should i do sci-fi dine in theatre

eroyee

:wave: Do yourself a favor. take the kids to Toy Story Pizza Planet instead. the food is not that good and neither is the movie. Plus, the cars are really crowded and you sit in back of each other. and, we had ressies once and STILL had to wait a long time. No way. Just my opinion...........

justducky78

I love the Sci-Fi drive-in. It's such a fun theme and you'll feel like you stepped back in time. Great way to beat the heat and grab lunch at MGM. No, the menu isn't great (especially for vegetarians like me - basically just a veggie burger, that's it) but the menu at Prime-Time isn't any better. I say try it anyway - go for the experience and you won't be disappointed. The kids will love it.

Oh - and I don't know what people are talking about (the seating being cramped?) as my husband and I have never had a problem with that. Most of the cars/seats are facing the movie screen (not facing each other) but there are some tables where you can sit across from each other. I think those are reserved for larger groups, though.

Kadee

Sci Fi was good the first time we went. After that, it got old quick! If you haven't been, go. But, from what I remember, all the seats (except the picnic tables in the very back) are set up just like cars: two per seat and no one facing each other. We don't care for it any more. The food isn't that great. Shakes were wonderful, though.

Dwarful

Ok, the theme is great! Yes, they have 'cars' that are set up like cars but have table and chairs so you can sit together as a family, individual chairs. You can let them know in advance that you prefer NOT to be in a forward car. Shouldn't be a problem. My husband is a big guy and we can sit together and fit three girls in one row. We had a bad experience at Mama Melrose and haven't been back. Every place has its off day,but if you haven't been before I'd say go for it.

ThinkTink721

From what I can remember all the cars have seats in front and back. I do not think any face each other because that would defeat the purpose of being at a drive-in.

In the back of the room though they have patio type tables that are circular. There you could see the screen and the kids all at the same time but you lose the novelty of being in a car.

Like other people that posted I do want to warn you that the food quality at the Sci-Fi has gone down sharply. I was really excited to bring my DW there for her first visit to the Sci-Fi last year and we ended up being disappointed with the quality of both the service and the food.
What about the milkshakes?...I have heard some good things about those...
Did you have one?
:veryconfu

ThinkTink721

This is what the cars are like:

http://pics.livejournal.com/lilclerk/pic/001ta7sq
They also have round patio tables with umbrellas over them (feels like you're sitting outside at a picnic) and cars with long tables and chairs inside that seat 6 for larger parties. You could possibly request one of those tables.

Personally, I think Sci-Fi is a great choice for lunch, especially with kids. It's a lot of fun, and the burgers, shakes and ice cream sundaes are great. My boyfriend loved his chicken sandwich and onion rings (they're huge, as you can see in the picture!)
It's worth a try, especially since it's free!
That's what we want to try...the shakes...or maybe an order of the onion rings!:slurp:

nankeldisney821

I just want to give my 2 cents worth...if it helps... I have been there many times and we try to make it a point to go everytime we go to WDW. I think the theme would be great for your kids. :) I have 2 nephews that are 8 & 10 and they are very unruly at times and they love this place too.

From what I remember, there are some tables that are sideways in the car but are a table not the booth type so you can sit across from each other. There are those tables in the back also like other people have said that are actual tables with umbrellas. My opinion would be to try the car and just put the kids on the inside because there is only one side to get in and out of. I really think they will get a kick out of the whole atmosphere.

You do need to see for yourself about the food. I hate when so many people say so much about places to discourage so many people from trying someplace new. It is all a matter of taste and your own opinion so please try it for yourself and give it a chance and if then you don't like it, you will know not to go back. But please try it and I am sure your kids will like it. If you went to Pizza Planet, it feels to me like it is just another Pizza/arcade type place and not that original. Don't get me wrong, I am not bashing that place because I was only in there once a few years ago but I am just saying that if you want to do something original and different then try Sci-Fi. :slurp:

Tinkerbella16

We ate there our past trip in November. The food selections could have been better. Yes, the cars fit 2 in front and 2 in back for 4 people. But they do have bigger cars. The food was good. I really liked the atmosphere....it feels like night time under the stars. I felt a little rushed. And the movie wasnt that good at all. Try it outtt

ThinkTink721

Do yourself a favor. take the kids to Toy Story Pizza Planet instead. the food is not that good and neither is the movie. Plus, the cars are really crowded and you sit in back of each other. and, we had ressies once and STILL had to wait a long time. No way. Just my opinion...........
Here's another vote for Pizza Planet!:slurp:

2excitedkids

Original Poster
i am not even going to consider pizza planet for the kids. we have a chuckee cheese nearby and those 2 kids can stay in there all day! we don't want to "waste" time by playing video games. hubby is the worst he could stay in there all the time, so the problem would be prying him away. we can play games around the house, i want this to be a neat dining experience for them. i am still tossed up though. hubby and i are larger people, so i am not sure that all 4 of us could fit into 1 seat though. the kids are little but we are definitely not, and both of us are 6 foot tall and better!

fizzle75

We love Sci-Fi and have been going there every trip since it opened. The food might not be the best in the world, but the atmosphere is terrific! We are going this Sept for DH birthday dinner, he loves anything to do with cars.

I would say... if you really want to experience it, than try it once. You can make up your own opinion AFTER trying it. Look at the pics online, many people have posted pics from the inside. I for one, will not go back to the 50's Prime Time. It seems like we just don't have as much fun there like we used to. :wave:

Have a great time, no matter where you choose to go!
My wife and I loooove Sci Fi Dine In! You have to look at it more as an attraction than a restaurant though. I think they perfectly capture the feel of going to a drive in theater, sure the food isn't Victoria and Albert's quality but that's not what they are shooting for. It's a great place to get a good burger and an amazing shake (they have one of the best Oreo milkshakes I have ever had)while soaking in all the great atmosphere. I think Sci Fi Dine In probably appeals more to those who have fond memories of actually going to a Drive In, it is very nostalgic. I reccomend it highly and I think you should at least give it a try. We ate at Mama Melrose for the first(and probably last)time back in April and we weren't very impressed.
mattskeeteratscifidinein.jpg

sbkline

We ate there on our trip last month, and really enjoyed it...both the food and the atmosphere. My steak was awesome...at least after I discovered that the nasty smell emanating from it was due to the mushrooms they piled on top of it. Once I removed those nasty things, the smell vanished, and I had an awesome perfect steak underneath. :lol: We loved the atmosphere, too. It's definitely a place I would be willing to do again...well, except for the fact that there are so many places I want to try that I have pretty much decided to do different restaraunts on every trip.

2excitedkids

Original Poster
My wife and I loooove Sci Fi Dine In! You have to look at it more as an attraction than a restaurant though. I think they perfectly capture the feel of going to a drive in theater, sure the food isn't Victoria and Albert's quality but that's not what they are shooting for. It's a great place to get a good burger and an amazing shake (they have one of the best Oreo milkshakes I have ever had)while soaking in all the great atmosphere. I think Sci Fi Dine In probably appeals more to those who have fond memories of actually going to a Drive In, it is very nostalgic. I reccomend it highly and I think you should at least give it a try. We ate at Mama Melrose for the first(and probably last)time back in April and we weren't very impressed.
mattskeeteratscifidinein.jpg
awww!!! how cute both of you are in the back seat:D

by the looks at that pic there is no way me hubby and 2 kids can fit in one seat like mentioned above! me and hubby probably would take up the whole seat with one of my cheeks still hanging out!:ROFLOL:

SPOERLX3

Sci-fi, Yummy Burgers And Shakes

Nothing Better At Mgm Than A Burger & Shake From The Sci-fi. We Go Every Time We Are There. Burgers Are On The Menu At Lunch, But Not At Dinner, So If You Are There For Dinner, Just Ask, They Will Make You One. Too Bad You Can't Get The Fantasmic Dinner Package At Sci-fi. The Sci-fi Is A Blast And A Very Unique Atmosphere. If you only go for a shake, it is worth it, they are the best and the atmosphere is amazing.

no2apprentice

the biggest question i have is that there are 4 of us, 2 kids and 2 adults. we want to be able to sit together to eat (sometimes dad can get them to eat better or sometimes I can).
We enjoy going to Sci-Fi for lunch, but then we are wife, two teen sons, and myself. If you want to ensure everyone sits together, I would recommend passing on Sci-Fi. If you wind up in a car where it's 2 + 2 (and I think chances are, you would), then why take a chance on a bad experience?

The "movie" is a collection of trailers from some old "B" sci-fi films from the late 50's and early 60's, plus old drive-in concession ads. There is one Disney short animated clip, but everything else is not recognizable by most people under 30 unless you appreciate that genre (which my whole family does...I've trained them well :D ). Most of the trailers are black and white. It runs about 50 minutes long before it starts over.

You would be the best judge of whether your family would enjoy that experience, especially the kids.

sorceresssamara

the biggest question i have is that there are 4 of us, 2 kids and 2 adults. we want to be able to sit together to eat (sometimes dad can get them to eat better or sometimes I can). are all the "Cars" laid out so that basically 2 people are in front and 2 people are in back? i already made a ressie for there for sept. just because i had heard/seen something about a glowing frisbee dessert thing there for kids. but needless to say i don't see that on the menu anymore. my kids are 6 and 4 so watching the screen they could care less about.

what is everyone's opinion on this place, we are doing lunch here one day. i was leaning towards mama melrose but thought the kids would like this.

thanks all!

They do have have bigger cars to sit in. I wasn't very impressed with eating there. I would definitely check the menu because they have different food choices. I'm not going to tell you not to do it, but I think the kids may enjoy sitting in the cars and the atmosphere. If I had to choose between Sci Fi and Mama Melrose I would pick Sci Fi. They may also get a kick out of 50's prime time.

SPOERLX3

We Love Sci-fi

If you ask my kids, 17 & 14 where they want to go eat while at Disney~they say SCI-FI everytime. We don't go every year, but they never forget it. THE BURGERS, ONION RINGS AND SHAKES are the BEST and the atmosphere is amazing. Go for lunch since burgers aren't on the menu for dinner. You won't be sorry. There are a few tables that face each other in a car but they are for bigger parties, just ask and be willing to wait a little longer.

MattyFresh

I have only eaten there once. My 2 brothers, mom, dad, and myself. We were ate at a regular table with chairs, not in the cramped car booths, which may have been a benefit. Its a cool place to do once, if not doing the DDP then I would agree with the others who said to eat there for lunch. But of course in Oct the gf just has to eat there, so I will be going back.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom