Skyliner down at EP tonight. Crash?

Notes from Neverland

I am completely confused about why Disney is having so many issues with their gondolas. I am from Colorado. The last time the gondola in Vail had a crash was in the 70s. And folks, the gondolas in Colorado have to slow down because there are up to 12 people getting off with skis. The Beaver Creek gondola, you have enough time to exit and then grab your skis off the side. The ski slopes in Colorado have many gondolas. The gondola in Whistler, British Columbia goes from peak to peak (there have been 2 issues there but that was 2 in the last 20 years). There are thousands of skiers each day. The technology isn't new. Been around for decades. I don't understand what is going on.
The majority of issues have come from the accessible cabins being reintroduced to the line after being held in a stationary staging area for loading. That's a bit of a unique situation most ski gondolas don't have to worry about.

cranbiz

oh, that isn't true. Many getting on the gondolas have never been on a gondola before. And if they don't get off, they stay on until the next stop.
So, what about the mobility devices? I haven't been to a ski resort in many years but I don't remember a scooter trying to get up to the mountaintop as a very regular thing, which is very unlike the Disney issues.

Most of the issues with the skyline has involved the reintroduction of a handicap gondola back onto the main line.

mp80237

The majority of issues have come from the accessible cabins being reintroduced to the line after being held in a stationary staging area for loading. That's a bit of a unique situation most ski gondolas don't have to worry about.
I have not been on the Disney gondolas yet. No, in Colorado, they do not have separate cars for wheelchairs. They ride in the same gondola. That being said, they still shouldn't be crashing.

cranbiz

I have not been on the Disney gondolas yet. No, in Colorado, they do not have separate cars for wheelchairs. They ride in the same gondola. That being said, they still shouldn't be crashing.
No, they shouldn't be but all handicap gondolas are manually reintroduced back on the line. It's more of a unique situation.

mp80237

So, what about the mobility devices? I haven't been to a ski resort in many years but I don't remember a scooter trying to get up to the mountaintop as a very regular thing, which is very unlike the Disney issues.

Most of the issues with the skyline has involved the reintroduction of a handicap gondola back onto the main line.
There are a lot of people who have mobility issues that ski. A friend of mine was a ski instructor to those who are paralyzed. The equipment that is used is very cool. Then you have those that want to see the fall colors, or just see the mountain in summer. They go up. Sometimes they stay in the gondola and go back down. Some get off. I do have to say up above, they need to make it easier. There are limited places for someone who has mobility issues.

cranbiz

You are actually making my point. Disabled individuals that ski are not using Apple (insert your favorite rental company here) rental's scooters, they have their own devices and know how to use them. I seriously doubt that the majority of mobility challenged individuals going up the mountain in a gondola rented their scooter specifically for the trip.

This being said, I don't disagree that their may be a better (meaning more expensive) way to move the handicapped gondola on and off the main line automatically.

I never had any issues during my tenure as a bus driver at Disney with those who had their own equipment, they know how to operate it. Every incident I ever had was with a rental scooter and the individuals who had no clue on how to safely operate it. I may have been gone for 10 years now but I can guarantee you that this situation hasn't changed.

Monorail_Red_77

I am curious as to why not? Both the loading stations and turning station go through the same disconnect and reconnect process before/after the gondolas reach the turn. All the collisions seem to be in the areas were speed changes and disconnect or reconnect to the cable occurs and the turning station has the same process/feature.
I think the biggest difference between the turning station and all other stations is that the turning station generally does not have to deal with stopped gondolas. I mean yes, the gondolas can stop in the turn station, though the entire line has to stop for this to happen. So a moving gondola never approaches a stopped gondola in that station. All of these "crashes" that have happened have happened inside load/unload stations where an approaching gondola is confronted with a stopped gondola. I believe some of them have also been where the ecv/wheelchair load section merges with the rest of the load station. This is why a crash could not happen inside the turning station.

zann285

I think the biggest difference between the turning station and all other stations is that the turning station generally does not have to deal with stopped gondolas. I mean yes, the gondolas can stop in the turn station, though the entire line has to stop for this to happen. So a moving gondola never approaches a stopped gondola in that station. All of these "crashes" that have happened have happened inside load/unload stations where an approaching gondola is confronted with a stopped gondola. I believe some of them have also been where the ecv/wheelchair load section merges with the rest of the load station. This is why a crash could not happen inside the turning station.

One out of the three was directly related to the HA area (DHS). The most recent at Epcot was at the entry point for the station, not near the HA area. The way that station is designed the cars should never have to stop at that portion for the HA area. As I’m sure we have all seen, the HA gondolas maintain speed while they move off track to the HA area, then stop. Then for re-entry, the exiting HA gondola picks up speed and takes the place of the arriving HA gondola. None of this should affect the primary lines speed at all.

And of course the first incident was at Riviera, from the pictures it appears a gondola was stuck in the portion that ramps it up to the main line. This station does not have a separate HA load area as has been mentioned, but when we stayed at CBR in 2019 with an ECV we would typically use the Riviera station for the skyliner. The operators’ preference at the time was to use creep mode for loading unloading ECVs there, though they would quickly go to full stop if needed. Which is of course what you were saying. Any speed adjustments or stops they did within the station would also affect the rest of the line. At no point would a moving gondola be approaching a stopped gondola. If the line stopped in a station, the whole line had to stop as well. And if the line in the station went to creep mode because the five year old boarding didn’t get her ballon in just right, the rest of the same line would too.

So 2/3 of these (admittedly not many) incidents have been related to the portion that takes gondolas on and off the main line, and the third was the portion that handles connecting between the HA area and the main loading area. Since we are not privvy to internal Disney reports, we do not know if these are in any way related to guest loading, since the exact area the incidents occurred are technically off limits to guests. And we do not know if it was related to any stops Disney had to make to ease guest loading or unloading, again, in the areas the incidents happened that should not be a direct concern. Maybe you could say this occurred because the system jammed from having to handle stupid, fat American tourists who can’t load efficiently and it broke from having to do too many stops, but Disney knew who their passengers were when they bought it.

I think there is clearly at least a minor issue with the systems that are supposed to handle the line changes that the gondolas make when transitioning in stations. Again, maybe there is more strain on their systems than Disney anticipated when ordering. And I don’t think it will be A major issue for guests riding. But I also don’t think that having such a critical component fail at all is ideal. I would not be surprised if these components get reviewed in the upcoming refurb time.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom