Skyliner down at EP tonight. Crash?

UNCgolf

I mean…you don’t hear about every bus accident. And are we counting each gondola? Lots of miles.

I think the bigger issue is that it brings the entire service to a halt when it does crash. When a Disney bus crashes, it's only the guests on that particular bus that are inconvenienced as opposed to everyone on the entire bus system.

The monorail does have a similar problem, although I don't know how the overall reliability compares. It really only becomes a major problem if it's the only mode of transportation, which won't ever happen.

As for being melodramatic -- I didn't watch the video because I don't care, so maybe the video itself was ridiculous. Someone having a panic attack trapped on the Skyliner is a realistic possibility, though, and not melodramatic at all. Anyone who's claustrophobic or acrophobic could have a serious problem stuck there for relatively long periods of time.

Last edited:

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
As for being melodramatic -- I didn't watch the video because I don't care, so maybe the video itself was ridiculous. Someone having a panic attack trapped on the Skyliner is a realistic possibility, though, and not melodramatic at all. Anyone who's claustrophobic or acrophobic could have a serious problem stuck there for relatively long periods of time.
Cleithrophobia is fear of being trapped and is usually more apt here. It's the uncertainty of knowing when one will be free that triggers the anxiety. It gets me sometimes on rides too when stuck on a vehicle or in a show room. For example Rise has a few things like the first show room, shuttle transport, and interrogation room that sometimes get backed up when group ahead is slow or part of the attraction breaks down.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
Kelly/Karen appears to have been pacified with water, a free umbrella, a gift card, and possibly free admission to Epcot.
87951D0A-153C-44CB-84AD-A5DD27178F48.jpeg

GimpYancIent

Seriously though, these things do have to seem a disturbing habit of crashing into one another...
True such incidents do not help perceptions about safety, but, I do not know of any mode of transportation that does not have periodic issues yet don't get the social media coverage of Disney transportation.

UNCgolf

Cleithrophobia is fear of being trapped and is usually more apt here. It's the uncertainty of knowing when one will be free that triggers the anxiety. It gets me sometimes on rides too when stuck on a vehicle or in a show room. For example Rise has a few things like the first show room, shuttle transport, and interrogation room that sometimes get backed up when group ahead is slow or part of the attraction breaks down.

That's another applicable one. I'm acrophobic, though, and while I don't like the Skyliner in general -- much prefer the buses and have no plans to ever stay at a Skyliner resort since they expect you to use it to get around -- I can ride it when I know it's going to be a 5-10 minute trip. If I was actually stuck up there for an indefinite period of time, I would get very anxious very fast.

Parker in NYC

True such incidents do not help perceptions about safety, but, I do not know of any mode of transportation that does not have periodic issues yet don't get the social media coverage of Disney transportation.
People are going to ride it, it isn't going anywhere, but surely I'm no longer defending a cheaply constructed mode of transport in this, the age of DVC over Party. I mean, After Hours over Party. Disney over.... easy.

NelsonRD

So do buses. And cars. And boats.

Are you trying to compare a fixed-track automated transportation system, to human driven traffic?

If a horse falls off the carousel, are you going to suggest horses get loose in the wild too?

The number of incidents seems high to me for the skyliner, but I have no metrics to compare to when the system was purchased of how many times gondolas can acceptably crash into each other per year.

Parker in NYC

You'd think the "premier" resort in the entire world could figure this out.
The premier resort that used to be WDW would never have built this monstrosity.

Are you trying to compare a fixed-track automated transportation system, to human driven traffic?

If a horse falls off the carousel, are you going to suggest horses get loose in the wild too?

The number of incidents seems high to me for the skyliner, but I have no metrics to compare to when the system was purchased of how many times gondolas can acceptably crash into each other per year.
In my 35 years of traveling to Disney, I haven't once been stuck on any of Disney's modes of transport. Save for Rise of the Resistance, but then, that's new and they no longer know how to build things properly. Or at least, they do, and the suits won't pay for it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom