Skyway Station Area Redesign

RunnerEd

It's times like this that, out of fairness, we need to remember that TDO is not always "cheap".

Even with the new Fanatasyland coming (which is sure to draw more crowds through that area), they could have easily left the pathway a bottleneck. They could have kept the Skyway station as a stroller area. And they could have continued to have occasional lines going into the crowded restroom.

But think of the expense that is going into this not-so-simple pathway improvement:

*The IASW queue was flip-flopped from its original design, moving people away from that attraction's western edge.

*A newly-expanded HM queue was carved out of vacant land to get people away from that attraction's southeastern edge.

*The construction of new restrooms is not cheap.

*The amount of labor needed to demolish the old Skyway building, excavate the hill, theme the backside of Yankee Trader, and landscape the area will be significant.

*The elimination of the existing restrooms will presumably allow them to expand the Peter Pan queue, perhaps the worst queue for a popular attraction other than Dumbo (which is also being fixed).

We can (rightly) moan and groan about a Yeti that hasn't moved in years. But when it comes to the operation of a theme park, the company still knows what it is doing.

Very well said. I get the impression from some people on this board that seem to believe that TDO sits down at a weekly meeting and discusses how they can make WDW suck. By and large, I still think they do a great job and never leave WDW without know when I'll be back and always anticipate the next trip (72 days!!!!)

IWant2GoNow

Listening to the WDWFanboys podcast where they interviewed Lee and they made mention that the creation of these bathrooms could allow an updated queue for PPF.

Now whether that will be just a longer queue or one of the new interactive queues is still in question.

Does anyone know what will be in store for the PPF queue? And if it were to be interactive, what kind of interactive things could they even implement? :confused:

juniorthomas

I will likely get blasted for this...

Not only do I agree, but I always pictured the straight run between Small World and the east end of Peter Pan to be the perfect stretch for a fabric covering. Keep it open air, but provide some shade and relief in what is the ugliest part of the park. It is "fair" themed after all anyway.

That's a brilliant idea to me. No blast here

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Just curious and don't know if it's been covered already, but has anyone heard what they are planning on doing with the stroller parking, etc while this area is under construction? Will it all need to be centrally located over by Philharmagic while the construction is going on?

NewfieFan

Just curious and don't know if it's been covered already, but has anyone heard what they are planning on doing with the stroller parking, etc while this area is under construction? Will it all need to be centrally located over by Philharmagic while the construction is going on?

That's a good question and sorry I do not have an answer for you. I've been wondering the same thing myself. I don't think anyone has mentioned any stroller parking in the new design and I do not see any on the plans (not that I have the slightest clue how to read the plans anyway).

devoy1701

It would matter if it stays with the theme and look of the area, I think that disney should have some old growth trees in the farm that could be placed here instead.

are you talking about immediately in between isaw and PP? If so, that area definitely isn't wide enough for old growth trees. The buildings aren't that far apart and oaks grow pretty wide...it would be a mess and potential hazard during summer storms and/or hurricanes.

flavious27

are you talking about immediately in between isaw and PP? If so, that area definitely isn't wide enough for old growth trees. The buildings aren't that far apart and oaks grow pretty wide...it would be a mess and potential hazard during summer storms and/or hurricanes.

There are two spots between the two buildings that would fit a tree, which disney can already have pruned to fit into place. The same hazardous would be in place with either a complete canvas covering the area or the shades used at epcot. There are trees just east of that area, so maintenance would not be a problem.

MMouse1972

Well...on the outside, anyway...

Amazing picture, Lee. Thanks!

Do you have any other "inside" photos of the Skyway that you could share with us before it's demolished.

While I welcome the progress, the Skyway was one of my favorite rides as a kid and seeing the last remnant go makes me nostalgic. Same as for the old 20K.

flavious27

Real trees? Or cement trees that feature every form of life ever.

I'd settle for bringing the skyway back. If you timed it properly, you could stay in the shade of those gondolas.

The park would be empty when pop warner comes into town, those kids are bad enough on the ground, imagine them in the air.

flavious27

Amazing picture, Lee. Thanks!

Do you have any other "inside" photos of the Skyway that you could share with us before it's demolished.

While I welcome the progress, the Skyway was one of my favorite rides as a kid and seeing the last remnant go makes me nostalgic. Same as for the old 20K.

ditto, they could have done so much with the stations then bathrooms. Either could have been a nice TS.

devoy1701

There are two spots between the two buildings that would fit a tree, which disney can already have pruned to fit into place. The same hazardous would be in place with either a complete canvas covering the area or the shades used at epcot. There are trees just east of that area, so maintenance would not be a problem.

only place possibly wide enough would be infront of the clocktower between the Village Haus and isaw...but even that area isn't very big...Oak trees get very big....take a look how wide the Liberty Tree reaches... I just don't think it's a good idea. unless they did raised planters and were able to use a small trees, but that would work opposite on easing the foot traffic congestion.

Jerm

here is a nice view from the queue in 1998

Looking back toward the station

I can not wait for the work to start on this, that area of the park has always been a bad bottle neck and just from the plans alone it looks amazing!

flavious27

only place possibly wide enough would be infront of the clocktower between the Village Haus and isaw...but even that area isn't very big...Oak trees get very big....take a look how wide the Liberty Tree reaches... I just don't think it's a good idea. unless they did raised planters and were able to use a small trees, but that would work opposite on easing the foot traffic congestion.

Well there are some trees around the sky station that have been pruned high enough up and trimmed that they wouldn't be touching either show building.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom