Should WDW open?

HongKongFooy

I'm not picking and choosing anything, what are you even talking about? Every single news outlet that is reporting on this petition as a petition of "Disney World workers" is fake news. I'm not the one who "picked" the CNN article to share, that was the OP's decision. If he had shared the Fox article, I would have called that fake news too.

......perfect response right there

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Not offended at all. I am quite happy to know we have a Disney employee representative and fake news expert among us.
"Eric Clinton, president of the Unite Here Local 362 union that represents Disney workers, told the Orlando Sentinel he was unaware of the effort and that most employees he's spoken with are "pretty excited" to return to work."
- An actual Disney employee representative

BoarderPhreak

Same headline on FOX, so I guess you can pick and choose which one is quite literally what you want to consider fake...
And Business Insder...

And CNBC...

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
And Business Insder...

And CNBC...

Cool. Both fake news.

Not picking and choosing everything, I'm not sure how many times I have to say this. Literally every single article framing this as a petition of Disney workers is fake news. That's the exact opposite of picking and choosing.

Bairstow

Just a public service announcement:

Before taking the bait from another one of @CaptainAmerica 's "tough guy tantrums", do take into consideration this is the same member who gets upset when people visit lobbies (*gasp! The horror!*) of resorts they are not staying at.

Take the uproar worth a grain of salt. ;)
Wait, really?
What's wrong with visiting a lobby?

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Wait, really?

What's wrong with visiting a lobby?
I don't see it as functionally any different than pool hopping. Resort amenities are for guests of that resort, with the exception of areas specifically designed for public use (i.e. restaurants, the Boardwalk, the Settlement and Ranch areas at Fort Wilderness).

I won't debate it any further in this thread, happy to do so elsewhere.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Most of the headlines in the national media on this topic are doing the typical clickbait thing. While there might be 7,000 people signing these things, it IS NOT 7,000 Cast Members. It’s vitally important to keep that in mind. The headline is misleading and suggests that 7,000 CM’s— that is not what happened.
MyMan.gif

HongKongFooy

An open or closed Disney.........virus lives and spreads irrespective. Unless we hermitize in a cave like Bin Laden or go underground like a survivalist in bunker in Nebraska or there's a drug we will ALL at some point get it be from a handrail in the Space Mnt queue or from Aunt Tilda who herself picked it up at the grocery store.

Minnie Mum

In an attempt to get back on topic, or at least to reply to the OPs question-

No, I don't think they should open yet, given the current state of COVID 19 in Florida. But what I think is immaterial. Disney will do what they want. However, there is no way on God's green earth that I would travel to and visit a theme park even if I could right now.

And no, I'm not a hermit. I have no problem being out and about at home, or travelling somewhere that has their collective act together when it comes to public health. ( hoping to visit Europe as soon as our country is permitted to do so).

For most intelligent people, life in the time of COVID is neither barricading behind an impenetrable wall or running naked in the streets with tens of thousands of similar idiots. It's a matter of taking the precautions recommended by science experts and utilizing whatever common sense God gave you. Giving up, doing whatever you want, and by doing so risk spreading the disease even further and faster, because you think that nothing can help to slow the progression is a large part of the reason the US is in the mess it's in right now. Rant over.

disney4life2008

It's a mistake to open the Disney hotels. Either way you look, tourists will bring the disease. Disney should have only opened to locals and those with an AP who would not stay on property.

But it's a safe bet, Disney is opening. They have made it clear, if you enter their gate, you are accepting responsibility. And I agree.

UNCgolf

It's a mistake to open the Disney hotels. Either way you look, tourists will bring the disease. Disney should have only opened to locals and those with an AP who would not stay on property.

But it's a safe bet, Disney is opening. They have made it clear, if you enter their gate, you are accepting responsibility. And I agree.

At this point, it's more likely tourists will catch the disease from locals in Florida than bring it with them. Outside of a couple of states.

DVCakaCarlF

This is thoughtless fact spewing without knowing the real story. Do you really know how much all CMs make? Do you know for a fact that all of these CMs are making more on Unemployment? Have you dealt with the FL Unemployment System hours upon hours per day for the last 4 months wondering when you're going to receive payment? Have you been facing the daily uncertainty of the situation of when you might be recalled or whether or not you will even have a job when the parks do reopen? Have you read the heartbreaking stories on your Facebook news feed of CMs asking which food banks are open? Do you know any CMs or have you been talking to them, because I know hundreds of them and they all want to go back ASAP.

You're assuming several things here:

- A lot of CMs make more than $15 per hour.
- FL unemployment is $275 per week before taxes, IF you qualify for the full amount. Many aren't getting the full amount for various and unknown reasons. Again, the FL unemployment system is severely broken and it's been 4 months of hours per day sitting in front of a broken website or waiting on hold never speaking to a real person.
- The Cares Act payments are inconsistent at best and many haven't gotten those. Likewise, the $600 is before taxes.
- The additional $600 from the Cares Act goes away at the end of July and the parks will be operating on skeleton crews for awhile. Many CMs have been banking everything they can because they may not be recalled until next year. After July, a lot of CMs will only be getting around $250 per week from Florida Unemployment IF they're in the broken system and that's a VERY BIG IF.

You're right in that some CMs have been receiving around $540 from the Cares Act and around $250 from Florida Unemployment and this may be more than what they were making before. For those in that category to get that money, they've been jumping through endless hoops, are mentally exhausted, and they will probably need this money to make ends meet over the next several months. This has certainly not been a paid vacation and CMs want to go back to work. In fact, I know a lot of CMs that are taking a pay cut, transferring to another department to go back early.

There's always a lot more to a story than throwing around numbers. These are people's livelihood and blanket posts like this are inaccurate and inconsiderate.
What you have described is called being an adult...you do what you need to do to survive, take care of your kids, etc.

I’m self employed, and I would be grateful for any kind of government support or, God forbid, have a consistent job from an employer that wants to hire me back.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I don’t think it should open this year at all. Too many potential twists and there will be a lack of demand for travel that makes it pointless.

But I think it will open...though I’m less confident of that over the last 7 days.

NickMaio

Original Poster
In an attempt to get back on topic, or at least to reply to the OPs question-

No, I don't think they should open yet, given the current state of COVID 19 in Florida. But what I think is immaterial. Disney will do what they want. However, there is no way on God's green earth that I would travel to and visit a theme park even if I could right now.

And no, I'm not a hermit. I have no problem being out and about at home, or travelling somewhere that has their collective act together when it comes to public health. ( hoping to visit Europe as soon as our country is permitted to do so).

For most intelligent people, life in the time of COVID is neither barricading behind an impenetrable wall or running naked in the streets with tens of thousands of similar idiots. It's a matter of taking the precautions recommended by science experts and utilizing whatever common sense God gave you. Giving up, doing whatever you want, and by doing so risk spreading the disease even further and faster, because you think that nothing can help to slow the progression is a large part of the reason the US is in the mess it's in right now. Rant over.
Nice rant.........
I will echo your sentiment.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom