Shouldn't Grauman's Theater be the Centerpiece again ?

movieride

I have a love/hate relationship with the hat. I hate its concept, and I hate the way it looks at the end of the street- blocking the prettier, more fabulous and more Hollywood Chinese Theatre behind it.
But I love it because I believe it solved a tricky icon problem. It saved the Chinese Theatre and The Great Movie Ride from possible destruction.

The hat is a secret service agent that took a bullet for the president. Hats off to you...hat.

hazelrah

There is no legal or monetary issue for the Chinese theater to be blocked by the hat. This is a myth that for some reason has developed a life of its own on the internet. I refer you to the U.S. Copyright Office, which clearly states that buildings built before December 1, 1990 are not subject to copyright protection (Ironically, it might have been Disney's version that was protected if MGM had just opened a couple years late):

http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-protect.html

All the talk from Disney about it being the "new icon" of the park is just PR propaganda. The hat was built with no purpose other than to have something to promote during the 100 Years of Magic celebration. It was ridiculously cheap to build (much like the wand) and gave the company an image to stamp onto all their marketing material.

The hat is an eyesore that destroys the careful planning of MGM's entrance corridor, much as the Wand destroyed the careful design of Spaceship Earth. I would not be anti-hat if it was installed in a location that lacked planning or a visual centerpoint (Animation Courtyard would have been an obvious site), but it is completely unacceptable in its current spot. However, I have faith that the hat is not long for this earth.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
There is no legal or monetary issue for the Chinese theater to be blocked by the hat. This is a myth that for some reason has developed a life of its own on the internet. I refer you to the U.S. Copyright Office, which clearly states that buildings built before December 1, 1990 are not subject to copyright protection (Ironically, it might have been Disney's version that was protected if MGM had just opened a couple years late):

THis is like the second or third time Ive seen this stated. It may be true, but anything that may be provided for in copyright law is valid to the extent that a new lawsuit or law is passed that changes the law itself. Disney being a very estute company may not have wanted to run the risk that some day, they may have had to pay royalties for every photo taken by them that they charged a customer for.

theyip1218

If you think about it, why would want the Chinese Culture representing MGM?
The park is about hollywood. Thats what it should be about, not look like Chinese Pavilion #2.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
If you think about it, why would want the Chinese Culture representing MGM?
The park is about hollywood. Thats what it should be about, not look like Chinese Pavilion #2.

Grauman's Chinese Theatre is a Hollywood landmark.

Although the original does have alot of Chinese art, the theatre celebrates Hollywood not Chinese culture.

yojay

Luxo icon?

I never really cared for the hat at all. I have a picture of them putting it up somewhere on my computer. I would have like it better closer to the entrance of the park. But I don't understand the sybolism of the hat other than animation. It doesn't really mean anything to the studios and what it stands for. Now that it's going to be Hollywood this particuarly doesn't make much sense to me. Animation might be a big thing for the Disney company but it isn't the "icon" for Hollywood. Just my $0.2 about it.

If it's animation you're after, here's your new icon:

luxo.jpg

Here's an old school shot of the Chinese Theater at Disney. Clearly the hat is designed to completely block the theater so that it can't be used for a decent photo. Ironically, the fact that you can't get a decent shot of the theater in Florida now makes it an even more authentic replica of the one in Hollywood. Even from across the street, you couldn't do much better than this.

Either way, the iconic structures are crowding each other out and the park isn't big enough for both of them. I always thought the hat would make a neat entrance to the proposed/rumored GMR replacement Villains ride, but those plans got whacked after the possible dual purpose hat was built. Or did they?

I like the hat icon, I just wish they would have thought of something better than a pin shop for it.

I completely agree. I feel that the other icons of the parks have more distinction, more..(for lack of a better word) class. The hat right now as it stands feels like an elaborate pin shop, rather than a park icon. I feel the other park icons have that mysterious quality to them that makes them recognizable, but not something you know every inch of. When was the last time you went to that top of Cindy's castle? Spaceship Earth? I know 2 of them have attractions in them, but, I feel it is done tastfully. DHS's feels temporary, even if it isn't.

Patsc85

Hmm interesting topic. Disney's Hollywood Studio (you don't know how hard it was to NOT type out MGM!) has always had an identity crisis it seems. This is fitting I guess hah.

Anyway, I like the Hat lets get that out of the way. I also like the Water Tower.

The water tower is great because its very hollywood, almost every big studio has a water tower! So its fitting with a Disney twist. But, its all about location location location! I think this tower gets a big old F for that.

The hat is great because it screams Fantasia a legendary animated movie. But I think this Hats location is also poor. Plus it blocks the view of Graumans Theater. While I know it was done intentionally, I don't think the park has the same atmosphere as when you were able to see right down Hollywood Blvd.

That being said, do you think DHS really needs an Icon in the MIDDLE of the park? The park as an unusual layout, and I don't think they should treat this park as a spoke and hub park when it comes to Icons. The hat really should be somewhere else in the park. But in reality Disney couldn't do this because of legal issues I imagine so it was a tough call I am sure.

I say keep the hat, but move it to the left or right a bit heh :ROFLOL:

RiversideBunny

The hat is now where the Studios Christmas tree used to go and the Christmas tree has to be out in front of the park.

Is it possible that these two locations could be swapped so that the tree is back where it used to be and the hat is out front?
The hat would still be a symbol.

:rolleyes:

Lee

Adventurer
There is no legal or monetary issue for the Chinese theater to be blocked by the hat.
True. It wasn't entirely a legal issue, or strictly speaking, a money issue.

All the talk from Disney about it being the "new icon" of the park is just PR propaganda.
Ummm...not as true. Marketing wanted an icon for every park. Water tower didn't cut it and they didn't want to use a building they didn't own/control. The BAH is a direct result. Easy to photograph, recognizable, and copyrightable. This is true. I had discussions with annoyed WDI folks back at the time it went up.

Another, much more minor reason, was the GMR itself. Remember back when there was all that talk about a HUGE redesign of the ride? Some concepts called for alteration of the front of the building, quite possibly removing the Chinese theming. The hat made for a alternate weenie at the end of the street. Never got nearly that far, but there was some talk.

Enigma

Account Suspended
I have heard that the shop underneath the hat will be removed and replaced with a nice new "Disney's Hollywood" sign and the hat itself will undergo some changes.

If they refuse to get rid of it at least the word is that they will make improvements to the area. Personally im more interested in the potential "lands" (Henson, Lucas, Pixar). They can do so much more with Star Wars and Indiana Jones alone and I cant believe they haven't changed Star Tours yet!

Fill the parks up with amazing rides and experinces..then worry about the hat in the entry plaza!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom