Skull Island: Reign of Kong from construction to opening

Stefan8

so the ride vehicle will actually enter through the gate!? Then where is the Queue located!?
I'm not sure how literal to take that concept art.

It all looks and sounds cool. Hopefully they'll find a good balance between the use of screens and actual sets, props, animatronics, et cetera.

Mike C

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2015/...-at-universals-islands-adventure-next-summer/

Another article about it with some more quotes describing it, trackless. Another article mentioned its not all 3d, it may have a portion of it where you put on glasses, but not for the majority of it. 2/3 of it will be set based, only about 1/3 screen based.

"Riding in the largest vehicle ever created for this type of attraction by Universal—an oversized 72-seat truck-- guests will enter the multi-faceted trip through a 70-foot high wall into the depths of Kong’s jungle. Though West wouldn’t give exact specifications on the size of the attraction, he noted that it will contain indoor and outdoor segments and is gearing up to be one of the biggest facilities ever built by the entertainment giant.

“I don’t know the total time from start to finish, but I do know it will be one of the longest rides we’ve every done,” West says."

72 seat truck seems huge.

Mike S

Original Poster
http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2015/...-at-universals-islands-adventure-next-summer/

Another article about it with some more quotes describing it, trackless. Another article mentioned its not all 3d, it may have a portion of it where you put on glasses, but not for the majority of it. 2/3 of it will be set based, only about 1/3 screen based.

"Riding in the largest vehicle ever created for this type of attraction by Universal—an oversized 72-seat truck-- guests will enter the multi-faceted trip through a 70-foot high wall into the depths of Kong’s jungle. Though West wouldn’t give exact specifications on the size of the attraction, he noted that it will contain indoor and outdoor segments and is gearing up to be one of the biggest facilities ever built by the entertainment giant.

“I don’t know the total time from start to finish, but I do know it will be one of the longest rides we’ve every done,” West says."

From the article, "Like the popular Jaws attraction that can be found at neighboring Universal Studios Orlando, Skull Island: Reign of Kong is designed to bring riders into their own version of the movie." They do know Jaws closed for Diagon Alley right? They also mention King Kong 360 3D but in a way that makes it sound like it's in Orlando with no mention of the fact it's in Hollywood. Someone didn't do the proper research.

AliciaStella

Video with clips:

Here's some screenshots from the video along with a couple images on the site:

kong_spider.jpg

kong_dinos.jpg

kong_trex1.jpg

kong_trex2.jpg

kong_eyes.jpg

kong-featured-900x563.jpg

340-poster-blog.jpg

Even though there is a T. rex battle, it looks like a completely new version, separate from the Hollywood 360 version. This pleases me.

And to answer that question... The queue is on the front-right side of the building. The car will be loaded inside, but then travel outside for one scene before re-entering through the massive gate. In the case of bad weather the outdoor scene can be skipped automatically by the ride system, keeping the vehicle inside the entire time.

LieutLaww

Hello There
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Nice pics :D but I dont think they are for this new ride, they look like stuff i have seen for the Kong 3D at Hollywood ?

JediMasterMatt

I wonder what time I'll need to wake up to guarantee FastPass+ reservations for this attraction?

Looking forward to the merch. Hopefully there will be the furry gorilla hoodie of my dreams to keep me warm on our winter trips to Orlando (which I'm going to bypass this coming year to go back to DLR instead). Since WDW is going to continue to wait on Star Wars land, my wookie hoodie dreams have been replaced.

f000_chewie_costume_hoodie.jpg

Rider

Sounds like the Safaris at AK.

Looks pretty cool overall.

BrerJon

I think the faux 3D stuff sounds great. Instead of everyone having to wear glasses, invent a kind of multiplane camera effect of having different shaped screens at different depths, mixed with real props and set pieces, to create the illusion of a 3D world.

I'm so impressed that Universal hasn't just cloned Hollywood's attraction, but has tried to come up with something genuinely original that you won't find anywhere else.

That's the third one in recent years - Forbidden Journey, Gringotts and now Kong, where - even after information leaks out - the ride systems are so innovative that you can't really imagine what it's going to be like until you actually ride it.

tribbleorlfl

Though we don't have that much to go by, I will admit it does look cooler than I was imagining. It's just a shame they're wasting an innovative ride system and experience on a Kong theme and not utilizing it for JP.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
From the article, "Like the popular Jaws attraction that can be found at neighboring Universal Studios Orlando, Skull Island: Reign of Kong is designed to bring riders into their own version of the movie." They do know Jaws closed for Diagon Alley right? They also mention King Kong 360 3D but in a way that makes it sound like it's in Orlando with no mention of the fact it's in Hollywood. Someone didn't do the proper research.
How could you say that about Fox News? ;)

JT3000

It's Fox News, they lack experience when it comes to actually informing people. Maybe you could just ask for their opinion instead.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom