Sizing up WDW t-shirts

Mikester71

Original Poster
Anybody else find WDW shirts to be a tad smaller than regular store sizes??? I usually buy my t-shirts size large as I don't like the feel of a baggy shirt on me (personal preference). I LOVE the new retro t-shirts I keep seeing on here, but am scared to buy one next trip only to get home and wash it and find it fits a bit tighter than it did down in the parks. The reason I say this is that the large shirts I bought down in WDW the last couple of trips seem to really fit snug now compared to how my other non-WDW t-shirts fit. I know I have put on a few pounds since then, but like I said, my other shirts still feel fine. :ROFLOL:I know the sensible thing would be to just bite the bullet and buy x-large next trip, but the one x-large shirt I bought in the ToT store on our first trip back in 2005 I never wear because it almost looks like I am wearing a night shirt instead of a t-shirt.

So I guess I am just wondering if WDW sizes are consistent throughout the parks and how you would compare them to store sizes when it comes to sizing them. :shrug: For the record, I am a 39 year old male about 6 feet tall and probably around the 200lb mark. :lookaroun

JohnLocke

I may be wrong, but some of the material Disney uses for shirts seems to be a bit cheaper and shrinks a little easier after repeated washing and drying. I think it's a little safer to get a larger size and let it shrink up over time.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
This seems to be a change over the last year or two. My typical t-shirt size is XL but the last few shirts I have gotten from WDW have been a little on the snug side especially after the first wash. The last shirt I got was the passholder shirt from SWW and I got an XXL and it fits fine.

sweetpee_1993

The tees shrink bad! My hubby is tall and has to buy a size up to compensate. I hate the crappy quality. I got a tee a few years ago that I washed once and the sleeve came totally apart. Rather shocking for a $30 tee.

love disney

I guess I am a lucky one. I have found the shirts I have purchased to be right on in terms of size, and I always wash them in cold water in the gentle cycle and dry on low heat and haven't had them shrink up...guess I should knock on wood right about now huh?

David S.

Anybody else find WDW shirts to be a tad smaller than regular store sizes??? I usually buy my t-shirts size large as I don't like the feel of a baggy shirt on me (personal preference). I LOVE the new retro t-shirts I keep seeing on here, but am scared to buy one next trip only to get home and wash it and find it fits a bit tighter than it did down in the parks. The reason I say this is that the large shirts I bought down in WDW the last couple of trips seem to really fit snug now compared to how my other non-WDW t-shirts fit. I know I have put on a few pounds since then, but like I said, my other shirts still feel fine. :ROFLOL:I know the sensible thing would be to just bite the bullet and buy x-large next trip, but the one x-large shirt I bought in the ToT store on our first trip back in 2005 I never wear because it almost looks like I am wearing a night shirt instead of a t-shirt.

So I guess I am just wondering if WDW sizes are consistent throughout the parks and how you would compare them to store sizes when it comes to sizing them. :shrug: For the record, I am a 39 year old male about 6 feet tall and probably around the 200lb mark. :lookaroun

Yes, they seem to run a little smaller than other shirts I have. I'm about the same height as you but I weigh less than average for my height because of my high metabolism and small appetite. But I buy 3XL when available because I always prefer my clothes to be both long and baggy. Unfortunately, the store-bought shirts don't always go up to 3XL, and 2XL seems to sell out quickly, so sometimes I have to settle for just XL. But even that is too short and tight for my tastes. 3XL is my ideal size, and I can get that for the shirts I make at Design A Tee at Downtown Disney. But those seem to have shrunk a little, even though I never put them in the dryer, so I am thinking of moving up to 4XL with the next batch I make!

New2WDW

We have noticed this as well. Especially when we bought MNSSHP t-shirts a few years ago and wearing them the next day noticed how tight/smaller they were even though we purchased our normal sizes. :veryconfu It worked out ok as I handed down mine to my wife, my wife handed hers down to my oldest daughter and so on. So I was out a shirt...:brick:

Mikester71

Original Poster
May just follow your advice guys/gals and buy the next size up next trip (XL). It really is frustrating when you find a nice shirt and buy it only to have it shrink right up on you after the first wash. I bought a couple of nice POTC t-shirts last trip that I absolutely LOVE, but they not only seemed to become tighter after the first wash, they looked and felt like they actually became shorter too. I still wear them, but boy do they ever make me want to drop a few pounds (which isn't necessarily a bad thing)! :ROFLOL:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
May just follow your advice guys/gals and buy the next size up next trip (XL). It really is frustrating when you find a nice shirt and buy it only to have it shrink right up on you after the first wash. I bought a couple of nice POTC t-shirts last trip that I absolutely LOVE, but they not only seemed to become tighter after the first wash, they looked and felt like they actually became shorter too. I still wear them, but boy do they ever make me want to drop a few pounds (which isn't necessarily a bad thing)! :ROFLOL:
I feel your pain. I bought several retro epcot t's when the first cam out. They are now sleeping shirts for my 9 year old daughter.

Pioneer Hall

They most certainly do run small. I usually wear a medium shirt and find them to be small on me when I get them from WDW. However, the large tend to be too big. Needless to say, Disney hasn't gotten much in the way of T-shirt money from me lately since I dropped from a large to a medium.

cdunbar

I bought an organic t-shirt at Disneyland back in July and I bought it in my normal size because it sold it as a pre-shrunk organic cotton shirt. Well, I guess their definition of pre-shrunk and mine are two different interpretations, because it shrunk upwards when I washed it at home. So now it still fits but I have to wear a cami under it if I wear it to work, especially if it's a shelving day, or else I show my mid section and get in trouble. :lol:

MattyFresh

I would maybe do this shirt by shirt. I did buy one shirt at WOD and went a size up to compensate, well it never shrank. So it is huge on me, mainly wear it around the house. But all other shirts I have bought, shrunk like crazy. I was rather upset about it. But I guess I have learned for next time!

rsoxguy

I have several WDW items that have failed the test of time. However, while I agree with the cheap quality of Disney's overpriced t-shirts, I don't understand all of this washer/dryer/laundry talk. I just place my soiled clothing in the magic hamper, and within days they are returned to me, all clean and folded, by my loving wife. "Thanks for getting these from the magic hamper" I say with a smile, as she says "whatever, loser" and walks away. I always enjoy the little catch phrases she uses to say " I love you honey".

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I have several WDW items that have failed the test of time. However, while I agree with the cheap quality of Disney's overpriced t-shirts, I don't understand all of this washer/dryer/laundry talk. I just place my soiled clothing in the magic hamper, and within days they are returned to me, all clean and folded, by my loving wife. "Thanks for getting these from the magic hamper" I say with a smile, as she says "whatever, loser" and walks away. I always enjoy the little catch phrases she uses to say " I love you honey".
Oh how I miss the days of the magic hamper. I called mine mom.

Tooning

Yes i definately find that. This happened with a Donald Duck shirt that I absolutely love . Now I buy 1 or sometimes even 2(I don't mind baggy) sizes bigger to compensate

muteki

The retro shirts run a bit smaller in general to fit the "style", and will shrink like crazy if you wash with warm water or dry on high heat. It depends a lot on the material though, the thicker "standard" t-shirt material won't shrink as bad, and should be more prevalent elsewhere on property. Its just the thinner, softer material used in the retro shirts that really is susceptible to shrinking. Best to be safe and always wash with cold and dry on low.

MSU Jafar

Totally agree, I bought a Mr. Toads Wild Ride t-shirt size XL, it fits more like a medium. I have to lose some lbs. if I ever want to wear it again!

EvilQueen-T

i find the same problem with the adult shirts running small...makes me feel like i've gained a bunch of weight from all the dining plan eating lol. but if you ever buy childrens sizes online at the disney store watch out...a childs small or extra small can be as expected up to almost an adult xs/s. i purchased a bunch of tshirts for my granddaughter when they were on sale and the sizes were wildly different. frustrating.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom