Should WDW open?

Flying_High

oklahoma-
a) demonstrations blm etc- although a much higher amount of people wore masks there was still a good rise in our numbers due to it (including an osu football player from and early tulsa rally)
b) The trump speech (his supporters threw down the masks and said they werent afraid)
c) Many things reopened, restaurants indoor and outdoor, gyms, every possible store and mall ... in some places 1 in 5 wear masks most places 1-100 (its usually me thats wearing it), no social distancing .. everyone herding together like cattle. Here they are following trump who acts like it was a myth brought by the media and they dont think its real and dont think they will catch it.

I feel bad for those people who are being mislead by corrupt politicians trying to use this virus as a political dividing tool at the expense of thousands of lives. They are literally throwing them into their graves with terrible advice, lies and manipulation of virus data.

Here in NJ we had blm protests too, but the difference is almost everyone is wearing a mask. No uptick so far in cases.

Wearing a mask is the key ingredient in all of this. If you are wondering if hospitals will be overrun with cases, simply look at how many new infections there are and wait two weeks when they come in. I saw it happen in my state and it was terrifying. Every unit in the hospital became a covid unit and when they ran out of room, they started doubling up the covid patients.

If being free means getting sick and if someone in politics treated me like lawn furniture I would be outraged. The thing is these people will never learn because after they get sick, like is happening now, the politicians will blame some other red herring and the people will believe it. They are only props in a bad movie.

Edit: I just looked up Florida's positive test results for Tuesday and it set a record for one day at over 5,000. I think it is already too late for it to make any difference and the hospitals will be overrun there next week or the week after. There is zero chance Disneyworld opens folks. Not with those numbers. The announcement will be made at around 5pm tomorrow (friday june 26). Count on it.

Last edited:

ppete1975

I feel bad for those people who are being mislead by corrupt politicians trying to use this virus as a political dividing tool at the expense of thousands of lives. They are literally throwing them into their graves with terrible advice, lies and manipulation of virus data.

Here in NJ we had blm protests too, but the difference is almost everyone is wearing a mask. No uptick so far in cases.

Wearing a mask is the key ingredient in all of this. If you are wondering if hospitals will be overrun with cases, simply look at how many new infections there are and wait two weeks when they come in. I saw it happen in my state and it was terrifying. Every unit in the hospital became a covid unit and when they ran out of room, they started doubling up the covid patients.

If being free means getting sick and if someone in politics treated me like lawn furniture I would be outraged. The thing is these people will never learn because after they get sick, like is happening now, the politicians will blame some other red herring and the people will believe it. They are only props in a bad movie.
had to go to walmart at lunch stock up so i could lock myself inside, no masks no social distancing.... its insane....

Flying_High

had to go to walmart at lunch stock up so i could lock myself inside, no masks no social distancing.... its insane....
Be safe my friend. What went missing during the early stages of this pandemic in my state was Lysol, and disinfectant wipes, bleach, meat of every type, rice, oatmeal, and all paper products (even the expensive ones that never sell). This lasted for two months.

ppete1975

Be safe my friend. What went missing during the early stages of this pandemic in my state was Lysol, and disinfectant wipes, bleach, meat of every type, rice, oatmeal, and all paper products (even the expensive ones that never sell). This lasted for two months.
yeah been there done that, we can now get anything... its just people think they wont get it or its nothing to worry about. I feel for people that have to work in the real world, and cant work from home.

Flying_High

This is the main point, WDW is requiring everyone to wear a mask, they are capping attendance, and will enforce physical distancing. I really don't see any reason for them to delay opening, especially with those measures in place.
Even with masks large gatherings are still dangerous and were banned in my state for 3 months. We had no gathering of 10 or more people. From what i have seen on TV, many people weren't even wearing a mask and were walking around like it was a hoax. I hope I am wrong, but IMO Florida is about to become the next hotspot and by this time next week it could be out of control like it was in my state 4 months ago. We went from having our first covid patient one day, to a week later having the entire hospital filled with covid patients.

Disney will be sued to oblivion regardless of the waiver they make you sign by anyone in the area who gets sick from them bringing in people in mass into Orlando during a once in a century global pandemic. These people will infect other people in other states and countries and when this happens, we might read about this 10 years from now and wonder what they were thinking.

milordsloth

Even with masks large gatherings are still dangerous and were banned in my state for 3 months. We had no gathering of 10 or more people. From what i have seen on TV, many people weren't even wearing a mask and were walking around like it was a hoax. I hope I am wrong, but IMO Florida is about to become the next hotspot and by this time next week it could be out of control like it was in my state 4 months ago. We went from having our first covid patient one day, to a week later having the entire hospital filled with covid patients.

Disney will be sued to oblivion regardless of the waiver they make you sign by anyone in the area who gets sick from them bringing in people in mass into Orlando during a once in a century global pandemic. These people will infect other people in other states and countries and when this happens, we might read about this 10 years from now and wonder what they were thinking.

Is the majority of WDW not outside? Are they not spreading people out as recommended by the CDC? We will find out soon enough if there is any spread due to the theme parks, but if the massive crowded protests across the nation did not do much to spread the virus (as many are saying) than there is no way there will be a surge due to WDW.

Flying_High

Is the majority of WDW not outside? Are they not spreading people out as recommended by the CDC? We will find out soon enough if there is any spread due to the theme parks, but if the massive crowded protests across the nation did not do much to spread the virus (as many are saying) than there is no way there will be a surge due to WDW.
I'm with you on wanting to go to Disney in August which I had planned to do. It is outside and if people obey the rules, there is a small chance you get sick. The problem is what happens when all of those people who followed the rules at Disney leave the park and go into Orlando without a mask and get everyone sick? They might return to their states or countries and start a new wave of infections.

I don't live in Florida, so I can only go by what I have seen on the news as to how well any social guidelines or mask use is, but it didn't look like people knew a global pandemic was going on around them.

Flying_High

"Although COVID infection numbers are rising in Florida, the death rate is not, suggesting health professionals may be getting a better handle on the treatment of the virus."
There is about a two week lag from new cases to deaths. If most patients are young, the death rate will be substantially lower, but will they then infect older people at home? If so, that will take another week or two. This same scenario played out in my state.

We can't stay inside forever and we now can handle the virus better because we know its there and can wear masks, etc, but you won't find me on a plane anytime soon around 200 other people or walking around in an amusement park with people wearing a mask as a chin strap.

milordsloth

We can't stay inside forever and we now can handle the virus better because we know its there and can wear masks, etc, but you won't find me on a plane anytime soon around 200 other people or walking around in an amusement park with people wearing a mask as a chin strap.

I still think an amusement park with rules as strict as Disney will be far safer than the crowded streets we've been seeing the past few weeks, or many of the local businesses around me at least. I have no idea what is causing the recent surge in cases in Florida but I do not see it as a reason to stop people from at least a step towards normalcy.

Flying_High

Yep, we can all make predictions. I'm just pointing out the fallacy in addressing a point about death rate with statistics on number of deaths.
This really isn't a prediction. It is factual data observed already in the recent past in other states. The fallacy of the Dr. saying we might have a better handle on how to treat this virus is patently false. You can look at charts showing the morality rate for each age group. Believing some miracle will happen and this rate will magically become substantially lower is pie in the sky.

What treatments do we have?
1) The malaria drug? Shown to be ineffective
2) Turning a patient on their stomach instead of lying on their backs with vent? Has shown some positive results.
3) Infusion with resistant blood? Shown some positive results, but not much for very sick and elderly.

All of this hope is that younger people will get sick because they have a less chance of dying from the virus than older people. This is true, but it hasn't been something I have seen where I am. Those younger people infect others and eventually the hospital system will become overwhelmed. I have seen it myself in the hospital where I work. It got much worse than I could have ever imagined and they told us it would be very bad beforehand.

The alarm bells will go off the moment the hospitals are nearing capacity and the new cases are still exploding, but by then it will be too late. In reality this isn't a Disney problem. It is a social problem of people treating this virus as if it were a joke and that it is over.

The time to be responsible has come and gone imo. I don't think it really makes a difference at this point. The reason being, positive tests and hospitalizations are exploding and are a precursor to deaths.

Obviously I hope I am wrong on all of this and it will be blown out of proportion and life will go on in a Covid world in a new way.

ksa1314

I still don’t understand why they don’t delay opening. The numbers in Florida are horrible, and they clearly aren’t going down anytime soon. The fact that people are staying on hold for hours just to get park reservations for July sounds crazy to me.
There is community spread in Florida. Cast members will be coming into work sick (unknowingly). Guests will be coming into the parks sick (unknowingly). Is a theme park really worth that? You get sick at Disney and go back home and see your parents, grandparents, and get them sick? All for a theme park? Come on people think for a second!

Walt Disney1955

The horror! You mean human beings who just went to get groceries at a supermarket weren't wrapped up in plastic?

Come on guys, this is getting old. This is the reason we aren't progressing. Everyone, 4 months later is STILL scared out of their wits. You expect a theme park to be normal again with this sort of paranoia going on in the world?

Bob Harlem

There is about a two week lag from new cases to deaths. If most patients are young, the death rate will be substantially lower, but will they then infect older people at home? If so, that will take another week or two. This same scenario played out in my state.

Looking at the new york daily stats, there was no death spike 2 weeks after the peak reported cases on April 15, in fact it went down quite a bit.

Paper straw fan

I still think an amusement park with rules as strict as Disney will be far safer than the crowded streets we've been seeing the past few weeks, or many of the local businesses around me at least. I have no idea what is causing the recent surge in cases in Florida but I do not see it as a reason to stop people from at least a step towards normalcy.

Even with some minimal safety measures in place, it still seems kind of foolish to go to an amusement park at the moment. I live about an hour away, and even with Universal open and having quite sparse crowds, the answer in my house has still been a resounding ‘no’. Going to a theme park while trying to avoid COVID, to be blunt, feels like having ‘safe sex’ with someone with an STD.

ppete1975

The horror! You mean human beings who just went to get groceries at a supermarket weren't wrapped up in plastic?

Come on guys, this is getting old. This is the reason we aren't progressing. Everyone, 4 months later is STILL scared out of their wits. You expect a theme park to be normal again with this sort of paranoia going on in the world?
Youre kidding right? Had we followed protocols months ago wed be free to do anything now.

milordsloth

Even with some minimal safety measures in place, it still seems kind of foolish to go to an amusement park at the moment. I live about an hour away, and even with Universal open and having quite sparse crowds, the answer in my house has still been a resounding ‘no’. Going to a theme park while trying to avoid COVID, to be blunt, feels like having ‘safe sex’ with someone with an STD.

Good thing we live in a place where we have the freedom to choose! I would consider the safety measures more than minimal, but to each their own. I will be there july 11-20th for my first ever visit and I can't wait!

Walt Disney1955

Youre kidding right? Had we followed protocols months ago wed be free to do anything now.

I'm in Canada, and we have been following, as have Americans. You can only force people to stay home for so long. We were told that all they had to do was "flatten the curve" just so there wouldn't be hospitals overwhelmed. I can tell you with great confidence, that hospitals have never been so dead as doorknobs like they are now. Nurses are being sent home and laid off temporarily.

How did staying home for 2 weeks turn into 4 months of it? Enough is enough. You can't do this forever. Life is worth living too, you know? Let's live it.

Storm

Good thing we live in a place where we have the freedom to choose! I would consider the safety measures more than minimal, but to each their own. I will be there july 11-20th for my first ever visit and I can't wait!
Have fun having a terrible experience with a lot of things closed , social distancing , mandatory masks , plus unions are asking Disney to delay the opening as well , your freedom shouldn’t include spreading a disease to other people that lack immunities or older people , that’s called being egotistical. Shame on you.

I'm in Canada, and we have been following, as have Americans. You can only force people to stay home for so long. We were told that all they had to do was "flatten the curve" just so there wouldn't be hospitals overwhelmed. I can tell you with great confidence, that hospitals have never been so dead as doorknobs like they are now. Nurses are being sent home and laid off temporarily.

How did staying home for 2 weeks turn into 4 months of it? Enough is enough. You can't do this forever. Life is worth living too, you know? Let's live it.
In Europe we have really minimal numbers at least in most countries because we went on lockdown for 2 months and respected it the US doomed themselves by not caring about either social distancing or masks , they can only blame themselves this is still going.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom