Shouldn't Grauman's Theater be the Centerpiece again ?

Brian_B

I'd like to remind everyone reading this thread that, if you do a search, 1,000+ smug little posts can be found that all say something along the lines of "The wand isn't going anywhere".

Never underestimate the future.

DABIGCHEEZ

Now that MGM is gone and Hollywood tends to take back the theme, is Disney gonna keep the hat ? I'm not trying to create another bashing thread now that the wand is gone, and that bashing needs to come back toward something ;)
What I mean is : I dislike the HAT ok, but as Hollywood becomes once again the main theming of the park, wouldn't it be logical to takeaway the Hat (which has nothing to do with Disney's Hollywood Studio) and free up the view of the Chinese Theater which IS the real Hollywood main sightseeing and overall graphical reference.

I can't possibly think that they intend to publicise the changing of the name without publicising a new logo for the park (which is presently the hat), that would then make it logical to definitely loose the hat.

What you people think ?

You're kidding right? I say leave the hat alone. Plead for them taking some of the crappy shows away that have become :snore: after the 2nd time seeing them let alone repeat trips. Not to mention the boring ride that goes through this Chinese Theater. The Icon is the Chinese Theater in HOLLYWOOD!!!!!
Leave the Hat..... Leave the Hat!!!! Now I will:zipit:

Rototom

I'm fine with the hat, but I do miss the feel of '30's Hollywood you got looking down the street. (Even if it wasn't true to life)

I think that was the original intention when built.

DABIGCHEEZ

I'd like to remind everyone reading this thread that, if you do a search, 1,000+ smug little posts can be found that all say something along the lines of "The wand isn't going anywhere".

Hmm... Thinking of starting a Cut the Tree Down thread and a Make the Castle Disappear thread. :p

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult

Excellent point Brian. :wave:

Not only "Never underestimate the future", but never underestimate Disney's ability to change it's mind!

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I like the hat. I liked the wand, just not where it was. I think the wand would look really good next to the hat. Even if the theater was the original icon of the park, it would not have been a good one. It only represents one major element of Hollywood, movies. I also personaly think they should scrap the theatre facade of the GMR and turn the que into a something similar to the prop room of the backlot tour, but thats just me. Ive never been real impressed with the studios version of the theater or the real one in Hollywood. :shrug:

jmvd20

True but the wand and the hat are 2 different items. The wand was never a park icon for Epcot and in fact it took something away from the park icon. On the other hand the hat is the official icon of MGM/DHS according to Disney.

While it may be possible, it is highly unlikely that WDW would ever remove one of their park icons.

sanctumsolitude

Well...yes the Chinese Theater is copyrighted, and yes I'm sure the photographers on Hollywood Blvd. were originally part of the problem--so I'd say that's partially the reason it was there in the first place. I wouldn't, however, say it's the biggest reason it's still there now. If Disney really wanted the hat removed (most likely placed in another prominent location in the park where it could still serve as the icon) they would do it, and just place Photopass people wherever they couldn't get a shot of the Theater.

The biggest problem I'd say is the actual construction/deconstruction logistics and money--there's no motivation to spend the time and the $$ to take it down, especially given that it's more well-loved than the now-extinct wand and it gives a single, visible icon to a confused park (even I can understand that it works in that respect).

But if Disney really did want to spend the money to remove it, for whatever reason? Sure, they'd take it down, and the Photopass photographers would be a minor point after that--something they could easily relocate. Disney has replicas of a number of copyrighted buildings without a problem (the Eiffel Tower in Epcot for instance, or the Empire State Building right there in MGM) and while I understand the Chinese Theater is a little more unavoidable than those, I still believe that the copyright wouldn't stop Disney from moving the hat. Again, if they wanted to. Big A** "If" for a BAH.

You do realize buildings built before December 1, 1990 are not copyrighted right?

I never understood the legal argument. Warner Bros/Paramount bought the theater for $91 million (relatively nothing). If Disney really wanted to, there is no doubt in my mind that they could have reached an agreement (and relatively inexpensive one at that) to continue using the theater, even as an icon.

PaisleyMF

Add me to the I Love the Hat Icon too. But maybe just maybe to meet in the middle, why not change the theater front and make it look like the animation building in California. Hey even the Animation Building in California Adventure has the hat.

Mick G.

The hat wrecks the whole feel of the street for me. It's a cartoony element in what once was a consistently realistic setting. Then again, you could argue that the turn-of-the-century Victorian feel of Main Street is diminished by the European castle at the end of the street, but somehow the architectural styles work together.

jt04

The hat is great, it's just in the wrong place. Perfect at the enterance or animation courtyard. All wrong where it is now. I hope that if Grauman's won't let them move the hat they should replace the theater facade and stop giving them free publicity. Just a thought.

The hat is staying. 100%. It's not temporary, it was put there for a reason. Legally, Grauman's Chinese Theater is not allowed to be centerpiece of the park. There are photographers up and down Hollywood Blvd and Disney cannot charge people for the sale of photos with Grauman's Chinese Theater in the background. It's copyrighted. The hat was specifically put in place to obstruct the view of the theater and will stay that way. The hat might even be improved a little, but it will remain the symbol no doubt.

Disney's Hollywood Studios will be more so about the mindset Hollywood, not the actual geographical location. The park will focus on more of a Hollywood state of mind. The hat represents the true magic of Disney music, animation, and show business. It works even better as a symbol of DHS than it did for MGM.

EDIT: This quote better explains the representation of the hat and the new name more than I would ever be able to. It is from the "Studios Name Changed Confirmed" Thread.
Wow you cant really believe that stuff you wrote.Do you think Disney was that dumb.:shrug:

Lee

Adventurer
Ive never been real impressed with the studios version of the theater or the real one in Hollywood. :shrug:

Gotta disagree. I personally found the real one to be extremely impressive. Really stunning place to watch a movie. Actually that whole complex at Hollywood and Highland is very cool.
See how impressed I look? Ok...it's hard to tell...but I really am impressed.
DSC00297.JPG

raven

I never really cared for the hat at all. I have a picture of them putting it up somewhere on my computer. I would have like it better closer to the entrance of the park. But I don't understand the sybolism of the hat other than animation. It doesn't really mean anything to the studios and what it stands for. Now that it's going to be Hollywood this particuarly doesn't make much sense to me. Animation might be a big thing for the Disney company but it isn't the "icon" for Hollywood. Just my $0.2 about it.

askmike1

I guess it depends on what effect Disney is trying to go for. If they are going for Hollywood: the place, then yes, it should be (re)moved. However, if they are going for Hollywood: The Concept (which is what I believe they will be going for), then it makes more sense to use the hat in my opinion. It certainly fits in with Hollywood as it represents perhaps the most famous character in history in his most famous role.

Either way, the Hat was budgeted for the same amount of time as the Wand (7-8 years), so 2008 would be a pretty good time to make the decision on whether to keep it longer or take it down. However, the difference with the Hat is that unlike the Wand, it became the instant symbol and icon of the park. So I have a hard time believing it is going anywhere anytime soon.

Lee

Adventurer
If Disney really wanted to, there is no doubt in my mind that they could have reached an agreement (and relatively inexpensive one at that) to continue using the theater, even as an icon.
But that would be silly. Why pay someone to use a building that you don't own as the symbol of your park. :hammer:

The theatre was never meant to be the icon....ever.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
But that would be silly. Why pay someone to use a building that you don't own as the symbol of your park. :hammer:

The theatre was never meant to be the icon....ever.

Exactly, especially when Disney has no control over the original. What if the original theater in Hollywood started showing and became a XXX theater. You think Disney would want to keep their replica?

Good point Lee.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom