Sign of free dining plans to come?

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Wonderful post! Who pays thousands of dollars to go to WDW only to have a chip on their shoulder about the perceived problems with dining at WDW?

If I pay over a thousand dollars for food I expect my chips on a plate, but would prefer to have a greater choice of potato styles.

As I say, standards and expectations.

kenny_davis_sr

dining plan thought

:) My family just returned from our first WDW stay. Pardon me I am new to this forum. Anyway the stay was awesome. We had the basic dining plan and found I could do without the snacks which get used up too fast. I think the fair thing might be to go to 1 counter meal and 1 table service meal plan. We found that breakfast was the least expensive of the meals which we ate our resort for convenience and plan your lunch and dinner by park.

NewfieFan

I think 180 adr's is a major problem. I wish it was more like 7 days, I think that would be fair. Last year I made all my reservations early but when we got down to WDW the weather really messed up our plans. Basically all my reservations had to be altered or cancelled. At least with a week out I can kinda know what the weather will be like and plan accordingly. Also trying to get my wife to make decisions 4 months out about eating seriously ticks her off. Her view is why do we have to make these decisions so far out. I tell her its because there are freaks like me who are constantly thinking about there trip and love having everything planned out. I miss those days of my dad waking up early and running like a mad man through epcot to get our dinner reservations. Dinner tasted better when you had to earn your seat:lol:. Seriously though, 7 days is a happy medium for both types of traveler: the planner and the fly by the seat of your pants traveler. I think this change would serve Disney well and make a better experience for everyone.

Dinner should still taste just as good - you still have to earn your seat - now you have to get up early and run like a mad man through the house... to get to the phone on the 180 day mark!:animwink:

abe_bb

The wife and I are planning our next trip in Sept 09, with our two daughters (15 months and 9 years) - we were going to go again this year but the little suprise caught us off guard :) decided not to go with a 3 month old.

For the first time, we have enough to stay at a Deluxe if we choose to - and frankly this may swing our vote in that direction. Although if you are paying for a deluxe, they should include the wine option for free <_< hehe.

Figuring it out cash-wise - if we ate one meal per day at a sit down, and paid cash for it, at the places and times we normally do (including some character buffets and such that are under the dining plan last time i chekced), staying at a deluxe w/ free dining isn't substantially more, since one good meal a day is about 70 bucks extra per day right there.

So this may put us in a position to stay at, say, Contemperary instead of Riverside (Blasphemy, i know, but ...).

Could we just eat at Counter Service? Yes. We could. But the character meals alone... our eldest loves them. It's the only time she will let a character near her, if they are out in the park she gets frightened. (Yes, she is special needs).

imamouse

:) My family just returned from our first WDW stay. Pardon me I am new to this forum. Anyway the stay was awesome. We had the basic dining plan and found I could do without the snacks which get used up too fast. I think the fair thing might be to go to 1 counter meal and 1 table service meal plan. We found that breakfast was the least expensive of the meals which we ate our resort for convenience and plan your lunch and dinner by park.

Welcome to WDWmagic :wave:.

The only time I used the DDP, I saved my snack credit for breakfast (usually a yogurt parfait from the grab and go section of any resort). Friends of mine used their snack credit for the big cinnamon buns at MK on their way out in the evening and ate them the next morning for breakfast. There are ways to make the snack serve as your breakfast, in effect getting three meals for the DDP.

Lucky

:veryconfu

Lucky

According to mousesavers.com, UK vacationers are being offered a tiered approach to Aug-Sept 2009 dining plans. It looks like they are no longer offering the free plan for values, you'll get Quick Service at Moderates and Regular Dining for Deluxe. I'd guess that is what they are going to do next year for "Free dining period" for US residents.

http://www.mousesavers.com/ukvisitors.html

Current UK-Specific Discount Offers

Enjoy a Disney Dining Plan at no cost for your 2009 holiday!

Book five nights or more at a selected Disney Resort for arrivals between 2nd August - 3rd October 2009, and you'll receive FREE dining for the duration of your stay for everyone in your party. (Note: this is the very slowest season at Walt Disney World due to school schedules, heat/humidity and peak hurricane season.)
I haven't read everything in this thread, but the bounceback offer we received in our resort room last week offered the regular dining plan for free for 8/23/09 through 10/01/09. (The package must be booked by midnight on the day you check out.) The flyer listed prices only for deluxe and moderate, but the CM I booked with said it also covered values. I booked a moderate. I spoke to 2 different CMs, to be sure I was not being misinformed. But it was pretty clear anyway from the flyer that it was the same dining plan offered at mods and deluxe, because the price savings quoted was the same for both.

If free dining is offered to all next April, as in the past few years, it might look like the bounceback, or it might look like the one you describe, or something else. We probably won't know until April.

minnie61650

I haven't read everything in this thread, but the bounceback offer we received in our resort room last week offered the regular dining plan for free for 8/23/09 through 10/01/09. (The package must be booked by midnight on the day you check out.) The flyer listed prices only for deluxe and moderate, but the CM I booked with said it also covered values. I booked a moderate. I spoke to 2 different CMs, to be sure I was not being misinformed. But it was pretty clear anyway from the flyer that it was the same dining plan offered at mods and deluxe, because the price savings quoted was the same for both.

If free dining is offered to all next April, as in the past few years, it might look like the bounceback, or it might look like the one you describe, or something else. We probably won't know until April.

Here is a photo of flyer:

Bouncebackoffer.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom