Skyliner down at EP tonight. Crash?

JoeCamel

FWIW, when I was riding last week, our gondola struck the one in front of us as we were coming into the station. Hard enough to give us a jolt but not hard enough to damage anything (or anyone), and I guess no attendants noticed or cared. After that I paid more attention when we came in, and seeing how fast the gondolas arrive and how much they swing when they decelerate, I wouldn't be surprised if (minor) bumps were a regular occurrence with the system, or even expected.
They had the people mover designers consult with Doppelmayer so it operates to the Disney standard........

TikibirdLand

Fatal
Skyliner = 0 to date
Monorail = 1 to date
Bus fatal = 1? to date

What'chu lookin' at willis?
As tragic as fatal is to the families involved (and it is, no doubt about it), it's the down time of all incidents have on those that rely on the transport. With the monorail, there have been a few incidents where passengers had to be evacuated and others where they sat waiting. Ditto on Skyliner. Ditto on busses. Looking at the last couple of years; has other forms of transport had the same number of crashes? I searched and couldn't find anything on buses (most common form of transport, even above the Skyliner). If they can fix the people mover from doing this, they certainly can fix the Skyler from doing it too.

TikibirdLand

That page doesn't report the two recent "bump" incidents with the skyliner, so how many minor bus incidents that didn't have an injuries are also unreported on there?
I agree. How does one bus down affect the fleet? I'd say minimally. When this happens on the Monorail or Skyliner, it affects the whole line. Curious how many people are on the line when this kind of incident happens for each form of transporation? I'd hazard to guess there's quite a few more people on the Skyliner... Do you agree that there are things Dopelmeyer and Disney can do to keep this from happening again?

Goofyernmost

I agree. How does one bus down affect the fleet? I'd say minimally. When this happens on the Monorail or Skyliner, it affects the whole line. Curious how many people are on the line when this kind of incident happens for each form of transporation? I'd hazard to guess there's quite a few more people on the Skyliner... Do you agree that there are things Dopelmeyer and Disney can do to keep this from happening again?
They just did it, they quickly made sure that it was a individual oddity and started it back up again instead of taking hours to remove passengers from high above saving hours of hang time when panic wasn't necessary. Every vehicle that you ever decide to enter has the potential for something tragic happening. So far nothing tragic has happened with the Gondola's and now that they know that something might just bump into something else, they are learning how to deal with it in a sensible manner. With the exception of a few that didn't think through the possibility of a stoppage that they wouldn't be strong enough to handle doesn't make it a poor process. Over time it will become more second nature in operation and become less frequent or catastrophic to some.

Last edited:

solidyne

Original Poster
This! These are machines in motion. Because of the system occasionally they will bump into each other, yes, just like the people mover, but until recently it wasn't a problem. We are all so soft that a little minor bump becomes a "crash". A touch of common sense and understanding of reality would be very helpful about now. Remember the lines of people that used to be waiting to get on bumper cars. those thing hit each other with far greater force then anything I have ever noticed at Disney, yet we couldn't wait to get on them. We even used to do everything we could to do head on collisions with those thing and damned if we didn't survive to ride another day. How about small world and pirates. Has anyone not experienced the bumping at unload of both of those. Mountains out of molehills constantly.
I do think some passengers intentionally swing the gondola upon approach.

GimpYancIent

I do think some passengers intentionally swing the gondola upon approach.
There are always clowns, like some people think that by shifting their body weight towards the inside of a turn while riding a roller coaster that the coaster vehicle will go faster or all too often the folks that purposely drive their cars to push the car in front of them on Speedway in MK. The clowns think they are amusing and funny when actually they look stupid, moronic and detract from the experience. As for gondola swinging, having ridden Skyliner multiple times, there is plenty of leeway for the swing motion that is expected. I like the Skyliner and look forward to riding it more plus hopefully its expansion.

mergatroid

I'm sure they're looking at things already. I mean we could stop all deaths by car accidents very simply, ban cars. The reason we don't is because sometimes with things there's always a slight risk and we just have to decide whether to take it or not. Elevators stop, all transport can 'crash', people can feint in the sun, animals can attack us, food can poison us, other people can assault or murder us, we can drown in swimming pools or lakes and the list goes on.

You could employ a system where we slow the cars to such a speed that they can't strike another with any force but it may make the ride 10 times slower, but then nobody would use it. Alternatively you could add spurs to every station whereby if there's a collision at load/unload (where it happens), there's a way of unhooking the actual cable onto a different support to bypass the stationery section but I don't know whether that's even possible? If you spent millions doing that then you could argue "What happens if there's a collision on that line" and it goes on and on. Hopefully it's a work in progress as with any type of transportation, often we learn from mistakes and the transport evolves from them into a better and safer form. For those who don't want to wait for the improvements and feel the skyliner is a deathtrap or think Disney hasn't thought about safety enough on this option, I'd say stay clear if you feel the risk of injury is too high. Nobody's forcing people to go on it and as I'm aware there's not a big number of injuries sustained by guests using it. If people are worried then let them use a different system that they feel is safer after doing their research and convincing themselves that it's more dangerous than the other options.

Last edited:

cranbiz

Fatal
Skyliner = 0 to date
Monorail = 1 to date
Bus fatal = 1? to date

What'chu lookin' at willis?
Sorry, bus fatalities are more than one. I can think of several.

Kid in the fort who got run over. Old man at Riverside who walked out in front on a bus, Woman who ran a red light near Coronado, Disney Bus Driver who rear ended a charter bus at the Epcot toll plaza are just a couple I can think of.

Plenty of un-publicized crashes in bus operations. I know of a bunch. You don't hear anything about them because, unless someone does get seriously injured, they are not newsworthy.

And you missed the parking lot tram fatality. Granted, it's really old but based on the numbers presented, it's just as dangerous.

JoeCamel

Sorry, bus fatalities are more than one. I can think of several.

Kid in the fort who got run over. Old man at Riverside who walked out in front on a bus, Woman who ran a red light near Coronado, Disney Bus Driver who rear ended a charter bus at the Epcot toll plaza are just a couple I can think of.

Plenty of un-publicized crashes in bus operations. I know of a bunch. You don't hear anything about them because, unless someone does get seriously injured, they are not newsworthy.

And you missed the parking lot tram fatality. Granted, it's really old but based on the numbers presented, it's just as dangerous.
Hence the question mark, I know of Ft Wilderness and think I know of others but sorting out the medical from the catastrophic injuries is beyond me.
All the accidents are recorded but getting the details is where the work comes in.

mp80237

I am completely confused about why Disney is having so many issues with their gondolas. I am from Colorado. The last time the gondola in Vail had a crash was in the 70s. And folks, the gondolas in Colorado have to slow down because there are up to 12 people getting off with skis. The Beaver Creek gondola, you have enough time to exit and then grab your skis off the side. The ski slopes in Colorado have many gondolas. The gondola in Whistler, British Columbia goes from peak to peak (there have been 2 issues there but that was 2 in the last 20 years). There are thousands of skiers each day. The technology isn't new. Been around for decades. I don't understand what is going on.

cranbiz

Ski Resorts don't have thousands of clueless tourists nor the decree of individuals using mobility devices, many who don't normally use them everyday.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom