Should WDW open?

phillip9698

Sure, every state and country just needs to force anyone heading there into a 14 day quarantine upon return. That way everyone wins, people who want to go to Disney World get their wish and the people who dont want to get sick from those people are protected as well.

UNCgolf

Sure, every state and country just needs to force anyone heading there into a 14 day quarantine upon return. That way everyone wins, people who want to go to Disney World get their wish and the people who dont want to get sick from those people are protected as well.

This is something that could actually happen.

Well, I doubt they will FORCE anyone, but I would not be surprised to see states recommend a 14 day quarantine for anyone who has visited WDW. There are some states already doing that for people who went on vacation to Myrtle Beach.

Disstevefan1

Disneyland just shut down due to the out of control California virus problem and so will DisneyWorld. I have a trip planned in August and I'm devastated it looks like it won't happen now.

Lets think about this a moment.

Disneyworld is just about two weeks away from opening. They have to prepare crew and other things. They have to let people know who made reservations on airlines and took vacation to go to Disneyworld pretty soon if its still on. This opening was before the maddening increase in virus cases. Here is my guess and I'm pretty sure I will be right. Disney will announce a delay in opening for Disneyworld at around 5pm on Friday June 26.

Why will they do this? For the same reason they did it at Disneyland. The virus is out of control in Florida due to many factors, one of which is people not following the guidelines to wear masks and social distance. Disney can make people sign a waiver for their own health, but what happens if those people that go to the park and get sick bring it home to an innocent victim. I wonder if they can sue especially if Disney does not strictly enforce the social distancing and mask wearing guidelines.

In a perfect world (not a fantasy world), if money were no factor, this park would be closed until the end of the year or until Florida meets the CDC guidelines for the virus.

My heart goes out to the people of Florida and California.

I think WDW will still open. If they open or not, it will be WDW’s decision only. WDW tells the county and state what to do, not the other way around.

Mickey5150

This virus has absolutely destroyed our perspective on the risk versus return model. We take risks every single day: get in cars, get on airplanes, eat food that’s high in sodium, sugar, or fat, drink alcohol, smoke, etc.
What we have lost perspective of particularly is the freedom we have to take those risks as a part of our continual pursuit of life, liberty, and happiness. Some people won’t be comfortable entering a Disney park until COVID is mitigated completely and I completely understand that stance. However, some people are comfortable living in an environment where COVID is present and unmitigated because they feel the prudent risk is worth the return of the experience of having a Disney park trip. There’s nothing wrong with either stance but what I do take issue with is the extremely loud minority that continually smacks their shoe on the table like petulant children in favor of continued shutdowns of private enterprises. That group of people doesn’t deserve a voice because what they are fighting for impedes on the freedom of others to pursue what they are comfortable doing.
This argument is completely wrong about risk vs return. The more accurate description would be if I'm in a restaurant having dinner and the person next to me is eating something high in sodium and I get heart disease. If the person next to me in a bar is getting drunk and I get liver disease, or if someone around me is smoking and I get cancer. Actually since we know that one is a problem we ban people from smoking indoors since it can kill others.

ppete1975

yes,
a) the economy in the us is not built to shut down for this amount of time
b) they (state federal) need to enforce the guidelines.. you dont want to wear a mask stay home. These should be fine able offenses.
c) the reason we shutdown was for the hospitals to catch up if the surge happened.. the jury is out if we are any better prepared now
d) who says a vaccine or cure is coming
e) this might be the new normal... there may not be help coming.. should disney never reopen... should businesses never reopen.

I hate to sound like an alarmist, but our track record with covid vaccines is not good, and no matter how the media wants to spin it.... there may be no vaccine or cure... ever.

The economy cannot take more closures.

BTW i was a fan of closing things, im a fan of masks and social distancing, and i hate that people will die but there may not be another choice.

Flying_High

e) this might be the new normal... there may not be help coming.. should disney never reopen... should businesses never reopen.

Any place that has mass crowds should not open. It really is that simple. Lets see, do I want to go out to a bar with 500 people tonight and have 200 of them in the hospital next week or would I rather stay home for 4 months and not get my family and friends sick? I know the answer to this question because I have done it. In my state, NJ, they enforced the social distancing and masks and closed for 100 days and now just starting phases of reopening.

People in those areas that are getting hammered now have been careless due to overconfidence and imo are being mislead by state officials. They opened way too early and eventually will have to close anyway. I can't go to disney in August now because I will have to self quarantine for 14 days when I get back if I do.

I can't stress this enough having seen it in person at the hospital I work. Do not underestimate the ability of this virus to spread and cause serious problems for you, regardless if you are young or not. Be safe and wear the mask people.

ppete1975

Any place that has mass crowds should not open. It really is that simple. Lets see, do I want to go out to a bar with 500 people tonight and have 200 of them in the hospital next week or would I rather stay home for 4 months and not get my family and friends sick? I know the answer to this question because I have done it. In my state, NJ, they enforced the social distancing and masks and closed for 100 days and now just starting phases of reopening.

People in those areas that are getting hammered now have been careless due to overconfidence and imo are being mislead by state officials. They opened way too early and eventually will have to close anyway. I can't go to disney in August now because I will have to self quarantine for 14 days when I get back if I do.

I can't stress this enough having seen it in person at the hospital I work. Do not underestimate the ability of this virus to spread and cause serious problems for you, regardless if you are young or not. Be safe and wear the mask people.
not my point, my point is that they need to enforce the guidelines and not let people do whatever they want (which is why we are still talking about this), the comment you picked though id love to hear your answer. What if this is the new normal, there is no cure or vaccine, and we are now living with this from now on. When is it ok to reopen things?
Not an attack on you, but its a question nobody wants to answer... and im afraid its because many of us know it might be the truth we are just too scared to admit it.

on another note... if universal, sea world and busch are open in florida why not disney?

G00fyDad

I found this that pretty much sums it all up for those that decide they want Disney to open and not wear a mask.

103692971_2843866902409712_1296240831474660886_n.jpg

Here you go folks... for those people who don't understand what it means to be on a ventilator but want to take the chance of going out without a mask...
For starters, it's NOT an oxygen mask put over the mouth while the patient is comfortably lying down and reading magazines. Ventilation for Covid-19 is a painful intubation that goes down your throat and stays there until you live or you die.
It is done under anesthesia for 2 to 3 weeks without moving, often upside down, with a tube inserted from the mouth up to the trachea and allows you to breathe to the rhythm of the lung machine. The patient can't talk or eat, or do anything naturally - the machine keeps you alive.
The discomfort and pain they feel from this means medical experts have to administer sedatives and painkillers to ensure tube tolerance for as long as the machine is needed. It's like being in an artificial coma.
After 20 days from this treatment, a young patient loses 40% muscle mass, and gets mouth or vocal cords trauma, as well as possible pulmonary or heart complications.
It is for this reason that old or already weak people can't withstand the treatment and die. Many of us are in this boat ... so stay safe unless you want to take the chance of ending up here. This is NOT the flu.
Add a tube into your stomach, either through your nose or skin for liquid food, a sticky bag around your butt to collect the diarrhea, a foley catheter to collect urine, an IV for fluids and meds, an A-line to monitor your BP that is completely dependent upon finely calculated med doses, teams of nurses, CNA’s and MA’s to reposition your limbs every two hours and lying on a mat that circulates ice cold fluid to help bring down your 104 degree temp.
Anyone want to try all that out? Stay home and wear a mask when you go out! Stay safe and well!

Flying_High

not my point, my point is that they need to enforce the guidelines and not let people do whatever they want (which is why we are still talking about this), the comment you picked though id love to hear your answer. What if this is the new normal, there is no cure or vaccine, and we are now living with this from now on. When is it ok to reopen things?
Not an attack on you, but its a question nobody wants to answer... and im afraid its because many of us know it might be the truth we are just too scared to admit it.

on another note... if universal, sea world and busch are open in florida why not disney?

What if this is the new normal?
It is the new normal. There is no vaccine as you said and no idea when there will be. Consider this disease much more deadly, more easily spread, and has no defenses like the annual flu has with a yearly vaccine. All of this with quarantining and we still have over 120k dead in the US and people are out partying without masks on and wondering why things got so bad.

When is it ok to reopen things?
Things in my state have reopened with the exception of indoor dining, which is coming soon with limited capacity. My state was hit very hard but they were on top of it and NJ is the most densely populated state in the country by square mile.

I work at a large hospital and let me share some information with you to show you the seriousness of this virus. We have roughly 2,500 workers. Of those 2500, 251 as of last week got infected and one died. I'm taking a wild guess on how many workers we have but im trying to make a point that about 10% of our workers got sick and they all are wearing masks, social distancing when possible and washing hands all day long. Every room was made into a negative pressure room. 450 or so patients died of virus minimum as of last week. In one twelve hour shift, 12 patients died during the peak for us in April. We were almost overrun and there was a noticeable panic everywhere. I was frightened to walk in the door. A 90+ year old couple married for over 60 years died. The guy was driving a week before he came into the hospital.

I know how bad this virus can spread because I've witnessed it firsthand. This is the new normal and nothing we do will matter if wearing masks and social distancing is not adhered to. Even with those things people will get sick. Look at all of the states in the country and tell me what those places with huge spikes have been doing that the ones that have very few new cases are doing and tell me what you think the answer is.

eliza61nyc

I found this that pretty much sums it all up for those that decide they want Disney to open and not wear a mask.

View attachment 479133

Here you go folks... for those people who don't understand what it means to be on a ventilator but want to take the chance of going out without a mask...
For starters, it's NOT an oxygen mask put over the mouth while the patient is comfortably lying down and reading magazines. Ventilation for Covid-19 is a painful intubation that goes down your throat and stays there until you live or you die.
It is done under anesthesia for 2 to 3 weeks without moving, often upside down, with a tube inserted from the mouth up to the trachea and allows you to breathe to the rhythm of the lung machine. The patient can't talk or eat, or do anything naturally - the machine keeps you alive.
The discomfort and pain they feel from this means medical experts have to administer sedatives and painkillers to ensure tube tolerance for as long as the machine is needed. It's like being in an artificial coma.
After 20 days from this treatment, a young patient loses 40% muscle mass, and gets mouth or vocal cords trauma, as well as possible pulmonary or heart complications.
It is for this reason that old or already weak people can't withstand the treatment and die. Many of us are in this boat ... so stay safe unless you want to take the chance of ending up here. This is NOT the flu.
Add a tube into your stomach, either through your nose or skin for liquid food, a sticky bag around your butt to collect the diarrhea, a foley catheter to collect urine, an IV for fluids and meds, an A-line to monitor your BP that is completely dependent upon finely calculated med doses, teams of nurses, CNA’s and MA’s to reposition your limbs every two hours and lying on a mat that circulates ice cold fluid to help bring down your 104 degree temp.
Anyone want to try all that out? Stay home and wear a mask when you go out! Stay safe and well!
See the only issue I have is the assumption that this will DEFINITELY happen to you. Remember the vast majority of folks who come down with covid DON'T end up on ventilators

Now I am not advocating running around without a mask at all but scare tactics don't help either.

Lol and no I don't have any answers either

ppete1975

View attachment 479133

So...
a) as horrible as it, isnt it amazing what modern science and health care can do (through most of human history this would not have been possible)
b) do you know how long it takes for the throat and vocal chords to heal, i know removal does quite a bit of damage

ppete1975

What if this is the new normal?
It is the new normal. There is no vaccine as you said and no idea when there will be. Consider this disease much more deadly, more easily spread, and has no defenses like the annual flu has with a yearly vaccine. All of this with quarantining and we still have over 120k dead in the US and people are out partying without masks on and wondering why things got so bad.

When is it ok to reopen things?
Things in my state have reopened with the exception of indoor dining, which is coming soon with limited capacity. My state was hit very hard but they were on top of it and NJ is the most densely populated state in the country by square mile.

I work at a large hospital and let me share some information with you to show you the seriousness of this virus. We have roughly 2,500 workers. Of those 2500, 251 as of last week got infected and one died. I'm taking a wild guess on how many workers we have but im trying to make a point that about 10% of our workers got sick and they all are wearing masks, social distancing when possible and washing hands all day long. Every room was made into a negative pressure room. 450 or so patients died of virus minimum as of last week. In one twelve hour shift, 12 patients died during the peak for us in April. We were almost overrun and there was a noticeable panic everywhere. I was frightened to walk in the door. A 90+ year old couple married for over 60 years died. The guy was driving a week before he came into the hospital.

I know how bad this virus can spread because I've witnessed it firsthand. This is the new normal and nothing we do will matter if wearing masks and social distancing is not adhered to. Even with those things people will get sick. Look at all of the states in the country and tell me what those places with huge spikes have been doing that the ones that have very few new cases are doing and tell me what you think the answer is.
oklahoma-
a) demonstrations blm etc- although a much higher amount of people wore masks there was still a good rise in our numbers due to it (including an osu football player from and early tulsa rally)
b) The trump speech (his supporters threw down the masks and said they werent afraid)
c) Many things reopened, restaurants indoor and outdoor, gyms, every possible store and mall ... in some places 1 in 5 wear masks most places 1-100 (its usually me thats wearing it), no social distancing .. everyone herding together like cattle. Here they are following trump who acts like it was a myth brought by the media and they dont think its real and dont think they will catch it.

our numbers are going up quickly- i have actually decided to re quarantine myself to stay safe (luckily i can work from home)

BASS

I think Disney made the appropriate decision at that time to reopen. However, judging as to how things have gone here in Florida, I think it'd be wise for them to at least consider a delay. There is already a lot of speculation whether the state will re-enter lockdown or take more active measures seeing as how the cases are rising.

G00fyDad

So...
a) as horrible as it, isnt it amazing what modern science and health care can do (through most of human history this would not have been possible)
b) do you know how long it takes for the throat and vocal chords to heal, i know removal does quite a bit of damage

They can do damage even inserting the ventilator tube. It could take up to six weeks for you to fully heal from the damage depending on the severity.

G00fyDad

See the only issue I have is the assumption that this will DEFINITELY happen to you. Remember the vast majority of folks who come down with covid DON'T end up on ventilators

Now I am not advocating running around without a mask at all but scare tactics don't help either.

Lol and no I don't have any answers either

But I'm not okay with playing russian roulette to see Mickey Mouse. That's kind of the point here.

Storm

If only the US citizens and governors took example of what happened in most European countries and how we actually went through it , but nope... “MUH FREEDOM” is more important and apparently so is going to Disney to see Mickey and going to tan at the beach. The whole world is watching America and it’s really not a good show but laughable nonetheless

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom