Skull Island: Reign of Kong from construction to opening

Timekeeper

Looks like a very worthy addition to Universal. Another ride that innovates and pushes the boundaries.
That said... can we PLEASE stop [removed by @Timekeeper due to spoiler]

As this thread title suggests, please "use spoiler tags." It sounds like you're describing a key moment in the plot of the attraction, and one that may be intended to be a "surprise" (just as it is in the similar examples that you provided).

Being that the attraction isn't even officially open yet, just a friendly reminder to please use spoiler tags when referencing something like that.

Last edited:

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
As this thread title suggests, please "use spoiler tags." It sounds like you're describing a key moment in the plot of the attraction, and one that may be intended to be a "surprise" (just as it is in the similar examples that you provided).

Being that the attraction isn't even officially open yet, just a friendly reminder to please use spoiler tags when referencing something like that.
You are absolutely correct. I adjusted my post, so, in turn, you should adjust yours to hide what you quoted from mine. ;) @Disneyhead'71 as well.

Daveeeeed

No doubt this is a great addition for the average park goer, as any high tech ride is, especially non thrill rides. The problem though for me are screens... My dad for instance can do roller coasters, but he got sick for the entire day by riding Minions, recently we went on Ratatouille which is not thrilling at all and he got a bit sick too. My cousin is the same way, but can ride roller coasters. By no means do I want Universal to cater every ride to everyone, but this is getting ridiculous. Disney has only a few rides with screens, most notably Star Tours, Toy Story Midway Mania, Soarin', and Ratatouille (which imho is as good if not better than Transformers even though it has no thrill) spread across three parks (One being Walt Disney Studios in Paris so if you remove this only 2). Universal has Both HP's, Transformers, Spider-Man, Simpsons, and Minion Mayhem in two parks. Double of what Dsieny has in WDW. (Flight of Pasage and Kong still make it pretty even in that note). I have no problem with both Harry Potter rides, Transformers and Spider-Man, but this is getting crazy. The only good thing about this entire ride, including the story is the Kong animatronic like holy cow. The queue doesn't even count imo because that is not what makes something a good ride, it makes it a fantastic ride. This is not even a good ride. The vehicles are so boring just to eat people up. Still it is a good addition thematically, but it won't be able to hold lines like Transformers in the long run. Imagine how cool it could've been if they dropped the screens except for the battle between trex and Kong. They could've of used aa's, created forests, caves, and even have some 3D elements hidden my mixed in. Wish it would've given me a reason to go back for Thanksgiving, but it is just not worth it. And that concludes my rant:hilarious:

Last edited:

gmajew

The new Pirates did an amazing job of what you can do with screens and sets... this appears to be as good. Screens like it or not are know part of the new theme parks and are not going anywhere.

The ride looks great well done and a great addition. I will ride it in 10 days and find out first hand what it really is on my ranking.... Right now after watching I am excited to go on it.

Daveeeeed

The new Pirates did an amazing job of what you can do with screens and sets... this appears to be as good. Screens like it or not are know part of the new theme parks and are not going anywhere.

The ride looks great well done and a great addition. I will ride it in 10 days and find out first hand what it really is on my ranking.... Right now after watching I am excited to go on it.
This did that horribly. Pirates combined them.this did not.

sedati

How similar is Fast and Furious (aside from theme) going to be to this? From what I've seen, assuming it will be mostly a port of the Hollywood tram ride, it will use nearly identical mechanics.

rufio

Imagine how cool it could've been if they dropped the screens except for the battle between trex and Kong. They could've of used aa's, created forests, caves, and even have some 3D elements hidden my mixed in.

YES! This so much!! I get sick with screens/simulators too and this is so disappointing! Ellen's Energy Adventure comes immediately to mind and that ride is OLD but the environment they created is incredible. To watch it on a screen is just boring, in my opinion. I could do that by watching the movie at home. :/

dweezil78

No joke. Universal has dominated with innovation in both rides and queues the past 6 years- and the domination isn't even close. This Kong ride is no different from everything I've heard from anyone who has actually been on it. They've literally rewritten to book and made the blueprint of how to make new attractions and $ on said attractions and Disney has copied that formula completely.
If you don't like screens- then start going to cedar fair, six flags, and kings dominion. Because screens are the future- now as @Mike S said- Shhhhh

Wow... and I thought the Disney people were full of Kool-aid. You all realize 'they' are the same people as Disney, right (aside from the top execs)? These people all bounce back and forth between gigs and go wherever the $$$ is. Mike West is literally a former Imagineer who worked on a screen-based ride at Disney back in the 80s. (it was called Star Tours)

Bairstow

No joke. Universal has dominated with innovation in both rides and queues the past 6 years- and the domination isn't even close.

So is the Potter/Radiator Springs Racers comparison "not even close?"

They've literally rewritten to book and made the blueprint of how to make new attractions and $ on said attractions and Disney has copied that formula completely.

Well that's definitely true.
Carsland is proof enough of that.

dweezil78

Right. Its amazing how the approval of top execs and a proper budget and building timeline can create innovation. I don't think I have to tell you that a proper environment lends to innovation greatly. The problem has never been Disney's Imagineers- look no futher than Shanghai Pirates. Its the cost-cutting, timing overruns, and trimming down of original plans that truly takes something incredible and just makes an average attraction. Hence- 7DMT and Little Mermaid. I don't hate either- but neither are innovating or at least incredible- when originally, they could have been.
Who would spur you to have more innovation? Tom Williams/Bill Davis or Bob Chapek? I rest my case.

To bring it back to Kong- this is just another example of an attraction that was slated to have a "summer 2016" opening a year ago- was done within budget, was done on time (didn't have to move from spring to summer to fall- or do it the last day of summer), and as it looks to be- no expense sparred- even employing scare actors to make the queue more thematic. Credit where it's due.

Will absolutely give them credit for doing a nice job here, not disputing that. But everyone's biggest praise seems to be that they made this quickly and on time which is a weird thing to harp on and is something your average guest isn't going to care about. Also, not to take anything away from what looks like a fun attraction, but it's a 6 year old attraction combined with an updated AA from one that's 25+ years old and some well done jungle theming. What exactly is the innovation on this one?

And while I'll give them credit for the ride vehicle, let's be honest... that was done more out of necessity to navigate a tight cramped show building and is nothing that is really additive to the experience itself.

I know I sound like a negative nancy here, not my intention... I am an IOA fanboy and still think very little has come close to matching the magic of Spidey. I guess I just don't really 'get' the drool over Kong?

A foolish mortal

I was truly expecting (or at least hoping for) more dark ride elements, throughout the ride, than simulator and screen elements.. but still it looks really amazing! And the queue looks awesome as well! I cant wait to ride it :D

ctxak98

this is coming from someone with OCD... ctxak98 yours is out of control.
friggin relax man.
If you go back and read my original post, I'm perfectly fine with the ride. I think it looks amazing and will be very fun! I was just stating my opinion on one portion of the attraction. It turned into a debate but overall I am very relaxed! Thanks for the advice! Lol

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom