Should Disney keep Carousel of Progress?

Should the Carousel of Progress Stay Open?

• Yes

Votes: 145 89.5%
  • No

Votes: 17 10.5%

• Total voters

wyattkelly

I think that COP could continue to work, but not in it's current incarnation.

The jumps are kind of ridiculous. From the 40s to present day? no. I vote that it be completely re-habbed, starting in 1900, move to 1940, 1970, and then to modern day. That way every major innovation is shown, from electric washers to radios to television and the internet.

General Grizz

I've been thinking about it. How about scenes that are kinda undefined? For example: turn of the century, 20s and 30s, 60s and 70s, and 2067 (or whatnot). However, I really adore the 40s scene (my favorite of all)...I hope any replacement may be just as good...however, I'm not such a big fan of the 70s if you know what I mean... ;)

I think that the attraction should have a refreshening, but it really needs to contain most of the same originality. Keep it Walt's style, you know.

By far, I'd say the current COP is the best remake I've seen. The music and dialog are wonderful! I'm not sure why people say that it's much worse than Walt's original. It has most of the same dialog, but it really takes advantage of today's technology.

I can't wait to see what the future has in store for it! :D

mickey04

I've always loved CoP, it's one of my favorite rides ar WDW. Just hearing "There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow" always gives me a sentimental "Disney" feeling. I'll be very upset if it closes.

TURKEY

Originally posted by roysta123
Does anyone know if COP will be open between Nov. 2 and Nov. 10th.

Thanks

Right now, I would say no. That's a slow period.

It might depend on if other rides such as HM (rumored for Nightmare Before Christmas) or any other major rides need a rehab.

Just my two cents..

Ok, here's a thought. After reading though most of these replies I've seen some good and bad points. Here's one to "ponder", why not move it to a new location(i liked the idea about Epcot) and add back in the final scenes to give more of a progression effect. Between the 3rd and final is about 70 years difference. Hmm.. could adding back in the other scenes be better?

General Grizz

Adding an extra scene would be pretty cool, but it would be *mighty long*. And as far as the location, either Tomorrowland, EPCOT (maybe in the center of Innoventions, the Oddyssey, or between Imagination! and The Land) - it would fit just fine there. As long as Walt's child is alive and operating, we can look forward to many "great big beautiful tomorrows" with Mr. Disney!

Jekyll

Originally posted by grizzlyhall
Adding an extra scene would be pretty cool, but it would be *mighty long*. And as far as the location, either Tomorrowland, EPCOT (maybe in the center of Innoventions, the Oddyssey, or between Imagination! and The Land) - it would fit just fine there. As long as Walt's child is alive and operating, we can look forward to many "great big beautiful tomorrows" with Mr. Disney!

I completely agree as I have said before but apparently there is a hudge superstructure of Gears below the ride which would make relocation mighty expensive and as we know big mike isn't one for spending money for no reason.

DisneyWorldGuru

Like Jekyll said, Eisner wont put out that kind of money to move COP to a park that has a decline in guest visits. Why put a ride that has a decreased amount of guests into a park with a decreased amount of guests.
:hammer: But I do think it is a good idea, but it is also a Tomorrowland classic.

darthdarrel

I would like COP to stay and be opened for aslong as the parks are open, there are 2 rides that should stay open for an eternity and that is COp and It`s a small world,because those were walts Babies! :D

bamboo7

Originally posted by darthdarrel
I would like COP to stay and be opened for aslong as the parks are open, there are 2 rides that should stay open for an eternity and that is COp and It`s a small world,because those were walts Babies! :D

while i think it is not in the best interest of the company, it is my desire for those to rides to remain open as well.

Herbie53

Premium Member
I don't think there is a feasible way to update CoP within its current size restraints. I love CoP, and I would be afraid that trying too hard to update the attraction could ruin it. I don't think it should be changed.

However, in its current form I don't think it represents Walt's original intent very well. It's outdated, and it just can't keep up. I think someone in this thread mentioned it as being a "museum piece". I think that is an excellent description. I think it functions best as a look at the era of which it is a product. As a former world's fair exhibit, I think it would be a wonderful addition to any history museum. It may not be practical to move or maintain the rotating theater, but I don't see any good reason why the scenes would have to be dismantled.

As for tomorrowland, I would hate to see CoP removed before there was a suitable replacement (e.g. 20,000 Leagues).

JLW11Hi

Originally posted by Herbie53
I don't think there is a feasible way to update CoP within its current size restraints. I love CoP, and I would be afraid that trying too hard to update the attraction could ruin it. I don't think it should be changed.

However, in its current form I don't think it represents Walt's original intent very well. It's outdated, and it just can't keep up. I think someone in this thread mentioned it as being a "museum piece". I think that is an excellent description. I think it functions best as a look at the era of which it is a product. As a former world's fair exhibit, I think it would be a wonderful addition to any history museum. It may not be practical to move or maintain the rotating theater, but I don't see any good reason why the scenes would have to be dismantled.

As for tomorrowland, I would hate to see CoP removed before there was a suitable replacement (e.g. 20,000 Leagues).

I have read on an Imagineering site that the imagineers want to have a place somewhere that can be a kind of "imagineering museum". They had a place in innoventions that displayed to the public how Disney Imagineering works, but it is no longer there. They hesitate to do it, because they never wanted to put a "museum" in a park, but they want to have a place that can showcase some of their works. I can see that many imagineers, like us, don't like to see old attractions taken down, because of all the work they put into them. The animatronics part of the One Man's Dream attraction is kind of a start. I would like to see a place like this built, not necessarily in a park.

Herbie53

Premium Member
Originally posted by JLW11Hi

I have read on an Imagineering site that the imagineers want to have a place somewhere that can be a kind of "imagineering museum". They had a place in innoventions that displayed to the public how Disney Imagineering works, but it is no longer there. They hesitate to do it, because they never wanted to put a "museum" in a park, but they want to have a place that can showcase some of their works. I can see that many imagineers, like us, don't like to see old attractions taken down, because of all the work they put into them. The animatronics part of the One Man's Dream attraction is kind of a start. I would like to see a place like this built, not necessarily in a park.

There's no question that Disney has enough archived stuff to fill a museum. I agree that it shouldn't be in one of the parks, but I think it would be nice if it could be done. They could always partner with an existing museum to create a permanent exhibit of 20th century pop culture, or a history of aumusement/theme park evolution, or any number of other concepts. Goodness knows there are little museums around this country that are devoted to stranger things than that!

conntom

To the people that want Carousel of Progress to Close maybe
they should close the Haunted Mansion and Country Bears
and Pirates maybe they should close then all and all the ideas
of Walt Disney will be Dead to the people that want Carousel
to Die shane on you. You call yourself Disney fans to kill a ride
that Walt had a big hand on shame on you. Carousel is a Great
Ride it takes you to the pass and shows you how people live.
So Carousel and all the Disney Rides are true Disney rides and
should stay forever A true Disney fan.
P.S thanks to all that Voted for Carousel of Progress

:(

Herbie53

Premium Member
Originally posted by conntom
To the people that want Carousel of Progress to Close maybe
they should close the Haunted Mansion and Country Bears
and Pirates maybe they should close then all and all the ideas
of Walt Disney will be Dead to the people that want Carousel
to Die shane on you. You call yourself Disney fans to kill a ride
that Walt had a big hand on shame on you. Carousel is a Great
Ride it takes you to the pass and shows you how people live.
So Carousel and all the Disney Rides are true Disney rides and
should stay forever A true Disney fan.
P.S thanks to all that Voted for Carousel of Progress

:(

CoP is suffering the way it is. I know its hard, but you really have to put it out of its misery. You can't expect things to stay the same forever. Let it go out on top. There's no reason to hang on too long and watch the slow painful decline.

I'm sure there are very few people who WANT CoP to close, but it's pretty clear that it does not have a future in the Magic Kingdom. :(

Dizknee_Phreek

Originally posted by Herbie53

I'm sure there are very few people who WANT CoP to close, but it's pretty clear that it does not have a future in the Magic Kingdom. :(

but, um, honestly...does ANYTHING in WDW have a future? if we eventually have to put CoP out of it's misery now, then eventually we'll have to put every ride out of it's misery...it may be a few years down the road, may be a few decades down the road, may be a few generations down the road....but if nothing can stay the same, then that means eventually there won't be an inch left of the Disney World we see today. i don't know about anybody else, but the thought sort of depresses me. :(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom