Should Cars be Cancelled?

TP2000

Ok, so she’s a former singer turned diner owner. Still don’t think she’s portrayed in a demeaning way. I could be wrong.

Gosh, no. I don't think so either. Flo is exactly who she is, and the canon of Radiator Springs makes it very clear she was a popular leader of a Motown-esque girl group from Detroit (car capital of the world!) who retired after a wildly successful career in show business. She left the big time for sleepy Radiator Springs, and just sort of stayed there.

And she is voiced by a Black woman and is meant to sound like a Black woman. Which I think is great, because you wouldn't want a Swedish girl from Stockholm to try and pretend to be a Black woman from Detroit.

There's nothing demeaning about any of the characters in Cars Land, in my opinion. Just like I also believe there is nothing demeaning about any of the characters in the Tiki Room. Nor do I think there's anything demeaning about any of the ethnic/cultural stereotypes of the characters in It's A Small World.

Brer Panther

Much like how Raj from The Big Bang Theory gets away with being an offensive Indian stereotype because he's played by an actual Indian, Ramone is voiced by Cheech Marin, a man of Mexican-American descent, so his being stereotypical isn't a problem.

Italians are white, so nobody has a problem with Luigi being an Italian stereotype. Just like how the Animaniacs reboot can get away with mocking Russians because Russians are white too.

Also, they're cars. Much like how Brer Rabbit, Brer Fox, and Brer Bear are animals and ergo can't be "white" or "black", a car can not be "white" or "black" simply from their voice alone. Plus, Flo is voiced by Jennifer Lewis, who also voiced Mama Odie in The Princess and the Frog - the most non-racist movie that Disney has ever made!

I don't think Ramone, Luigi, or Flo are offensive stereotypes, I'm just trying to parody what I've heard many of the "Splash Mountain should be rethemed" people have said or implied.

TP2000

It’s time to stop the cancelling culture train.

I don't think you can stop it.

San Francisco already cancelled Abraham Lincoln as a racist, along with liberal Senator Diane Feinstein because she wasn't liberal enough.

There's no stopping a group of people who could say out loud... Abe Lincoln is racist and must be removed from public thought!

Just try and wrap your head around that thought on Abe Lincoln. Just try. And then realize there is no stopping the runaway cancel train.

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes

San Francisco already cancelled Abraham Lincoln as a racist, along with liberal Senator Diane Feinstein because she wasn't liberal enough.

There's no stopping a group of people who could say out loud... Abe Lincoln is racist and must be removed from public thought!

Just try and wrap your head around that thought on Abe Lincoln. Just try. And then realize there is no stopping the runaway cancel train.

Problem solved.

8D780991-AB66-4E90-8B84-DF8F68968542.gif

SuddenStorm

They are also singing chickens, but that didn't stop the log ride from being cancelled. :)

americasings_showboat2009ah.jpg

1613806470897.png

It's amazing to me that soon that scene won't be at Disneyland. I mean, it was a project led by Tony Baxter and Bruce Gordon. With characters designed by Marc Davis and sculpted by Blaine Gibson. Using a giant set piece that Bob Gurr consulted on. All tied together with perhaps Disney's most iconic song that's from Walt era. Not to mention the subtle set design choices- like painting it fall colors to help convey that it's the ending of the ride to guests.

WDI today would never design such a bizarre and unique show scene- and honestly Disneyland doesn't get much better than this.

TP2000

It's amazing how much Disney history is in that one scene-

View attachment 533725

It's amazing to me that soon that scene won't be at Disneyland. I mean, it was a project led by Tony Baxter and Bruce Gordon. With characters designed by Marc Davis and sculpted by Blaine Gibson. Using a giant set piece that Bob Gurr consulted on. All tied together with perhaps Disney's most iconic song that's from Walt era. Not to mention the subtle set design choices- like painting it fall colors to help convey that it's the ending of the ride to guests.

WDI today would never design such a bizarre and unique show scene- and honestly Disneyland doesn't get much better than this.

I wish young folks like you could have experienced America Sings. It was just so perfect, and so.... Disneyland.

Yes, it was a bit corny and schmaltzy. But it was schmaltz that had style and it worked. It was one of my all-time favorite Disneyland attractions. That revolving theater, the cast of dozens of animatronics on each stage, the way the hostess would start the audience clapping during each musical revolve of the theater, the pure nostalgia and patriotism of the show. It was magic, and I normally dislike that word because it's so overused. But American Sings was just... magic. I absolutely loved it.

That most of those animals ended up in Splash Mountain really helped Disneyland fans take to the new log ride quickly.

I still can't pass by that hound dog spinning in the boat in the Laughing Place and remember that he was once asking us who shot the hole in his sombrero, and perhaps maybe it was because he kissed Pancho's wife?

They don't write jokes like that anymore, sadly. 🤣

SuddenStorm

I wish young folks like you could have experienced America Sings. It was just so perfect, and so.... Disneyland.

Yes, it was a bit corny and schmaltzy. But it was schmaltz that had style and it worked. It was one of my all-time favorite Disneyland attractions. That revolving theater, the cast of dozens of animatronics on each stage, the way the hostess would start the audience clapping during each musical revolve of the theater, the pure nostalgia and patriotism of the show. It was magic, and I normally dislike that word because it's so overused. But American Sings was just... magic. I absolutely loved it.

That most of those animals ended up in Splash Mountain really helped Disneyland fans take to the new log ride quickly.

I still can't pass by that hound dog spinning in the boat in the Laughing Place and remember that he was once asking us who shot the hole in his sombrero, and perhaps maybe it was that his ex-wife was back in town?

I've listened to America Sing's soundtrack many times- and have enjoyed learning about the attraction over the years. I'd say it's in the top three past attractions I wish I could experience- with Country Bear Jamboree and Mine Train Thru Nature's Wonderland. Oh, and the original Pirates before the '97 changes.

It's interesting that WDI made the decision to close it and use the figures in Splash Mountain- with no actual replacement for America Sings. To this day, that building hasn't been used in a meaningful way. And America Sings closed over 30 years ago.

TP2000

I've listened to America Sing's soundtrack many times- and have enjoyed learning about the attraction over the years. I'd say it's in the top three past attractions I wish I could experience- with Country Bear Jamboree and Mine Train Thru Nature's Wonderland. Oh, and the original Pirates before the '97 changes.

It's interesting that WDI made the decision to close it and use the figures in Splash Mountain- with no actual replacement for America Sings. To this day, that building hasn't been used in a meaningful way. And America Sings closed over 30 years ago.

It's one of the weirdest and saddest parts of Disneyland history; the story of that building from 1987 to 2021. 34 years and counting it's been empty or its been crap. Over half the time the park has even existed, and that giant building has been empty or disappointing.

Innoventions was complete crap, even when it opened to great fanfare in 1998 and was staffed by perky CM's who were obviously trying to make it work. Plus some deep-pocketed sponsors like General Motors and AT&T and others. But it was dull and it was crap.

I vaguely remember doing the Carousel of Progress at Disneyland. I have more vivid memories of that ride later at WDW, and I really do enjoy it (although its current state under WDW management is shameful). But America Sings is still emblazoned on my memory like it was just two weeks ago. It's funny how really good rides can do that for us Disneyland fans.

Brer Panther

I still can't pass by that hound dog spinning in the boat in the Laughing Place and remember that he was once asking us who shot the hole in his sombrero, and perhaps maybe it was because he kissed Pancho's wife?

It's incredibly depressing that, if the Splash Mountain retheme isn't cancelled, all of those America Sings animatronics will wind up being destroyed.

By the way, I think the hound dog in the Laughing Place is actually the dog from the "Hound Dog" scene (the dog with the hole in his sombrero is grey and a bit furrier, the dog in the Laughing Place is brown).

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
A little tribute time... one of my favorite parts of Cars Land is the record room in the back of Flo's V8 Cafe. They have records on the wall that are direct rip offs of famous girl group singles by The Supremes, The Marvelettes, Ronnie Spector, Darlene Love, etc., etc. Except all car themed and performed by The Motorama Girls.

I love that room (I love Flo's V8 Cafe completely and was planning on taking my boys there last year). The entire idea of Carsland is obviously phenomenal.

While I don't think cancelling Abe Lincoln is okay, we have to remember that everyone from that time period was racist to some degree. Obviously you have the 'out and out' racists, but to think that anyone during that time really thought as Blacks as being equal is just not realistic. Like I said, I don't think we should cancel Abe Lincoln (or really anyone from that time period except for the out and out racists). It's like the same reason I'm not surprised if a 90 year old is racist. Someone that old lived when Blacks weren't treated as equal and were probably raised thinking that from their parents.

CaptinEO

Original Poster
Guess people disagree with me on this one. I'm not saying I'm personally offended by Cars, I just don't see it being acceptable in today's political climate.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom