Sign of free dining plans to come?

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Actually yes for those that purchased the
Disney's
Dream Maker™ Plan. I would say not typical for People that didn't purchase the add-on plan.

Would you say that the amount of guests utilising this service was in anyway comparable with the current options take up?

I dont recall it being discussed in any great detail on here, or for that matter being offered by the UK travel companies as an option.

But then I think I get where your coming from.

Computer Magic

Would you say that the amount of guests utilising this service was in anyway comparable with the current options take up?

I dont recall it being discussed in any great detail on here, or for that matter being offered by the UK travel companies as an option.

But then I think I get where your coming from.
Pre-2005 I never had any problems receiving ADR up to 30 days before leaving. I even changed ADR onsite a few times. I wonder if this is because more Non-Disney restraurants were offered back then. It is not cost effective for Non-Disney to do today's plan, at least that is what I remember reading. Also some "Magical Wishes" were used for other things, it was NOT just a dining plan. I also wonder if WDW is more crowded since 2005. I do notice a difference between the two plans for ADR, but I'm comparing the "free" dining". I didn't get Le Cellier for this trip, however keep in mind the free dining plan was offered at the 90 day mark. That is when I booked my trip

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Pre-2005 I never had any problems receiving ADR up to 30 days before leaving. I even changed ADR onsite a few times. I wonder if this is because more Non-Disney restraurants were offered back then. It is not cost effective for Non-Disney to do today's plan, at least that is what I remember reading. Also some "Magical Wishes" were used for other things, it was NOT just a dining plan. I also wonder if WDW is more crowded since 2005. I do notice a difference between the two plans for ADR, but I'm comparing the "free" dining". I didn't get Le Cellier for this trip, however keep in mind the free dining plan was offered at the 90 day mark. That is when I booked my trip

Ill be honest Ive never had an issue with having to make ressies, one trip without planning and disappointed kids as a result, is a good lesson. The cost of a call to get what you want is not too much to pay.

But the homogenised menus are very underwhelming and the main source of my ongoing gripe.

Computer Magic

Ill be honest Ive never had an issue with having to make ressies, one trip without planning and disappointed kids as a result, is a good lesson. The cost of a call to get what you want is not too much to pay.

But the homogenised menus are very underwhelming and the main source of my ongoing gripe.
I started making ADR after my honeymoon trip in 1995. One night, we couldn't find a place to eat and we ended up at DTD, some small Pizza Place where we sat on a curb eating $10 piece of pizza. ADR isn't that big of deal

I can't speak for homogenised menus since our last trip was Sept 2006. It didn't seem bad then. I'll report back my findings in 30 days. However, I do agree the dining plan is becoming watered down. Disney is good with hooking you and then start taking away little by little...

Eyorefan

Honestly with all the cute backs Disney is making these days, I'm not sure the down graded menus (espically the kid's menu) is a product of the dinning plan. I think Dinsey is just cheap. Its probably cheaper to prepare the same foods in all their resturants so that is what they do. Buy cheaper food and sell it at a higher price.

Computer Magic

Honestly with all the cute backs Disney is making these days, I'm not sure the down graded menus (espically the kid's menu) is a product of the dinning plan. I think Dinsey is just cheap. Its probably cheaper to prepare the same foods in all their resturants so that is what they do. Buy cheaper food and sell it at a higher price.
I really think that is true....

DivineMadness7

I just did up the numbers, and this is what I came up with for my Family. 2 Adults 1 child at 7 no bells or wilsels
Value to Moderate it is a difference of $47.92
Moderate to Deluxe it is a difference of $91.28

Thanks! So basically, if you had 2 adults who would originally stay at a Value and buy the dining plan (at almost $40 per person) they could get the dining plan for free along with a resort upgrade for the cost of one person's plan per day. Ok, I'm not sure that made sense, but I'm not sure how to properly word that :confused:

In basic terms, it would be cheaper to stay at a moderate and get the dining plan for free than to stay at a Value and pay for the dining plan. So it's an incentive for people who would get the dining plan regardless to stay at a moderate (or deluxe) and fill up those rooms.

Here's a question though, for people who split their stay between resorts, what will they do? If you stay 4 days at Pop and 4 days at POR, are you only going to get free dining for 4 days?

DiPSU224

Other than the filet's that were mentioned in another thread, what other cut-backs have been made in some of the restaurants? Is it only in the signature restaurants or all of them in general? I haven't been since May of last year so I haven't experienced the down graded menus yet.

DivineMadness7

I agree with most of the comments here, but I don't understand Disney's logic. The free dining is to help fill rooms during a slow period. I don't see how this plan will do that. If they had done the Quick Service with values, Moderate with regular dining, it would have made more sense to me. Clearly, they think they can fill the values using some other promotion. We shall see.
I do think free dining was to fill up the rooms but I also think free dining was to get frequent travelers familiar with the dining plan, get them to like it so that on return trips, they would purchase it at full price. Actual "slow" periods are rare at WDW. Sure, there are "slower" periods but in our experience, traveling during the off-season now compared to 10 years ago, we see a huge difference. WDW seems to have mostly recovered from the post-9/11 tourism drop. Maybe filling the rooms isn't such a concern now, specifically the Value resorts. This promo will still fill rooms, just at a higher price.

Plus it was less food, which was a good thing because I was waisting.
Sorry, I don't usually like to call people out on spelling/grammar, but this one was too "punny" to pass up! :ROFLOL:

RiversideBunny

It was reported on here that some of the buffets have deleted the prime rib and substituted a lesser type of beef.
Some people may have comments on the kids' meals; there seems to be something going on there.

WDW isn't totally free to raise prices in reaction to increased food costs, due in large part to the fixed and advertised price for the dining plan that is made so far ahead of time. Instead they seem to have to make adjustments by varying some of the food items.

We've noticed that both chicken and beef are higher now at home in the super market. Same thing is probably happening to WDW restaurants at the wholesale level.

:king:

Computer Magic

Sorry, I don't usually like to call people out on spelling/grammar, but this one was too "punny" to pass up! :ROFLOL:
:ROFLOL:Yeah, when I reread my post I saw the error of my ways...but I thought it was to good to change. I expected a certain duck lover to come in and correct me....:ROFLOL:

Ausdaddy

I do think free dining was to fill up the rooms but I also think free dining was to get frequent travelers familiar with the dining plan, get them to like it so that on return trips, they would purchase it at full price. Actual "slow" periods are rare at WDW. Sure, there are "slower" periods but in our experience, traveling during the off-season now compared to 10 years ago, we see a huge difference. WDW seems to have mostly recovered from the post-9/11 tourism drop. Maybe filling the rooms isn't such a concern now, specifically the Value resorts. This promo will still fill rooms, just at a higher price.

Agree about slow times. You have to be lucky to catch a slow day anymore. If Disney's plan was to get people familiar with the Dining Plan it's going to backfire. You get people familiar with the plan and then keep taking value away every year, it's not going to go over well. Pretty soon, the plan will have no value (I would argue the QS plan doesn't have value now) other than that it's prepaid.

DivineMadness7

Agree about slow times. You have to be lucky to catch a slow day anymore. If Disney's plan was to get people familiar with the Dining Plan it's going to backfire. You get people familiar with the plan and then keep taking value away every year, it's not going to go over well. Pretty soon, the plan will have no value (I would argue the QS plan doesn't have value now) other than that it's prepaid.

If those people only travel during the traditional free dining periods, then yes. I guess I meant something like a family who traveled during Sept, got free dining and then planned a trip for sometime in the Spring. They'd think "the dining was so convenient and a value" so they would purchase it at full price for a trip outside of the free dining period.

My family will be using the dining plan for the 1st time on our mid-October trip. We never chose it before because of the ADR planning required, the fact that we usually only eat at 2 or 3 sit down restaurants on an average week long trip and that it seemed like too much food. We just decided we would try the plan to see if we like it because we've heard so many people rave about it. Word of mouth advertising works that way.

We're also traveling with a family of first-timers who wanted to do the dining plan on the convenience factor alone. They wanted to pay ahead and have a budget (with 4 kids that is important!) So we also chose to do it in order to make things easier for everyone.

I think people have a tendency to assume Disney is being cheap. That might be part of it, but people too often forget that Disney is a BUSINESS. Sure, we choose their service for a reason and when they do things like cut back on quality, we're going to notice. But would we rather they don't make the cut backs and go out of business? Personally, I do not, I want to be able to take my kids and kids' kids there someday. EVERYTHING at WDW is expensive. But we pay it because the experience there is matched by none. I understand when people are upset when a favorite ride closes, but to complain when a promotion, which was never a guarantee or a promise, is cut-back....I dunno, it just seems like there are bigger fish to fry :shrug:

Ausdaddy

If those people only travel during the traditional free dining periods, then yes. I guess I meant something like a family who traveled during Sept, got free dining and then planned a trip for sometime in the Spring. They'd think "the dining was so convenient and a value" so they would purchase it at full price for a trip outside of the free dining period.

My family will be using the dining plan for the 1st time on our mid-October trip. We never chose it before because of the ADR planning required, the fact that we usually only eat at 2 or 3 sit down restaurants on an average week long trip and that it seemed like too much food. We just decided we would try the plan to see if we like it because we've heard so many people rave about it. Word of mouth advertising works that way.

We're also traveling with a family of first-timers who wanted to do the dining plan on the convenience factor alone. They wanted to pay ahead and have a budget (with 4 kids that is important!) So we also chose to do it in order to make things easier for everyone.

I think people have a tendency to assume Disney is being cheap. That might be part of it, but people too often forget that Disney is a BUSINESS. Sure, we choose their service for a reason and when they do things like cut back on quality, we're going to notice. But would we rather they don't make the cut backs and go out of business? Personally, I do not, I want to be able to take my kids and kids' kids there someday. EVERYTHING at WDW is expensive. But we pay it because the experience there is matched by none. I understand when people are upset when a favorite ride closes, but to complain when a promotion, which was never a guarantee or a promise, is cut-back....I dunno, it just seems like there are bigger fish to fry :shrug:

Actually, I was referring to the same scenario as you. For example, a family came for free dining in 2007. Then they return in 2008 and buy the dining plan only to find that they have to pay tips and can't order the appetizer anymore. If they book it again in 2009, they will be paying more than 2008 with significantly less options (No filet, prime rib, etc.). After that, it's very questionable that they would continue to see the value. Those who come every year for free dining can't really complain. I just don't see how the 2009 iteration of free dining is going to have the same draw.

MickeyspalJim

Love the DDP, Love Making ADR's far in advance, Never had a problem with any meals at any Disney Rest. as of yet over the last 4 years. Must just be Us. Hmmmm For those Who feel the pressure of a timed dinner, just call and cancel if You feel that type of pressure any day of Your vacation. "There's no stressing in Disney":ROFLOL:

DivineMadness7

Actually, I was referring to the same scenario as you. For example, a family came for free dining in 2007. Then they return in 2008 and buy the dining plan only to find that they have to pay tips and can't order the appetizer anymore. If they book it again in 2009, they will be paying more than 2008 with significantly less options (No filet, prime rib, etc.). After that, it's very questionable that they would continue to see the value. Those who come every year for free dining can't really complain. I just don't see how the 2009 iteration of free dining is going to have the same draw.

Sorry, I must have misunderstood. I agree it won't be as much of a draw but I was thinking maybe Disney isn't concerned about that now that their bookings seem to have gone back up. Of course, free dining is going to draw more people. But if Disney is losing more money on it than it is worth, I can see why they are choosing an alternative rather than ditching the promo all together. Those paying full price will notice the changes, I'm just not sure a majority are going to care if they have used the dining plan before and like the convenience. Even with the changes, I would imagine more people purchase the DPP than compared to the Silver, etc plans of before. DDP is advertised a lot more than the Silver/Gold plans were, the free dining serves as advertisement in that way, regardless of what they cut from it. I hope I made more sense this time, but I'm not sure that I did :)

WDW-LUVR

Thanks! So basically, if you had 2 adults who would originally stay at a Value and buy the dining plan (at almost $40 per person) they could get the dining plan for free along with a resort upgrade for the cost of one person's plan per day. Ok, I'm not sure that made sense, but I'm not sure how to properly word that :confused:

In basic terms, it would be cheaper to stay at a moderate and get the dining plan for free than to stay at a Value and pay for the dining plan. So it's an incentive for people who would get the dining plan regardless to stay at a moderate (or deluxe) and fill up those rooms.

Here's a question though, for people who split their stay between resorts, what will they do? If you stay 4 days at Pop and 4 days at POR, are you only going to get free dining for 4 days?
It would be cheaper (47.92) to stay at a value and purchase the QDP than it would be to stay at a moderate and get it Free.

kimmychad

Outside the themeparks at the [soon to be] former PI complex when it reopens with additional dining and shops, perhaps? :lookaroun Of course transportation to DTD will have to be greatly improved to get me there. Let's start up the monorail expansion rumor again - just for kicks. :hammer:

yes i can't wait for pi to close and we can get more variety with restaurants, shops i know won't be anything great. i'm glad their closing clubs that from what i've heard they can't get people into, i was only there one time, in 2005, and it didn't seem too busy to me then.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom