Skyliner down at EP tonight. Crash?

Disone

Have you ridden the Skyliner? Watch a video of the cars going through the turn station.
This agression seems misplaced. It is a totally valid observation that the gondolas spacing drastically decreases as they go through the turning station as do their speeds.
Here is a video where you can clearly see the spacing between card decrease as they enter the turn station.

Thank you

Last edited:

Naplesgolfer

You would have to believe Doppelmayr wouldn't agree to install a layout that wouldn't operate safely. So this leaves operating cast member error. I suspect they need a higher level of training and continuity of staff long term to run this. Higher pay would be a no brainer to retain trained staff with the optics at stake with this transport system.

lightguy

This agression seems misplaced. It is a totally valid observation that the gondolas spacing drastically decreases as they go through the turning station as do their speeds.

Thank you
Agreed, but did anyone dispute that the cars slow down and get closer in the turn station?

It's true, they do because they detach from the haul rope and are pulled around the track at a slower speed until they get to the other end of the turn and reattach to the haul rope. But all of the cars are pulled along the track at a constant speed, so the relative spacing doesn't change. So while I would never say anything is imposable, it's highly improbable that there would be a problem here.

I think people underestimate the number of sensors a system like this has. I'm sure it has proximity/spacing sensors at the entrances/exits for the stations and will estop if it sees a problem. We don't have all the facts on the causes of the 3 accidents that have happened, but from the photos I've seen, at least the second accident seems to have have occurred when a cabin in the main loading track collided with a cabin that was on the secondary track that's intended for ECV/ADA loading (so it doesn't hold up the main loading track). That is likely a more manual process and it seems like (total speculation on my part- you are free to assume whatever you want) the accidents have likely resulted from some combination of the cabin on the secondary loading track not being far enough in to let the next cabin on the main track pass without clipping it, and/or the track switching mechanism being left in the wrong position and allowing a second car to follow the first onto the secondary loading track when it wasn't supposed to be there. There could have also been some kind of sensor failure I guess, but only one of the "crashes" seems to have been hard enough to even break the glass in one of the cabins. They just don't seem like significant issues given the millions of passengers transported.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Are you sure? The cars definitely slow down there. How are they on the same line there if they’re going a different speed?

Aside from the obvious pixie dust answer (it's MAGIC!), the gondolas in this implementation aren't always on the haul rope. Various parts of the ride are on a motorized track segment. Naturally, there has to be space for incoming gondolas so if a station is full, they have to slow down the haul rope.

natatomic

Aside from the obvious pixie dust answer (it's MAGIC!), the gondolas in this implementation aren't always on the haul rope. Various parts of the ride are on a motorized track segment. Naturally, there has to be space for incoming gondolas so if a station is full, they have to slow down the haul rope.
Right, I totally get that. I think it’s the other person who’s confused.

Have you ridden the Skyliner? Watch a video of the cars going through the turn station.
Yes; as a local who lives 5 miles away, I’ve ridden it dozens and dozens of times. And yes, the cars definitely slow down at that turn, and the spacing is less (though they are obviously not nearly as close as they are in the stations).

TikibirdLand

And, I didn’t say you said that nor have I dismissed people having panic attacks. I think we are on the same page regarding the general topic.

My commentary is primarily my sarcasm-filled reaction to the actual video and the fact that picking up a phone to film oneself and posting it to social media outlets is an increasingly popular symptom of many portrayed “ailments” these days to trigger a dramatic response from others to increase interactions, which said interactions can ultimately be monetized.
Seems that Disney only listens when a big enough audience is there to hear / see it. We don't know what happened before the TikTok video. I'm betting she pressed the red button to summon help and got the typical, "Have a magical day". Real compassion on the other side of that EMERGENCY button would certainly help. And, yes, I'm referring to other crashes where this exact response was recorded.

Slowjack

FWIW, when I was riding last week, our gondola struck the one in front of us as we were coming into the station. Hard enough to give us a jolt but not hard enough to damage anything (or anyone), and I guess no attendants noticed or cared. After that I paid more attention when we came in, and seeing how fast the gondolas arrive and how much they swing when they decelerate, I wouldn't be surprised if (minor) bumps were a regular occurrence with the system, or even expected.

Goofyernmost

FWIW, when I was riding last week, our gondola struck the one in front of us as we were coming into the station. Hard enough to give us a jolt but not hard enough to damage anything (or anyone), and I guess no attendants noticed or cared. After that I paid more attention when we came in, and seeing how fast the gondolas arrive and how much they swing when they decelerate, I wouldn't be surprised if (minor) bumps were a regular occurrence with the system, or even expected.
This! These are machines in motion. Because of the system occasionally they will bump into each other, yes, just like the people mover, but until recently it wasn't a problem. We are all so soft that a little minor bump becomes a "crash". A touch of common sense and understanding of reality would be very helpful about now. Remember the lines of people that used to be waiting to get on bumper cars. those thing hit each other with far greater force then anything I have ever noticed at Disney, yet we couldn't wait to get on them. We even used to do everything we could to do head on collisions with those thing and damned if we didn't survive to ride another day. How about small world and pirates. Has anyone not experienced the bumping at unload of both of those. Mountains out of molehills constantly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom