Siemens to redo Spaceship Earth?

Rosso11

disnyfan89 said:
There is only one problem that I see in your story. I doubt that Disney would close an attraction that has such a large capacity on December 31st. A day that is just as busy (if not more) than Christmas. Other than that it sounds plasible.

He said it would be completed by Dec 31st not closing.

chupamiubre

yes i have seen the concept drawing ant not one of them had the magic wand

but as far as the ride it will minimal as in a few things here and there as well as redoing of the exit area of the ride but ther is no huge down time expected

Since1976

I've seen the blueprints for the revised Spaceship Earth, and I could clearly make out Hagrid's hut and a Quidditch field...

:lookaroun

SmooveB79

If the changes occur, I'd be interested to see how far they're willing to go to make the story more contemporary and cover recent times. There's a pretty strong tradition in Epcot's educational dark rides (and Disney's old science documentaries of the 50's and 60's) of starting everything with the dawn of man or the first cooling of the Earth's crust (see: Spaceship Earth, Universe of Energy, Living Seas, the old World of Motion). I've always thought that that's kind of a cumbersome way to tell stories.
As long as the new Spaceship Earth still bears the creativity of the Imagineers and doesn't become a big Siemens infomercial, I think it would be good to advance dark ride storytelling a little bit.
In general, dark rides are an area where WDW could really still assert it dominance if it wanted to. They don't really try to compete on thrill ride intensity; their deal is storytelling. It's a shame that good crazy dark rides aren't really a priority anymore (at least in the states-- Sinbad's Seven Voyages at TDS and Pooh's Hunny Hunt at TDL are wild).

dizneycrazy09

chupamiubre said:
yes i have seen the concept drawing ant not one of them had the magic wand

but as far as the ride it will minimal as in a few things here and there as well as redoing of the exit area of the ride but ther is no huge down time expected

Do you have sources?

Anyway, I would love to see SSE get some TLC. However, I'm not a fan of the whole last 25 years thing. SSE tells the story of communication from the dawn of time, and I think it should stay that way. Even today after riding numerous times, I still feel something special when you emerge from the lift ramp, feel the cool air, and see the massive screen with the cavemen on it. I hope things like that don't change. It's what makes SSE so special.

supapampam

Since1976 said:
I've seen the blueprints for the revised Spaceship Earth, and I could clearly make out Hagrid's hut and a Quidditch field...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

but SSE does need some TLC can't wait to see what really happens to it. One thing those sits need to become more comfortable.

Magicot

SmooveB79 said:
As long as the new Spaceship Earth still bears the creativity of the Imagineers and doesn't become a big Siemens infomercial, I think it would be good to advance dark ride storytelling a little bit.

Yeah, I agree. I just hope that after the refurb, that SSE isn't covered with Siemen.

hokielutz

I don't have any qualms with the content of the ride itself... just the ride experience. Need to fix the audio and make the ride system smoother than it has grown to be.

imagineer boy

I hope this is true. The rehab is really needed, not to mention that it would be great to see the final scenes updated. It always feels weird going down there, because its the future of communication, yet not one word is said about the internet or cell phones.

FigmentJedi

I'd say update descent back to Earth and replace the video phone that magically translates things into the native language of the user thing with something new. And a new narrator, like Morgan Freeman or something...

CaptainMichael

Tahu said:
I'd say update descent back to Earth and replace the video phone that magically translates things into the native language of the user thing with something new. And a new narrator, like Morgan Freeman or something...
I totally agree. SSE screams Morgan Freeman!

Jekyll Baker

STR8FAN2005 said:
I totally agree. SSE screams Morgan Freeman!

Or how 'bout Patrick Stewart ?!?

Or Patrick Warburton ? (since he already does a lot of Disney voice-overs, including a voice of Buzz Lightyear - that'd help SSE with a Pixar tie-in like the rest of Epcot seems to be getting :lol: )

kcnole

OMG, Patrick Stewart would be perfect. That's the best suggestion yet. I can hear his voice over the script already.

Personally I think the ride needs some rehab scene wise but not a ton. If there's new technology to tell the same story much better though I'm not opposed to taking it. What the ride does needs is newer vehicles with a premium on comfort and making the ride smooth and quiet. I can't stand the rollercoaster sound. Maybe they could take that new technology they created for the climb on everest and use it here or something. I'm not sure if they work the same or not.

Aside from the ride, this building out of all of them needs a major improvement to the post show and REMOVE THE DADGUM WAND!

Other than that, I still love SSE.

JimboJones123

Magicot said:
Yeah, I agree. I just hope that after the refurb, that SSE isn't covered with Siemen.

GEEZ --- and i was about to do the beavis laugh after this --

peter11435 said:
I am almost certain that Coke is now just the sponsor of the liberty inn and that Amex has pulled out entirely.

(please don't lock me out!)

Magicot

FairyTaleCouple said:
He was telling me verbatim what the Siemens pitch to the imagineers was, and it seemed to stay in theme off communications throughout the years, but with more of the ride being dedicated to the last 25 years.

Hmmmmm, the last 25 years, as in 1982-2007, as in Epcot's 25th Anniversary . . . Verrry interesting . . . :animwink:

Buford

Jekyll Baker said:
Or how 'bout Patrick Stewart ?!?

Or Patrick Warburton ? (since he already does a lot of Disney voice-overs, including a voice of Buzz Lightyear - that'd help SSE with a Pixar tie-in like the rest of Epcot seems to be getting :lol: )
How about Ellen Degeneris?

Or Gary Sinise?

imagineer boy

Yes, morgan freeman would be perfect! I can just imagine him saying "As we live for years to come on this, our space ship earth." Its great! I do like Jeremy Irons though. He makes the ride sound more mysterious.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom