Should Disney remove or alter the "Bride auction scene" from POTC?

Should Disney remove, alter, or leave alone the "Bride auction scene" from POTC?

• Yes, remove it and replace it!

Votes: 5 1.4%
  • No, leave it be!

Votes: 349 95.1%
  • Don't remove it altogether, but make some changes/updates.

Votes: 10 2.7%
  • I'm not sure...

Votes: 3 0.8%

• Total voters

MarkTheParker

Original Poster
I'm currently researching the changes/censorship in POTC's recent-ish history for a possible video. As times are a changin', I'm very curious to see how many (if any) of you guys and gals think the somewhat controversial "auction scene" should be left alone, altered, or removed...I know, it's blasphemy to many, but I'm just curious to hear some opinions regarding the scene's future considering societies (and Disney's) increasing sensitivity to any inappropriate or negative depictions of race, gender or stereotypes...even if "historically" accurate.

For the record, I don't intend for this to come across with any sort of negative connotation. I think there could be valid opinions on every side of the matter, and I'd be curious to hear them all; whether for, or against, any changes.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

Yes, because what good is not over-reacting to a comic situation. Seriously, there are very few pirate auctions of women happening in the world today and it is highly unlikely that someone will get the idea of doing so would be beneficial and modeled after the POTC. After all... it's gold they be after. It is for laughs, not to be taken seriously. If people cannot see it for what it is, then they truly should find a suitable rock to live under.

If we really want to get morally enraged, perhaps the "fake news" concept of "Bride Auction" should be looked at closer. "It ain't no bride they be after" either.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I'm currently researching the changes/censorship in POTC's recent-ish history for a possible video. As times are a changin', I'm very curious to see how many (if any) of you guys and gals think the somewhat controversial "auction scene" should be left alone, altered, or removed...I know, it's blasphemy to many, but I'm just curious to hear some opinions regarding the scene's future considering societies (and Disney's) increasing sensitivity to any inappropriate or negative depictions of race, gender or stereotypes...even if "historically" accurate.

For the record, I don't intend for this to come across with any sort of negative connotation. I think there could be valid opinions on every side of the matter, and I'd be curious to hear them all; whether for, or against, any changes.

I voted to make some changes. First, I'd like the woman to be chased by the pirate instead of some wench with a broom theoretically having the upper hand in the chase. She should be scared poopless with the knowledge of what awaits her. Second, I think a brief flash of the undercarriage would be appropriate since 18th century pirates in the Caribbean region were known to often times be the main customers of various brothels and the like. The point being, I'm sure they'd all seen a lot of undercarriages and have different tastes and opinions. Same goes for the larboard side. Thus, I think we all agree that an astute customer would want to see the goods. Finally, I think the addition of a pirate inquiring about the wench he had been chasing but lost would be appropriate. I also think a lot more gore should be added to the cannon boom boom fort scene.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Somewhat contreversial "auction scene" :confused::confused::confused:

Overall my answer would be
untitled.png

Haymarket2008

That would be ridiculous. Pirates have to be friendly people who respect women? It's okay to be shocked by villainous behavior. They pillage and kill in the ride. Should they scrap the whole attraction?

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I think they just need to add a Whoopi Goldberg AA at the beginning of the ride, explaining (in five languages) how times are different now than they were back then, and how we're all living together in peace and harmony these days, so it's OK to remember the past just as long as we're not bound by that behavior... ;)

And then put all the jokes back in just like they were in the '70's, but keep the newer-technology AA's like Barbossa and Jack Sparrow.

So I voted to keep it but change it a bit.

mergatroid

I voted to make some changes. First, I'd like the woman to be chased by the pirate instead of some wench with a broom theoretically having the upper hand in the chase. She should be scared poopless with the knowledge of what awaits her. Second, I think a brief flash of the undercarriage would be appropriate since 18th century pirates in the Caribbean region were known to often times be the main customers of various brothels and the like. The point being, I'm sure they'd all seen a lot of undercarriages and have different tastes and opinions. Same goes for the larboard side. Thus, I think we all agree that an astute customer would want to see the goods. Finally, I think the addition of a pirate inquiring about the wench he had been chasing but lost would be appropriate. I also think a lot more gore should be added to the cannon boom boom fort scene.

The red head wearing the fishnets certainly is the cream of the crop. I commented to Mrs Merg on one occasion that if I was bidding, that the red head would definitely be high on my list. In fact I said if I didn't get her and ended up with one of the others, that I'd probably think "Oh don't bother, save your money and come back tomorrow and try for the red head instead".

It was after saying this out loud to her that I realised that perhaps it's better to think these things through before telling them her, or sometimes to think them and then decide to keep those thoughts to myself :oops:

Last edited:

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
The red head wearing the fishnets certainly is the cream of the crop. I commented to Mrs Merg on one occasion that if I was bidding, that the red head would definitely be high on my list. In fact I said if I didn't get her and ended up with one of the others, that I'd probably think "Oh don't bother, save your money and come back tomorrow and try for the red head instead".

It was after saying this out loud to her that I realised that perhaps it's better to think before telling them her, or sometimes think them and decide to keep those thoughts to myself :oops:
Are you sure it wasn't really Mrs Merg that broke your nose at EPCOT ?

Minnie Mum

I'd much rather see them remove the previous attempts at PC appeasement. They have already come close to ruining one of the best attractions in MK. Put back the original scenes ( but keep Capt. Jack).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom