Should Disney remove or alter the "Bride auction scene" from POTC?

Should Disney remove, alter, or leave alone the "Bride auction scene" from POTC?

• Yes, remove it and replace it!

Votes: 5 1.4%
  • No, leave it be!

Votes: 349 95.1%
  • Don't remove it altogether, but make some changes/updates.

Votes: 10 2.7%
  • I'm not sure...

Votes: 3 0.8%

• Total voters

Courtney6682

Pirates of the Caribbean sex slave auction scene, updated for 2017:
Auctioneer: "Each of these (non-gender specific) individuals are looking for fun, but are absolutely not here for hookups so if that's what you're looking for, move along"
Drunk pirates: "Each one is so beautiful in their own way I don't even know where to begin"

I literally LOL'd!! :D

Since1976

It's not as defined in the WDW version, but in the DL version we get the suggestion that the pirates end up fighting among themselves and blowing themselves up (or at least going up in flames in the fire).

In other words, the pirates' life is not a good one, and these guys aren't role models.

That said, there is a fine line to walk in a family attraction to present the baudy adventures of these characters without also glorifying them. As a dad with a young daughter, I admit the bride auction scene feels less and less funny and a little more cringeworthy with each passing year.

I would suggest doing a subtle twist on the scene, keeping the bride auction element but adding a hidden (or not-so-hidden) detail that suggests that the "buyers" are in for a rude awakening, so-to-speak. Perhaps the brides have weapons hidden behind their backs? Just spit-ballin'.

lazyboy97o

It's not as defined in the WDW version, but in the DL version we get the suggestion that the pirates end up fighting among themselves and blowing themselves up (or at least going up in flames in the fire).

In other words, the pirates' life is not a good one, and these guys aren't role models.

That said, there is a fine line to walk in a family attraction to present the baudy adventures of these characters without also glorifying them. As a dad with a young daughter, I admit the bride auction scene feels less and less funny and a little more cringeworthy with each passing year.

I would suggest doing a subtle twist on the scene, keeping the bride auction element but adding a hidden (or not-so-hidden) detail that suggests that the "buyers" are in for a rude awakening, so-to-speak. Perhaps the brides have weapons hidden behind their backs? Just spit-ballin'.
There is a painting in the caves at Disneyland which implies The Redhead's future.

graphite1326

OH just give me a break with this crap. People have gotten so thin skinned and all this PC is just stupid.
It's all in good fun. Besides, I am married to a redhead and get to say "I got the redhead" I even bought a T shirt with the scene on it and the quote "we want the redhead" on it.

Matt_Black

Lists one Princess getting an upcoming new series, must apply to the general across the board rebranding done to all Princesses a few years back for marketing appeal.

12651fe1121bab9e188ddc0053e6b14b.jpg

What would you call all the storybooks for kids starring the Princesses if not "content"?

MarkTheParker

Original Poster
It's been very interesting reading everyone's thoughts and opinions regarding this topic, thanks to everyone who has given their 2 cents (or a whole nickel in some cents...sorry, bad joke). As tempting as it is to get involved in some of these debates, I've purposefully refrained from expressing any opinion over the matter, as I wanted to get as much of an unbiased response as possible and avoid the thread being about the OP's position. Just so it doesn't appear as if I posted and ditched ;)

Through my research of all the ride changes, there's one thing for the life of me I can't find any info on. Hoping someone more knowledgeable about the non-U.S. parks can help me out and give some insight:

In watching countless POV's and reading articles of the I've been able to (mostly) map out the timeline of changes in DL and the MK POTC changes (or the lack thereof in Paris). However, I can't seem to find info on Tokyo's version of the attraction. Did it originally have the whole "pooped" pirate/undergarments and men chasing women? Was it also changed during the 97' refurbishment? If so, was it like DL which removed any reference of it, or like MK in which they just added a map and gave the girl treasure? Any insight would be most appreciated, as I can't find any info on it prior to the Jack Sparrow additions.

Thanks in advance!

Clover Bailey

No. And this is coming from a liberal person.

POTC is one of the greatest Disney attractions ever. First, pirates couldn't chase women because it was "discriminative" even though this was part of their personality in the attraction. They aren't the good guys. So far the only good pirate is Jack Sparrow, I mean in the current version the whole plot is that they want to capture him. Then the Pooped Pirate's dialogue was replaced because he was "discriminative" too. Do the people who are getting mad even understand that they are not heroes?

Also, the Redhead is probably one of the most well-known characters in the ride. If POTC gets to the point that "we wants the redhead" is no longer said by the drunken pirates, I doubt I will ride the attraction again.

NickMaio

I'm for change - - - - but this is what Pirates did.
Why not create a new scene - - -get rid of that useless mermaid section - they don't work most of the time anyway.

redsfan4life

I've never thought the Redhead was any sort of prisoner. I've always assumed she stepped up to that auction of her own choosing and is merely manipulating the situation to her advantage. Also, her body language conveys that she'll be wearing the pants in any relationship.

I'm mystified that she has to become a literal pirate in order for us to see her as empowering. As far as I'm concerned, she's the strongest character in the attraction.
I can not remember in which film but there was a delated or extra scene of the redhead doing just as you suggested

Clover Bailey

In the next refurb of Pirates Of The Caribbean, the pirates (all lead by Captain Powerful Independent Woman Who Don't Need No Man, or Redhead for short) will fly to Africa and help feed the poor. After, they will attend Starbucks and recall their favorite BuzzFeed articles. Then, they will turn to the riders and tell them they're going to marry their dad... Oh wait, wrong attraction.

Bender123

the main problem I have with much of this is that virtually nobody wants this or had any problem with it. Its always a vocal minority that complains and we end up losing another piece of history.

I just do not understand the mindset of not realizing that pirates do pirate things...they are clearly the bad guys.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom