Should WDW open?

milordsloth

Yes, you know what the requirements are and you will follow them - but there are many that don't and won't - have you read the open letters from Cast Members who are scared for their lives because they don't want to deal with entitled, cranky and aggressive guests who are sick and tired of being in the heat and wearing a mask and not being able to breath? Situations that they needed to deal with before COVID-19 and they now expect things to be much worse because of these new procedures.

I would not recommend to anyone to take their first trip to WDW in summer 2020 unless they already plan on taking a return trip in the future. Good luck to you.

Well of course I plan to be back in the future. But I also plan to go in 2 weeks! I can't wait! If anything this will make the 2nd trip feel like a whole different experience.

I have seen both sides of it online at least, plenty of who are excited to be back and others that clearly aren't. All I can do is follow the guidelines and be safe, and hope others are as well.

milordsloth

It’s obvious looking at most responses in this thread that a lot of people think WDW is more important than their lives and the lives of other people , apparently putting at risk the elderly and the people lacking immunities is a minor issue to them because they have the “right” to enjoy WDW.

Well that's quite a stretch and a very negative and pessimistic view. Of course I, and I'm sure everyone on these boards, care about other people. That doesn't change the fact that with the rules in place there is very minimal risk going to the park, especially compared to other businesses that are currently open.

Storm

Well that's quite a stretch and a very negative and pessimistic view. Of course I, and I'm sure everyone on these boards, care about other people. That doesn't change the fact that with the rules in place there is very minimal risk going to the park, especially compared to other businesses that are currently open.
The numbers say otherwise , and also the fact that WDW is not enforcing marks very well if at all (see complaints on this exact same forum) so no , its not a very minimal risk ,a lot of people in Florida think they can do whatever they want , and they do it despite all the guidelines.

Parker in NYC

The numbers say otherwise , and also the fact that WDW is not enforcing marks very well if at all (see complaints on this exact same forum) so no , its not a very minimal risk ,a lot of people in Florida think they can do whatever they want , and they do it despite all the guidelines.

True. I guess no one learned much over the past 5 months. What’re the words so often dropped by political talking heads these days? Oh, yes. “So sad!”

NiamhK

There is a petition online at change.org that is addressed to the Walt Disney Company to postpone Walt Disney World from reopening in July. The petition that is on move.org is not addressed to the The Walt Disney Company. It is addressed to the Mayor of Orlando. The Mayor does not have the final say. Actually it's the decision of The Walt Disney World Company to reopen or not. The Gov of Florida has approved them to reopen. If anyone is interested here is the link to the petition.
http://chng.it/zLvFYynTdW

rkleinlein

Is the majority of WDW not outside?
It is outside
Yes, the streets are outside, but unlike the typical amusement park, a lot of attractions and dining at Disney World, maybe most, are INSIDE. I might consider going to a Cedar Point, for example, where most of the rides, queues, and dining areas are outside with plenty of air circulation, but I would not go to Disney World now, especially given the current situation in Florida.

If it reopens as scheduled (which I increasingly doubt), everyone gets to decide their own comfort level. However, it should surprise no one if an outbreak is traced to WDW. Unfortunately for the rest of us, if this happens, it will not be confined to Disney property or to those individuals who decided it was ok to go during the height of a pandemic.

HongKongFooy

It might help just a tad to address the petition to the right party.
A tuna sandwich has the same amount of formal power to stop Disney as Orlando mayor.

Last edited:

Parker in NYC

There is a petition online at change.org that is addressed to the Walt Disney Company to postpone Walt Disney World from reopening in July. The petition that is on move.org is not addressed to the The Walt Disney Company. It is addressed to the Mayor of Orlando. The Mayor does not have the final say. Actually it's the decision of The Walt Disney World Company to reopen or not. The Gov of Florida has approved them to reopen. If anyone is interested here is the link to the petition.
http://chng.it/zLvFYynTdW

If they add "#savesplashmountain" to the description , they'll get a heck of a lot more signatures.

AngryEyes

All businesses should absolutely open and WDW is no exception. Require masks, wash hands, sanitize, and live your life.

If you think it's safe and are willing to follow the rules, have at it. If you don't think it's safe or don't want to follow the rules, stay home.

It's pretty simple, really.

Problem is the same as it always is...lots of people want to force their beliefs and opinions on others.

I personally wouldn't go, but I'm certainly not about to say someone else shouldn't.

Phonedave

All businesses should absolutely open and WDW is no exception. Require masks, wash hands, sanitize, and live your life.

If you think it's safe and are willing to follow the rules, have at it. If you don't think it's safe or don't want to follow the rules, stay home.

It's pretty simple, really.

Problem is the same as it always is...lots of people want to force their beliefs and opinions on others.

I personally wouldn't go, but I'm certainly not about to say someone else shouldn't.

The problem is, that cuts both ways.

"If you think it's safe and are willing to follow the rules, have at it. If you don't think it's safe or don't want to follow the rules, stay home."

Unfortunately, you have people who think it's safe, don't want to follow the rules, show up, and cause problems for everyone, including continuing to spread the virus.

AngryEyes

The problem is, that cuts both ways.

"If you think it's safe and are willing to follow the rules, have at it. If you don't think it's safe or don't want to follow the rules, stay home."

Unfortunately, you have people who think it's safe, don't want to follow the rules, show up, and cause problems for everyone, including continuing to spread the virus.

Then they get kicked out. The businesses have a responsibility to hold people to the rules or they get closed down.

We can't just lock everyone away forever. Life must go on.

Phonedave

Then they get kicked out. The businesses have a responsibility to hold people to the rules or they get closed down.

We can't just lock everyone away forever. Life must go on.

If only it was that easy. Take a look at all of stories of places where people don't wear masks, and when they are asked to the yell, scream, spit on food, cough on people, or just defiantly go about whatever it is they were doing anyway.

I agree with you, people can't be locked away forever, but people also have to not be asshats about it.

In NJ we opened outdoor dining recently - 6 feet apart, servers with masks, etc. There were pictures and accounts of places with people packed to the gills outside, no masks, everybody on top of each other. We were supposed to open reduced capacity indoor dining this week. Our Governor pulled that back, basically saying "look people, just a month ago we were one of the hardest hit areas in the country, I know you want to get back to normal, but if you can't follow the rules that we currently have in place, we are not going to relax them further."

I really wish that WDW would open with safety protocols in place, and that everybody would follow them. But to think everybody will, and those that don't want to will either stay away or nicely comply when asked to is being a bit of a Pollyanna.

AngryEyes

If only it was that easy. Take a look at all of stories of places where people don't wear masks, and when they are asked to the yell, scream, spit on food, cough on people, or just defiantly go about whatever it is they were doing anyway.

I agree with you, people can't be locked away forever, but people also have to not be asshats about it.

In NJ we opened outdoor dining recently - 6 feet apart, servers with masks, etc. There were pictures and accounts of places with people packed to the gills outside, no masks, everybody on top of each other. We were supposed to open reduced capacity indoor dining this week. Our Governor pulled that back, basically saying "look people, just a month ago we were one of the hardest hit areas in the country, I know you want to get back to normal, but if you can't follow the rules that we currently have in place, we are not going to relax them further."

I really wish that WDW would open with safety protocols in place, and that everybody would follow them. But to think everybody will, and those that don't want to will either stay away or nicely comply when asked to is being a bit of a Pollyanna.

There will always be asshats. They were there before this whole thing and they'll be there after. This is just a new thing to be an asshat about.

Realistically, what's the alternative? You open with restrictions or you stay closed forever.

Actually hold individuals and businesses accountable. The fact is whether it's today or next week or next month, we will have to deal with the exact same issues we're dealing with right now, as we open up in various locations.

BASS

Just saw that Hong Kong never shutdown and their numbers are way down . . . BUT, 97% of the population wears masks. The 3% that doesn't is supposedly American and Europeans. If we'd all just wear a damn mask and stop about it, we'd likely bring the numbers down and be able to strike some balance between respecting the virus and protecting our fellow citizens and still enjoying life (as close to normal as possible). Wear. A. Mask.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom