97o

Especially if it were heavily themed, with flickering chandeliers and ghostly sounds. Maybe even with ghostly images appearing in mirrors. Cool!
For some time now I have been of the opinion that Disney should actually make the Disney Stores a show, offering up unique themed experiences with some derived from the theme parks. Imagine a few Haunted Mansion themed Disney Stores dotted across the country that include theme specific merchandise in their offers.

AEfx

For some time now I have been of the opinion that Disney should actually make the Disney Stores a show, offering up unique themed experiences with some derived from the theme parks. Imagine a few Haunted Mansion themed Disney Stores dotted across the country that include theme specific merchandise in their offers.

Well, they kinda used to be. There were animated displays and such. Then that all started to fade until they got bought out.

As to a Mansion gift shop, I'd be first in line. Of all the rides that have them, this is one I really wish did. Well-themed, it could be awesome - and an even better excuse to get some more Mansion-specific merchandise.

lazyboy97o

Well, they kinda used to be. There were animated displays and such. Then that all started to fade until they got bought out
As great as the "Pink and Greens" were (the few remaining ones are just sad reminder of what once was), they were never a themed experience.

disneyWX

I'd rather have a functional clean bathroom in that area that is easy to find for most guests...let's face it, the ones by Pan aren't exactly well marked and easily missed...

Also...let's put a FUNCTIONAL building in instead of an old dead building. Makes sense to me. That area gets really congested in the afternoons, and this will help clear up some of that.

Please don't get it twisted - I'm not arguing functionality here. Even though the explorer in me is intrigued by deserted Disney attractions, OF COURSE I prefer that that and all other areas be operational! And on relieving traffic stress to Fantasyland, yes I can see the benefits. My comments aren't meant to be in opposition to these things. All I'm saying is its a shame that the gorgeous original structure cannot remain as part of the re-purposing. Could it have been done - maybe, maybe not. (Most likely not as a restroom.) Only Disney insiders involved in making the decision know that truth. And regardless, it's now a moot point.

Functional or not, the station was one of my favorite destinations and photo subjects in MK and it will be missed from my vacation visits. For this reason and because its an original piece of park history, I feel it's newly revealed fate is quite sad. That's MY opinion. Just because YOU may not be able to identify with it doesn't mean it's not valid and doesn't mean I'm a naysayer, traditionalist, etc. ("Traditionalist"...aren't most who love Disney tied to some aspect of it's history??)

Wow the stones are flying! Last time I checked this was a DISCUSSION board and personal reflections were still welcome...goodness :eek:

Juliaz3

Photos please

Could someone please post a photo of the Skyway terminus we're discussing? I can remember the area only slightly and would love to see it, especially because it will be gone before I can get there again.

I understand those who are sad to see the old attractions gone forever. My parents took me to the MK the first year it was open and I've visited many times over 40 years. Each time it's a thrill to see some things almost exactly as they were on my first visits (especially Tomorrowland), and it's a big disappointment to find new(er) attractions that aren't as creative or well-themed (Stitch!). That said, progress can be good, and it looks like this will be a much-needed renovation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom