Should WDW open?

epcotisbest

I wonder how this will affect the WDW opening, if at all?

EbUVPa1UwAA71ET.jpg

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Honestly, I personally think it's too soon. Even if cases were not on the rise, which they are.

It's ok to have an opinion. Disney Parks also can decide what they think as well. They also have a fixed cost burn rate for their facilities and added costs for labor.

Buy enough stock in the company and your opinion might count for something.

Magic Crush Drop

I feel that WDW could reopen, but it would have to be very limited to what you can do in the park.
My idea is that they should (for the time being) sell 4 hour time slots to visit the park. Then maybe have some time to clean most of the place before the next group comes in.

CLEtoWDW

This virus has absolutely destroyed our perspective on the risk versus return model. We take risks every single day: get in cars, get on airplanes, eat food that’s high in sodium, sugar, or fat, drink alcohol, smoke, etc.
What we have lost perspective of particularly is the freedom we have to take those risks as a part of our continual pursuit of life, liberty, and happiness. Some people won’t be comfortable entering a Disney park until COVID is mitigated completely and I completely understand that stance. However, some people are comfortable living in an environment where COVID is present and unmitigated because they feel the prudent risk is worth the return of the experience of having a Disney park trip. There’s nothing wrong with either stance but what I do take issue with is the extremely loud minority that continually smacks their shoe on the table like petulant children in favor of continued shutdowns of private enterprises. That group of people doesn’t deserve a voice because what they are fighting for impedes on the freedom of others to pursue what they are comfortable doing.

Disstevefan1

WDW definitely should not open, but they're going to, so not much to discuss.

I agree on both points. The COVID numbers recently in FL are really bad, even the hospitalizations and deaths are beginning to creep up, but I also know WDW will not reverse its decision.

Hold on to your hats (masks) and glasses, we are in for a wild ride....

Jon81uk

I feel that WDW could reopen, but it would have to be very limited to what you can do in the park.
My idea is that they should (for the time being) sell 4 hour time slots to visit the park. Then maybe have some time to clean most of the place before the next group comes in.

The current plan already limits what you can do in the park, with no character meets, no parade, no fireworks and limited table service dining.

The cleaning of surfaces is less of the issue, its more the proximity to other people. both for cast and guests.
With regards to your timed ticket idea, the morning guests would likely meet the afternoon guests as they changeover, which therefore makes it worse if there is a large number at the TTC etc.

Having a low attendance in the park (and therefore have a capped attendance for booking the day) is the simplist, but they need to maintain distancing in the park well, including in cast break rooms and similar.
Personally at the moment I don't think the infection rate is low enough and it is going to be hard to avoid it spreading between CMs, they should wait another couple of weeks, same as California are doing..

Last edited:

Flying_High

Disneyland just shut down due to the out of control California virus problem and so will DisneyWorld. I have a trip planned in August and I'm devastated it looks like it won't happen now.

Lets think about this a moment.

Disneyworld is just about two weeks away from opening. They have to prepare crew and other things. They have to let people know who made reservations on airlines and took vacation to go to Disneyworld pretty soon if its still on. This opening was before the maddening increase in virus cases. Here is my guess and I'm pretty sure I will be right. Disney will announce a delay in opening for Disneyworld at around 5pm on Friday June 26.

Why will they do this? For the same reason they did it at Disneyland. The virus is out of control in Florida due to many factors, one of which is people not following the guidelines to wear masks and social distance. Disney can make people sign a waiver for their own health, but what happens if those people that go to the park and get sick bring it home to an innocent victim. I wonder if they can sue especially if Disney does not strictly enforce the social distancing and mask wearing guidelines.

In a perfect world (not a fantasy world), if money were no factor, this park would be closed until the end of the year or until Florida meets the CDC guidelines for the virus.

My heart goes out to the people of Florida and California.

Jon81uk

This virus has absolutely destroyed our perspective on the risk versus return model. We take risks every single day: get in cars, get on airplanes, eat food that’s high in sodium, sugar, or fat, drink alcohol, smoke, etc.
What we have lost perspective of particularly is the freedom we have to take those risks as a part of our continual pursuit of life, liberty, and happiness. Some people won’t be comfortable entering a Disney park until COVID is mitigated completely and I completely understand that stance. However, some people are comfortable living in an environment where COVID is present and unmitigated because they feel the prudent risk is worth the return of the experience of having a Disney park trip. There’s nothing wrong with either stance but what I do take issue with is the extremely loud minority that continually smacks their shoe on the table like petulant children in favor of continued shutdowns of private enterprises. That group of people doesn’t deserve a voice because what they are fighting for impedes on the freedom of others to pursue what they are comfortable doing.

But some people taking greater risk means someone else taking a smaller risk may then get infected. Its not like most of the other things where the actions of others have less effect on you.

If I decide not to take larger risks and only go to the supermarket, but someone else decides to travel to a theme park, come back and then go to the supermarket then it still increases the risk of it spreading, even though I personally took less risk.
Once the spread of infection is lower then more places can open up as the chance of someone picking up the virus gets lower.

EarthboundChild

What we have lost perspective of particularly is the freedom we have to take those risks as a part of our continual pursuit of life, liberty, and happiness.
The difference between those risks versus the COVID risk is that if you contract the disease then you become a carrier that then transmits it to others. Essentially you potentially endanger someone else's life, liberty and happiness. If it was a regular disease you could easily quarantine yourself when you contract the symptoms but the reason why this virus has been such a problem is the asymptomatic period where you are unknowingly spreading the disease, which is why there are those 14 day self-quarantine procedures if you came from high risk areas. Then of course once you contract and spread the disease those you have been in contact with also become asymptomatic carriers (hence the importance of contact tracing) and so on and so forth, resulting in a domino effect. You essentially become an endangerment to society at large. Just consider for a moment that the virus outbreak started with just a handful of individuals pursuing life, liberty and happiness (note I am not blaming them because obviously the virus wasn't a thing until it became a thing, just noting how just a few carriers can cause a worldwide crisis)

In situations such as cars (unless you happen to be the reckless/drunk driver in which case there are also laws to mitigate that), airplanes and unhealthy diets your risk is primarily concentrated on yourself and arguably those just within your immediate vicinity.

TLDR: [see picture]
6c9.jpg

Last edited:

Disorbust

They have already recalled their cast and I think it would be hell with the union to turn around now.

and then there is the DVC problem. They have to let owners have the chance to use their points or it will be a complete meltdown.

I think they will open but park hours and days they are open will be fluid ImHO. Think about it , if they have low reservations for Epcot on a monday they can say "we will be closing Epcot today and have moved your reservation to...... I'm sure there is a "all reservations subject to change" clause.

eliza61nyc

CNN: Disney World workers petition to delay reopening as Florida coronavirus cases surge.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/24/media/disney-world-petition-trnd/index.html

Honestly, I personally think it's too soon. Even if cases were not on the rise, which they are.

We love WDW, it's not going anywhere.
Another month or two could save a lot of lives and even more hospital cases.
You're more generous than me Nick, I think they should have bagged the rest of the year. Florida is a hot mess right now
But I do think folks get the right to chose what their comfort level is. now I'm a dvc member so maybe for me it's a different situation. I know at some point I will be back. yeah, this year I'll lose about 40 points from cancelling my vacation. lol I can deal with that. I do wonder how disney will handle the lawsuits and yes someone is going to sue. someone is going to claim Disney did not do enough to ensure their safety.
I'm not surprised they are opening. money talks above all else in this country.

Last edited:

NickMaio

Original Poster
You're more generous than me Nick, I think they should have bagged the rest of the year. Florida is a hot mess right now
But I do think folks get the right to chose what their comfort level is. now I'm a dvc member so maybe for me it's a different situation. I know at some point I will be back. yeah, this year I'll lose about 40 points from cancelling my vacation. lol I can deal with that. I do wonder how disney will handle the lawsuits and yes someone is going to sue. someone is going to claim Disney did not do enough to ensure their safety.
I'm not surprised they are opening. money talks above all else in this country.
Sadly, you are correct on many levels.
You really should not loose your points though.
That's greasy on WDW to do that.

NickMaio

Original Poster
The difference between those risks versus the COVID risk is that if you contract the disease then you become a carrier that then transmits it to others. Essentially you potentially endanger someone else's life, liberty and happiness. If it was a regular disease you could easily quarantine yourself when you contract the symptoms but the reason why this virus has been such a problem is the asymptomatic period where you are unknowingly spreading the disease, which is why there are those 14 day self-quarantine procedures if you came from high risk areas. Then of course once you contract and spread the disease those you have been in contact with also become asymptomatic carriers (hence the importance of contact tracing) and so on and so forth, resulting in a domino effect. You essentially become an endangerment to society at large. Just consider for a moment that the virus outbreak started with just a handful of individuals pursuing life, liberty and happiness (note I am not blaming them because obviously the virus wasn't a thing until it became a thing, just noting how just a few carriers can cause a worldwide crisis)

In situations such as cars (unless you happen to be the reckless/drunk driver in which case there are also laws to mitigate that), airplanes and unhealthy diets your risk is primarily concentrated on yourself and arguably those just within your immediate vicinity.

TLDR: [see picture]
View attachment 479090
The whole reason we are ALL dealing with this now is because 1 country chose to go about life as if nothing was wrong. And deny an issue even existed.
We all are trying to clean up a global mess now.
Things might have been different if containment was priority one from the start.

WDW us a portal flood door to spread this virus even before cold and flu season kicks off.
Opening those doors is the most asinine plan of the year.

To those doing their part now thank you. And take care. Have a great weekend.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
The whole reason we are ALL dealing with this now is because 1 country chose to go about life as if nothing was wrong. And deny an issue even existed.
We all are trying to clean up a global mess now.
Things might have been different if containment was priority one from the start.

WDW us a portal flood door to spread this virus even before cold and flu season kicks off.
Opening those doors is the most asinine plan of the year.

To those doing their part now thank you. And take care. Have a great weekend.

Sure....blame Sweden.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom