Skyliner down at EP tonight. Crash?

Goofyernmost

The way the cars sway with the wind when stopped makes me a bit nervous. Not sure why. Same thing on Mickey’s Fun Wheel or whatever Pixar name they came up with :p

This made me laugh out loud. It’s also spot on. It’s amazing the lengths some people will go to defend Disney. Reminds me of the fatalities at Disneyland days when it was “good business” to run attractions to failure.
It's more amazing how far people will go to turn a minor incident into a mass murder. You ride the monorail and people have gotten killed on that one. Technology is great, but it isn't perfect. It has no logic or ability to reason, it can only react technologically. Because of that things happen. Machines break, sensors fail and since there is no human there to attempt to compensate for it, it bumps into another one. Unless you want to tell me that using the word "Crash" isn't just a tad hyperbolic. BTW, in case it is confusing that is defending technology in a reasonable sense, not Disney. If your Mercedes Benz breaks down is it because the owner has gone the cheap route?

Goofyernmost

The fact that it restarted so quickly suggests the safety police also don’t care. Also, when monorails are allowed to drive with doors open, we need to adjust our expectations. Survived the trip to the park? The Magic is still here.
Or maybe because there was nothing seriously wrong with it. But lets put it in criminal status. The monorail had ONE occasion with the door and it wasn't all the way open. Can we at least act like we have an ability to tell the difference between intentional and reacting to unplanned events.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
I believe this is what you are talking about. Wow, memories. Too bad it all ended in 1994, but when you think about it, was it really that long ago?

View attachment 562895
No, that's Disneyland. This is the MK...
1623268319800.png

mergatroid

I remember when the MK had the gondola ride across the park. It was so much fun and a seamless ride. I think it was stopped because some jerks were spitting and throwing things at the guests walking in the parks? Not sure, but that is what I heard.
My question and point? Does anyone know if that gondola had any crashes, collisions, problems at all? I have never heard of any.
I was on it one time when our vehicle stopped at the point where the direction changed (they had a set station for this near the speedway). They actually employed CM's to stand there and they would manually push the vehicles that stopped. I'm 99% certain I read somewhere that a CM sadly lost their life working this attraction though can't remember all the details? I think they were either struck by a vehicle or by lightening whilst working.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I was on it one time when our vehicle stopped at the point where the direction changed (they had a set station for this near the speedway). They actually employed CM's to stand there and they would manually push the vehicles that stopped. I'm 99% certain I read somewhere that a CM sadly lost their life working this attraction though can't remember all the details? I think they were either struck by a vehicle or by lightening whilst working.

Correct, a custodian died when cleaning the platform and the ride was started up. This really had nothing to do with the ride itself.

mergatroid

Correct, a custodian died when cleaning the platform and the ride was started up. This really had nothing to do with the ride itself.
Thanks. I'm sure I remember reading on here that it was an ongoing 'problem' at the station where you changed direction with cars stopping and having to be permanently manned as it wasn't designed to be like that?

UNCgolf

Must be a newly discovered symptom for panic attacks- quick I feel one coming on, grab the cell phone and record a video to post to social media for likes, comments, and views. Have to make sure everyone knows how distraught I am before it really kicks in. 🤨🙄

Yeah, that's not what I said at all?

I specifically said she could be completely ridiculous because I didn't watch the video. My point was that dismissing the whole idea of anyone having a panic attack if the Skyliner breaks down (which is what the people I was responding to were doing) is incredibly wrong. Just because she might be silly/melodramatic doesn't mean the idea of someone having a panic attack in general is.

mergatroid

Yeah, that's not what I said at all?

I specifically said she could be completely ridiculous because I didn't watch the video. My point was that dismissing the whole idea of anyone having a panic attack if the Skyliner breaks down (which is what the people I was responding to were doing) is incredibly wrong. Just because she might be silly/melodramatic doesn't mean the idea of someone having a panic attack in general is.
I think ideally an individual would look at possible scenarios and make an informed decision on what to do. We see and hear people in the parks doing this all the time by deciding which rides they won't go on for various reasons. If I were prone to panic attacks if in small places or above ground, then I'd look at the skyway and think "This could break down and leave me stranded, how would I handle that". If that possibility freaked me out then I'd choose another transportation option even if that meant getting a taxi.

I have far more sympathy for those who were caught in their cabins for a few hours the first time there was an accident. If you're not a Disney fan it probably wouldn't cross your mind that you may in extreme cases be there for hours, or assume that there was a/c in there. By the way I'm quoting you for convenience and not because I have a particular problem with your post, so please don't think I'm arguing with you and forgive my laziness :).

Last edited:

peter11435

Monorail - 49 years in operation. 5 crash-like incidents that I know of. (Mark IV and VIs only)
Skyliner - 2 years in operation. 3 crash-like incidents that I know of.
Ok but the skyliner incidents have been essentially fender benders with no injuries. You can’t say that about the monorail

ppete1975

It's more amazing how far people will go to turn a minor incident into a mass murder. You ride the monorail and people have gotten killed on that one. Technology is great, but it isn't perfect. It has no logic or ability to reason, it can only react technologically. Because of that things happen. Machines break, sensors fail and since there is no human there to attempt to compensate for it, it bumps into another one. Unless you want to tell me that using the word "Crash" isn't just a tad hyperbolic. BTW, in case it is confusing that is defending technology in a reasonable sense, not Disney. If your Mercedes Benz breaks down is it because the owner has gone the cheap route?
or the jungle cruise which was prob somebody leaving a drain plug out

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom