Shouldn't Grauman's Theater be the Centerpiece again ?

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
But that would be silly. Why pay someone to use a building that you don't own as the symbol of your park. :hammer:

The theater was never meant to be the icon....ever.

True, but what was so wrong with using the water tower as the symbol?

It doesn't necessarily does it have to be an attraction, or even an accessible place for that matter, it's just a symbol for the park.The symbol doesn't really define the park, it's just a visual representation.

sanctumsolitude

Exactly, especially when Disney has no control over the original. What if the original theater in Hollywood started showing and became a XXX theater. You think Disney would want to keep their replica?

Good point Lee.

What if the Eiffel Tower turned into the world's highest brothel?

Your scenario is never going to happen.

I never claimed that Disney should make the theater the icon of the park. However, I am claiming that Disney could have resolved all legal issues that necessitated the construction of the hat in its current form.

Another icon could have been created for DHS/MGM - in a different location or of a different design. In my opinion, the hat was a poor solution to the problem.

erasure fan1

It doesn't necessarily does it have to be an attraction, or even an accessible place for that matter, it's just a symbol for the park.The symbol doesn't really define the park, it's just a visual representation.
Yes I agree, I didnt mind the water tower as the symbol for the park.

I know this would never happen but if disney would move/get rid of the hat they could take your picture going to TOT. That way you get the great view as you walk in the park looking at the GMR and Disney doesnt have to worry about anything legal. The hat to me is a symbol of Disney just wanting to sell pictures and pins and not about having an icon. Thats why I never really liked it. The water tower, not that its the greatest, represented old hollywood to me and that was a good symbol for me.

aladdin2007

the past message or two just mentioned about the Christmas Tree I think.
Thats what I miss where the hat is! It was so great to have that tall tree in front of the chinese theater at the end of hollywood boulevard. Was really nice. Anyone else agree? Now they put it outside at the entrance to the park which just is ridiculous all becuase of that ridiculous vegas like tacky hat.
sorry but had to say it lol. Love the fact that there are hat lovers and hat haters here but I do miss it the way it use to be. I would be okay with the hat elsewhere. Kinda looks dumb right in front of the theater. One or the other needs to go. Okay dont yell at me please :D

EPCOT.nut

The hat is great, it's just in the wrong place. Perfect at the enterance or animation courtyard. All wrong where it is now. I hope that if Grauman's won't let them move the hat they should replace the theater facade and stop giving them free publicity. Just a thought.

Well said, and I agree.

dizpins14

Here's a wild idea that I don't expect Disney to do but I was hoping someone could enlighten me if it is possible. I know this idea will cost a lot of money but who cares.

IF the hat were moved, I liked someone's suggestion for reconfiguring the entrance to Fantasmic and rebuilding the hat there, would it then be possible to move up the Earful Tower to maybe around where Toy Story Mania will be? This way the tower will be visable to the right of Grauman's and can be viewed when entering the park.

I guess my question is, is the entire building that starts across from One Man's Dream and stretchs past Toy Story Mania, the show building for the Great Movie Ride? If any of that building could be torn down to place the Earful tower, I would rather the tower be the icon of the park. I wouldn't mind seeing a new, smaller Earful Tower, kind of like the one at Disney Studios Paris built somewhere/somehow so it is visable as you are walking into the park.

jt04

Here's a wild idea that I don't expect Disney to do but I was hoping someone could enlighten me if it is possible. I know this idea will cost a lot of money but who cares.

IF the hat were moved, I liked someone's suggestion for reconfiguring the entrance to Fantasmic and rebuilding the hat there, would it then be possible to move up the Earful Tower to maybe around where Toy Story Mania will be? This way the tower will be visable to the right of Grauman's and can be viewed when entering the park.

I guess my question is, is the entire building that starts across from One Man's Dream and stretchs past Toy Story Mania, the show building for the Great Movie Ride? If any of that building could be torn down to place the Earful tower, I would rather the tower be the icon of the park. I wouldn't mind seeing a new, smaller Earful Tower, kind of like the one at Disney Studios Paris built somewhere/somehow so it is visable as you are walking into the park.

There is a steel stucture there from when they used to have a nightly show that could easily support a faux water tower. Good idea! That means it probably won't happen:rolleyes:

dvitali

If Disney use the Hollywood Hills symbol does Disney have to pay royalty to whomever own the trademark? (Someone must paid to keep those letters in good shape every year)
Also is the arch to the courtyard a trademark to MGM will also have to be removed at the beginnng of next year or when that area become Pixar Place?

If Disney can pay royalty for a building to look like the Brown Derby resturant I can see no reason why something can be work out for the GMR.

SirNim

If Disney use the Hollywood Hills symbol does Disney have to pay royalty to whomever own the trademark? (Someone must paid to keep those letters in good shape every year)
Also is the arch to the courtyard a trademark to MGM will also have to be removed at the beginnng of next year or when that area become Pixar Place?

If Disney can pay royalty for a building to look like the Brown Derby resturant I can see no reason why something can be work out for the GMR.

The HOLLYWOOD sign in the hills above Los Angeles is "a registered trademark and cannot be used without the permission of the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce, which also manages the Walk of Fame." As such, it is unlikely that the mark would be integrated into the new park logo, although Hollywood Video was, apparently, able to procure such permission.

The arch in the courtyard does not seem to be a trademark of MGM. I think many of the architectural features of the park, such as the gate, but not all (such as the Chinese Theater, Darkroom, Brown Derby, etc.), were designed exclusively for the park by Disney. The only thing likely to change with the arch is the removal of the old logo/name in favor of the new logo/name. Or they might throw a Pixar sign atop it.

Lee's comment about merchandising the Chinese Theater (cannot be put on shirts and whatnot) is most plausible considering that the REAL Chinese Theater itself sells its own t-shirts and merchandise. The license to manufacture and sell goods or services with the likeness of the Theater was likely not purchased; only the license to build a "replica" of the Theater and use it in promotional photography, videos, shows, etc. in a theme park setting.

Lee

Adventurer
Nothing at all was wrong with using it.
The biggest problem was it's location. The only way to really see it very well is to take the Backlot Tour (which is a shadow of it's former self), and even then you can't really pose for a photo with it. There goes photopass.

A park icon has to be centrally located, and handy for use as such things as a backdrop for a photo. Who has a family photo with the Earful Tower in the background? Anyone? Anyone? Nope.

I do like the idea of moving the Earful. The gantry structure for Fantasy in the Sky would be perfect. But even then, you would have the theatre in the photo...

unkadug

Or just let guests climb the gantry so that they can have the water tower in their viewfinder! :lookaroun

Anyway, I see your point, and perhaps it could be moved. Would it be possible to modify the theater as to not have it an exact replica of Grauman's, thereby skirting the issue?

CheriBibi

Original Poster
I don't disagree with the Symbolism of the Hat, Fantasia may very well be Disney's Hollywood in a way that only he could have achieved (and be let do so) such a breakthrough in this town.
Now, the hat is just plain ugly. It looks cheap, because it is. It doesn't look like a permanent structure, but rather somehting hastily build for a temporary purpose. Had it been grander, less plastic looking, then why not... It just can't be a good centerpiece because it doesn't look like a Disney's building.

That's my point, and that's why I hoped and still does that the name change would make it go. As an Idea for a centerpiece that would match the hat symbolism a lot seems to be keen of : The Disney Legend statue castle-sized, that would be a blow ok, but it would be the meaning of the hat and yet be beautiful :) Another point of mine.

legends_statue_picture.gif

unkadug

OK. I know.. The re do the Chinese Theater to look like the mountain in Hollywood (with the sign) and put the rid inside the mountain

Yes, yes another mountain for the Disney Mountain Range. :sohappy:

However, the construction of a mountain in the middle of a theme park would be a logistical nightmare.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom