Should Disney remove or alter the "Bride auction scene" from POTC?

Should Disney remove, alter, or leave alone the "Bride auction scene" from POTC?

• Yes, remove it and replace it!

Votes: 5 1.4%
  • No, leave it be!

Votes: 349 95.1%
  • Don't remove it altogether, but make some changes/updates.

Votes: 10 2.7%
  • I'm not sure...

Votes: 3 0.8%

• Total voters

Tom Morrow

In all seriousness, in this day and age I feel like it's only a matter of time before people take issue with the fact that the scene includes fat shaming jokes and fight to have that dialogue removed.

Otterhead

It is a slave auction. The women are being sold into sexual slavery. The presentation of the attraction is goofy, but it is never suggested that the pirates are just having a lark and playing make believe.
I didn't say they were; I said it's ridiculous to compare it to an auction of black slaves with a plantation owner whipping men in chains. None of those things happen in Pirates of the Caribbean. The ride has always had "rapey" overtones, many of which have been toned down over the years.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Millenials................Are you suggesting Juan and Jose be updated in the Tiki Room because you know...parrot racism?.... Of course you are......Millenial PC is destroying the world....and its not just Disney's........

IMFearless

How presumptuous to assume that the brides are actually women - or the pirates men for that matter - perhaps they are transgender pirates? Should transgender pirates not be represented in this attraction?

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Have you been talking to a bus driver?

Yep....a Monorail driver and boat skipper to boot....... Many of them have said a roller coaster was being built at Downtown Disney for years.......some said a Star Wars land was in the cards....Well a roller coaster built at the Springs....not yet............but......A Star Wars Land...Well they got that right.

Next you are going to say ....JAWA s ....are an example of racial shaming.........Did you get on the bandwagon first?..........If not.....Go for it.

mousehockey37

How presumptuous to assume that the brides are actually women - or the pirates men for that matter - perhaps they are transgender pirates? Should transgender pirates not be represented in this attraction?

How do we know that they didn't do that from the start and they did such a good job at hiding it that the men look like men and the women look like women? :jawdrop:

In all seriousness, in this day and age I feel like it's only a matter of time before people take issue with the fact that the scene includes fat shaming jokes and fight to have that dialogue removed.

Yup. Before you know it, you'll have to be vetted to get on Aladdin's carpets and you'll need your REAL passport to go through the World Showcase.

Oddysey

Yep, just like the original Habit Heroes that opened a few years ago in Innoventions. That only lasted a week. We are living in a different time.

Last edited:

Tom Morrow

Pirates of the Caribbean sex slave auction scene, updated for 2017:
Auctioneer: "Each of these (non-gender specific) individuals are looking for fun, but are absolutely not here for hookups so if that's what you're looking for, move along"
Drunk pirates: "Each one is so beautiful in their own way I don't even know where to begin"

Drunk pirates: "Each one is so beautiful in their own way I don't even know where to begin"
Not sure I can approve of this as being family-friendly, since promoting drunken or disorderly behavior isn't exactly PC. Maybe alter the "drunk pirates" part to be jolly pirates instead? Also, as an advocate for all forms of living creatures, big and small, I find it highly offensive toward the earth's insect population that Capt. Barbossa cries out "Strike your colours you bloomin' cockroaches!" during the ship battle scene. Indicating that cockroaches are violent beings is not only false information, but insulting to the species. They don't bloom either.

Otterhead

Yep, just like the original Habit Heroes that opened a few years ago in Innoventions. That only lasted a week. We are living in a different time.
The original Habit Heroes was weirdly tasteless. Mocking fat people as being lazy villains was probably not the best idea at WDW, which definitely sees no shortage of fat people. It lasted a month, btw.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom