Sightlines are being destroyed everywhere

DCLcruiser

I'm glad you said this, because it's my whole point. A lot of people just don't get what they were going for because they didn't do it very well.
In reality, it should just be either a movie set or a land modeled after a movie. DHS is not supposed to be real, every land is a movie set, right?

J4546

The land had tsm, sdd, buzzspinners, a walk up food, restrooms, gift shop (poorly located at the end of tsm though) and soon a pretty large sit down BBQ spot. I really don't think it's as bad as some of you make it out to be. But it's all good, difference of opinions. Also I think an Al's toy barn will come to the land sooner than later and that will be a cherry on top imo.

J4546

In reality, it should just be either a movie set or a land modeled after a movie. DHS is not supposed to be real, every land is a movie set, right?
I think they are moving away from a movie set location and toward immersive lands based on popular movie ips. I'm all for it in the outer surrounding areas of dhs but keep the core with some studio looking locations.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
It's still themed but the theme is inside.
(/_-)
You cannot always completely hide the object that is used to conceal the theme from the outside and keep it as a surprise.
But... Yes.... Yes you can... There are too many examples of how this is possible. They literally matched tower of terror to Morocco for 😭 out loud.

Last edited:

Br0ckford

The land had tsm, sdd, buzzspinners, a walk up food, restrooms, gift shop (poorly located at the end of tsm though) and soon a pretty large sit down BBQ spot. I really don't think it's as bad as some of you make it out to be. But it's all good, difference of opinions. Also I think an Al's toy barn will come to the land sooner than later and that will be a cherry on top imo.
Don't get me wrong, I think the area is great. If you told me it's themed to Toy Story I'd totally get it. If it's supposed to be a backyard, that I don't get. Either way it doesn't affect my enjoyment of it. I like the themeing. Can't wait for the BBQ spot.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
What's futuristic about a giant box warehouse?

Are you talking about the canopy? The canopy is fine, but the canopy doesn't hide the building from everywhere (see below picture). It only hides it from certain angles. I'm pretty sure that isn't an issue in Shanghai because it was actually designed for Shanghai, so the canopy does hide the warehouse from inside the park.

Walt-Disney-World-Railroad_Full_48193.jpg
755B98DD-276D-4DFC-906A-638E373F565C.jpeg

The Empress Lilly

That's because either the facade of Horizons was larger then the show building which was behind it or the show building was low enough to be hidden. Besides that the Omni-max screens were not as high as the lift setup at Soarin which' was much larger to enable it to be above the screen looking down unlike Horizon which was viewed from ground level. The need for height is what requires a larger building to house it. That along with the demand for "longer" more elaborate rides just plain requires more space. Since Florida is essentially flat and they cannot go underground after the original design is built and established then you get a building with go away ski blue box. Can sometime we understand the physical reality required to give you your fantasies. Unlike other parks in the world you are looking at a partially camouflaged building and not an ugly track structure. I don't really know why I defend it all since I don't like coasters anyway, but I also hate to constantly hear people complain about sight lines that we are not supposed to be looking at to begin with but also ignoring the Physical realities that are needed to create our fantasies. I'm the one that should be upset because they ruin my "sightline" and I get no benefit at all from it. The rest of you at least get a fun ride.
Horizons didn't have a façade hiding a show building. It didn't have to hide anything nor did it want to hide anything. It begged to be seen. To be marvelled at and admired. All of it, from any angle.

The Horizons omnimax screens were viewed from mid-air. Just like Soarin'. Never underestimate the might of the greatest dark ride the world has ever seen. Horizons cars were suspended from a rail above. The Horizons building is higher than Soarin'. The difference is design philosophy, Horizons, like SSE, or Motion, or etc, is a theme and placemaking architectural marvel. Soarin', GotG, Rat are eyesores that try to hide as best they can, rather unsuccessfully.

Horizons, and the other EPCOT E-tickets, were longer, much much longer, than any of the thrill-a-minute rides modern Disney builds.

Everything you come up with is incorrect, I'm afraid.

Attachments

• 77b06-8.jpg
    77b06-8.jpg
    386.6 KB · Views: 76

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Horizons didn't have a façade hiding a show building. It didn't have to hide anything nor did it want to hide anything. It begged to be seen. To be marvelled at and admired. All of it, from any angle.

The Horizons omnimax screens were viewed from mid-air. Just like Soarin'. Never underestimate the might of the greatest dark ride the world has ever seen. Horizons cars were suspended from a rail above. The Horizons building is higher than Soarin'. The difference is design philosophy, Horizons, like SSE, or Motion, or etc, is a theme and placemaking architectural marvel. Soarin', GotG, Rat are eyesores that try to hide as best they can, rather unsuccessfully.

Horizons, and the other EPCOT E-tickets, were longer, much much longer, than any of the thrill-a-minute rides modern Disney builds.

Everything you come up with is incorrect, I'm afraid.
I believe that is where Disney has gone wrong... They have switched from showcasing to hiding.

Hiding works in some circumstances, like The Haunted Mansion.... But only when it is carefully thought out.

For instance... Little Mermaid was carefully thought out and executed extremely well, even if the attraction is mediocre. But still, the best facades are those that can be seen from all angles...

...Spaceship Earth, Test Track, Seven Dwarves, Space Mountain, Thunder Mountain.... I'd even throw in Mount Everest for the most part.

Make your giant attractions... Well... GIANT! In a GOOD way!

piccolopat

I understand that was the goal, but I think the execution doesn't work at all. I never really had any sense that's what it was supposed to be the first time I was there.

The old Honey I Shrunk the Kids playground area did this 10000x better.
I agree and that's why I think Disney missed an opportunity to incorporate the old playground idea into Toy Story land. They could have also added talk share structures that looked like oversized backyard plants.

No Name

I’m assuming a berm will be added around this once major construction is done to help hide the view.
You’re about to make an Alien Swirling Saucer out of U and ME.

View attachment 660036
These shrubs can grow to be about 20’ high (I know because our neighbor got a community infraction for his). They could also add some fencing or some themed banners to help distract the eye. View attachment 660038
Theres still plenty of bad views from around the lagoon area. Also from right under the canopy looking up at the ride.

Djsfantasi

As you enter TSL, there is a giant footprint of Andy’s sneaker. Hmm, where are there footprints of Andy’s sneaker? Maybe a schoolyard? Or perhaps his backyard. The lights, benches, a play ball, a container of Lincoln logs, instructions for a toy roller coaster… so obviously it’s not a schoolyard.

I think as you miss HIStK, your imagination has atrophied. Giant Lincoln Log container… giant blade of grass. Both give me a sense of space and scale. Yet, you only see one! Hmmm 🤔

I will admit one poor design decision. . Alien Swirling Saucers appears to be a carnival ride plopped down.

UNCgolf

As you enter TSL, there is a giant footprint of Andy’s sneaker. Hmm, where are there footprints of Andy’s sneaker? Maybe a schoolyard? Or perhaps his backyard. The lights, benches, a play ball, a container of Lincoln logs, instructions for a toy roller coaster… so obviously it’s not a schoolyard.

I think as you miss HIStK, your imagination has atrophied. Giant Lincoln Log container… giant blade of grass. Both give me a sense of space and scale. Yet, you only see one! Hmmm 🤔

I will admit one poor design decision. . Alien Swirling Saucers appears to be a carnival ride plopped down.

I don't personally don't really miss HIStK, but it was a clearly better design.

The number of people who have no idea it's supposed to be Andy's backyard basically closes this discussion down. It's fine if you got it, but the point is for everyone to get it. If 50% of guests don't understand, then it's a design failure by default.

DCLcruiser

The number of people who have no idea it's supposed to be Andy's backyard basically closes this discussion down. It's fine if you got it, but the point is for everyone to get it. If 50% of guests don't understand, then it's a design failure by default.
I don't think it really matters the exact location. Either way, the guest is riding on giant toys and interacting with human sized toys.

Goofyernmost

Or people completely lacking in knowledge of the movies or lacking in any degree of imagination. It doesn't take a genius to figure it out just by looking at it.

JoeCamel

Having experienced toy story land for the first time today, imo the theme is readily apparent. Also harmonius is way worse than the backside if guardians. It blends in to the sky for the most part.
So if they park the barges inside the box it will solve it?

UKDisney Dave

Wasn't Walt Disney's opportunity to correct some of the issues of Disneyland the purpose of Walt Disney World? Can you see the HM, PotC, and IaSW show buildings? Since when is it ok to see the show building for Tron, GoTG, or event Soarin? The laziness is out of control within Imagineering. These pictures make me cringe, and it costs much more to be able to see the sloppiness.
I really take issue with this. If you want to see show buildings they are in plain sight in many areas. Hall of Presidents show building is clearly visible without any theaming above sleepy hollow. This presumably from when the park opened 50 years ago.

If you want to see them they are there, but if you choose not to “look for them” they are barely noticeable. I’ve been in Epcot numerous times this last week for the first time in 3 years, and can honestly say I’ve not noticed GOTG show building. (Or Soarin the last few visits)

AidanCKY

Sadly I always hoped they'd fix the Guardians sightlines by maybe building a bit of a berm with trees, at least hiding the lower half of it.
They look to be extending the parking right up near the building now, so no chance.

The worst ones for me are the Star Wars land and Pandora ones - I know its from the parking lot but a wall would have looked way better than random bits of rock on sticks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom